Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Tracula posted:

Yeah, if you get a full set of three orbitals it's hard to notice how many shots they block sometimes but they will save your rear end several times over against the bullet hell enemies.

Not just blocking shots but the meat and bandage orbitals deal a poo poo TON of damage just on their own if you're good enough at maneuvering to not get hit yourself. You can mow enemies down with those things, they're insane in this game. You could do it in the first game too but I feel like they do more in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Lamb isn't really so tough, but if you don't know his attack patterns he'll probably whoop you pretty good. Same with a lot of stuff. The areas leading up to him are much harder than the boss itself.

Also thanks to Emperor Card and Broken Watch for getting me an easy Dead Boy.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I've gotten Sacred Heart twice in this game so far. On two runs in a row! Those two runs?? Maggie and Judas jobbing on their way to helping me unlock the Lost.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

So how do you guys deal with lost runs? I just had a start where the curse room teleported me to the devil room where i found guppy, brimstone and a follower, but i couldnt exit the curse room anymore.

Curse rooms on Lost are only really doable if you can bomb your way into them or if you have Holy Mantle. Other than that you gotta avoid them.

With Lost I usually restart until my first item room is something really solid.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

RatHat posted:

They can be used if you have a teleport pill/card as well since you aren't damaged by entering them if you have flying.

That's true, also a broken horn or something to that effect. Basically you need some help to get out of there without dying.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just checked and my losing streak is actually only at -260. I thought it was more than that. Anyway, some things I remember off the top of my head:

- Holy Mantle acquired 4 times, once via the D4. One of those ended by being blindsided by Krampus and then a red fire and the rest suffered from low damage later in the run.
- Brimstone has shown up exactly once, and it was like the fourth run I did with The Lost.
- Dead Cat has shown up twice. Both runs died to The Fallen in Depths 1 because I was too slow to outrun the charge and too weak to destroy it fast.
- Gnawed Leaf has shown up zero times. Neither has Tiny Planet (although that wouldn't be helpful, I just think it's a neat item).
- Epic Fetus has shown up twice, in consecutive runs if I am remembering right.
- Undefined has shown up a few times, and once it took me to the I Am Error room either three or four times in a row, letting me get down to Depths 2.

I'm starting to lose heart with these The Lost runs. I thought I was better at this game than this, but the early floors are so mind-numbingly awful with him and when I get later in the run every room is nerve-wracking. I think I might go to Plan B and work on other achievements while also finishing up the donation machine so I can hope to luck into the Stopwatch with The Lost or something.

That's why I have two restart points. Point #1 is lovely first item room, point #2 is if I don't feel adequately strong enough after the first devil deal room. There's some exceptions and funny enough one of those exceptions is where I actually won on the chest with him, got nine lives so I kept going even though I wasn't strong.

But in my mind there's no point in grinding out Lost runs. You will either be super strong and have a chance, or not be strong enough and guaranteed to lose. If you're having a low damage run I say it's best to just restart. Cause even if you're good enough to get through some of it, you WILL get hit on the later floors unless you're absolutely amazing at dodging.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Vic Boss posted:

There are only 3 bandage balls, IIRC. 4 cubes of meat, though.

Don't think this is true, cause I got Revelations and got 3 bandage balls but got hosed over by Conquest, and no achievement or anything.

I think these are my least favorite achievements in the game. I managed to get Monster Manual, Nun's Habit, and Blood Plug or whatever but I still couldnt' get the stupid things. I guess I need the wafer or something else. I might get the Lost's negative path and boss rush stuff done before getting these things.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 21, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Is there a link to how to do the Monster Manuel stuff?

There's Options is good but it's pretty uncommon to show up in the shop, so having that and Book of Revs show up when it needs to is pretty much as unlikely as getting it legit.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's pieces of the process I outlined earlier based on seeing Richard_Hammer going through it all on stream:

To summarize, you want the most efficient reroll engine possible and some way to make sure you can reroll an arbitrarily large number of times (hence the Pyromaniac healing),

Thanks. I GOT THEM!!! Just now. I didn't have Pyromaniac so it was pretty suspenseful. Got the plug and wafer(had epic fetus too which helped me get money and secret rooms and such), then got full red hearts, then got down to Chest with full health and a Sun card and on my third reroll I got the Monster Manual. I managed to get a bandage girl level 4 early on but on the entire reroll run didn't get a meat boy. But I did get charm of the vampire so I decided to finish out the floor and see if I could get lucky. Well I went into the secret room and I had PHD and there were three pills. Two of them were full health!!! So I went crazy again and with 6 red hearts left on my last run of health a level 4 meat boy came in. Whew! That was a pain in the rear end and glad I'll never do that crap again.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Iny posted:

What would you guys fix if you were patching this game?

Here are my thoughts -- these things are either totally unsalvageable bad ideas or clear errors / oversights:

- "R U A Wizard" and "Paralysis" are not good pills. They're very bad. PhD should get rid of them.

- Enemies that can teleport or burrow often pop up directly beneath you, inflicting inescapable damage for no reason just because you happened to roll a room with them in it. There should be a radius around your character where these guys can't appear.

- Some rooms are literally impossible to get through without taking damage unless you can fly because they have unmoving spikes across the middle of them. Sometimes dropping hearts on either side of these room on generation is not enough. These rooms just need to go. Difficult-to-get-through rooms with moving spikes are one thing, but these are the equivalent of an enemy you can't damage without spectral shot: a stupid dumb bad idea that can't be salvaged.

- Some items don't have synergy. Mom's Knife, Monstro's Lung, Technology 1 and 2, and Brimstone are the major culprits, with each other and with other items like Parasite. I know these aren't insurmountable; they're just, you know, someone forgot to make them work.

Make it so it shows you the seed on the death screen. That way if you want to try a do-over afterwards it doesn't depend on if you wrote it down during the game.

Narrow the drop pool on Lost runs for only the very first item room.

Make it a little easier to get the Meat Boy and Bandage Girl achievements. Maybe have those orbitals be part of the standard boss pool as well??

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 22, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Brett824 posted:

Once you take a Devil Deal it locks it so you can only get Devil Deals and the opposite is not true (or at least it did in the original), so they are obviously going to be more rare unless you're consciously trying for them.

This was true in the last game but I swear on one of my earliest runs I took the first devil deal, skipped the next one I got, then wound up getting an angel room.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm pretty sure I've had an angel room in Basement 2 at some point. As far as I'm aware refusing to buy something from Satan only decreases the chance of devil rooms spawning, and thus increases the chance of an angel room.

I might have gotten lucky and picked up one of the items that increase the chance of an angel room appearing, though.

In the first game you could get devil deals in basement 2 since your actions carried over if you didn't close the game. So if you didn't take your last devil deal and started a new game you would have a shot at an angel room on floor 2. But this game I think resets everything so you'll never get it there unless there's some remote chance I'm not aware of. But I've never seen it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

DEAD BOY ACHIEVED! :neckbeard:

Now I just need to figure out the missing items in my items list are so I can hunt them down for Platinum God. Is there a site that shows every item arranged in where they are in Rebirth's Item List?

Yeah I'd be interested in this too. I have 15 to go. I know what a few of them are but some I am totally clueless.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

So the only thing I really have left to do is beat mega satan. Well, I still haven't done the challenges or unlocked all the items but honestly I'll probably never get around to those.

Is there a good strategy for getting angel rooms consistently? I know accepting a devil deal will pretty much screw you, how do devil hearts and red chests affect it? Any other tricks?

I actually managed to get the key in one run but then died in the womb :negative:

I think playing as Judas is a good idea since his Book of Belial guarantees you a special deal now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

The wiki says it increases the chance of a devil room by 25%. Do you know if it just increases the chance of getting a special room in general or does it specifically make devil rooms more likely? Because it would actually probably be a bad thing to hold onto in that case (at least after you've turned down your first devil deal)

It's special rooms in general I'm like 99% sure. Same idea as goat head. It was 25% in vanilla Isaac but I think it might be stronger in this one. I'm gonna do a Judas run right now and check.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Yep, it's 100%. Just went to the 2nd floor boss and intentionally took red heart damage, room still showed up. Also stays there no matter how many times I enter and exit the boss room. Whether this is by accident or on purpose that's how the book works now. Whoever wrote that in the wiki was just going by the old version.

So Book of Belial is super powerful in this game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Genocyber posted:

That's not how probability works.

No poo poo sherlock, but what I"m saying is if I leave the room and the devil room is always there, then it's giving me the goat head effect. Otherwise it would disappear. Either way that item is way good for getting devil rooms and you start with it.

Just for all you smart-alecks, went down to the next floor and took red-heart damage on the boss again. Got another deal with the devil(last time took little brimstone, this time took 9 lives). Once again the devil room doesn't disappear. Here I go to the next floor!

If it's not 100% it's close to it. I should've had about a 6% or so chance to get that last one.

Got it again. tried to take red-heart damage but the hollow died to my spiders before i could :D. Took the Mark.

Next floor, got Depths 1. Took red-heart damage on boss, got deal with the devil, again. Krampus. Beat mom, took red-heart on purpose, got devil deal. Took Pentagram. Skipping boss rush! Womb 1, got devil deal.

It's 100%.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 24, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

The devil room isn't guaranteed to disappear if you don't go in it. It might, but it might not. If you're trying to say that the book guarantees a devil room on every floor, you're wording it very oddly.

It's not but it won't stay there more than once. When you can go in and out and in and out and it always stays there, that's the goat-head effect. I have another idea to test.

Ok it's not quite goat head. I picked up Shoop da Whoop on the 2nd floor and intentionally didn't get a devil room. But I picked up Belial again, went back into the room and there wasn't a devil room. So its' not quite that powerful, but it does seem to virtually guarantee a devil deal every floor if you're holding it in the boss fight. Maybe it's like 99% or something, but it's not just a flat 25% I'm sure.

Goat Head will even retroactively give them to you.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 25, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Must work differently in this game then cause I've never seen it happen that many times and I checked on EVERY floor.

But again I know how devil rooms work, And there is no way I should have gotten Devil Rooms every single time after not only taking them, but taking red-heart damage in boss rooms. I'll run the drat thing again.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Beeme posted:

I was told you had to use it on the floor, like you would use the Book of Revelations to guarantee a horsemen. Did you use it when you picked it up again?

I didn't. That's a very very good possibility though and possibly the reason for all this confusion. Either way, that means Belial is a 100% chance as long as you use it, which isn't anything tricky to do obviously.

I ran it again though and again took red heart damage on floor 2, and took a devil deal. Then on floor 3 took red heart damage on the boss again, got a devil deal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I didn't. That's a very very good possibility though and possibly the reason for all this confusion. Either way, that means Belial is a 100% chance as long as you use it, which isn't anything tricky to do obviously.

I ran it again though and again took red heart damage on floor 2, and took a devil deal. Then on floor 3 took red heart damage on the boss again, got a devil deal.

I tried this experiment again. It doesn't work just using Belial and not holding the item. You have to be holding it in the boss room.

I think it's just holding the book that gives you a near 100% chance of getting a devil deal.

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/The_Book_Of_Belial

"Holding this item guarantees the spawning of a Devil Room after defeating a boss. (Note: Devil rooms cannot spawn on the first floor, unless the floor is XL.)"

That wiki, at least, also says it's guaranteed. So you smart-alecks can suck on that :)

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Monster Manual in the chest with D6 and a combo of shop items(and pyromaniac plus bombs if you're real lucky) is the best method, I think. It can take a couple tries but it's not too bad to pull off.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

abraxas posted:

Guys I'm an (almost) complete BoI virgin. I bought the original back when it came out but hardly played it because of lack of time and commitment. I only recently decided to check out Rebirth and so far it's great fun if incredibly hard to my inept self.

The biggest problem though is that I basically have no idea about anything at all. I don't know any of the items or item names, I have no idea what all the different doors do or why sometimes some of them are barred and I can't get in and so on and so forth. Basically, I know absolutely nothing.

I read a couple of pages in the thread and have been stumbling around the wiki which was semi-helpful. I kinda don't want to use the wiki too much out of fear of spoiling myself or reading things I shouldn't worry about and reading the last ~20 pages of this thread has only been helpful insofar that it made me realize I have no idea what you guys are talking about :v:

So basically what I'm asking is, as a complete newbie, what should I be doing it looking at to at least have some sort of clue? I managed to get all the way through the stages and get an ending cutscene of some sort but I'm still not really sure what the hell. Should I focus on unlocking characters? Items? Please guide me, BoI gurus!

For some real quick advice that doesn't spoil any item effects, a big way people tend to win this game is by going a floor(aside from the first one) without taking red heart damage. This has a chance to open a "devil room" where you exchange hearts often for very useful items. There's chances if you just don't take red-heart damage on the boss but the whole floor gives you the best chance. So basically try to learn to avoid enemy attacks well and use the spirit hearts(often found in those tinted rocks) to give yourself the best chance to win. There's a lot more to this but that's the gist of it.

But yeah if you want to get deeper into the game focus on beating all the stuff with the characters and unlocking them, and more stuff and more stuff will unlock. Also beating the challenges will unlock items into the game.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Uuuughhhh got beat by the Lamb with Lost on hard, had his health down to the last like 1/8th, had holy mantle active, got hit twice by his loving brimstone. gently caress

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

HGH posted:

Press Escape before the game over screen. Then AltF4. Sure when you Continue you'll have to redo the whole floor but would you rather redo the run?

Well it was too late for that :D

But I did it. I did it!!!! I beat that god drat lamb thanks to brimstone and good damage and an emperor card and holy mantle and dead cat.

Now all I have to do is boss rush.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I think my favorite item vs its version in old Isaac is Chocolate Milk. It was an objectively good item in the old one but I still HATED using it. In this one it just feels a lot better. I can charge up a shot and instantly pepper in some really fast tears right following it. It's a lot of fun.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I played Magic with friends back in middle school. Those cards like Chaos Confetti were from a joke set called "Unglued" that had all sorts of silly stuff and weren't considered "real" cards. Another thing in there was something called "BFM" I think which was a 99/99 power card that had two cards to it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Just unlocked GODHEAD!!! Miraculously made it to and cleared boss rush mode with Epic Fetus. Thanks to an Algiz rune I had I was able to fight the last four enemies while invulnerable, probably saved me from getting picked off by those scythes that come off the screen out of nowhere.

Now all that's left is to get these pesky items to show up. Steven, Lotus, Godhead, Mind, Soul, Stopwatch, the stupid Dollar, 1-up, D-100, the pill jar(which i just never bought on the regular game), and Mystery Sack. This might be a little annoying.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I have 10 items left in this game and more than half of those are from the god drat secret room pool. What the hell is with the extremely low item drop rate from that. I guess the best thing to do is blow up the guy in the middle or hope to fight Greed and get rerolls? Ugh.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

For secret rooms I just put on a movie in one half of the screen and the game in the other. Go Isaac and bomb the wall of the first room you are in. If you don't get a secret room or the secret room doesnt have an item then restart. The D6 gives you an extra chance if you get the wrong item. Theres more efficient ways to do it but this is pretty mindless and simple.

Man that's awful. But I've come this far, I might as well do it.

I guess the best way for Steven is just Azazel until the boss pops up then kill the big guy last? Does There's Options work on him? It would be rare to get that and the boss anyway though.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

There's Options with bosses with guaranteed drops just gives a random boss item for the second one, not another item from their pool. I've had it for horsemen and you don't get Ball of Bandages + Cube of Meat.

If that doesn't work then would it work if you somehow got Little Steven as an early drop? Would that guarantee Steven? Still would be a rare situation. That item will be stupid to get. But I've whittled my list down to 5!!!

Transcendence, Missingno, Dollar, Steven, and Godhead. That's all I got left! That first room secret room strategy is great.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

I just unlocked The Lost this afternoon, and my first run must have been glitched because I couldn't die, leading to effortless Satan and Lamb kills. on my PS4.

After Basement 2, Satan sold me the Dead Cat for 3 souls, and I didn't get any more Devil Rooms after that. In Caves 1, I died and was resurrected by the Dead Cat. After that, I just kept taking hits and not dying. At first I thought that Dead Cat might work differently for The Lost and just act like hearts because I wasn't warping out of the rooms when I got hit. Also I took way more than 9 hits. By the time I killed Satan I realized the game was completely screwed because I was immortal and The Body was unlocked. In the Dark Room I didn't even bother dodging. The Lamb's head cornered me in his chamber and pummeled on me but it didn't matter, I slowly killed him and unlocked The Soul.

I don't know if I'm the luckiest Goon on the forums today or if there's something else going on, but I'm going to go try another round and see if my game's still glitched, and if it is I'll abuse the gently caress out of it.

This is a glitch that hasn't gotten fixed yet on PS4 I guess. It's where if you get Dead Cat, Lost basically becomes invincible.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Just got Missingno and my list is down to 3 items. Just Steven, Transcendence, and Godhead. But I'm posting this to say that Missingno run was a blast. You never knew what you were gonna end up with on a floor. I somehow managed to win the game with these crazy tear bombs that took out Blue Baby. On the previous floor I wound up with Pyro so had 99 bombs. I hope what that item comes up with is truly randomized cause I'd like to just play runs with that item sometimes so I can just track down a seed with it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Man you know you're in for a headache when Godhead is the easiest one to get out of those.

Transcendence will pop up eventually on the first floor secret room trick. Godhead I haven't gotten to appear despite quite a few attempts at the angel room with the D6 and bombing the angel statue to get two chances. I've had the battery with double charge and 48 hour energy pills before and still nope, not a drat thing. I think I'll get the noose first, then I don't know whether I will just start going azazel crazy going after the steven fight or if I'll just keep going at the Godhead runs. I don't know if it would be faster to try to get a goathead out of a curse room before running it or not.

edit: BAM!! Got Transcendence. Now the real obnoxiousness begins

AND STEVEN!! Easier than I thought it would be to get this one. Just ran the first floor when it was basement until the right boss came up, took three tries then it dropped.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 29, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

God drat this game. Just can't get Godhead to appear. Had a run and got Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, Mom's Toenail(which should give me infinite rerolls, right? If Mom's foot heals you and it comes down once per minute), got Goathead, and of course not a SINGLE loving ANGEL ROOM appears. God drat it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

God drat this game. Just can't get Godhead to appear. Had a run and got Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, Mom's Toenail(which should give me infinite rerolls, right? If Mom's foot heals you and it comes down once per minute), got Goathead, and of course not a SINGLE loving ANGEL ROOM appears. God drat it.

Game must have heard me just like the Ravens do sometimes. I got it!!! And Real plat god!! I think I should take the game's advice too and stop playing for a bit. :D

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That was one of the most powerful runs I've ever had. I've never exhausted the Angel Room item pool before. Not only that I got Godhead and Guppy on the same run. Plu other great items like Blood of the Martyr, Piercing Shot, Rubber Cement, Parasite. Big rooms on the chest were getting obliterated within a second of entering the room.

Bring on the expansion!!!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheModernAmerican posted:

Three times I've seen the black market.

Three times I've had curse of the blind.

Also in this game a good rule is never, ever go down to a floor and even let yourself think "well I'll be ok, so long as I don't get curse of X". Just don't do it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

President Ark posted:

The cellar is slightly harder, but it makes up for it by having much better music.

I love the contrast in the Cellar and Basement themes. Basement sounds like the start of a fun adventure, while Cellar is like "welcome to hell. You are hosed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Hard mode I sort of like and sort of don't. I think it should be made a little better. I would increase the amount of consumable drops by just a little bit, but also do stuff like make it tougher to get devil deals. Like say instead of not taking red heart damage it's you can't take damage at all. Also maybe have more stuff if not all give you one full heart of damage from floor one.

It's kind of cool in a way though because you will value items differently because of the lower drop rates. When consumables are so plentiful there's no real need to buy the consumable increase items from the shop or devil deals but on hard you kind of have to consider them. That said when you don't get keys for like the entirety of floors 2 and 3 you might as well just reset if you aren't willing to grind it out, which I'm usually not.