Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
How much of your week do you dedicate to this versus your day job (what is your day job, but ignore if it's too personal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sab0921 posted:

How much of your week do you dedicate to this versus your day job (what is your day job, but ignore if it's too personal)

Not much during football season. If I am working a game for someone I don't know any of the people, I'll spend sometime just looking through their rosters and making sure I know where to find their books and poo poo. I know WVU stuff really well so its not much trouble.

For basketball it can suck up some free times during the evenings, especially if I get conned into working Women's games.

My day job is administrative assistance in a large academic department at WVU.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have experience in Minor League Baseball, yes. I Interned with a team in the Spring of 2012, as well as worked as Usher/Ticket Taker for three years during the summer. It didn't help that the one team I did have a very big in at? Had their entire staff fired by some new dipshit owner. I was really good friends with a lot of people there, and now they're not even working in sports anymore. (One I believe was working in management at Target, if memory serves correct).

I attempted Minor League Baseball/Sports, and yeah..they shot me down as well. "No Experience", was the stupid excuse they kept using. I got interviewed by the Cavs and Indians. Both used this really lovely group interview format and just pretty much let every tom, dick and harry into the damned thing. I seriously got sabotaged by another person during the Cavs interview, and it was just pretty vicious overall. (I think in retrospect they were trying to hurry up and hire like 30000 new people due to the imminent return of LeBron in retrospect. This was a month before "Decision II").

Kent State was where I interned. I did well there and made some sales, but it just wouldn't lead me anywhere. That's all they kept telling me "Go work minor league sports", or "There's no way into IMG so don't even try until you get "x-experience".

That's not how it works though. You have to KNOW someone in that particular field, or know of someone that knows someone. It's how I got the minor league internship, and it's how I was able to finally get the

I've really grown disheartened with the entire thing. So I'm kind of looking for alternative options at this point.

e: I do have my diploma, just have been working Big Box and Department Stores in the meantime.

You need experience to work at IMG? Who knew! If something comes up and you're really interested, especially with the summer jobs, DM me your info and send me a resume. I'll do what I can.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Action Saxxon posted:

Don't think I ever told you this but I was at Alabama last year and a bunch of people in the softball press box knew who you were. They asked how we knew each other after stalking my Facebook and saw we were mutual friends. I was completely shocked so I had to answer in truth - we knew each other from a football message board. I don't think that helped either of our street cred but they were all really cool people and laughed it off.

haha, that's awesome. You probably ran into Roots or Josh up there, I'm guessing?

SomethingAwful.com, where SIDs meet! ;-*

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
[ASK] Me about MACtion

Here's a hint it owns and you should watch it tonight

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Not much during football season. If I am working a game for someone I don't know any of the people, I'll spend sometime just looking through their rosters and making sure I know where to find their books and poo poo. I know WVU stuff really well so its not much trouble.

For basketball it can suck up some free times during the evenings, especially if I get conned into working Women's games.

My day job is administrative assistance in a large academic department at WVU.

I wonder if you run into a buddy of mine on game days - he's in facility and ops at WVU.

Do you want to stay with WVU/Big12 or do you have aspirations for other conferences?

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

Doronin posted:

haha, that's awesome. You probably ran into Roots or Josh up there, I'm guessing?

SomethingAwful.com, where SIDs meet! ;-*

Is Roots with the coaching staff? Can't recall any of their names at this point.

Sab0921 posted:

I print out each team's game notes on Monday/Tuesday and look over the packet throughout the week. At some point, I throw together a Twitter list with local media and check in on that whenever. I cover Houston and potentially a few Rice home games, so I don't really need to research the home teams since I know them really well. Probably about an hour or two of work throughout the week, and then some more research pregame if I'm not busy stuffing my face with free food or hanging around press row...I'm unemployed at the moment and just picking up obscure freelance sport work - TV stats, writing, clock operator, scoreboard, caller, official scorer, whatever.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo is this the ask us about being an SID thread? I'm the guy that writes the software that posts your StatCrew data to college sports sites.

StatCrew question: Are you guys still using the DOS version these days? Apparently a lot of the old guys still do.

Thank you guys for doing the mostly thankless, late hours, highly precise job you do.

fake edit: Oh god this thread is weird, someone mentioned the name Roots and I absolutely know who that is at Bama. I know most of the SIDs from the SEC and C-USA (well, old C-USA before the American split).

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh poo poo is this the ask us about being an SID thread? I'm the guy that writes the software that posts your StatCrew data to college sports sites.

StatCrew question: Are you guys still using the DOS version these days? Apparently a lot of the old guys still do.

Thank you guys for doing the mostly thankless, late hours, highly precise job you do.

fake edit: Oh god this thread is weird, someone mentioned the name Roots and I absolutely know who that is at Bama. I know most of the SIDs from the SEC and C-USA (well, old C-USA before the American split).

My use is before this 2014-15 season but oh yea, only DOS and I'm not an old guy...Basketball was the only sport I knew of that was fluent with the cloud version, unless we're talking about something else here.

Thanks for the thanks. Greatly appreciate what you guys do on your end as well.

Weird, we might know each other. Sending you a PM with my guess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

[ASK] Me about MACtion

Here's a hint it owns and you should watch it tonight

if I can ask, what do you do for Kent anyway? I don't know if I've ever asked

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Anya posted:

I wonder if you run into a buddy of mine on game days - he's in facility and ops at WVU.

Do you want to stay with WVU/Big12 or do you have aspirations for other conferences?

Probably so on question one.

Career wise, I'd like to get a more regular contract gig, but those are harder to come by. I am looking to do more work with Root in the immediate future. Longer-term I will likely end up somewhere out west closer to my sister.

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

Action Saxxon posted:

Weird, we might know each other. Sending you a PM with my guess.

hahaha awesome, I was wrong with my guess but it turns out we do know each other. What a small world/forum

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Stat nerds, found a great resource on NCAA tournament data for the modern tourney: http://apps.washingtonpost.com/sports/apps/live-updating-mens-ncaa-basketball-bracket/search/

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This is what I did today, and a more or less normal day...

Get to work, fire off e-mails and share bigger news stories with execs.

Meet with film crew from London working on three different segments for Trans World Sport (I had to schedule, set up/produce the entire thing)

Work with the team setting up our QB's Under Armour All-America jersey presentation.

Take a reporter from Bleacher Report on a campus tour.

Sit for an hour and try and build a National Signing Day mailing list.

Then go sit for 4 hours at a home football game, and work to produce recap of the game.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Your normal day just dunked on my normal day.

Why's my normal day cryin'? 'Cuz it just got dunked on.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
What's the career goal for y'all -- do you want to make it to AD at a major school, GM or COO of a pro sports team?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Sab0921 posted:

What's the career goal for y'all -- do you want to make it to AD at a major school, GM or COO of a pro sports team?

Honestly, I like what I do so much that I haven't much thought about it. Although I know it would involve the NFL or Southeastern Conference, because that's where my heart is.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

I'd like to eventually get into more regular broadcasting work or working in SID office.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I am working an exhibition game cause it's on TV and I forgot how much I like doing games with Root because they're so chill.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I finally click on this, and it's a fellow stats dude. I got hired on by the Lake Erie Monsters (AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche) last season as an Off-Ice Official, and am slowly taking on more responsibility. I started by doing Time on Ice, then I learned the clock (which I have done countless times for rec league games), and then LeagueStat, which is the website/program that updates the AHL site in realtime with goals, assists, penalties, shots, etc.

Probably not as prolific as your job, but it is still a nice hobby that gets me free hockey, free food, and $20 a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hockles posted:

I finally click on this, and it's a fellow stats dude. I got hired on by the Lake Erie Monsters (AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche) last season as an Off-Ice Official, and am slowly taking on more responsibility. I started by doing Time on Ice, then I learned the clock (which I have done countless times for rec league games), and then LeagueStat, which is the website/program that updates the AHL site in realtime with goals, assists, penalties, shots, etc.

Probably not as prolific as your job, but it is still a nice hobby that gets me free hockey, free food, and $20 a game.

That's cool. I am p excited for the Penn-Yankee minor league baseball team we're getting because it should mean a little more work for me during the off-season.

• Locked thread