Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait why are people uninstalling Wrath of the Lamb? Like, for ceremony, or for some specific Steam-based reason that I don't know about?

asperger's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Controllers seem bugged to gently caress. In the menus, the prompt on the bottom right keeps switching between telling me to press A to select, and to press space. And what button does what seems a bit weird as well. I was pressing B to back out of the options screen, and it was toggling fullscreen mode as if I was pressing A.

I thought it was going to have actual analogue stick support as well? I wasn't expecting it to still be 8 way with no speed control. I don't really mind that though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
p.s. is hard the 'default' difficulty settings? That's what it seemed to pre-select for me when I did my first run, but I don't know if I nudged a button or something.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've just had a look at the Steam forum. Did they do any QA at all do you think? Hilarious.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kaethela posted:

Normal is the default. No idea what the difference is.

You sure about this? I'm pretty sure my copy defaulted to hard.

Incidentally, if you choose hard, when you actually start the game, it flips back to normal just as the screen fades out. I don't know if it's resetting the actual difficulty, or if it's just a visual thing, but it's a bit odd.

e: Hard. Mine defaulted to hard.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Incidentally, if you choose hard, when you actually start the game, it flips back to normal just as the screen fades out. I don't know if it's resetting the actual difficulty, or if it's just a visual thing, but it's a bit odd.

Huh. If you choose normal, it flips to hard as it fades. I wonder if everyone's playing on a different difficulty to what they think...

edit: only if you start the game with the pad instead of the keyboard.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kaethela posted:

Mine defaulted to Normal, and Edmund was making a pretty big deal about how different/difficult Hard mode is on that stream yesterday. Not sure what happened on yours, but I don't think that's intentional.

I think it's to do to what I mentioned above - if you start the game by pressing A on an Xbox pad, it flips the difficulty as it fades out. I must have noticed I was on hard just as it faded out the first time. IF you start the game with a keyboard, it doesn't happen.

e: Pressing right trigger doesn't do it either. The controller 'support' is mental.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I don't suppose anyone knows of a fix for it not saving progress? Mine was, at first, but I deleted the save after ironing out some teething troubles, and now it's not tracking anything at all.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Reinstalling the game didn't fix my "nothing saves" bug, and there's no information about it anywhere online. I am out of ideas aside from just waiting for the next patch. :shrug:

I fixed it by deleting the 3 save files in My Documents\my games\binding of Isaac rebirth, and then getting Steam to validate the game files. Seems like maybe the saves get corrupted, and uninstalling may well not remove them.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
OK, so I've just noticed that it quite definitely says

quote:

Analog directional movement and speed

on the Steam store page. So is it meant to have this? Because it certainly doesn't on my system.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

I'm using a 360 pad. Should it have analogue movement then?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yes, I'm using the analogue stick. I'm not expecting analogue movement from a D-Pad.

I did re-arrange some of the trigger/shoulder button bindings, but that's it. The pad support generally is loving apalling on my machine, behaves really weirdly in menus, and other such strangeness. I don't know what's causing it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Meep posted:

My 360 controller was detected immediately and works flawlessly so something's up with your controllers driver or something. I wouldn't worry about it, I don't really see the appeal to using analog movement for a game like this anyways. You almost always want to be moving full speed and since the rooms are designed on a square grid you generally want to be moving in straight lines in and out of cover. Using the analog stick makes movement sloppier, not more precise for me.

Curious. Ok, at least I know it's something just affecting my machine then. Thanks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm still really undecided on the graphics. They're a real mixed bag - some bits look beautiful, some look worse than the original in my opinion. I was interested to notice that my girfriend - who isn't familiar with terms like pixel art or vector graphics, or what newgrounds used to look like, or other such things - took one look at it and asked me 'why did they make the graphics worse?".

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 6, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That cursed tear shot that teleports you when you take damage has got to be the shittiest, most irritating game mechanic I've ever encountered.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

The teleport isn't that bad once you learn how it works. You don't teleport while shooting or while holding a full charge, only while actually charging up a shot.

Is this definitely true? Because I had it yesterday, and actually I didn't even know you could charge shots with it (hence I wasn't trying to), and I was still getting teleported out of the room all over the place. Unless there's another item that randomly teleports you when taking damage? I'm pretty sure it was Cursed Eye I had.

Logan 5 posted:

It would really be the one item that would make soy milk worth it imho.

Do people not like Soy Milk? I quite enjoy it. I unlocked the D6 with it last night, had it for most of my run.

(e: although I did also have Crystal Ball for most of the run, and later The Book Of Shadows and The Habit)

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 2, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How do you not notice that you have charge shots? Do you normally tap the button like a madman instead of just holding it down?

I'm not sure to be honest. No, I don't normally tap the button, I hold it. Thinking about it though, I think I picked up chocolate milk really soon after. I'm not sure how I've not noticed it before though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What's the range on the luck stat? When I view the stats, all characters only ever seem to have one 'bar' of luck, even after picking up multiple luck upgrades. The only time I've ever seen it on anything over than 1 was after picking up the item that shuffles your stats.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

It only goes up with pills and not very many regular items. It starts at zero for most and doesn't seem to have a cap. Pills raise it by 1, I think some of the collectibles have fractional boosts since it's stored as a float. Each bar past the first on the pause screen is 1 luck, the first bar is anything less than 2. By 10 luck you'll get fountains of loot out of most chests and will proc mom's eye/loki's horns every time.

I'm sure that even if I start with Cain and pick up a couple of 'luck up' pills, it's still on 1 bar. Maybe I'm just losing track of how much I've actually picked up.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

Cain starts with the 1 luck given by the foot and I just gave him a luck up pill and the display shows 2 bars. The next 5 pills each added a bar. You probably lost some luck somewhere.

Oh, so, although Cain can get bad pills now (as opposed to the first game where all pills he picked up were good), they don't affect him? Well those three, anyway. That's good to know.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, these were all luck up pills that I forced in. Luck decreases the chance of stat downs, amnesia and bad trip happening but he can still get hit by them unless you get very high luck.

Oh, duh. I was totally spaced then and thinking that Cain started with PhD, not Luck Foot.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
How exactly do the alternate floors work? Do you just have a random chance if getting them each time? I thought initially they were always the second floor of each chapter. Also on the screen in between floors, what does a little timer symbol on a floor indicate?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

Soy milk, as annoying as it is, is actually a boost to your dps so long as you don't have the fastest normal tears stat or a delay of more than 4 seconds (which generally requires stacking really slow attacks like charges and Polyphemus). Notably, it'll nearly triple your dps if you have only one of Polyphemus, Inner Eye, Mutant Spider, Dr. Fetus and Sacred Heart with 3 normal tears up items (including pills). You can't use Eve's Mascara with them for this to work, but it won't hit the sweet spot without something like Death's Scythe lowering your tears slightly, though you'll still double your dps.

Yeah, first time I beat Isaac, I was using ??? and I had soy milk. I quite enjoy it. I can't really remember the rest of my load-out but it was nothing too crazy.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I killed It Lives with the Bible last night, didn't realise I hadn't taken any damage in the floor, but the game showed the Mama's boy unlock, but no Steam pop-up. So two questions, firstly are these achievements bugged at all, and also what number secret is Mama's boy in the in-game secrets screen, so I can see if I really got it or not?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So it looks like I have quite a few unlocks that haven't unlocked the relevant Steam achievement. Am I going to have to do these manually with SAM or is there a way of forcing a sync?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
gently caress, something weird has happened with my save. About a week ago I pinned the game to my task bar and I've been launching it from there. My friend and I have made a ton of progress since then and I've just noticed that if I launch the game from within Steam, I can't see any of that progress, my save is like it was a few days ago, but if I launch from the taskbar again, it's back. There are only two places the file exists on my hard drive, the usual place in 'my games', and a subdirectory of Steam: userdata\(bunch of numbers)\remote. You'd think if it was syncing an old version from the cloud, it'd overwrite my progress, but no, if you launch it from the taskbar it's still there. Anyone have any idea about this? I'd really hate to lose my save again. Guess this explains why Steam hasn't been unlocking my achievements.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Looked at the patch notes, and they changed the saving location from my games to the Steam folder in the last update. I guess somehow I was bypassing that by running it straight from the task bar (which works even without Steam running). Copied in the version from my games and it synced. Guess I'll have to manually do the achievements with the achievement manager as I'm guessing they won't unlock in game a second time.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wugga posted:

BASE
MENT

is

fun.

wtf is happening here?!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RiskyChris posted:

I think Steam cloud saves just totally hosed my save file from about 40+ successful runs....

I opened my game on my laptop for the first time in a few weeks (I had previously been swapping between desktop/laptop daily with perfect save transferring), and it was the same save I had from weeks ago. I think it got uploaded to the cloud, so before starting Steam on my desktop I went to C:\...\My Docs\My games\TBOIR\ and made a backup of all those files. But on starting the game on Steam, it seems to have taken my laptop's saves.

I'm very confused as to how the entire process for saving works, and I'm kind of pissed that I have to rely on some cloud service that might fail me.

I don't know if this is going to help you at all, but as of the last patch it doesn't save to My Games any more, although confusingly the folder and files are still there. It now saves to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[account id]\250900\remote. So that might be why your files in my games are out of date.

I ran into a similar issue last week, I'd pinned the game to my task bar which unbeknownst to me was bypassing steam and causing it to still save to My Games (gently caress knows how, maybe Steam sets up a temporary symlink or something). Consequently when I launched through Steam I'd get an older save then when I launched from the task bar. Very confusing indeed. I've now stopped launching it from the task bar and moved the correct save into the correct place, so now I'm just missing a few steam achievements that I got when it wasn't running through Steam. Any chance something like this has happened to you?

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250900/announcements/detail/228886519673853693

chippy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 20, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

senae posted:

I suspect it's partially because a lot of the special items + soy milk would be super bad. do you want a brimstone or moms knife with a super fast charge rate and no damage?

Does it not do that with Brimstone? It does with Azazel, so I kind of assumed it would.

e: Oh or are you saying that it does do that by why would you want it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
On a similar note - for a while I was inadvertently bypassing Steam when launching the game so I have a handful of achievements that haven't unlocked on Steam - is there any way of forcing them to pop, other than doing them again on another save, or using SAM?

Further to that, if I have to use SAM, is there any quick way of determining which ones I have in-game but not on Steam? A nice little tool or something?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah the new music might be better produced in technical terms but musically I much prefer the old music. familiarity has nothing to do with it, at this point I have many more hours in Rebirth than I do the WOTL but it's still the old music that I find myself humming.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Xeras posted:

I filled my donation machine only for it to blow up and go down to 0 coins? That's sure a pain in the rear end.

You went over 999. :(

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You can still get Bandage Girl from monster manual, right? My friend seems to think they made it so you have to get her from the horsemen now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wade Wilson posted:

Just started playing this and managed to unlock Azazel (who makes the runs trivial since he can just fly over everything, and getting that item that turns his attack into a ring of death that can be moved around the screen with the right stick makes it even more trivial), but what's all this talk about Mega Satan and stuff? Every run I do sends me straight to Mom and ending credits.

Adorable.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yo, can a super secret room border a double or quad size room?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What would cause a health down pill I was carrying to turn into a health up, and than back into a health down after using pill mimic on it?! I haven't picked up PhD.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I had no idea. Has that always been the case?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Alteisen posted:

The biggest issue with beauty of BoI is the sheer amount of items that don't really explain what they do at all or even synergies for that matter.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dis astranagant posted:

They changed the unlock condition ages ago. Just kill yourself in a sacrifice room when you find the missing poster.

I did not know this. I might actually bother now.