Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

You've done it, Ed, you've helped create the first game with infinite replay value :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It really depends on how bullshit/RNG unlocking stuff is. No damage stuff is one thing but praying for a book of revelations on an early floor to do all the horsemen, Ultra Pride, etc there's little you can do to force any of that stuff to happen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tracula posted:

It really depends on how bullshit/RNG unlocking stuff is. No damage stuff is one thing but praying for a book of revelations on an early floor to do all the horsemen, Ultra Pride, etc there's little you can do to force any of that stuff to happen.

It makes sense for this game to have achievements that are only unlockable by praying.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait why are people uninstalling Wrath of the Lamb? Like, for ceremony, or for some specific Steam-based reason that I don't know about?

asperger's

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
And consider that there is likely to be DLC for this game. Imagine how big it's gonna be then.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chippy posted:

asperger's

Is it somehow unreasonable to uninstall a game you are never playing again?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Gonna spend today getting drunk and giving my final playthroughs to Isaac. Then I will spend tomorrow getting drunk and playing Rebirth. Kind of debating whether or not I should try to wrap up PlatinumGod a second time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kawalimus posted:

And consider that there is likely to be DLC for this game. Imagine how big it's gonna be then.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a smaller download than the original.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's coming out at 6pm GMT, right?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

RatHat posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's still a smaller download than the original.

I mean in terms of items and variance in runs.

The only thing is I hope they don't add more levels vertically because I think the game is at the right length right now. Any more floors downward would just be overkill but if they added more "alternate" floors like Necropolis to Depths, it would be cool. Like maybe if you're super unlucky you'll get a real nightmare floor and be wishing you just got necropolis.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
About 25 hours left. The wait is killing me :smithicide:

...But my body is ready :unsmigghh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

It's coming out at 6pm GMT, right?

Steam Store says 1 day and 1 hour for me (US EST) :shrug:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I always find the game boring once you get into the womb because you basically stop getting items until the chest. I wish the curses weren't in the new game too, COTL and the one that blanks out the map are just tedious.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I never got why people hated the Curse of Darkness so much. Do you really rely on the minimap that much? I rarely look at it other than to see where a secret room might be. All that curse means to me is that I might not be getting the secret room on that floor.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

SuicideSnowman posted:

I never got why people hated the Curse of Darkness so much. Do you really rely on the minimap that much?

Not really, just when you start to get to the longer floors it makes it annoying to remember if you've completely cleared everything out

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

SuicideSnowman posted:

I never got why people hated the Curse of Darkness so much. Do you really rely on the minimap that much? I rarely look at it other than to see where a secret room might be. All that curse means to me is that I might not be getting the secret room on that floor.

It's really annoying especially if you have items like Compass and Treasure Map that will help you plan where to go. But to me XL floors are the worst, as they limit your access to shops and devil deals and secret rooms. Curse of the Lost on early floors is actually beneficial.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Pre-ordered this AM, and I'm totally psyched.

That said, am I the only one who thinks the new pixel-art style actually seems like a significant downgrade to the original's look? I mean, I love pixel-art as much as the next dude, and I get that BoI was always meant to be a retro game experience, but the crisp clean artwork is kinda part of what makes BoI BoI.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Just FYI, Rebirth is now available to pre-load on Steam.

It's finally happening guys. It's almost here.

Edit: Or possibly not? The preload button is there, but I can't get it to download.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 3, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

That said, am I the only one who thinks the new pixel-art style actually seems like a significant downgrade to the original's look? I mean, I love pixel-art as much as the next dude, and I get that BoI was always meant to be a retro game experience, but the crisp clean artwork is kinda part of what makes BoI BoI.

Plenty of people like the old artwork better, but you're the first person I've ever heard describing the artwork from the first as "crisp and clean". It's a bit on the sloppy side, honestly. In any case, there will be a filter you can apply in Rebirth to make it look more like the last game.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
This game should have come out on Halloween. gently caress Sony and the PS4.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Choco1980 posted:

Early on in Rebirth development a lot of people had this opinion, but it seems to be in the minority now. I mean, have you seen the recent pixel art in motion? Its looks pretty drat good. In any case Ed certainly didn't consider the artwork he used crisp and clean, iirc he said it was kind of rushed and sloppy in places for his taste. Although I think the point is moot really since isnt there an option to switch to an art style closer to the original?

e;fb

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of the reason it's pixelated now is because ed didn't like the old artstyle, which i can sympathize with. the new look helps to distance it from the whole 'newgrounds' aesthetic.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah gently caress the newgrounds look. spritez for life.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish they would say when this is coming to Wii U. I really want to play this soon but the ability to play on just the pad is too temping and I don't want to start a save over again.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

SuicideSnowman posted:

This game should have come out on Halloween. gently caress Sony and the PS4.

I'm getting this game for free, thanks Sony and the PS4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Just FYI, Rebirth is now available to pre-load on Steam.

It's finally happening guys. It's almost here.

Edit: Or possibly not? The preload button is there, but I can't get it to download.

I just relaunched Steam and clicked Pre-Load. It's on my local Library now, whereas it wasn't a few hours before when I was trying to add it to my library. The last game could be launched without Steam, so I'm guessing that they're not letting you add BoIR because it may not have DRM either. If it downloaded, maybe you could play it right away.

I'm too excited for this.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

legendsuper posted:

I'm getting this game for free, thanks Sony and the PS4

You get PS+ for free?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

IUG posted:

I just relaunched Steam and clicked Pre-Load. It's on my local Library now, whereas it wasn't a few hours before when I was trying to add it to my library. The last game could be launched without Steam, so I'm guessing that they're not letting you add BoIR because it may not have DRM either. If it downloaded, maybe you could play it right away.

I'm too excited for this.

Anyone tried VPNing to a JP/AUS location to see if it'll unlock early?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

SuicideSnowman posted:

You get PS+ for free?

Touché
Still worth it

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Bisnap and Northernlion will be streaming Rebirth 3 hours before release if you're too exited to think about anything else before it comes out.

NoUU fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 3, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Choco1980 posted:

Not sure if this applies to you, but the look of the game has improved massively since the first few screenshots. I thought it was a downgrade originally as well, but now I'm a convert. (The dynamic lighting looks absolutely gorgeous...)

SuicideSnowman posted:

If you're using the whole list of adjacency rules, finding the secret rooms becomes a massive pain without either a minimap or an excellent memory. Also backtracking for soul hearts at the end of the level, or regular hearts for a blood bank. Also for remembering there's something important on the level (like an arcade) that you were going to go back to after the boss. Basically, for various reasons it makes grabbing a pencil and paper the "optimal" thing to do. For the sort of player who feels like they have to sit in the arcade playing three skull monte for five minutes because that's the "optimal" thing to do, this makes it a kick in the balls.

Also, it's really high variance - 95% of the time it has no real effect at all except to add tedium, and 5% of the time it massively fucks you over in a way that no other curse could. (I swear I've had it in Chest when I had a map...) Oh, and when it does gently caress you over it doesn't really do it in an interesting way - it just invalidates one of your earlier finds.

Probably the limited curse pool doesn't help much either - at 1/15 to get it in any given level, you'll be seeing it in about half your successful runs. It gets old fast.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuicideSnowman posted:

You get PS+ for free?

that being said

PS+ is pretty dope

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

If you're using the whole list of adjacency rules, finding the secret rooms becomes a massive pain without either a minimap or an excellent memory. Also backtracking for soul hearts at the end of the level, or regular hearts for a blood bank. Also for remembering there's something important on the level (like an arcade) that you were going to go back to after the boss. Basically, for various reasons it makes grabbing a pencil and paper the "optimal" thing to do. For the sort of player who feels like they have to sit in the arcade playing three skull monte for five minutes because that's the "optimal" thing to do, this makes it a kick in the balls.

Yeah, honestly to me the arcades are more of a hassle than any of the cursed floors. I was hoping that in Rebirth they were intending to make some kind of change so that you wouldn't feel the need to spend 5 minutes in the arcade.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
How are there still people who like the lovely newgrounds flash aesthetic

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

"It's different, therefore it sucks."

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So when I try and pre-load on Steam, I get a message of 'Pre-load suspended' with the info saying 'Unable to pre-load (files still encrypted)'. Uh...?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

IronicDongz posted:

I could take or leave the flash aesthetic, I just want the ability to play the old misuc.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i usually tend to enjoy curse of the labyrinth and hate curse of darkness. even though they both extend the time you spend on a floor at least labyrinth is giving you more gameplay instead of just being aggravating and making me want to play less.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

man you sure are cool :thumbsup:

you are that guy that jumps into an ongoing music discussion and immediately tries to impress on everyone how much better your taste is than theirs

oh, you like that band? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm really sick of pixel retro art styles but boy does it look way loving better than the newgrounds artstyle.