Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's true when it comes to the defensive line annnnnd nope pretty much just the defensive line. He will be a very good dline coach or possibly coordinator for someone.

The o-line isn't totally his fault. Rich Rod didn't recruit the position at all and there wasn't much for Hoke to work with.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mark Richt is a Very Good Football Coach

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Well if Michigan wants to go back to "maybe sniffing a New Years bowl once every few years" they know who to call

Once every few years in this case being "almost literally every year"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Deteriorata posted:

Well, this year is iffy. We need to beat both Northwestern and Maryland to be bowl eligible. We might get one of them, but winning both is unlikely.

Talking about Richt. Michigan is garbage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I mean a game that matters. Nobody gives a poo poo about going to the Outback Bowl every year.

I dunno, you said New Year's game. But whatever, they've gone to several BCS bowls too. Other than riding arguably the best player in college football history to a title before I was loving born what has Georgia ever done that makes you think they should be way above where Richt has had them for the majority of his time there?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I'd take Richt in a heartbeat, but he's not a name that's come up anywhere in discussion of potential coaches, and I doubt sincerely that he's leaving Georgia any time soon.

I'm not sure why it's being discussed here and not in the coaching thread.

Because someone brought him up. I'm fairly sure the thread can survive the brief digression.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Iowa (and I assume Big Ten) fans in general have a huge complex about "New Years" bowls, regardless of the fact that there are a bunch of them that have Big Ten tie ins, they're all treated like a giganticly big deal and any non New Years bowls are looked down on.

He literally said "new year's bowl" you doofus. I think it's silly to treat them all the same (although ISU fans getting pissy about it even though the Outback Bowl is in fact a bigger deal than, like, the Independence Bowl are equally silly), but that's how he decided to group them.

And you bring this up way more often than I have ever seen any Big Ten fan actually brag about it, so I'm not sure who the one with the complex is here.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 3, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan is the biggest certain vacancy right now by a wide margin and would be like 90% of the posts in the other one. It's fine on its own.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Although had Hoke started Gardner, I do think Michigan would have won.

haha, really? That game wasn't even close. Gardner has caught some bad luck, but he's also not very good and has lost to a lot of lovely teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

I'm so ashamed to be a Michigan fan. Jesus Christ.

Can I join someone else's bandwagon?

Please?

It's not like you went there or something dude, root for whoever the heck you want.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
For a guy who everyone keeps saying doesn't have the personality to coach in the NFL he sure has won a lot of loving football games in the NFL.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fisticuffs posted:

I laugh every single time Rich Rod wins at UA lol he could be stylin at Ann Arbor right now

He was really lovely at Michigan and a lot of it was his own fault.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean they should have let him bring Casteel with but once they didn't agree to that he made things worse by being stubborn and refusing to let his defensive coach run something he was more comfortable with. The scheme is fine in theory but trying to run it just for the sake of running it is really dumb.

And then he hired Greg Robinson.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A running back coach's primary job is to recruit and he's really good at that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Okay fellas, what you need to do is find the hole, run through it, and try not to drop the ball.

Welp that's pretty much it, gotta go snap chat some 17 year olds, peace.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

So if RichRod's awful experience at UM was his own making, what changed between then and now at 'zona?

It wasn't all his own making, but the biggest change is that he actually has a coordinator who knows how to run his preferred defensive system (3-3-5) now. In his defense, he did want to bring that coordinator to Michigan with him, but when he wasn't allowed to instead of being flexible on that side of the ball and giving his coordinator the autonomy to run his own system, he kept stubbornly jamming a square peg into a round hole by forcing guys who had no experience with that type of defense to run to. He's undisputedly a very good offensive coach and his offenses at Michigan were always good, but his defenses were horrendous and completely sank the team.

His other big mistake at Michigan was the way he recruited on the offensive line, and it's probably still too early to say whether or not he's learned from that at Arizona.

I'd never say it was all on RichRod, but this idea that he was doing a great job and got undermined by Michigan at every turn is wrong, I think. Carr and Carr loyalists did hate him from the very start and made things harder than they should have been, but he made a lot of legitimate mistakes on his own. At the time no one really questioned firing him too much, it only looks silly in hindsight because he's done well at Arizona and Michigan hired a much worse coach to replace him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 2, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Rich inherited a hell of a quarterback in uh, Nick Sheridan and Steven Threeyeah you know what nevermind.

I kinda wonder what Threet would have been if he hadn't busted up both shoulders as part of Rich's ill-fated experiment to discover what it would have been like to see John Navarre run the option.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 2, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He repeatedly reached the highest peak any Big Ten team dares to dream of: getting embarassed in the Rose Bowl.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Yes, but the majority of his career only 1 team went to a Bowl from the Big Ten.

This was not true for "the majority" of his career and even if it were he still almost always lost the ones he did make. His career bowl record is 5-12.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the limited number of bowls meant you had to be really good to even get invited to one. Losing one wasn't a negative because just getting there was impressive.

Also, his three best teams 72-74 had combined records of 30-2-1 and went nowhere because of the Big 10's policy of Rose Bowl or nothing.

I would think the 71 team that went undefeated in the conference was better and it ended the season by losing to a middling Stanford team. And his best team by ranking was 76, which lost to an admittedly really good USC team. E: apparently I forgot they finished 2nd in 85, but they lost the Big Ten to Iowa (who of course went on to lose to Rose Bowl, although some of that was their running back blatantly throwing the game) so suck it.

It's just easier to pretend that those ones were better because you didn't get to watch him lose to Arizona State or something.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 5, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There weren't really a ton of bowl games back then and the Big Ten opened it up a lot sooner than those two are trying to pretend to protect the reputation of St. Bo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When Hayden Fry dies I hope we leave a pair of aviators and some baller white pants hanging in a locker somewhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Colin Cowherd says its someone nobody is discussing but that will make everyone happy.

Which I mean, sounds like pure horseshit to me because who has possibly not been discussed at this point? Enjoy like Mike Sherman or someone I guess

If you want to pretend that Colin Cowherd is a source of anything except intentionally awful opinions then maybe Mora, but no one should ever listen to Colin Cowherd for any reason.

Bob Stoops also somehow keeps coming up because people apparently have not learned anything from the other 9564 times he has turned down the chance to take another job, including multiple jobs that are better than Michigan.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 5, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Frustrated by their inability to hire his father, they are turning the program over to Bill Belichick Disciple Brian Ferentz.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Les Miles basically laughed them out of his office a few years ago. What exactly makes them think this time will be different?

Sure LSU is one of the best jobs in the sport, has access to the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, and has a loaded roster that could compete as soon as next year, but Michigan won a lot of games in the 70s. So obviously he desperately wants to go there and start all over in his 60s rebuilding a terrible program.

This is a fanbase that genuinely believes the highest paid coach in the NFL might leave his current job because he wore a Michigan hat one time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Congratulations to the University of Michigan on hanging tough against the mighty Eastern Michigan Eagles in basketball!

We have a whole thread for college basketball, it's okay to leave TFF once and awhile. Please reserve this thread for what it actually for, which is apparently our 7,000,000th arguement about the merits of various chain pizzas.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

I feel like David Cutcliffe would at least have to consider it because as fun as it is to pretend that Michigan isn't a step up from Duke it kind of is

Sort of

He's super old and has turned down a bunch of jobs that would in theory be a step up because he's comfortable and doesn't want to start over this late in his career. I totally believe that he told them he's not interested. I doubt they got to the point where they made a formal offer because they seem to be waiting on Harbaugh to turn them down for that, but they probably reached out to gage interest and were shot down.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Jim Harbaugh is not named the next Michigan Head Football Coach AsInHowe will be banned, thanks and god bless.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I shrug and maybe go get some frozen yogurt or something, I dunno.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am pretty sure even Harbaugh doesn't know where he's coaching next year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Neodoomium posted:

He also obviously uses his role at team USA to get extra access to recruits

I don't get why this makes him an rear end in a top hat.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There are? Someone should tell Cal.

Cal literally volunteered to coach the Domenican team just so he could recruit Karl Towns more, which is hilarious and awesome.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Guys, the shut in who attempted to fight a a kid at an indoor soccer game and then used it to show how Frank Clark really isn't That Bad A Guy says Jim Harbaugh is a done deal so if could all listen to him that would be great

He's never said that. Or anything remotely like that. He's just said that it wasn't completely off the table (as your best buds at FootballScoops reported), and that, from what he heard (and as angry as this makes you for some reason, he actually does have people close to the program who talk to him) a lot of people within the program thought Michigan had a good shot at getting him. He always was clear to point out that other people said otherwise. He was hardly the only person saying it was possible and now it's starting to look like it's actually going to happen so I don't even know how you're still trying to say he was wrong. He never said "it's definitely happening" he just said "there is a decent chance it's happens and people saying otherwise are obviously wrong based on how everyone is behaving". Brian is a dweeb with weird opinions, but he's not just a random blogger it's pretty clear you didn't actual read anything he wrote about this story.

You are seriously mad about this whole deal for no good reason.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

Man, that was really fast.

Six hour ones go through without admin approval and I happened to be reading the thread at the time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Or I'll just tell AsInHowe to quit being an irritating goober and smugly talking about his "sources" for poo poo that has been posted all over twitter and everywhere else.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If people would spend more time posting about the actual coaching search and less about AsInHowe being an irriating jackass he will have way fewer opportunities to be an irriatating jackass.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pretty much everyone agrees that he's not going back to the Niners. The question is whether he'll wind up at Michigan or another NFL team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Jets are really really bad outside of the defensive line and that's not factoring in that Ryan likely has the defense playing well above it's actual talent level.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

michigan doesn't deserve addazio's dudes

He's been surprisingly okay as a head coach but at this point that's pretty much just hiring Brady Hoke again.

So yeah they should definitely do it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well the reality is that even if he *is* the coach of Michigan, I don't think any of you should be under the delusion that's going to last very long. Particularly if say a choice job like, oh I don't know, the Cowboys, came open.

lmao if you think jason garrett is ever getting fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

Did you ever consider Jason Garrett dying from an errant Tony Romo pass?

tony romo is a good quarterback who does not throw very many of those though

• Locked thread