Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

It's true when it comes to the defensive line annnnnd nope pretty much just the defensive line. He will be a very good dline coach or possibly coordinator for someone.

The o-line isn't totally his fault. Rich Rod didn't recruit the position at all and there wasn't much for Hoke to work with.

Rich recruited it, but not the kind of guys that Hoke needed because Rich recruits Oline guys that basically can't play in anything but a spread offense. (Though our Oline w/o Rick Trickett was loving terrible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 6m6 minutes ago
Dave Brandon is resigning as Michigan’s AD, source told @ESPN. Press conference this afternoon

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BigBoss posted:

I'm convinced that Bo's ghost is haunting the school. His memory is probably the worst thing that could happen to Michigan. They've spent so many years fetishizing him that they've been stuck in 1994 for the last 20 years. Even Bama moved past Bear, so why can't the Michigan institutional organization get over Bo?

It took Alabama literally hiring Nick Saban and winning a bunch of titles.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They don't know a thing. At a big institution like that the only people who are privy to the situation are the AD and their search firm. Coaches that are literally on their staff right this minute don't know what's going on, but I'm sure all-pro sign-maker AsInHowe has the inside scoops.

I can attest to this. Like even here at WVU, which is small compared to something like Michigan usually only a few people know what's actually going on when a search or something happens until they're ready to start leaking information out.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

I made a lot of friends with boosters so I basically know everything that's going on, to the point where the two rival camps in the athletic department leaked me a lot of stuff trashing each other.

In my experience most boosters have zero idea what's going on at any real program.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

The AD is likely going to be Brad Bates (friend of Harbaugh) after Hackett (friend of the Harbaugh family) is gone.

:allears:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like, it seems like we have to do this everytime one of these old white person schools has a job opening, but seriously. This is as dumb as when Witz said loving Bob Stoops was the next head coach of the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, book it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dattserberg posted:

Some of you act like Harbaugh and Miles have no connection to the program and for them to dismiss with prejudice the Michigan job is a foregone conclusion. To think these guys wouldn't consider coming back to their alma mater and former team to bring them back from a low point in the program's history is awfully presumptuous. Especially considering you're looking at one job change that could be considered a lateral move and the other a clear downgrade but at best move back to the college ranks.

I'm not saying these two are both hot after the job but to just dismiss them both as candidates is silly. It's not like people are throwing out BB, Lombardi, and Tom Landry for the position. For some of you, don't let your disdain for Michigan get in the way of seeing that it's still a sought after job; especially with these coaches who were raised in the 70s and 80s when Michigan actually was a top 5 destination.

Michigan has had two job openings since 2007 and both Miles and Harbaugh were available then and didn't take the job. But beyond that, why we're all laughing, why we all think it's funny is because you have a poster claiming to have The Inside Scoop; which is about on par with "My Dad Works for Nintendo."

And another dude who thinks that Les Miles is "the worst case scenario."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

BigBoss posted:

All this talk about coaches switching teams got me thinking, what would I consider the be the top HC gigs in the NCAA?

If I had to guess based not only on how good the team is/has been historically, but also things like institutional and fan support, ability to build a legacy, stuff like that, my list would look something like this:

Tier 1-A
---------------
Michigan
Ohio St.
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
LSU
USC

Tier 1-B
-----------
Penn St.
Wisconsin
Nebraska
TAMU
Oregon
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida
UGA
Florida St

Obviously there is some flux, with schools like Penn St. trending down because of the whole child abuse thing, or Oregon trending up over the past decade or so due to rich Uncle Phil, but overall I'd have to guess that these are the king poo poo jobs in CFB that all the GAs and position coaches dream about when they go to sleep at night. Off the top of my head Saban is the only person I can think of that has gone from HC of one 1-A to another 1-A, and that was with a break in between. Meyer was the most recent 1-B to 1-A that I can think of, but overall I'm not really thinking of a lot of guys moving around in this pool.

Michigan is deffo not Tier 1 atm, and I would absolutely not put Nebraska and Wisconsin in that same pool of jobs. Hell, Penn State isn't a GREAT job.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would a leak matter?

I was working with Kirk Herbstriet when that all happened and he had it from the lips of the Michigan AD that it was happening and wanted to go to air withit but the they asked him not too, it got out before Miles could talk LSU about it and it basically torpedoed it because he'd made it really clear to Michigan he wanted to talk to his bosses at LSU before he made a final, final decision.

But Michigan was a better job then and hadn't gone through seven years of turmoil. He wouldn't know for sure who is boss was going to be and I think he's pretty happy in LSU now.

Also, if you let your HC pick your AD you're retarded an you can likely kiss a bunch of other coaches good bye if they don't like him.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 14, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Adun posted:

Was there any iconic college football coach that wasn't a huge rear end in a top hat?

Coach K is a legit nice guy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Halah posted:

It's been whispered that he had some sort of undiagnosed dementia toward the end and he wasn't far from being asked to retire anyway.

It was diabetes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Looks like everything's pretty much coming together as I said it was

:allears:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I think we've somehow how surpassed Bob Stoops to the Irish, Book It.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is college recruiting. There are rules.

There are? Someone should tell Cal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

I swear to god if I wasted a choice Lebowski quote on you guys

i chortled

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Cal literally volunteered to coach the Domenican team just so he could recruit Karl Towns more, which is hilarious and awesome.

I know, right? It was awesome.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I don't put much stock in anything coaches say publicly with regards to other jobs.. Denying any interest is something they have to do in order to keep things under control as they're preparing for their bowl game.

He may be telling the truth, who knows. I've heard a dozen other coaches say the exact same thing the day before signing a contract with someone else, though, so I don't think it means a lot.

I think the window of opportunity for Les honestly closed in 2007.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

:suspense:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

It's so cool that the folks here at MGoBlog and SomethingAwful.Com have scooped every major news outlet on this story. Also that AsInHowe is privy to all of Jim Harbaugh's post-game texts (obviously the only time he uses his batphone.)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Howe Brown from MaizeBloods.com is reporting,

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

We shall see if there's any truth to this tomorrow, then.

:suspense:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's not like some guy on Mbgoblog made it up. It was linked from some area blogs that are run by people vaguely near being reporters.

People like that pretty often are right (and more often disastrously wrong) about this poo poo, the text thing came from them also, not some random person.

:laugh:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Linguica posted:

Except he's said nothing of the sort about it being a sure thing?

I really hope Harbaugh does go to Michigan so I can see your backtracking about well just because the geek blogger said it was possible didnt mean he ACTUALLY had any real information because really what football insiders would ever actually be talking to a autist nerd blah blah

If it were such a done deal and apparently so many people knew about, you can bet your rear end one of the major news rings would have sniffed it out and already started talking about it, relentlessly.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

All you have to do is look at some posts where his SOURCES told him Nussmeier was going to be the interim head coach, and then when he was proved wrong went "oh well things change when you aren't making a bowl game" despite the fact that his dumb loving "sourced" prediction post-dated when they were even ineligible for a bowl game.

Again, I don't have a problem with people wanting and speculating. I do have a problem when people go OH NO I HAVE THESE INSIDE SOURCES THAT SOMEHOW NOBODY ELSE DOES because either they're lying or they're dumb as a loving brick and in AsInHowe's case I'm really not sure which it is because he's a compulsive liar and he's also the dumbest motherfucker to ever be born in the United States of America.

Calmer than you

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Major news sources don't report on news that Michigan doesn't want to get out, unless the old coach doesn't like the new coach, in which case, SCANDAL.

Major news sources know where their access comes from. The ones reporting on it now don't really give a drat.

:allears: You do know that no one at ESPN gives a gently caress about their "access" right?

Oh no, you don't because you've wrapped yourself in such a Gordian knot about this dumb poo poo. Like you're literally just making up poo poo as you go and claiming to know some well heeled boosters as your only viable proof. When you've got some concrete evidence beyond "a couple guys on the internet who make their entire living off page views" says, please come let us all know.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 16, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

You do realize that a lot of ESPN's reporting is finding something someone else posted online, then rewriting the story with the headline of "Sources:_________", right?

ESPN isn't going to be the one to break something like this, whether it's Michigan or otherwise.

OKay then big boy. Your dad works at Nintendo, we get it.

wheez the roux posted:

The worst part is that if Harbaugh does turn out to be the coach he's going to take it as some sort of validation.

Like I don't think its completely out of the realm of possibility that he's going to be their next head coach, I mean anything is possible; but I what I find hysterical is that he's claiming its a "done deal." If it were a done deal, it would already be announced. There's literally no reason to sit on it at that point.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 16, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

My sources aren't boosters, I'll put it that way.

Name them.

All of us here who have "inside access" have been willing to do so and until you do so, everything you say is basically suspect because its all just a rehash of poo poo being splattered on the internet by other people. (Including the bit on Drunky Moehler)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Punch Card posted:

Seriously we're talking about the person who decided to show up to an ESPN Gameday show with a sign that read "HI LIZZIE SEEBERG" as a joke and then tried to play it off as if he were trying to raise awareness of Notre Dame's horrific rape cover ups. AsInHowe is at the very least a hosed up piece of poo poo and probably has a serious mental disorder that he clearly is not getting help with.

I hope if Jim Harbaugh is hired, that he's wearing a "HI LIZZIE SEEBERG" sweatshirt.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

If people would spend more time posting about the actual coaching search and less about AsInHowe being an irriating jackass he will have way fewer opportunities to be an irriatating jackass.

What is there really to post atm though? I don't mean that as jack-rear end as it might sound, but the truth is that Michigan seems to have done a fairly good job of keeping their search well contained -- internet rumors about JH not withstanding.

I don't think its completely unthinkable he won't be their coach, though I'd venture a guess its unlikely. The 9'ers have a good deal of leverage on it and I can't imagine they'd be in any (real) hurry to make a move this week or, frankly next. Harbaugh obviously could agree to make the situation easier by resigning and negotiate a settlement with them on that front, but again he might want to wait until he can see what the NFL offers from the Jets, Raiders and presumably the Bears are going to look like (since none of them can contact him until the 9'ers season is actually over in two weeks) before making a decision. If you're Michigan that seems like an awfully big gamble to take unless you know your #2 candidate is going to still be available if Harbaugh should decide to take the zillion dollars that are going to be thrown at him. There's also a very real possibility that York might decide just to keep him another year and see what happens (is your pool of candidates really any better next year?).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Pretty much everyone agrees that he's not going back to the Niners. The question is whether he'll wind up at Michigan or another NFL team.

I shouldn't have said a very real (wasn't what I meant) -- a possibility -- would have been sufficient.

But yeah, I would imagine that if he's interested in going to another NFL team, this is going to have to wait till at least the end of the NFL season (sidebar: that's the dumbest loving rule.) If he really does want to be at Michigan, there's no real reason that can't happen fairly quickly outside of negotiating the terms of his exit from SF.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

The big problem with every NFL scenario is that contract with the 49ers. It sounds like the Baalke-Harbaugh relationship is terrible, and Harbaugh doesn't want to do anything that would practically aid the 49ers in his exit. The only team that doesn't have some sort of baggage with Harbaugh or the 49ers is the Jets, and that job is a garbage pit.

Then it still comes down to him basically having to resign and void his contract, which means he's going to have to pay them -- which still basically helps them. The 9'ers have the leverage and there's no real reason for them to give that up.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

and yet an NFL garbage pit is still leagues better than a B1G garbage pit

I wasn't going to tell him that, but yes. The Jets aren't exactly that far off from being able to compete in their division.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

That seems to be what Harbaugh is struggling with. The NFL is more prestige and money, but coping with the egos in the front office with his own massive ego may not be worth it.

At Michigan, he would have full control of everything and little interference from the AD. That's worth a lot to him.

But drat, if he sticks with the NFL in the end, whoever ends up with the Michigan job is going to have a rough time of it. He will never be forgiven for being NotHarbaugh.

Not only that but I honestly think if he takes the Michigan job, he'll bounce as soon as he can back to an NFL job that might be better than the ones open this year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Not for nothing but has Michigan finally named a full time AD? Seems like that should be the first domino to fall.

Again I think this is really important. If they really are going to let Harbaugh pick his own boss, they're making a massive mistake. For one, you're basically telling him he can't be fired and for two, you're basically telling the rest of the Michigan coaches they're not nearly important enough to mater -- which may or may not be a big deal for you, but I am sure someone like John Beilein is watching closely.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Regnevelc posted:

I love how pissed people are getting at ArtisHowe.

This is amazing.

I am not pissed, I just think its comical.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

The only flaw in the mechanics is that he doesn't necessarily need to be traded to coach. He can come to Michigan immediately, or, if reports are accurate, San Francisco will cut their losses and get rid of him without a trade because they need a coach in 2015.

They have absolutely zero reason to do that. Why give up leverage (and money) to help a guy you don't like?

AsInHowe posted:

In the larger picture, I think Harbaugh knows what he wants to do. I think he's known for a while, and it's all a matter of clocks expiring. I don't think the NFL people are credible sources, in all honesty. I think most of the mainstream media stuff has been hyped up, and I think Harbaugh wants to come to Michigan, put things back in order, then hand the program off once a quality NFL job opens up. Harbaugh wants to win, and he wants to win now. It will be easier in Ann Arbor than in New York, Oakland, or Chicago. And if you're gonna take time off from the NFL to wait for a better option down the line, why not go somewhere where that gap year would make you beloved for life?

And there's the homer goggles.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 16, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Look at it like the Bo Pelini situation in another thread. It's the same thing, only an NFL team and a college team, instead of a major college team and a minor college team.

Those aren't even close to being the same situations.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

At this point, every NFL job that is rumored for Harbaugh is a terrible situation. Unless he's given absolute complete control, why would you go somewhere that will just devalue your coaching stock and reputation?

The last major 49ers coach was Steve Mariucci, he left the 49ers for a terrible team and now he's on NFL Network.

Get this: Michigan is a bad situation.

The Jets aren't as bad as their record and really just need someone who can throw a football to be decent; Miami was competing for most of the season and has a good base to work with -- and yes yes I know you think Miami isn't going to hire him but that's really just kind of silly to think; Chicago has a ton of talent; the Raiders are a dumpster fire, yes.

But all of those programs are going to offer him a silly amount of money and don't require him to pay money to take the job.

Again, I don't think Michigan is completely out of the realm of things that could happen, but I don't think it's his Option A by any means and if you're Michigan you're playing an awfully risky game there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

The Jets are really really bad outside of the defensive line and that's not factoring in that Ryan likely has the defense playing well above it's actual talent level.

They've ran the ball extremely well (they're 2nd in the NFL) and their defense has largely been good -- though some of that could be Rex. I honestly think if they had a remotely decent QB they wouldn't have been so bad. But like we've said, I don't think anyone really knows what he wants to do and I think it would be silly to think that he'd make a decision before the other NFL teams can even make an offer.

I additionally think that almost has to mean that option 2 is Greg Schiano.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread