Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Panzeh posted:

Bring back Rich Rod.
No you can't have him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dattserberg posted:

Like when he called out the university on their steering of athletes to degrees as promising as "General Studies".
"What is it you study?"
"Uhh...things. Generally."

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Alouicious posted:

So if RichRod's awful experience at UM was his own making, what changed between then and now at 'zona?
The big differences are that the previous staff (Mike Stoops) didn't try and convince players to transfer out. They also gave him a huge budget for assistants at Arizona, which is why the staff is basically RichRod's old West Virginia staff. Turns out the defensive staff was really loving good.

RichRod's mistakes at Michigan included trying to run the option with statuesque Michgian Man QBs (he clearly learned from that and just goes with the best QB, calling plays based on his strength; Solomon can run, but he is not Pat White or Denard Robinson at all and is 9th in passing yards with a 27:7 ratio), insisting that his defensive coordinators run the 3-3-5 (which not all coaches really know how to do as a base defense; RichRod likes the scheme, but it takes someone like Casteel or Rocky Long to make it work well), and being largely inflexible. It seems that he's happy now that he has Casteel as DC, and the offense, while it looks like RichRod's offense, is rather pass-heavy compared to Michigan or West Virigina. This may be because Arizona is really deep at receiver, but a lot of the talent is young, so that looks to be the way things will continue.

MourningView posted:

His other big mistake at Michigan was the way he recruited on the offensive line, and it's probably still too early to say whether or not he's learned from that at Arizona.
We'll see next year. It's a really solid veteran line now, but they were all recruited under Stoops, and those O-lines were always good. I've no doubt he's learned, given how the offense has looked from year to year, so I'm really hopeful that since they've recruited remarkably well at all other positions the O-line won't be an issue going forward.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AsInHowe posted:

Yost, Crisler, Oosterbaan, Schembechler, Moeller, Carr, Hoke, Harbaugh.
This is just a list of coaches that carry an official Approved by Dr. Lloyd Carr, M.M. sticker, though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Phonepostin' so no copy/paste, but I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/17/7408293/a-bored-high-school-student-explains-michigans-coaching-search

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

wheez the roux posted:

michigan blocking 48m on harbaugh would be loving hilarious because it's like they're so loving delusional they think they can ever be an alabama. it's the big 10. it's a poo poo conference and no coach will change that. even a harbaugh will not turn that dumpster fire around in 6 years, unless turning it around is evaluated as "making a bowl game"
Uhh did you see what he did to Stanford?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It'll be really funny if this all happens and Michigan doesn't hire Harbaugh.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Deteriorata posted:

Perhaps this will make it a bit clearer as to why Harbaugh would want to keep things on the down low:

Hoke is very close to the whole Harbaugh family and they absolutely did not want to be seen as chasing Brady out of his job. Talk of Harbaugh coming back to Michigan has been going since last spring, when it was clear the players in SF wanted him gone.

Jim Hackett played at Michigan when Jack was an assistant coach and has remained close to the family since. Given his lack of experience as an athletic director, his hiring as an interim makes no sense outside of his relationship to the family.

There are plenty of other data points out there that make the dots even easier to connect.
But on the other hand, Jim Harbaugh is a loving lunatic.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Jim Harbaugh has probably killed someone just to watch them die.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Glumslinger posted:

We would build him a statue

:patriot:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

he seems like kind of a jerk and being a jerk is not actually a good thing no matter what football fans seem to think, imho
I'm not sure he's much of a jerk. He seems more like an inscrutable, hypercompetitive psychopath.

Dunno which is worse. Or if there's much of a difference.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 24, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pugnax posted:

What's the story with Harbaugh and Sherman?
Rumor has it Harbaugh didn't exactly talk him up in the leadup to the NFL draft.

Then again, Sherman was a good corner at Stanford, but he had only played two years at the position. Not sure that the rumors are true, and he was probably considered a gamble going in regardless of what Harbaugh said. Still, it probably all feeds into Sherman's massive shoulder-chip.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ramadu posted:

I'm a bit biased here but I think Arizona getting a slightly used RichRod is pretty far up there.
Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh are the best hires in the last decade, easy. Maybe Chris Petersen.

RichRod was an amazingly good hire, probably one of the best of 2012, but it's nowhere near that kind of home-run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AsInHowe posted:

Nothing brings people together like hating Prairie Home Companion.

A while back, I went to a Tigers game on the same night that that show was across the street at the Fox Theatre. I've never seen so many skittish white people wearing vests and poo poo in my life.
Let's combine tailgating and Prairie Home Companion, shall we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaB9JxAU_wI

• Locked thread