Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I keep getting sick early game combos that promise to be unstoppable later, but then dying. I'm having fun but I'm ragequitting twice as much as usual haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I have almost no unlocks on keeper, so I was just trying to do a regular run to the chest. Finally got a really good run going.

I walked into a room and instantly get pinched by a couple of those slidy spike blocks. I'm not sure if they were the ones who just follow walls, or the ones who move semi-randomly towards you, but within a second of walking in the room, 2 of them had me trapped in a corner and I couldn't push out and died. This game is so frustrating sometimes.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Azazel is amazel for early game, and sometimes you just need a little boost in the early game to get a deadly run going.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was gonna do a true ending on Eden and unlock tainted Eden and it was going amazing even got Uranus, so I was just freezing every enemy I shot. I had the crystal ball pumping out soul hearts.
Then the tick trinket spawned on top of me so I could no longer pick up the cracked key. Then I started taking stupid damage. Then I finished it off by running into two mimics in a row and dying on the way back up.

Some of those mimics are extremely sneaky and don't throw their stupid spikes out until the last second.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

No Wave posted:

You can hold the tick and cracked key. Cracked key is a consumable (like a card/rune), tick is a trinket.

Hahaha oh poo poo you're right I guess I had some wires crossed. I was so rattled about it it definitely contributed to my loss too

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

The Apple of Sodom is a 'real' mythological fruit that turns to ash in your mouth when you bite into it.

Red Dels?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I really hate playing with Jacob/Esau, so i barely have any of the postit done but I really want to unlock birthright ugh

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
After complaining about getting birthright with Jacob and Esau I immediately have a successful run and get it. Died on megasatan though, just so much poo poo to keep track of I was taking damage nonstop when the adds spawn and couldn't stop it. I'm guessing it was some hidden creep but it was a death sentence

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I've always been dogshit at spotting tinted rocks after the first couple levels so I installed a mod to make them stand out a tiny bit more and in the whole run I ended up only finding a couple haha

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
welp

finally buckled down to get rock bottom, which requires jacob and esau to beat boss rush. On Depth II, I stumble into Genesis for the first time! Hell yeah this is a guaranteed win!

Oh it just brings you to the next floor? I guess I won't get boss rush, or any other unlocks without the polaroid

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Ariong posted:

What did you think it did?

I thought it just gave you items and then plopped you back where you used it, because I'm a dumbass

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I had a pretty sick run on the lost to finally beat Greedier mode. Even had 9 lives and guppy's collar just to guarantee that win.

I finally beat Ultragreed on the 15th life :frog:
Got some real lucky rolls with that guppy's collar haha holy poo poo. Took me like an hour. loving Ultragreed sniping me with that one attack that sends rocks at you, so many times.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently I'm only good when I have to clutch. Doing the Mother unlock on Eve. Decent run, had 9 lives again. Took like 8 hits and died on my first try. Was tempted to just give up there. I ended up beating her on my last life, which meant I couldn't get hit at all. It was close!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Here's a thing I'm not sure was mentioned:

If you're lazarus and take red heart damage, losing your devil deal chance, but then come back to life using his new mechanic, your devil deal goes back to 100% (or whatever). I haven't thoroughly tested it but I'm bad at the game and got hit and then killed myself (in game), and it jumped back up.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I finally got rock bottom by getting boss rush with Jacob and Esau. I'm terrible for going real slow so I was purposefully smashing my way through, didn't get a single devil/angel deal. Had decent damage by the time I got to boss rush.

I beat it by the skin of my teeth. Half a heart left on BOTH characters haha I was so ready to rage quit again.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Haha I just fought delirium the first time in like 6 months. Died at about 10% health.

Lucky for me I had 9 lives!!!!!

So I proceeded to get telefragged about 7 more times. I think 2 of the times I just killed myself out of anguish

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
One of the biggest draws for me with repentance is they took another pass through all the tear effects and added synergies. It's way less likely you completely gently caress up your good amazing run by taking an item that'll just overwrite every tear effect you have

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was getting the last postit mark on Appolyon (the beast) and had a great run going. I accidentally sucked up data miner and made Void useless. Ended up dying to a stupid falling stalactite at the end.

Are there any good use cases for Data Miner? Or is ed still super salty about them ruining his secrets. Is there a mod to get rid of it or make it somewhat useful

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
That is a good point.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
There's some pretty insane runs you can get, but it was kind of annoying they nerfed the d4/d100 so badly

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm glad I spent hours trying to unlock some of the new run winning items like Rock Bottom, just for me to literally never have seen it :negative:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
That is good tips but gently caress now I have to unlock the reverse cards that sounds hard

edit: reverse lovers was super easy to unlock

The Fattest PI fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2022

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Wait what changed on Tainted Eden? I haven't played him since pretty much launch because it was so obnoxious

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I had time for a couple games today so I decided to knock out some challenges. I haven't done a lot of them, and there was even a decent chunk of the original set of challenges I hadn't finished yet. I managed to finish all the left over original challenges first try.
I can't believe I've been playing all this time without
Credit Card
Berkano
Swallowed Penny
Burnt Penny

They were not hard to unlock :ughh:

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It is unfortunate that the 3rd HP coin on the keeper is locked behind Hush, and also unfortunate that I didn't realize that before getting most of the post its

I guess I should gun for it now before hitting the repentence stuff

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm trying to get to boss rush+hush on keeper, and I keep getting runs full of 0 dps upgrades, and a whole lot of 0 rarity garbage in the item rooms. I finally got a decent run going and got instakilled in a room right before boss rush and rage quit haha fuuuuuuuuuck

I have a hard time making the boss rush timer for some reason. I was even skipping item rooms if it was out of my way.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Oh my god, I finally got a decent run going with keeper, and then I picked up C-Section and I was blasting through rooms in seconds. I was at Mom's door at 10 minutes.
The last room was a 2x2 and it had 2 of those boss guys that go underground. They killed me by popping up under me repeatedly. I had Venus so there was a weird interaction when they got charmed as they got close, so I couldn't predict them like you'd normally do, and just popped up on top of me over and over. oh my loving god so frustrating

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think I've become guppy since repentance came out now that I think of it, and there's even more guppy items now.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah C-section seems to have a specifically designed synergy with literally every tear effect

It's nuts that the devs probably had to sit down and spend maybe a few dozen hours coding in the 100 synergies for this new item that 50% of players might never unlock, and then the ones who do might see it like 1% of the time. I'm glad they did tho

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I haven't gotten a broken run like that in a long while. It's always a little cathartic breaking it WAAAY past what you need to win, kind of like a little "gently caress you" to the game for all the times it was a jerk.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not a game dev but I think balancing anything around streamers who play the game for a living is probably a bad idea.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
My complaints about the breakability are extremely minor and irrelevant. My complaints about the game being a stupid loving rear end in a top hat are extremely relevant. I finally finished Keeper postit. That's probably as bad as it gets right. Right?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I complain about my bad skill bad luck a lot, but to be fair I've only ever got The Stairway on Beast runs where I have lots of money. It's so awesome on the way back up you just get peppered with angel items. If you're low on health you get a poo poo ton of heart containers too.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I like star of bethlehem it seems real low key but drat if you actually use it it melts everything.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I think there's a flat 1% chance to get a planetarium, and you get the 20% bonus chance if you miss a treasure room. There's also some weird interactions with XL floors, and I've also seen a treasure room + planetarium on the first floor

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Blank Card no longer working with runes was a giant nerf and I almost never take it anymore.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I just did that!
I lucked out and had a decent run. I think I got umbillical cord and got two of the bullet eating familiars out of it so I was able to just post up right in mega satan's face behind them.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah like you can rush straight for rock bottom and then that way you get the benefit of it never showing up for the rest of your runs while you unlock other stuff.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Pre-repentence balance, it was often really annoying because there was a pile of items that did sweet gently caress all except maybe increase your range. The item descriptor mod wouldn't have really helped with that cause most of the time you'd be forced to take it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm trying out the coop beta, and not having item description mod is devastating