Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I remember maybe 5 or 6 years ago we tried to do this, and well:

Mornacale posted:

Post the thread you want to see in the world.
Let's get it right and vote for the correct winners of the only awards that matter, the 2014 SASSIES!

I've set up an email address at sassies14@gmail.com; check the bottom of this OP for the format. I'll tabulate and report on all the results, and AT MINIMUM print out very nice looking awards on heavy cardstock paper and mail it to the players c/o their teams. If any TTM autograph hounds want to give me any advice on sending directly to players, I'm open to that as well.

Bonus! If anyone has a line on nicely-done but small plaques (that could be put in a bubble mailer and sent out), I can allocate up to $50 of my own money to get them ginned up, but the clock's ticking because I'd like to send these out NO LATER THAN the 15th of November. Which means-

:siren::siren: VOTING ENDS NOVEMBER 15th :siren::siren:

I don't know what time, I'm on the West coast, so latish I guess.

Voting rules: You get 1 vote for each category, you knobs.

Categories Are:

quote:

Old Hoss Radbourn Trophy (2 awarded, AL & NL)
Given to the best pitcher over the 2014 regular season

quote:

Mike Trout Trophy (2 awarded, AL & NL)
Given to the best positional player over the 2014 regular season

quote:

Bob Hamelin Award (1 awarded, MLB-wide)
Given to the best player (pitching or positional) who exceeding his rookie eligibility in 2014

quote:

Voros McCracken a-WAR-d (1 awarded, MLB-wide)
Given to the player (pitching or positional) whose statistical contributions exceed traditional metrics

quote:

Pitcher of Record (1 awarded, MLB-wide)
Given to the pitcher who preformed best, in the estimation of the voters, while accruing 1 or fewer GS

quote:

Jamie Moyer Award (1 awarded, MLB-wide)
Given to the best player in MLB aged 35 or over on Opening Day

quote:

Ozzie Smith Memorial Trophy (1 awarded, MLB-wide)
Given to the key player in the best single fielding event of the year (highlight-reel stuff, share your YouTubes)

quote:

Joe Pos Memorial Script (1 awarded, MLB-wide)
Given to the author of the best writing about baseball in 2014

Please send your ballot to :siren: sassies14@gmail.com :siren: no later than November 15th. Use the following template please:
code:
Goon Name:

Old Hoss Radbourn, AL:

Old Hoss Radbourn, NL:

Mike Trout, AL:

Mike Trout, NL:

Bob Hamelin:

Voros McCracken:

Relief Pitcher:

Oldest Best Player:

Play of the Year:

Joe Posnanski:
Also, this isn't a Sheep thread. Feel free to post your ballots and debate them here. I'm also amenable to another category if you guys can think of something super-obvious I missed. Also new names to get us closer to the reality of a photo-op with a pained grimace of one of the players holding up our plaque.

Also, here's the link for your defensive play of the year vote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH6l2ToFTQE&t=630s

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fielding? Relief pitchers? Maybe an award for guys over 35 or something?

I dunno, we might as well come up with some more gimmicky categories.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Added all three suggested categories.

Anyway, here's my ballot (feel free to quote if you want to publicly put your ballot in the thread)

Goon Name: Everblight

Old Hoss Radbourn, AL: Felix Hernandez

Old Hoss Radbourn, NL: Clayton Kershaw

Mike Trout, AL: Mike Trout

Mike Trout, NL: Mike Stanton

Bob Hamelin: Jose Abreu

Voros McCracken: Felix Hernandez, for being a 26 win pitcher.

Relief Pitcher: Wade Davis

Oldest Best Player: Ichiro

Play of the Year: Russell Martin throws out Billy Hamilton bunting

Joe Posnanski:Madison Bumgarner's Fastball is getting deadlier by Tom Ley

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Maybe a Wackiest Hit award because I want to vote Hunter Pence for something.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You gotta give him a shoo-in, like craziest eyes or most tongue shown.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Spoeank posted:

Most Successful Youth Baseball Camp

I really like the Over 35 award idea.

Qwertyiop25
Jan 19, 2011

D is for Dank
It's Hammerin' Hank
Green in his name
And Green in his bank.
Gotta have a best TOOTBLAN category somewhere

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Cespedes' insane throw from right field has to be a contender for play of the year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How about "the biggest bullshit" award, essentially like instead of a normal out, there was a bloop hit that won a game, a wild pitch that loses a game, etc.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

seiferguy posted:

How about "the biggest bullshit" award, essentially like instead of a normal out, there was a bloop hit that won a game, a wild pitch that loses a game, etc.

Giants Win World Series Again

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Spoeank posted:

They should all be like that, honestly. MVP is boring. Though, to be fair, Hunter Pence has Silliest Home Run down, on that eye-high fastball off Jordan Zimmermann in late August.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

seiferguy posted:

The clear winner of that is "The Giants Entire Postseason" and I don't think many people want to give the Giants more awards.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ambassador of Funk posted:

The clear winner of that is "The Giants Entire Postseason" and I don't think many people want to give the Giants more awards.

If we discount the postseason I have a good candidate for that which isn't the Giants.

Hell if we include the postseason I have a decent one if we make it one game only.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

If we discount the postseason I have a good candidate for that which isn't the Giants.

Hell if we include the postseason I have a decent one if we make it one game only.

Ooo, what game you have in mind?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Ooo, what game you have in mind?

This game, go down to the ninth inning.

The Royals try to steal third twice with 2 outs in the 9th and it works out somehow. The pbp doesn't mention it but Gore was running on Cain's infield single. If I remember anything other than the ridiculous wild card game about this Royals season it'll be that game.

e: Here's the MLB recap.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 31, 2014

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

This game, go down to the ninth inning.

The Royals try to steal third twice with 2 outs in the 9th and it works out somehow. The pbp doesn't mention it but Gore was running on Cain's infield single. If I remember anything other than the ridiculous wild card game about this Royals season it'll be that game.

e: Here's the MLB recap.

I would love to hear what's Hawk's commenting on that game was like.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Spoeank posted:

Basically I feel this "hit" by Hunter Pence deserves some kind of award.

I guess it could apply to the "Biggest Bullshit" category but giving that award to a Giants player almost feels like cheating.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Basically I feel this "hit" by Hunter Pence deserves some kind of award.

I guess it could apply to the "Biggest Bullshit" category but giving that award to a Giants player almost feels like cheating.

It should be something like "The Made With This in Mind Award," or "Best Thrown Bat Base Hit." Something really on the nose.

Unless you want to count it as a batflip.

There needs to be a Best Batflip of 2014 Award.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeycp posted:

There needs to be a Best Batflip of 2014 Award.

Belt is in contention on that one for me.

18th inning.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

No contest.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This all day.

We should also award stuff like best outfield assist and best double play or whatever.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
John baker pimping his walk against Chapman was one of the funniest things I can remember from this season.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My intention for the bullshit award was a single play, not an event (because yes the Giants winning it all would be that).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, adding Best Batflip category.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dumbest way to win a game is a walkoff BALK

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I propose a category of Most Absurd Baserunning, of which I nominate Josh Harrison, Josh Harrison, and Jarrod Dyson

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Agreed there should be a "most absurd baserunning" award, but really we need two. One for success (like those gifs) and one for the most noteworthy TOOTBLAN.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

http://m.mlb.com/video/v33918329

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

This is gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.