Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stink fag posted:

I don't like all the funtionally identical weapons and really low ttk

Same but regenerating health and ammo from spawning is the primary reason people camp even in games that ostensibly have other goals, IMO. That stuff just exacerbates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I judge Counter Strike as the source of the CoD plague, and thus I will always watch it with scorn

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i remember cod4 having actual recoil on its weapons, by the time MW2 came out every gun was just a loving laser beam with different sound effects

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Bobnumerotres posted:

judging by how episode 3 stopped existing and all they ever talk about is DOTA and their plans for DOTA the chances of that are slim

I thought less than ten guys were working on Dota?

I think they only talk about it because they're not ready to announce the other stuff yet (e.g. L4D3 on Source 2.)

Imagine Quake with the competitive framework they've given Dota, that would be awesome.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It would also be run by valve and probaby sucked of all its soul.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
the consolization of the first person shooter genre is a disgusting thing

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
less than ten guys work on Dota all the time but everyone in the company works on whatever the heck they want, apparently

hopefully they are working on ricochet 2

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

It would be a hell a lot better than what is happening with Quake Live

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think there's a chance of it happening since I don't see any amount of that crap short of a million dollar prize pool making people want to play Quake again who haven't before or retired long ago.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I don't think there's a chance of it happening since I don't see any amount of that crap short of a million dollar prize pool making people want to play Quake again who haven't before or retired long ago.

what if they like..i dont know..made an arena shooter that wasnt quake OR tf2? it was just..a new game?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Wormskull posted:

They really hosed up TF2, but Dota 2, which probably goes against every Valve design philosophy, is still fine.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What would they make that hasn't been before and also would be good. How could they make something as good as Quake. I think MP FPSes are just done.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

what if they like..i dont know..made an arena shooter that wasnt quake OR tf2? it was just..a new game?

Wormskull still wouldn't play it in because it isn't quake 3 and fps despite he getting into it well past it's prime and defending it like if he had been playing from release day

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What's that FPS that had Mickey Rourke voice the player character. That one.

Of its many failures, duke nukem forever failed miserably by not having Mickey rourke voice duke

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Wormskull posted:

What would they make that hasn't been before and also would be good. How could they make something as good as Quake. I think MP FPSes are just done.

They could just pick up the Reflex dev team, which looks like Quake but with stake jumping.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Bobnumerotres posted:

Who in their right mind is going to do that?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

Who in their right mind is going to do that?

the unreal tournament guys, apparently.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Wormskull still wouldn't play it in because it isn't quake 3 and fps despite he getting into it well past it's prime and defending it like if he had been playing from release day

My FPS list on steam is huge so it's rude to say I don't play anything else, but the reason I'd only play it a month or whatever is because I'm fairly confident saying that stuff like Quake and to lesser extents UT and whatever else are the essential arena FPS experience, and there beauty is partly in the elegance and simplicity of there design. How do you make something "new" without it being convoluted at that point, is the question that ought to be asked. And if your not making something new do you really have the balls to dethrone quake in its own style.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
is there a great deal of diversity in the arena shooter genre? i'm not super familiar with the Quakes, UTs, etc. and i'm wondering what some messianic reboot of the genre would be like

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Falsum posted:

They could just pick up the Reflex dev team, which looks like Quake but with stake jumping.

Reflex is just cpma with modern graphics as far as I can tell, right down to the maps they use to demo it, so I wouldn't call it new.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Schnedwob posted:

is there a great deal of diversity in the arena shooter genre? i'm not super familiar with the Quakes, UTs, etc. and i'm wondering what some messianic reboot of the genre would be like

A lot of the differences is just weapons and map design philosophy and how you move around in them. Game modes as well, I guess, but I think the basic premise of a arena shooter is they drop you in an arena with all the stuff you need to kill the other people lying around in it.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I'd be fine with reskinned Quake with stake jumping and a healthy playerbase though.

Amusingly, it's not new but it would be such a breath of fresh air.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And that's why people say Halo counts because even though it starts bridging the gap between old arena stuff and whatever your supposed to call counterstrike and cod and battlefield type things, I guess tactical light sim or team tactical or whatever, at least in the first few they follow that same design of the stuff is laying on the map somewhere and you have to take care of it to win. They dropped needing to keep your health and armor up by moving around the map though, which I guess you can say is the first nail in FPS coffin.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

fps games that i have played recently and enjoyed:
payday 2
planetside 2
tf2
borderlands 2
probably a few other 2s that i cant remember right now

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont understand how anyone can enjoy planetside 2. it is like playing a worse battlefield on a server with too many players for the map so you just die to poo poo you cannot see and you pretty much cant ever tell whats going on

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have a friend who hasn't played any fps past Doom 2, and he still plays that on a weekly basis. I think he might be on to something.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

i dont understand how anyone can enjoy planetside 2. it is like playing a worse battlefield on a server with too many players for the map so you just die to poo poo you cannot see and you pretty much cant ever tell whats going on
And it literally never ends.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

its pretty hard to get into because it takes a good amount of time until you're familiar enough with the flow of the game to make sure you're always hanging out in the places where you can find entertaining and worthwhile fights. but once you can do that reliably and learn how to play effectively it offers some really cool stuff that you cant get anywhere else

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Titanfall is fun on the PC because you get to jump around and run on walls and then you get a friendly giant robot to hug you into its chest

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vargs posted:

its pretty hard to get into because it takes a good amount of time until you're familiar enough with the flow of the game to make sure you're always hanging out in the places where you can find entertaining and worthwhile fights. but once you can do that reliably and learn how to play effectively it offers some really cool stuff that you cant get anywhere else

I remember when you didn't have to seek out fun in video games.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

holy poo poo those custom edition halo pc maps were so loving bad rear end. There was one huge open flying vehicles only combat level where you could fly longswords and drop nukes on people.

also how is counter strike anything like COD. being a team player in CS is so important. COD is the game where you spawn, run 10 feet, and an enemy spawns in the same spot and shoots you in the back.

Pookum fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 31, 2014

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

I like MP FPS with creative movement and Titanfall was released this year, so I can't complain.

There are a few good SP FPS games every year and the truly great ones have always been rare.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

My FPS list on steam is huge so it's rude to say I don't play anything else, but the reason I'd only play it a month or whatever is because I'm fairly confident saying that stuff like Quake and to lesser extents UT and whatever else are the essential arena FPS experience, and there beauty is partly in the elegance and simplicity of there design. How do you make something "new" without it being convoluted at that point, is the question that ought to be asked. And if your not making something new do you really have the balls to dethrone quake in its own style.

imagine 10 new basketball clones coming on espn every year

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
did the boost in players from the quake live steam relaunch already leave lol

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

This is the real poo poo. I've spent many hours loving over my friends on Rainbow Road with rocket launchers.

Everyone is talking about the same games, where's the mention of Painkiller? Also is Knack any good?

muddream
Oct 13, 2014

Painkiller remake was doo-doo, I kept getting stuck on small objects while bunnyhopping around graves. It barely looks better and they're giving you 1/2 of the levels at twice the price of Painkiller Black and the other half as expensive DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I really liked that game Shadow Warrior because it wa scool, but not a lot of other people seemed ot like it. Thoughts?

it was really fun actually. especially the katana / special moves.

• Locked thread