Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Per Request. Bellow are some of the Q/A from the NCAA thread with some information about me already.

Dattserberg posted:

What is it you do again? I know it's been covered before but I'm curious.

I do what's called official stats. Basically I am the guy telling the dudes in the truck what information they need to put in their graphics and depending on the crew, calling the game for stuff like down and distance and then any specialty stats (I am notorious for having historical stat poo poo on hand because i am huge dweeb.)

Here's a picture of my seats for gameday -- this was for Oklahoma:

I do *mostly* college basketball and football, but am expanding into Hockey and Baseball with Root Sports and usually worm my way into working a Steelers game a year.

Action Saxxon posted:

:hf:

I got into being O Stats coordinator this year since I'm no longer an SID. This is the life...I haven't been able to break into the pros yet but I'm also looking to work with Root Sports since they're taking over the Rockets/Astros games down here.

:hf:

It's hard to do because so many guys have being doing it for a long, long time. I have a couple of pretty good contacts who get me the Stillers game (I've had the home Ravens game like three years in a row now) but yeah the actual pro gig is sweet as hell. Like I've been doing this about uh? 9 years now and I am just now getting to the point where I can reliably not get knocked off for national games because the hiring guys actually know who I am.

Dattserberg posted:

That's sweet as hell. Do you work for WVU or are you some sort of independent contractor that gets hired by the network? Congrats on having a job that most of us in TFF probably envy.

I mostly contract independently with either a crewing company or the network directly.

It's a sweet gig because I have a field pass so I get to do this before games:

And had tacos with Erin Andrews a few years ago.

Sash! posted:

Is that something that pays enough to be a job or something you have to do on the side?

If I lived in a major city where I could work games beyond WVU, yeah. I mean, I get between $150-225 a game for football and basketball and travel expenses if I have to travel to the site (when I do stuff for Root mostly.) When I did the Steelers games I usually do "specialty stats" where I track something really specific -- like two years ago (i think) I tracked like Ben's throws to Heath Miller and someone else and the results, and then tracked what the Steelers offensive production was when Ray Lewis was on the field versus off the field.

Sash! posted:

How many people do they have working these? I guess I'd always sort of assumed that someone just did, like, all the passing stats and they were able to generate the "Ben threw to Miller" stat on the fly from a computer.

Late to this, but some of it is auto generated by the guys imputing stuff into the computer, but its not really easy to just pull that up quickly and plop it into a graphic. Typically the "graphics" crew is libero operator (the person actually making the graphics happen), a shot caller, and a bug (the thing that the score is actually on) operator then an o-stats guy doing what I do and a "talent" stats guy who's working with the on-air guys handing them stats and other poo poo. In bigger crews, like what you see on on ESPN's prime time productions or any of the national FSN shows (given what I know about CBS's college basketball, I assume their football operation is even crazier) you'll have more people involved and you might have a couple graphics people and more "stats" guys (Fox has been having talent, ostats, and a first and ten guy) Which means my job is sometimes different from crew to crew and production to production.

Like Baylor, I was working with a guy who wanted to call the game entirely and all I had to do was correct him if he was wrong and occasionally give them stuff like drive chart or FG distance. Other times I am not even really on with the Talent Stats because I am doing nothing but servicing the bug operator or for ESPN's basketball show "slider" (which is a little different than just the bug.)

--

So there you go. Fire away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
How'd you get involved in it? I already do stats for a living in a research aspect and wouldn't mind trying my hand at something like this.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Best/Worst press box spread? MAC mostly just has disappointing box lunches, Ohio State had....loving everything. They even had McDonald's frappes and poo poo it was wild.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Could you get away with a joke Tales of the Tape if guys have the same nickname, like Megatron and Megatron?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Scarf posted:

How'd you get involved in it? I already do stats for a living in a research aspect and wouldn't mind trying my hand at something like this.

Dumb luck really.

I started out as a manager for the football team but I wasn't on scholarship (they have scholarships for them, yes.) I was talking to the then SID Shelly Poe, who's now at Auburn as Associate AD for Communications at practice one day. I mentioned I was interested in doing PR and specifically sports public relations. We chatted some more and eventually I left being a manager to work for her during games. From there it kind of just fell into my lap.

I did some work spotting for the BigEastTV crew which was really cool and was maybe my favorite crew I've ever worked with. Dave Simms, who's now the play-by-play for the Mariners was so great to work with and doing the spotting really helped me learn the flow of production for a game. After that, I started doing O-stats and it just kind of grew from there.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Best/Worst press box spread? MAC mostly just has disappointing box lunches, Ohio State had....loving everything. They even had McDonald's frappes and poo poo it was wild.

The worst was actually the Steelers believe it or not. Crappy boxed lunches in a bag.

WVU does an okay job with catering -- its not the best, but they give you plenty of food.

Best total spread was March Madness, but our Women's team was sponsored by Texas Roadhouse for a while, so it was like all the yeast rolls I could eat.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Nice thread.

Wonder if we could get some sideline photographers talking about what they do in here?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Nice thread.

Wonder if we could get some sideline photographers talking about what they do in here?

That would be cool.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The worst was actually the Steelers believe it or not. Crappy boxed lunches in a bag.

WVU does an okay job with catering -- its not the best, but they give you plenty of food.

Best total spread was March Madness, but our Women's team was sponsored by Texas Roadhouse for a while, so it was like all the yeast rolls I could eat.

UVA had a pretty boring spread and then they did that bullshit where at halftime all they have out are deserts.

Do you keep your field/press box passes or is that just something I do because I'm weird.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Roughneck old-fashioned blue-collar catering right there

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

UVA had a pretty boring spread and then they did that bullshit where at halftime all they have out are deserts.

Do you keep your field/press box passes or is that just something I do because I'm weird.

Hehe, no I keep mine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Roughneck old-fashioned blue-collar catering right there

No, they're just cheap as gently caress.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm a sportswriter - mostly prep - and wish I could move into a sweet gig like this. There is a junior college here in town that I'm on very friendly terms with, but I know they don't have the budget to hire someone full-time, especially as they have six athletic teams total.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hehe, no I keep mine.

I get sideline passes for my day job and you best believe I keep that poo poo :cool::respek::cool::respek::cool:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Is there a way to have fun/build experience doing this part time? Even pro bono. I do BI analytics all day and I've "joked" that financial independence for me would be the first step towards me doing fun stats work for sports analytics.

Any tech skills in demand? Competencies? What places could I look to even make contact with someone?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hehe, no I keep mine.

DJExile posted:

I get sideline passes for my day job and you best believe I keep that poo poo :cool::respek::cool::respek::cool:

Akron's sideline pass is literally a wrist band. Like the one you would get at a lovely club to mark that you're 21.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Akron's sideline pass is literally a wrist band. Like the one you would get at a lovely club to mark that you're 21.

that's weak as hell

gently caress akron

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Our photo pass is a bright orange thing you wrap around you leg.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

Is there a way to have fun/build experience doing this part time? Even pro bono. I do BI analytics all day and I've "joked" that financial independence for me would be the first step towards me doing fun stats work for sports analytics.

Any tech skills in demand? Competencies? What places could I look to even make contact with someone?

Honestly is hard to just break into. A lot of the guys who do it have been doing it for a long, long time. Smaller production crews sometimes need people and the SID usually farms it out. Like I said, this job literally just fell into my lap.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.
I'm gonna jump in answering questions as well, hope that's ok. If any of you are interested in working in college athletics, hit me up.

Scarf posted:

I was an SID for 5 years and we were the people who work with TV crews. Now I'm no longer working for the school, but my bold boss throws me the gig whenever the TV producers inquire if they know of anyone to help out with stats. Some TV producers have their own guys in the area or they fly them around. Typically, SIDs arrange for this.

If any of you are students and would like to do this, go intern at your SID office. Can't promise you will get the gig but that's the best way in.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You haven't feasted on press box food until you've been to UTEP. A literal smorgasbord of local fast food joints provide food, like 30 different options. The entire town rolls out for the food, it's pretty spectacular. Louisville and Texas Tech were the classiest and had the overall best spreads. SMU had legit coffee and all you can eat fish tacos which was amazing for a three-hour rain delay. At Houston the last year of Robertson Stadium, we didn't have any catering budget so we teamed up with our letterwinners association and sent workers/media out to the tailgate, which got really awesome reviews from all the fat scribes.

Rutgers was by far the worst for me - they served up some really lovely New Jersey BBQ that the caters bragged about being "Northern BBQ! This isn't what you guys are used to down there."

Holy poo poo it was the the nastiest BBQ I have ever tasted. The distinct taste probably came from marinating all the sides of meat by a NYC homeless man's ballsack. It was just nasty and I bought several chaser hot dogs from the concession stands.

What do you do that gives you access to press box spreads?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Dumb luck really.

I started out as a manager for the football team but I wasn't on scholarship (they have scholarships for them, yes.) I was talking to the then SID Shelly Poe, who's now at Auburn as Associate AD for Communications at practice one day. I mentioned I was interested in doing PR and specifically sports public relations. We chatted some more and eventually I left being a manager to work for her during games. From there it kind of just fell into my lap.

I did some work spotting for the BigEastTV crew which was really cool and was maybe my favorite crew I've ever worked with. Dave Simms, who's now the play-by-play for the Mariners was so great to work with and doing the spotting really helped me learn the flow of production for a game. After that, I started doing O-stats and it just kind of grew from there.

Shelly Poe is a legend and it really sucks what happened to her at Ohio State. Minor nitpick but she's currently the Assistant AD for Communications - another of my old bosses, Cassie Arner, is the Associate AD for Communications at Auburn :)

kayakyakr posted:

Nice thread.

I've shot thousands of photos on the sidelines, credentialed a bunch and am well versed in what they do. I can answer any questions if they don't show up but there's a few sports photogs around this joint (STAY BEHIND THE loving DOTTED LINE, PHOTOG ASSHOLES)

Detroit_Dogg posted:

4th quarter is for deserts, not halftime. Sometimes I was too nervous/hungover to eat before a game.

I throw away all my credentials except for big events like NCAA tournaments, bowl games or any of the other credentials I had to design. I'm not very sentimental though.

Sash! posted:

Is that something that pays enough to be a job or something you have to do on the side?

One day ideally I hope to turn it into a full-time gig but that'll be years of networking. With the pay being around $300-600 per football game, just a side job for now. If you can get in with any of the lead network announcers, you can make a great living off doing this.

And I have met a couple full-time roadies/statisticians - but they travel with the production crew and assist in the breakdown/set up of the game. During the event, they're just kinda overflow help and put themselves in the stat booth just to help out. They make a living doing this, but they have other jobs functions. Me and Andichu just get to show up 30-60 minutes before the game, and take off soon as we're off the air.

Sash! posted:

How many people do they have working these? I guess I'd always sort of assumed that someone just did, like, all the passing stats and they were able to generate the "Ben threw to Miller" stat on the fly from a computer.

Not too relevant since you're speaking on the NFL here but this might shed some light on the limitations of college football:

Home teams are responsible for scoring the games and for an NCAA stat crew, there are typically three people. An inputter keying in all the plays into a program called StatCrew, a spotter and a hand back up/additional spotter.

Once the game goes live, only the inputter has access to some of those weird, on the fly stats you speak of - we literally track some of this stuff at the NCAA level because StatCrew can't receive the input variables nor give us the output stats. Even though SIDs use StatCrew on our own computers, we can't access the live in-game file until the event is over. The only stat information we have is what is on the stat monitors or the online gametrackers. Not too different from an average fan at home really.

Likr I said, the inputter has access to stats on the fly, but he needs to be focusing on the action and keying in plays all the time. And StatCrew is not instant - it is an archaic, clunky, piece of poo poo DOS-based program that needs a few seconds to run any type report.

Further, there is still an inevitable delay in when a spotter calls the play, the inputter keys it in, to when the stat shows up on screen. When a game first starts, the delay can be just a few seconds. As the StatCrew streams accumulate more data as the game progresses, the updates can slow down. I could be looking at a stat monitor and the won't update for 5+ plays if a team is running hurry up and there have been no incomplete passes, penalties or breaks. And then there can be server/internet issues for the website/press box that can tank a stat broadcast.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm a sportswriter - mostly prep - and wish I could move into a sweet gig like this. There is a junior college here in town that I'm on very friendly terms with, but I know they don't have the budget to hire someone full-time, especially as they have six athletic teams total.

Junior colleges don't have TV games so this wouldn't apply anyways...There are PR/SID positions at junior colleges that deal with stats, but I really wouldn't recommend those jobs. I wouldn't recommend anyone go after an SID jobs in the first place, unless you've interned before.

MJBuddy posted:

I mean, yes this job revolves around stats but it's how fast/creative you can spit those stats out while being accurate, there's not much time for advanced metrics. Sometimes I have a commercial break to figure something out, sometimes I have 2 seconds to tell the truck what they need. There's not enough time to get too advanced.

I've taken one statistics course in my entire life and it was the hardest thing I've ever studied in a classroom - you don't need an analyical mind to be good at this or to break in. You need connections, any one of us as a sports fan could do a decent job in this.

But if you're already an adult and looking to break in, I would say the best bet would be pro bono work for your school's radio crew. That'll at least get you connections and if you do a good job, they could start throwing you some money. Email the primary football/basketball contact, radio guys, IMG staf, or tell me what school you're looking at and I can try and help point you in the right direction. With basketball starting up soon, staffs are starting to get stretched pretty thin.

But free help being offered is way too common within this industry. Lots of people promise they can be available and then you get to kickoff, and they said gently caress it and went to tailgate instead.

Learn how to read and use media guides/game notes. Seriously, read the loving game notes.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Action Saxxon posted:

Rutgers was by far the worst for me - they served up some really lovely New Jersey BBQ that the caters bragged about being "Northern BBQ! This isn't what you guys are used to down there."

Holy poo poo it was the the nastiest BBQ I have ever tasted. The distinct taste probably came from marinating all the sides of meat by a NYC homeless man's ballsack. It was just nasty and I bought several chaser hot dogs from the concession stands.

Blame Brother Jimmy's (chain restaurant Carolina BBQ) for that because they have a deal with the athletic department. There is good BBQ in Newark, (it's a famous chain from Syracuse.) You also can find good brisket if you know where to look, but I don't think anyone would pretend it's up to Texas standards. That's pretty lovely, because we do things well like Italian and Indian.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
What does SID stand for?

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Blame Brother Jimmy's (chain restaurant Carolina BBQ) for that because they have a deal with the athletic department. There is good BBQ in Newark, (it's a famous chain from Syracuse.) You also can find good brisket if you know where to look, but I don't think anyone would pretend it's up to Texas standards. That's pretty lovely, because we do things well like Italian and Indian.

That's the one, and I did have some amazing pizza several times the day before the game...I imagine your BBQ scene is like our pizza scene down here.

swickles posted:

What does SID stand for?

Sports Information Director

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Action Saxxon posted:

I'm gonna jump in answering questions as well, hope that's ok. If any of you are interested in working in college athletics, hit me up.

I have been, but it's been met with a lot of road blocks.

I was interning at my Alma Mater last year and tried to ask around to see if anyone had any sort of connections or "ins" within any Athletic Programs.

"Try Minor League Baseball/Hockey".

loving IMG/Learfield has no use for entry level peeps I guess.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have been, but it's been met with a lot of road blocks.

I was interning at my Alma Mater last year and tried to ask around to see if anyone had any sort of connections or "ins" within any Athletic Programs.

"Try Minor League Baseball/Hockey".

loving IMG/Learfield has no use for entry level peeps I guess.

What department, how long did you intern and what type of programs are you trying to get into?

You need to make connections on your own, you can't rely on other people to open doors for you since sports jobs are so competitive. Knowing your own people always helps but the key is being around games and events to meet people from other schools/organizations.

There's an IMG goon somewhere around here that could answer working with them much better than I. But most college sports jobs entry level are paid internship/graduate assistant the first year. IMG has lots of internships available: http://imgworld.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Internships?supcat=1103

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Ohio State was the worst for checking passes. Oh you've used my elevator 5 times already? I'm going to need to check that pass. You're headed up with the rest of your coaching staff? I'm going to need to see all of your passes. You have an all access pass? I better call in to see if that allows you to get to the press deck or not even though you've been there multiple times already.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

kayakyakr posted:

Nice thread.

I've been photographing Virginia Tech sports (Football, basketball, random other sports) since I first entered college in 2007 and now shoot for one of the VT blogs as a side gig, so ask away.

e:

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Virginia Tech's food quality varies wildly, but when they're rolling out the good stuff (Thursday night ESPN, stuff like that) it's pretty drat good catering. Also I steal cookies and brownies to bring with me to the photo work room for halftime/post-game.

UNC Basketball was Bojangles when I went there. Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte was just lovely concession stand hot dogs in a box lunch.

Best by far was the Sugar Bowl, I ate for three days straight, basically. They also had a media only party (dinner/open bar/hanging out) at one of the places that has balconies overlooking Bourbon St the night before the game and I discovered just how many free Crown and Cokes I could have in one night.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I keep ones from away games/bowl games/interesting games, but VT's are boring paper passes that get torn half the time.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 1, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ohio State was the worst for checking passes. Oh you've used my elevator 5 times already? I'm going to need to check that pass. You're headed up with the rest of your coaching staff? I'm going to need to see all of your passes. You have an all access pass? I better call in to see if that allows you to get to the press deck or not even though you've been there multiple times already.

Yeah Ohio State's sidelines and non-public areas are on loving lockdown. Ford Field in detroit is really tight about that too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Action Saxxon posted:

What department, how long did you intern and what type of programs are you trying to get into?

You need to make connections on your own, you can't rely on other people to open doors for you since sports jobs are so competitive. Knowing your own people always helps but the key is being around games and events to meet people from other schools/organizations.

There's an IMG goon somewhere around here that could answer working with them much better than I. But most college sports jobs entry level are paid internship/graduate assistant the first year. IMG has lots of internships available: http://imgworld.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobs.cfm/Internships?supcat=1103

AD, was mainly involved in Ticket Sales and Marketing. Made Group and Season ticket Sales.

I had a job offer with a pro team in Milwaukee, but had to turn it down because I didn't have near enough time to find an apartment or the money. :negative:.

I've really grown turned off of the whole scene honestly.

e: That's not to say I wouldn't jump on an opportunity if it came, but I've really not had an opportunity to jump on.yet.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 1, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Good contributions guys. I am about to go see if I can find the truck I am working with, because, lol the have like 6 trucks setup for this poo poo show.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah Ohio State's sidelines and non-public areas are on loving lockdown. Ford Field in detroit is really tight about that too.

Before the game, like an hour or so we had a spattering of players and staff on the field getting used to the field. The OSU strength coach comes down and tells us all we need to get off the field because Coach Urban Meyer is here. Urban Meyer apparently needs the field all to himself before the game and we had to go to the locker room.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
That was so terribly written that I'm keeping it as is.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

At my work, we have to show the guy standing next to the gate our badge before swiping in. No big deal, really. But the other day, I'm walking right behind the NASA administrator and he has to show his badge. I'm thinking...there's a portrait of the guy literally hanging above turnstiles, next to a picture of the President. You even greeted him before he got his badge out. Maybe he doesn't need to flash his badge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Before the game, like an hour or so we had a spattering of players and staff on the field getting used to the field. The OSU strength coach comes down and tells us all we need to get off the field because Coach Urban Meyer is here. Urban Meyer apparently needs the field all to himself before the game and we had to go to the locker room.

Mickey Marotti most likely. He's an odd dude but a hell of a strength coach

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Do you like me?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] Text me

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Action Saxxon posted:

Yes, that would be me. I work in PR for Academy in Florida. Although our internship program is on hold indefinitely (that's corporate-wide, all divisions). I'm not sure why, but that's been the case since August 2013. However, we do have a ton of seasonal jobs that pop up, and those can turn into opportunities. I also spent time with the Tampa Bay Bucs and at Alabama.

I've had seasonal workers and interns go on to jobs with the Philadelphia 76ers, NFL Network, George Mason University, Rivals.com, ESPN, so all over the place on the PR and media side of things.

I had an odd journey to get where I did. I was managing health clubs and working as a personal trainer for 7 years before giving that bullshit up and going to get a master's degree. Then I just forced my way in by being persistent as hell until I got my first internship with the Buccaneers. But I also wrote my thesis in Advertising & PR on the communications structure and activities surrounding a first-year football launch (case study on South Alabama football), so I'm published on that topic.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 3, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Doronin posted:

Yes, that would be me. I work in PR for Academy in Florida. Although our internship program is on hold indefinitely (that's corporate-wide, all divisions). I'm not sure why, but that's been the case since August 2013. However, we do have a ton of seasonal jobs that pop up, and those can turn into opportunities. I also spent time with the Tampa Bay Bucs and at Alabama.

I ran into a problem around summer of 2013.

There were two lawsuits fighting it out at once, and people despise the concept of paid interns for one reason or the other. So, I was caught within a very difficult place.

I HAD an offer to be an (UNPAID) intern at Purdue. Then got it pulled within the day because they kept insisting they couldn't afford me.

The worst part was I NEEDED to get an internship for my last semester to graduate, and I had to go beg the program director to help me find someone to work with. (thankfully did).

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

FuzzySkinner posted:

I ran into a problem around summer of 2013.

There were two lawsuits fighting it out at once, and people despise the concept of paid interns for one reason or the other. So, I was caught within a very difficult place.

I HAD an offer to be an (UNPAID) intern at Purdue. Then got it pulled within the day because they kept insisting they couldn't afford me.

The worst part was I NEEDED to get an internship for my last semester to graduate, and I had to go beg the program director to help me find someone to work with. (thankfully did).

I remember hearing something of lawsuits (maybe something to do with intern abuse/hours?) and it sounds like you got bit by whatever was going on at the time. I was somewhat fortunate enough to be able to do my internships in 2010/11. However, where I got snakebit was the godamn NFL lockout in 2011. I was so close to joining the Kansas City Chiefs organization I could taste it, and then the entire NFL went on a hiring freeze from March till July and the Chiefs let their PR director at the time go.

Internships vary wildly from place to place. I know the Texans and Patriots pay interns minimum wage. Mine with the Bucs was an academic one (unpaid), but I literally made up a class with the help of my college advisor and dean to gerrymander the requirements to be eligible for it.

Although now it's even tougher to get those internships because they're insanely competitive, in addition to having more stringent rules around them that a company has to follow. So they can be very costly to the organization that's offering the position.

I would urge you to keep applying and staying the course. Seriously, look into minor league baseball and/or facilities event management. Those are much more plentiful positions and offer a world of opportunity potentially if you land in the right spots. Great experience, too, because you'll pretty much be forced to learn a bunch of skills you would have assumed weren't part of the job.

EDIT: I totally missed that you got an internship position when I originally answered. Where did you end up, if you don't mind me asking?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Doronin posted:

I would urge you to keep applying and staying the course. Seriously, look into minor league baseball and/or facilities event management. Those are much more plentiful positions and offer a world of opportunity potentially if you land in the right spots. Great experience, too, because you'll pretty much be forced to learn a bunch of skills you would have assumed weren't part of the job.

EDIT: I totally missed that you got an internship position when I originally answered. Where did you end up, if you don't mind me asking?

I have experience in Minor League Baseball, yes. I Interned with a team in the Spring of 2012, as well as worked as Usher/Ticket Taker for three years during the summer. It didn't help that the one team I did have a very big in at? Had their entire staff fired by some new dipshit owner. I was really good friends with a lot of people there, and now they're not even working in sports anymore. (One I believe was working in management at Target, if memory serves correct).

I attempted Minor League Baseball/Sports, and yeah..they shot me down as well. "No Experience", was the stupid excuse they kept using. I got interviewed by the Cavs and Indians. Both used this really lovely group interview format and just pretty much let every tom, dick and harry into the damned thing. I seriously got sabotaged by another person during the Cavs interview, and it was just pretty vicious overall. (I think in retrospect they were trying to hurry up and hire like 30000 new people due to the imminent return of LeBron in retrospect. This was a month before "Decision II").

Kent State was where I interned. I did well there and made some sales, but it just wouldn't lead me anywhere. That's all they kept telling me "Go work minor league sports", or "There's no way into IMG so don't even try until you get "x-experience".

That's not how it works though. You have to KNOW someone in that particular field, or know of someone that knows someone. It's how I got the minor league internship, and it's how I was able to finally get the

I've really grown disheartened with the entire thing. So I'm kind of looking for alternative options at this point.

e: I do have my diploma, just have been working Big Box and Department Stores in the meantime.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

Doronin posted:

I've had seasonal workers and interns go on to jobs with the Philadelphia 76ers, NFL Network, George Mason University, Rivals.com, ESPN, so all over the place on the PR and media side of things.

I had an odd journey to get where I did. I was managing health clubs and working as a personal trainer for 7 years before giving that bullshit up and going to get a master's degree. Then I just forced my way in by being persistent as hell until I got my first internship with the Buccaneers. But I also wrote my thesis in Advertising & PR on the communications structure and activities surrounding a first-year football launch (case study on South Alabama football), so I'm published on that topic.

Don't think I ever told you this but I was at Alabama last year and a bunch of people in the softball press box knew who you were. They asked how we knew each other after stalking my Facebook and saw we were mutual friends. I was completely shocked so I had to answer in truth - we knew each other from a football message board. I don't think that helped either of our street cred but they were all really cool people and laughed it off.

• Locked thread