Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
That cobalt guy really really needs to shave his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

So, Dr. Fetus (bomb-tears) works with tear-affecting items.

I now have spectral bombs for the Dr. Fetus challenge (forgot the name). :stare:

Yes, but I'm actually super disappointed they don't work with bomb-affecting items, like the fire bombs, or tear bombs, or poop ones. They're also based on your damage stat, so if that sucks you'll be chucking 3-4 bombs just to kill a spider, which sucks rear end.

In other news I'm in the Chest right now killing ???. As I type this. I rerolled all my items in a dice room and my damage is at minimum but it gave me that stand still invincibility and gemini. I killed Isaac without moving, half expected an achievement for that.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

For some reason the OP lists the original's controls, can we replace it with Rebirth? I've noticed that not everyone knows to hold down r to restart, or left control drops/switches pill/tarot/runes, and hitting tab changes your map and holding tab lets you view map, level name, and item flavor text. Tia

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

They're not "no-hit" achievements, they're "no-damage" achievements. It ain't a bug, it's working as intended.

I managed to no-damage the Chest the 2nd time I got there, but I didn't get an achievement :(. I did get "hit" a few times though, but I had orbitals and damage reduction so it didnt count. At least I think I got hit, it was kind of hard to tell with all the rapid fire max damage double shot piercing homing fear tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZi2CXlMGo

I managed to do a boss rush with Eden the other day too, with Tooth shot radioactive fire mind Polyphemus Ipecac. Yes the Tooth would proc. It would one shot pretty much every boss except mama gurdy if it did.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
PSA: If you want to do ??? runs, do yourself a favor and unlock Abaddon. You get it by beating the Chest with Azazel, and its Evil Up + Damage + Fear Shot, with the drawback being one range and shot speed down. It appears in the Devil Deal rooms, and will cost you 3 soul hearts, but the important bit is that it gives you 6 sin hearts!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just killed the Lamb with ???, and I had two sin hearts left at the end. I started the Dark Room with 12.

I am a nervous wreck right now, jeez.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
/\/\/\ tears up/down is your rate of fire. A high stat and you're a machine gun, low and you're waiting seconds between shots.

Faith supposedly increases the chance of angel rooms appearing instead of devil rooms

Alkydere posted:

Loving the OST now that it was finally released.

The fight music is all awesome when you can listen to it and not spend every bit of your energy going "gently caress! gently caress! FUUUUCK!" as you dodge attacks.

Counterpoint: the depths music strange beeping is annoying because it always makes me think my microwave is beeping, and the squelching noises in the womb are just horrible and I cant listen to it for more than 5 seconds.

There are some tracks I really like though, Diptera Sonata is great and the Chest theme is epically awesome.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 10, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
How to break the Dark Bum even further: Life Savings and the Bloody Penny trinket.

:getin:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So in Rebirth they tried to make the D6 not as broken since it now takes 6 rooms to charge.

Except that if you have a blank card and a Perthro Rune you basically have the D6 with only 4 charges :v:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm pretty sure the Blank Card is supposed to be insanely good, I mean pair it with Hierophant and it's like a triple Book of Revelations. Does it really work with runes? You could get some pretty incredible results off a Jera.

Yes, it does work with runes, and pills for that matter I believe. I'm actually using the Hierophant right now for the Family Man challenge, pretty sure I got this.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RatHat posted:

Dang, I thought I was doing good in the Family Man challenge. Didn't get very good upgrades but I managed to barely beat Mom's Heart...then the Cathedral portal showed up. :suicide:

EDIT: Any tips for The Family Man and Cat Got Your Tongue? I can't really think of much besides Krampus' Head and Brimstone Baby.

I beat Family man my first try, but this is only because I got incredibly lucky in the basement and got Lil'steven and the goat head, leading me to pick up a ghost baby from the devil deal and guppy's paw from a red chest. In the caves I got a gish boss too, so that added gish. Eventually by necropolis 2 I had grabbed guppy's collar and head, and it turns out your followers shots count (at least in the challenge I presume) in spawning blue flies as guppy. My damage output from there was enough to carry me to a win.
Also didnt hurt that I had just unlocked Fate and found it in a gold chest in one of those chained up rooms.

Really you're just looking to luck out on a run that will offer you loads of followers and/or other non-tears upgrades and damage outputs, like gemini, ball of tar, etc. Apparently you unlock more followers by beating hardmode with different characters but I havent done any of those yet.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Ahhh, that makes sense I guess. I wouldn't know I have no one to local co-op with :(

Really wish there was online co-op, that'd be amazing/hilarious.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

A few pages ago but in order to unlock Challenge #11 you need both Epic Fetus (which you get from beating #19) AND to have found Loki's Horns in your item pool. Check your item page, see if you got Loki's Horns yet.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Does anyone know what unlocks the Missing No.? I was curious about it in looking at what I have left to unlock but the info on wikis gives conflicting info on what unlocks it.

Also just found out there is a seed called "THEG HOST", a nod to Spelunky. Unfortunately it isnt anything as fun as a ghost that appears and chases you if you spend too much time on a floor, but just you take half a heart damage every 45 seconds

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
/\/\/\ Pretty sure it isnt, check your items and see if you've found Loki's Horns yet.

Sebbe posted:

Yeah, I just unlocked it myself. It's for beating the boss rush as Lazarus.

Ah, thank you. I still have to do boss rush with a few characters.

Andrast posted:

I also just had my first clear of the Dark room but with a triple shot Brimstone. I don't even know what the Lamb actually does because it died so fast.

Dr. Fetus sucks in Rebirth. Epic Fetus on the other hand...

e: spoiled tagged the lamb just in case

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 13, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Waffleopolis posted:

Nope. Checked the items, none, Checked the Secrets, none. CHecked the Steam achievements, none. Loki's Horns ISN'T unlocking for me.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying you HAVE fought and beat Loki but Loki's Horns still isn't unlocked, either in your items or achievements? Cause if yes, then yeah that's probably a bug, must have been caused by one of the more recent updates because I had no problems with it.

It might be unlocked when you actually pick up the item too, have you always passed on it/not seen it?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Waffleopolis posted:

Yes! I have beaten Loki AND Lokii numerous times, and no I haven't seen it in any run so far.

Welp, I guess just keep playing until you find it? I've seen it in Treasure Rooms a few times, but luckily for me all the bosses with specific drops (Steven, Loki, etc.) dropped their item the 1st time I killed them, although they havent always after that.

Cryohazard posted:

So there's an item called Undefined, a rare use item that takes you to I Am Error. If you use this on The Chest, and then return through what would normally take you to the next floor... it rerolls the floor instead.

Including the 4 golden chests where you start.

Have fun filling out your item sheet!

Undefined has a chance to take you to the Secret Room, the Super Secret Room, the I AM ERROR room, and the Treasure room if I'm not mistaken. However when I first used it this is exactly what happened to me in the Chest. I was very pleased that run.

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: oh my god, I just got loving double shot of all things. What's next, quad shot so I can occasionally have to dodge 16 bombs at once?

Double shot, triple shot, and quad shot dont stack with each other unfortunately, instead they override one another. Seems strange actually to find some of them in the same run, are there no more classes of items now that once you pick up one the others are removed from the pool? I remember the original had some that worked that way. I mean, not to nerf stuff and kill the fun, but where it makes sense. I'm looking at you Cube of Meat and Ball of Bandages :argh:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

IronicDongz posted:

I grabbed Abaddon when it cost 2 hearts, and I only had two, and still got like 6 sin hearts. So I think it just gives you that much which is loving rad

It does give you 6 sin hearts, but I think it removes more than just the 2 red hearts it costs because the last few times I picked it up I lost all (3-4) heart containers I had. Still an awesome item though, and a great help for ??? runs.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, I found this out earlier too. If you get an item that would kill you but it grants bonus hearts, you don't die. I think the bonus hearts are applied first, or at the same time or something.

Oh I already figured that out about Rebirth. What I'm talking about is that I had 3 red hearts and went to buy Abaddon in the Devil room for 2, but when I bought it it removed all 3 and gave me the 6 sin hearts. I know that it gives you 6 sin hearts no matter what, I've gotten it a bunch with ???, but does it always eliminate all your red heart capacity and I just didnt notice before?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Holy poo poo

:siren: the credit card works in the devil room :siren:

what

WHAT!?

this changes everything, I hope they dont fix this

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

First floor won't spawn a devil/angel room unless you force it (goat, joker card, lucky red chest etc.)

After that, mainly focus on reducing damage you take, the less you take on a floor the higher a chance you'll get a devil/angel rooms.

If you go into a devil room and resist the temptation to deal with the devil, the next floor (and likely the floor after that) has a dramatically increased chance of being an angel room instead. Note that you CAN and probably should take any items he gives you as freebies (sin hearts, red chests) the ONLY thing that really matters is trading health for items.

Grab faith up items, these supposedly should increase soul heart spawns and angel rooms (though no one's datamined to find actual confirmation/numbers on that yet as far as I know).

Angel rooms can still totally spawn if you get "evil up" items or have the goat's head (the latter I can totally confirm, which is really annoying when you're trying to get devil deals as Eve to cut her hearts down for permanent Whore o' Babylon effect and to get more room for soul hearts)

And remember: whatever else goes on, BOI is random as gently caress so nothing is guaranteed. Even following the perfect instructions you're STILL not guaranteed to get what you need or want.

It isnt really "less damage" so much as no damage at all in the floor and boss room (which also counts as floor damage too iirc). So if you get hit I think your chance at a devil/angel room is only like 1% or something. Although some items change the percentage, like the Pentagram, that can make it higher.

Somebody listed all the rules for it pages ago and I'm fairly sure that was accurate. Although I did take a devil deal once and then eventually got an angel room, I think it's posible just highly, highly unlikely.

\/\/\/\/ right sorry, forgot to mention that. At least that's how it working in the original, and it seems the same in Rebirth

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So I'm assuming that if you're The Lost and you get an item that when you die turning you into another character any wins after that count as that character right, not the Lost? I've been trying to legit get the Lost off the ground and Judas' Shadow didnt spawn me with any hearts like the Lost, but Lazarus' Rags spawned me with one and I can pick up soul hearts now. If I can use this to cheese the achievements I definitely will because I'm not having much luck so far, but it'd be nice to know if I'm just wasting my time. Anybody know?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

President Ark posted:

Correct, if something respawns you as another character you count as this character. This was in the original; the Ankh would turn you into blue baby and you'd get his unlocks when you won after burning the Ankh.

The Moon Monster posted:

The revive as so-and-so items turn you into the character you revived as for unlock purposes, unfortunately. 1-UP and dead cat still work, though.

Well drat, thanks. Didn't actually know that about the original or this one, so I've just been doing it all legit. But gently caress me if the Lost isnt the biggest pain in the rear end so far, all the Devil Deals I even make it too are utter poo poo.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

AnonSpore posted:

Holy poo poo the lost, it's amazing and terrible and Jesus Christ how do people manage this.

:smith::hf::smith: I feel ya bud

AndroidHub posted:

Is Pandora's Box supposed to do more than give you two soul hearts? because I've gotten it three times now and that's all it does for me, seems a little underwhelming since there's a card that does the same thing.

It has random chances to drop different things. I've gotten just two soul hearts out of it few times yes, but also trinkets and pedestal items sometimes.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Huh, so We Need To Go Deeper, the shovel I dont usually pick up cause I dont want to miss anything that could help me, doesn't always spawn trapdoors to the next level anymore. It can also create ladder trapdoors to an item or those devil deal shops.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Zeron posted:

Mushrooms are pretty great if you have a big supply of bombs because they have a decent chance of spawning the magic mushroom.

As well as mini mush, which isn't a bad thing to have. If you have good pills going in your run, or PhD, they're also worth it because they can spawn pills. The only drawback is if you have leo or thunder thighs you're likely to hurt yourself on the poison clouds they sometimes produce.

Skulls drop tarot cards and some devil deal room stuff rarely, like the ghost baby and the mark. Just make sure the room is cleared before you explode them, cause they can spawn those pop-up head enemies, but they're easy enough to deal with since they disappear if you leave the room and come back.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
List of items that will only appear in the Devil Room when I'm playing as Lost:

Gimpy, Guppy's Hair Ball, Missing Page 2, Razor Blade, Satanic Bible, Book of Sin, Lord of the Pit, Judas' Shadow, Ceremonial Robes, and the Dark Bum

And, of course, red chests full of spiders.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Hey, the book of sin's alright.

Yeah it is, but I wasnt kidding with that post. Of the half the time my runs make it to the Devil Room the first time that is all that is in there. loving Lost is driving me insane.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I unlocked the Cellar today. I am among the... what, 2.5%?

I really wish I loving hadn't now, so those people are the smart ones.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I know people hate Pin, and loathe the Haunt, and Scolex is annoying, but gently caress me if the Bloat isnt my kryptonite as a boss.

I just made it to boss rush as the Lost and his sideways laser popped a second after he spawned and before I could get above him. gently caress.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Manatee Cannon posted:

The bosses that worry me are the Dark one and the Adversary. Whenever I get a double trouble of either I die a little inside.

The Dark One isnt so bad, but the Adversary is a bitch. Double him up and good luck sucker. But he doesnt annoy me as much as the Bloat, like if I die to him I'm like ok, he's just a tough boss. But the Bloat I'm tearing my hair out because I should have seen it coming.

I did just beat the Chest with the Lost though, legit. It was a bitch of a time and I died in the boss rush, but dead cat from a random red chest in cellar 2 was the reason I won basically.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I just let him blast me in the face with his blood laser

This happened to me today. I held down r asap.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does it wear off over a set period of time, or is it by rooms cleared?

I can't even see the Dark One when he dims the lights. Have the same problem with spiders during the curse of darkness.

I just had a good Lost run end from a Dark One. I blame the punching bag I had though, he had been focusing on that so I was lil'brimstoning him away and then bam, he fire straight at me instead.

I turned my gamma way up, I got sick of not actually seeing anything

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 16, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

something posted:

So uh.... i did the cathedral for the first time just now and... i killed isaac at the exact same time he killed me. I got the death screen and all but it said i unlocked a bag of pennies.

I guess my question is...did I win or not?

Well you got the unlock at least. What character were you using? I cant remember if Isaac is one of the symbols that appears in the character select screen, but you could check that if so.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Wait, let me get this straight: to actually, fully, completely 100% the game, you need to not only beat the Chest, Dark Room, and Boss Rush with the Lost, but do all of those on Hard too, as well as on Hard for each of those on every other character?

:psyduck:

I'm dead, this game has killed me. When they find my body there will be a note next to it detailing my crippling Stockholm Syndrome that lead me to die playing this game (of old age, of course)

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I had a Lost run going where I had the Holy Mantle AND Dead Cat, as well as near full damage scythes going. I beat Mom and in trying to dodge her last attack I instantly picked up the Polaroid.

I've already beaten the Chest with the Lost :smithicide:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Kawalimus posted:

One thing I hate in this is how the items will spawn right on top of you after a boss fight and you pick it up. Really screws over an Options and/or reroll situation.

Yeah I really really wish that there a system more like the trapdoors to the next level, where if it appears right below you, you get time to move away before it activates so you can consider what to do.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

Hahaha, Credit Card + Blank Card. Free shops and devil deals FOREVER!

Blank Card is so OP if you find the right pick up. So much so that I'll pick it up in a shop even if I dont have a pick-up at the time. If you've done the Purist the Rune of Perthro rerolls items like the D4. Except with the Blank Card its a 4-room recharge, not 6. The only thing I cant get it working with is Pills, does it just not work for them? I wanted to max my Luck one run but it wouldnt do anything.

Also how does the Sharp Plug work? Platinumgod.co.uk says you hold spacebar to give some red heart to charge your item, but nothing happens when I try that. What gives?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, Blank Card doesn't work with pills. I guess you write the rune on the card to copy it? Or runes are basically just brand new, reskinned cards? Might be fun to cheese the gently caress out of with Suicide King + Dead Cat as well.

Oh, and important note: If you cheese a devil deal with the credit card, they DO NOT count against God rooms. I got one the very next floor after charging a fear-shot purchase to mommy's card. :v:

And have you tried holding down space? There might be some protection to keep you from fumble-fingering it. Either that or I've also heard that the sharp plug only works on fully empty items, so if your item regains a charge by killing off the room...

Tracula posted:

I believe for Sharp Plug to work your bar as to be totally empty. If you have one bit of charge in there at all it won't work.

Ah, that must be it. I dont recall having a charge but I cant think of any other reason why it wouldnt work. And the Blank Card works with Runes yes, it works just like how it does with the Tarot cards, when you have a full charge of your Blank Card and hit spacebar it will do the effect of the Rune without losing the Rune.

Does Mongo Baby replace your familiars entirely? I'm trying to do another Lost run and I got lucky enough to pick up Holy Mantle first floor again, but so far the only damage output the game's given me is lil' steven and a ghost baby from a devil room (I left the Little Planet alone, gently caress that). My latest floor had the Mongo Baby and now my other two babies are gone and he is mimicking their shots.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

ChibiSoma posted:

Good god, Bisnap. Skip to around 21:45. Polyphemus + Proptosis + Rubber Cement + Double Shot + Death's Touch.

His Lamb kill is the fastest I've seen so far. I thought I was doing pretty well on a Sacred Heart run earlier but noooope. Not in comparison to that nonsense!

http://i.imgur.com/2NlBzDL.gif

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just checked and my losing streak is actually only at -260. I thought it was more than that. Anyway, some things I remember off the top of my head:

- Holy Mantle acquired 4 times, once via the D4. One of those ended by being blindsided by Krampus and then a red fire and the rest suffered from low damage later in the run.
- Brimstone has shown up exactly once, and it was like the fourth run I did with The Lost.
- Dead Cat has shown up twice. Both runs died to The Fallen in Depths 1 because I was too slow to outrun the charge and too weak to destroy it fast.
- Gnawed Leaf has shown up zero times. Neither has Tiny Planet (although that wouldn't be helpful, I just think it's a neat item).
- Epic Fetus has shown up twice, in consecutive runs if I am remembering right.
- Undefined has shown up a few times, and once it took me to the I Am Error room either three or four times in a row, letting me get down to Depths 2.

I'm starting to lose heart with these The Lost runs. I thought I was better at this game than this, but the early floors are so mind-numbingly awful with him and when I get later in the run every room is nerve-wracking. I think I might go to Plan B and work on other achievements while also finishing up the donation machine so I can hope to luck into the Stopwatch with The Lost or something.

The Lost is driving me insane. Every time I think I have a potential good run going the game decides to absolutely screw me. I've gotten Holy Mantle 1st treasure room 4 times, same as you, but in each case the game would only give me 1) only hp up items from bosses, 2) no damage up/tears up/ tear mods at all, 3) red chest only devil rooms and angel rooms with soul hearts, and worst of all 4) no key drops, on Normal for gently caress's sake. I honestly keep hoping for Gnawed Leaf + some kind of passive damage follower but I never see the drat thing.

I've managed to beat the Chest and Satan with the Lost too, but I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever do Boss Rush or the Lamb. I cant imagine doing this on hard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

AnonSpore posted:

I did the Lost achievements the last of all my poo poo. Stopwatch helps immensely (though you still have to be on your toes for a lot of bosses/enemies).

Good god, you must be infinitely better at this game than I am to have done all the Lost stuff with everything unlocked. I'm almost considering redoing my save just so that I could only unlock what is actually useful for him.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a Black Lotus? Apparently it is a very rare secret room pedestal item, but it was news to me that it even existed until I saw it on platinumgod.