Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Meowywitch posted:

If it's any consolation tiny planet is still poo poo

Tiny Planet rocks with lasers and piss beams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tiny Planet is pretty binary in effectiveness- if you have a shot type that passes through objects like ghost tears it gives a surprisingly large boost to effective area at the cost of max range which usually isn't a huge cost, but if you have standard tears it's effectively unusable in 90% of rooms because a single rock in the same zip code will just delete your shots. I've had a couple good runs where it turns a decent attack into a room-clearing blender of death but unless you already have a way around its downside I wouldn't take it.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Tiny Planet showed up tonight and the help text suggested it grants spectral tears now, so maybe it's much less trash than it used to be on its on own.

On a semi-related note, Bag of Crafting showed up on a floor I generated with Pay To Win. Didn't realize that BoC just generates the pedestal on the floor for non-Tainted Cain characters. That MASSIVELY synergizes with Pay to Win in a hilarious fashion. Have a new appreciation for Pay to Win now. It was pretty good before, but BoC makes it too good.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm trying out the coop beta, and not having item description mod is devastating

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

After about 160 attempts to kill Mother as tainted Lost, it’s amazing how easy the game seems with everyone else.
Also, it took me taking Damocles about 3 times before I realized you had to activate it to get the double items.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Crackbone posted:

After about 160 attempts to kill Mother as tainted Lost, it’s amazing how easy the game seems with everyone else.
Also, it took me taking Damocles about 3 times before I realized you had to activate it to get the double items.

oooooooh

:doh:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Crackbone posted:

I was about to complain that in my fourty million failed tainted lost runs i haven't seen that item, but I just came across it and managed to actually go all the way to Chest/Mega satan. First post marks filled out on tainted lost after all this time.

I also came across vanishing twin pretty early and grabbed it not knowing what it does. I looked it up after and was pretty worried having an extra boss could spell instant death but by that time I was killing stuff pretty fast. So with sword of damacles and vanishing twin, I was getting 4 pedestals every boss room.

The Fattest PI fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 22, 2024

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
My latest Lost run can be summed up as follows.

Me grabbing Soy Milk: "this is going to ruin my build but I don't care"

Me grabbing Sacred Heart and Trisagion 5 minutes later: "oh my god I'm BLIND I'm so dead"

Me one combat later: "oh wow everything just instantly dies, who needs to see"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Remember the best defense in isaac is a stupidly good offense

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xaiter posted:

My latest Lost run can be summed up as follows.

Me grabbing Soy Milk: "this is going to ruin my build but I don't care"

Me grabbing Sacred Heart and Trisagion 5 minutes later: "oh my god I'm BLIND I'm so dead"

Me one combat later: "oh wow everything just instantly dies, who needs to see"

I always find with the screen blinding spam projectiles it's not the enemies or bosses that kill me but me tripping over my own dick into a drat spike or damaging obstacle that I didn't see.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Stepping on red creep that sits on identical shade of red floor

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The Fattest PI posted:

Stepping on red creep that sits on identical shade of red floor

At least with Lost creep isnt an issue, but slamming into a fire or spiked rock can gently caress right off. Why do spiked rocks hit you when you're flying, anyways? Thats pretty bullshit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I learned in the daily today that if you pop one of those huge horse pills and it's Pretty Fly, you get a Big Fan instead of flies.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
For some strange reason I just bought this game last week for the first time. I did, of course, buy the (final?) expansion as well. I got a couple of wins with characters down, so I'm doing some of the challenges for variety, and HOLY poo poo did I just bad a win of purist that I can only describe as fraudulent. Sold out early for brimstone, got guppy afterwards to extend my lifespan a bit, then lucked into placebo and a Luck Up pill. Once my luck was around 15 or so I found binge eater, and a couple of floors later, a proper arcade lmao. Big shoutout to safety scissors for making sure I always had enough bombs!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There are no fraudulent wins in this bullshit game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

For some strange reason I just bought this game last week for the first time. I did, of course, buy the (final?) expansion as well. I got a couple of wins with characters down, so I'm doing some of the challenges for variety, and HOLY poo poo did I just bad a win of purist that I can only describe as fraudulent. Sold out early for brimstone, got guppy afterwards to extend my lifespan a bit, then lucked into placebo and a Luck Up pill. Once my luck was around 15 or so I found binge eater, and a couple of floors later, a proper arcade lmao. Big shoutout to safety scissors for making sure I always had enough bombs!

Snowballing into an outrageous win by taking risks early is the very essence of this game.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

Snowballing into an outrageous win by taking risks early is the very essence of this game.

That's just it, it never snowballed. Even with all that I barely finished with like 5 red hearts and 2 lives left out of 9. Didn't see a damage up until the last floor either. Where's my busted synergies, Ed you loser

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

That's just it, it never snowballed. Even with all that I barely finished with like 5 red hearts and 2 lives left out of 9. Didn't see a damage up until the last floor either. Where's my busted synergies, Ed you loser

Well ya had Brimstone and Guppy. I thought you were calling it fraudulent because it was too easy.

Anyway, also a good feeling of accomplishment to eke out a win through skill. Many sides

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

With the amount of bullshit the game puts you through, all bullshit wins are fair play.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

For the longest time I would never reset a run because you never know when the item room or secret room or other thing would turn a poo poo run into some crazy OP build.

I'm not patient anymore though and now reset if I have nothing but trash at the end of the basement for most characters. And that's also why it took me forever to accidentally unlock half soul hearts (spoilered only because new players are suddenly posting here lol)

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
getting no damage ups is maddeningly common in my experience. At least you had brimstone, though. Good effects can compensate for bad damage until you hit boss hell at the end of the game.

this is why I play painfully slow squeezing blood from a stone every run. drives my viewers insane sometimes, spending 15-20 minutes per floor minmaxing the ever loving poo poo out of everything, but more often than not it kicks off that snowball effect leading to utter annihilation by the end.

There's usually enough mechanics for "gambling" on extra treasures or resources to get something workable going, but it does take a while to identify possibilities and work out order of operations to maximize payouts/minimize risk.

this play style is tainted cain's whole gimmick though and I love him for it. I found a stupid cheap recipe for caffeine pill (5 coins, 3 hearts) and the halo (5 coins, 2 pills, 1 bomb) last night and proceeded to casually steamroll through the run. I wanted something truly broken, but just getting a steady stream of size down and all stats up the whole run trivialized most encounters.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Finding Envy on the first floor before the item room is an instant restart for me. I don't have time for that.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The real TLost run killer is :gas:. loving Ultra Pestilence.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Waffle! posted:

Finding Envy on the first floor before the item room is an instant restart for me. I don't have time for that.

Really? Envy seems easy enough to me so far.

Now if the first boss is a variant on Widowmaker, I'm doomed

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I just find the fight with base damage and no upgrades real tedious.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

Really? Envy seems easy enough to me so far.

Now if the first boss is a variant on Widowmaker, I'm doomed

Widow? That one’s no problem. Here’s a tip: if you’re standing directly to the left or right of it when it jumps toward you, it will jump over you. So you stand right next to it and pour shots into it until it jumps over you, then reposition and repeat.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Ariong posted:

Widow? That one’s no problem. Here’s a tip: if you’re standing directly to the left or right of it when it jumps toward you, it will jump over you. So you stand right next to it and pour shots into it until it jumps over you, then reposition and repeat.

Thank you, that's going to save me so much annoyance

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
lmao the power of bitching to this thread is real, just pulled off Greed mode with azazel thanks to an early tiny planet and it was all downhill from there

Thanks Ed, can't wait to curse your name to the heavens again

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
i got c-section and mom's knife in a run tonight and :staredog:

Holy crap. Hush and Delirium just melted, to hell with their boss armor. That might actually be the most broken damage combo in the game.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

mom's knife, tiny planet and spin to win isn't the strongest combo, but it is very satisfying to become a beyblade

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ariong posted:

i love that i have almost 1k hours in this game and didn't know this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i love that i have almost 1k hours in this game and didn't know this

Ditto. News to me

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
Tried it this morning, worked like a charm. Thank you!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Finally got a Hush kill with Tainted Cain, by going through a hell of my own creation.

See if you can figure out why I'm in hell. The main relevant item that's missing from this screenshot is Placenta.

I got a run with Strange Key (note that it's swallowed by Marbles) but I went the whole time quite desperate for damage ups. In Womb 2 I started to get the impression that there's no way that my build could possibly beat Hush with the pitiful damage I had, and in desperation I crafted Blood Oath. That's a damage up, right? It's okay, I have The Sun to heal back up after getting a big damage boost. But by the end of Womb 2 I was on 1.5 hearts out of 10 heart containers.

But I had Placenta.

Time to play the waiting game. But wait! I also swallowed Mom's Toenail! So to get the max possible damage up, I had to wait for Placenta to trigger 17 times while dodging Mom's foot every 20 seconds. Jesus christ.

I took this screenshot about halfway through the process. I actually got hit 2-3 times after taking this screenshot, so I missed out on the eternal heart and had to regen even more. I finished the run at ~1:37. I think I was farting around at the end of Womb 2 for at least 45 minutes. But thanks to the extra damage, Hush went nice and smooth. Worth it. . . ? I'm finally done with TCain.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Finally got a Hush kill with Tainted Cain, by going through a hell of my own creation.

See if you can figure out why I'm in hell. The main relevant item that's missing from this screenshot is Placenta.

I got a run with Strange Key (note that it's swallowed by Marbles) but I went the whole time quite desperate for damage ups. In Womb 2 I started to get the impression that there's no way that my build could possibly beat Hush with the pitiful damage I had, and in desperation I crafted Blood Oath. That's a damage up, right? It's okay, I have The Sun to heal back up after getting a big damage boost. But by the end of Womb 2 I was on 1.5 hearts out of 10 heart containers.

But I had Placenta.

Time to play the waiting game. But wait! I also swallowed Mom's Toenail! So to get the max possible damage up, I had to wait for Placenta to trigger 17 times while dodging Mom's foot every 20 seconds. Jesus christ.

I took this screenshot about halfway through the process. I actually got hit 2-3 times after taking this screenshot, so I missed out on the eternal heart and had to regen even more. I finished the run at ~1:37. I think I was farting around at the end of Womb 2 for at least 45 minutes. But thanks to the extra damage, Hush went nice and smooth. Worth it. . . ? I'm finally done with TCain.

After nine years, it has been done. Someone has found the wrong way to play The Binding of Isaac.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Lmao. Why would you swallow that

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

goferchan posted:

because i am insane. for a little while it was my best source of damage

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

goferchan posted:

a video game where swallowing fossilized poop is preferable to eating toe nails

truly BoI is a masterpiece 11/10

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Lost really shows how utterly bullshit some of these final bosses can be, good god.

Delirium has the telefrags near the end its life bar, Mother can just perform two attacks in sequence that leave you with nowhere to dodge after kiting her homing shot strings around/dodging the bouncing invunerable fistula.

It really does seem like the intended solution to these problems is "bring a build so ludicrously overpowered you kill them before forced damage happens, otherwise eat poo poo and die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

still waiting for the delirium rework!