Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
I started a new position at a mid-size financial firm a while back and we are having trouble making use of all of our monitoring data. We have the actual collecting down pretty well, unfortunately the 'front end' for all of it is a shared Outlook inbox with 380 (seriously) sub-folders that all the alerts go into. Every so often you scroll thru and see if any have new items... It's a giant pain in the rear end.

For historical reasons(one old guy who pre-dates me)we are married to Heroix Longitude for alerting. I really do not have any problems with it - a little clunky non intuitive but that seems to be a trend with all monitoring solutions. This is the main source of our email / text alerts.

Other products we use are Lansweeper (inventory), Scrutinizer (bandwith and traffic), and Sharepoint / Visio (documentation).

Ideally, I'm looking for a product that can serve as a visual front end to all this data. a perfect-world solution would be a real time network map with images for servers / switches that change colors based on criteria and the ability to arrange said images atop a blueprint of our building. This program would ideally be able to pull from our existing data sources (Heroix, Scrutinizer, etc...) but polling snmp / WMI on its own wouldn't be the end of the world. All our apps are SQL backend so that does not seem too hard.

a web based view would be ideal since our desktop support team could check a (simplified) map to see status of essential services. We have a LOT of in house applications that would be great to visualize for them and upper management.

We've played with several but not found many map-centric products that impressed us.

Mikrotik's The Dude

I love The Dude, used it extensively at my last job. It meets 90% of the requirements, easy to use, lightweight, and has an awesome name. Sadly, Mikrotik has gone silent on support and updates for it going on three years now and I'm reluctant to adopt for that reason.

Zabbix

I like a lot about it - clean interface, active community... but no agentless WMI monitoring.

Zenoss

supposedly supports agentless WMI via plugin. Seems about the same as Zabbix?

Nagios

The only picture I found of it's mapping capabilities looks like poo poo and is in a different language. Everyone I've talked to who uses Nagios hates it and only sticks with it because redoing their monitoring would be insane. I played with it a while back and was not impressed.

Intermapper

Looks promising but not much info about it out there... I signed up for a demo and they never got back to me.

There were a couple others (cacti, openNMS) that were nice but focused more on graphing - our existing solutions handle that well enough so while it would be nice to have it all on the same view, it's not a selling point.

Lets hear it! how do you all keep track of so much data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Are there any mapping softwares that work in conjunction with scanning tools?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Do you mind spending money? Solarwinds NPM can do what you want, including agentless WMI monitoring. Their SAM product can also do all your application monitoring (SQL, exchange, etc) via agentless WMI/powershell as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zabbix pretty cool, we use it to monitor almost 2000 hosts. And it does have a nice mapping feature. But it wants to be your entire monitoring, graphing and alerting solution. I don't think it would do so hot trying to pull data out of other systems for purely display purposes.

We're 99.9% Linux so I can't speak much to its Windows monitoring capabilities. A quick google search (which I'm sure you've done too) does turn up some community tools for agentless WMI, though.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Came here to post this.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
WhatsUp Gold is really, really, really good.

But anything Solarwinds is definitely the "nobody gets fired for buying an IBM" of the networking world for a reason.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone used Observium as a replacement for Cacti?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

If you don't mind doing some configuration work Zabbix is nice as noted above.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krataar posted:

Are there any mapping softwares that work in conjunction with scanning tools?
What kind of scanning? The Dude can automatically build your network map (senses what is plugged into what and draws links, etc...) as long as snmp is all set. I think Intermapper supports this as well.

Been playing with Zabbix for the last week and it's good stuff, the setup is really kludgy and the documentation hasn't been updated in some spots but enough people have it installed where google can answer any of my questions. I built out some good looking maps for our core switches so far, working on some of the servers today.

I was surprised how much info is available over snmp via the WMI bridge, we may be fine using that! Trying to get the auto-discover rules working today and not having much luck, you'd think they would include a couple pre-made rules to copy...

Pudgygiant posted:

But anything Solarwinds is definitely the "nobody gets fired for buying an IBM" of the networking world for a reason.
Hadn't heard of this one, will check it out today!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zabbix is just an enhanced cacti, right? What's the difference?

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Zabbix wants to do inventory, monitoring, reporting, alerting, everything... Cacti is (mostly) a really nice frontend to RRDtool and specializes in making graphs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

They're completely different projects if that's what you're asking. Zabbix isn't a fork of Cacti or anything. But yes they're both tools for gathering and displaying data. Zabbix has some additional features, as Dirty Beluga mentioned.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Wicaeed posted:

Anyone used Observium as a replacement for Cacti?

I'm using it. It looks great and works well with devices it knows how to handle. It doesn't seem possible to add new types of devices, however I haven't tried that much. It's nice that when a new port comes up on my switch stack, it starts graphing it automatically. It's great for just looking at traffic graphs, etc.

edit: also you can't add a device by IP, so you have to give it a DNS name, which I guess is fine.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

going to write whatsup gold in my budget for 2015, we're using PRTG right now

• Locked thread