Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh this should be fun :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're going to get some great AD who will calm the fanbase, say all the right things, give everyone plenty of hope and peace of mind

and then promptly hire John L. Smith :twisted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Good article at The Daily with President Schlissel talking sports, academics (specifically UNC), and athletic directors. As to the time scale involved here:

There's lots of stuff to quote and highlight which basically becomes the entire article, so I would encourage clicking through and reading it on their site.

quote:

University President Mark Schlissel discussed the “sports stuff” that has transpired over the past semester

hahaha. This is a pretty good article though and full credit to him to being patient on the whole process.

Related, Detroit News is saying Hackett will be paid $600k and his appointment letter says his term is "indefinite".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brad Bates says he's happy at BC.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Interim AD Jim Hackett says he'll be the one to decide Hoke's future.

So basically have Hackett fire him and have the new AD hire the new guy I guess. Holy lol if Hackett is the one to make the new hire.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Karmalaa70 posted:

Letting an interim with no experience make this hire seems insane on the surface, so I'm guessing/hoping that Hackett has some prior relationship with Harbaugh and/or Miles. Or maybe the U-M administration is really just galactically incompetent and incapable of learning from previous fuckups.

ding ding ding ding

Having an interim AD hire the new coach is the dumbest loving thing. It would be the exact same thing as if Dave Brandon hired the new guy before he was canned.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Hackett is going to be the full time AD I have a feeling.

I don't know about that, as I recall, Michigan was pretty adamant about saying he was only an interim AD.

E: Then again, stranger things have happened.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd always understood that Les Miles basically laughed them out of his office when they tried to get him after Rich Rod and used it to get a big raise.

E: Unless you meant they chased him right after the Carr firing, which I don't know if they did.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo that statement :stare:

It's every politician's non-answer you've ever seen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

If he doesn't come, it's the fans' own fault for not donating enough to the Hire Harbaugh Fund:

https://www.patronicity.com/project/hireharbaugh#/

How could this possible fail?

aahahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He's going to get in the same slapfights with UM Administration as he is with 49ers management and it's going to cause some hilarious confusion because it's a MICHIGAN MAN doing it. :allears:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Michigan's athletic budget is $150 million. I don't think a million or two for Hoke's buyout matter much.

They waited until January 1st to fire RR just to save $1m on his buyout. They would easily do the same to Hoke.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FootballScoop is usually pretty solid but they've gotten more and more into the unnamed "OUR SOURCES SAY..." bullshit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hey what bowl game is Akron going to this year?

:hfive:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Raku posted:

Does a team that's not going to a bowl need an interim head coach?

Probably a title-only thing while assistants do what they can to keep recruits. Dead period doesn't start for another couple weeks and odds are they'll still get paid through either the end of the contracts (if they aren't hired elsewhere) or the end of bowl/playoff season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bruce Feldman saying the same.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting:

Benne posted:

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 32s33 seconds ago

On the #Michigan coaching search: UM tried to hire Greg Schiano 6 yrs ago. I could see them giving him a close look again.

:getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alouicious posted:

So if RichRod's awful experience at UM was his own making, what changed between then and now at 'zona?

Arizona has an AD that doesn't suck, and the former coach isn't trying to actively undermine him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rich inherited a hell of a quarterback in Matt Scott as well when he first came in. Kid was basically tailor-made for Rich's offense.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Rich has a dumptruck on the way, it just tips in 2017. He, Byrne and Miller are part of an investment deal that some boosters put together that vested 5 years in the future. I think it was worth ~$17M at the time.

I completely forgot about that. That was one of the stranger things I've seen worked into a contract in a long time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lloyd Carr hasn't been a part of Michigan football for over 7 years now. If he influences the decision at all then holy poo poo Michigan has learned absolutely nothing in that time frame.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Ops is basically an internal do-all position that handles things like the daily schedule, travel arrangements, etc. It should have zero effect on deciding a new head coach.

I don't doubt that Lloyd is going to still be in the public eye as this goes on, but Lloyd having influence over these proceedings is exactly the kind of poo poo that got them into this gigantic mess in the first place.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha, you couldn't be more wrong.

OK yeah I phrased that poorly. I mean in an official capacity.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Leaving his office as a mausoleum is some serious "A Rose For Emily" creepy poo poo.

drat that's a great way to put it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Les Miles basically laughed them out of his office a few years ago. What exactly makes them think this time will be different?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the new dead period basically goes Dec. 15 to Jan 15

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

All sources come from the la-li-lu-le-lo. The head coach of michigan is merely a puppet of The Patriots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

D  E  H  U  M  A  N  I  Z  E  Y  O  U  R  S  E  L  F  A  N  D  F  A  C  E  T  O  S  C  H  I  A  N  O

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahahaha

the block M is an infinity stone

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Ronan the Accuser to coach Michigan football

"They call themselves 'Michigan Men'"
"What a bunch of A-holes..."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not for nothing but If you work with those groups then I can't imagine the department is too wild about one of their employees spouting off about their plans on internet forums.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They don't know a thing. At a big institution like that the only people who are privy to the situation are the AD and their search firm. Coaches that are literally on their staff right this minute don't know what's going on, but I'm sure all-pro sign-maker AsInHowe has the inside scoops.

Oh I don't disagree. I was basically calling him on it in a different way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

I swear to god if I wasted a choice Lebowski quote on you guys

I thought it was good :shobon:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shut the gently caress up, Donny! G.E. Schembechler! Glenn "Bo" Edward Schembechler!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not for nothing but has Michigan finally named a full time AD? Seems like that should be the first domino to fall.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BigBoss posted:

I don't think Lochmann's sentiment was off base, but holy crap learn to pick your words.

Yeah I can see what he was trying to get at but he picked an incredibly dumb way to say it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Grantland: Dear Jim Harbaugh: Just Go to Michigan

Listen to this wise man, Jim.

quote:

Harbaugh’s not well liked where he is. Staying in the NFL, with the Niners or another team, just means he’ll face the same pressure every year, along with a constant wave of new challenges that come with fighting to stay dominant in the parity era — juggling cap numbers with a front office every spring, and micromanaging adults who don’t want their lives micromanaged.

Yeah, because there's absolutely no pressure at a place like Michigan. Sure, dude's gonna be goddamn royalty at the start but at this point I don't picture the honeymoon lasting long, if he does indeed go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is amazing

E:vvvv hahahaha

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah honestly I wouldn't be shocked to see that be the case. Saying he wouldn't interfere with the decision on Brandon was a really thinly-veiled announcement that he wanted his opinion known.

• Locked thread