Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Lovely Planet is also good, with an excellent soundtrack and neat visual style

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In short: Microsoft is the sole reason the FPS genre BLOWS.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kazvall posted:

I usher you back to a time, when Halo was supposed to be a PC release. From a company making loving Marathon, I had high hopes. Microsoft decided to develop a console and Halo became a console only title. All the actual awesome features got taken away, and a lovely ballpiss assgaping shield simulator was born. gently caress you Microsoft. I am bitter as gently caress. Water it down, buttchuggers. Water it down.

*holds halo 2 hostage behind windows vista* well halo 2 didnt perform well on PC, theres no reason to release other halos. PC players dont care about halo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Kazvall posted:

In short: Microsoft is the sole reason the FPS genre BLOWS.

Halo was actually Apple only originally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2RMHeMGDDU so we might have been even worse off

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Back in the day you had to work to be good at a game. These spoon-fed 2000 era pissant child gamers want success to be handed to them, no skill necessary. They want dopamine pumping endlessly without any work. Without even the loving genes to back them up. This is why FPS games suck rear end. Watered down bullshit meant to appease little charlie in 8th grade just playing with laser accurate prostate guns to make him feel better about getting value brand cereal for breakfast.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Schnedwob posted:

I have this game on my steam wishlist because it looks neat. Is it worth it?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

John Romero started programming on an Apple computer and I'll be god damned if you tell me it wouldn't have been better on an Apple PC.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kazvall posted:

Back in the day you had to work to be good at a game. These spoon-fed 2000 era pissant child gamers want success to be handed to them, no skill necessary. They want dopamine pumping endlessly without any work. Without even the loving genes to back them up. This is why FPS games suck rear end. Watered down bullshit meant to appease little charlie in 8th grade just playing with laser accurate prostate guns to make him feel better about getting value brand cereal for breakfast.

K

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Silver Striker posted:

It's pretty good, yeah.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm struggling to remember FPS games I didn't have fun playing actually.

I've always been kinda Naturally Decent at most of them so I tend to have fun making people scared when I show up on a server a little bit but there's only some I don't get extremely tired of, like Quake for instance.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Schnedwob posted:

That pic reminds me of Japanese Castles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wormskull posted:

I've always been kinda Naturally Decent at most of them so I tend to have fun making people scared when I show up on a server a little bit but there's only some I don't get extremely tired of, like Quake for instance.

:rolleyes:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Lazy, hunched over puppets not good enough to get one kill in Quake3, silently hiding in a corner, to recharge their shields.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quake is one where a lot of the people still playing it are better than me at it so that's probably a major reason why I haven't gotten bored of it as well, although in its case since it's nearly dead it can be difficult to feel like logging on.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Silver Striker posted:

It's great, but be warned that halfway through there's a huge difficulty spike that turned me off of it. I like the overall scaling of the first few areas, but for some reason they decided to ramp it straight up after a certain point

Lovely Planet aside, the Fistfull of Frags resurrection is pretty fun, not to mention free

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fistful of Frags is dookie from a hippopotamus's (said like the Big Daddy Rob Schneider guy) rear end.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

is tribes ascend still good? havent touched it in a long time and i remember it being really fun

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Bobnumerotres posted:

is tribes ascend still good? havent touched it in a long time and i remember it being really fun

no

Hi-rez is somehow even worse than Jagex at handling IP's

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It had to of been good in the first place to be still good, as well.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I played and enjoyed the gently caress out of Turok 2 with its 8 fps, 2 feet of draw distance, horrible jumping mechanics, idiotic placement of important items and keys, and awful stage hazards. It's okay though since it was the first game I played where you could blow off enemy heads with a shotgun or watch helpless enemies flee in terror from a rocket launcher.

I can't play 1 hour of Halo or CoD before getting bored.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

It had to of been good in the first place to be still good, as well.

you seem to hate the gently caress out of everything that is not quake 3 and it gets kind of old

Lumpy the Cook posted:

no

that sucks. im tired of playing TF2 and that pretty much being the only good FPS option left these days.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well here's how that works, I like UT well enough, I don't like it enough to play it when quake 3/live is around and just as dead. The first couple tribes were probably good but Tribes Ascend is rear end. Battlefield is near the bottom and all the crap that rips off of it, like Crysis 2 and Planetside 2 and poo poo... don't even get me started on that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Call of Duty and TF2 are like Meh, people play them and their alright as far as FPSes people still play on the computer go, and all the stuff that has tried to copy CoD the community lasted about a week after release so it's not something you have to worry about.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

battlefield could be really good if it werent designed by shitheads, who are being whipped by even bigger shitheads to make it by christmas.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Strangely no one seems to want to touch the TF2 formula and I imagine TFC and QWTF are probably about as dead as Quake by now. Counterstrike I won't bother trying to rank by release but similar to CoD more or less all there imitators last about a week or are exclusively played in Siberia and Korea. Uhhh stuff like WolfET and Urban Assault, also dead but probably epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lastly I guess I would put all console shooters except Halo a little under Battlefield, Natural Selection is a mood thing, and Halo is wherever you can say "as good as a console FPS gets".

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

another plague of the FPS market is that if it isnt CoD or battlefield people go "huh?" and the playerbase is <100 people out of the gate, even if it is something epic sounding like humans vs nazi dinosaurs

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It's depressing

e: Oh and Counter Strike.

I wish Valve would pick up an arena shooter dev team and release it, like they did for Dota.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Bobnumerotres posted:

another plague of the FPS market is that if it isnt CoD or battlefield people go "huh?" and the playerbase is <100 people out of the gate, even if it is something epic sounding like humans vs nazi dinosaurs

the gaming population at large is a mass of slackjawed pigfuckers who wouldn't know a good game if it strolled right up to them and blasted 'em a few good meatshots

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Lumpy the Cook posted:

no

what ip does jagex have other than runescape... ?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Wikipedia says they own "FunOrb" which is good enough for me. lmao

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

THE PENETRATOR posted:

well they sort of cemented the awfulness of Ace of Spades, but it's not really their fault that the community they had to cater to was absolute garbage

e:

Wormskull posted:

Wikipedia says they own "FunOrb" which is good enough for me. lmao

that's extremely lmao.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i think the worst fad to come out of modern fpses is the standard COD arsenal. COD's arsenal is seriously so loving boring. no one wants to make cool weapons anymore.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Falsum posted:

I wish Valve would pick up an arena shooter dev team and release it, like they did for Dota.

judging by how episode 3 stopped existing and all they ever talk about is DOTA and their plans for DOTA the chances of that are slim

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's actually regenerating health and loadouts as the primary source of ammo, but that one is worth noting I guess.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
they cant even release an updated diretide... sheesh!

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
http://a.pomf.se/apxgpp.webm

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Rest in peace, Gord.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Wormskull posted:

It's actually regenerating health and loadouts as the primary source of ammo, but that one is worth noting I guess.

I don't like all the funtionally identical weapons and really low ttk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Wormskull posted:

ehhh yeah i guess but if the weapons are dull as gently caress i'm not really gonna be as engaged no matter how you handle health or weapon equipping. just imo.

• Locked thread