Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Here's hoping there are even more "an exploding enemy spawns directly next to the door" layouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Something I like about this game is that it's actually really clever about communicating its mechanics to you for the most part. The use of items may not be apparent immediately, but if you're paying close attention the game is good about giving visual cues. Whenever I see someone stream/Let's Play the game and they get confused or frustrated, they're invariably not reading the text closely or missing a very clear visual indicator of some kind. I say this having seen items I'd never seen before on-stream and immediately recognizing their effect long before the streamer did.

Also someone mentioned luck, and that's the other thing I love about this game. Luck is actually not important at all and the game's been very purposefully designed that way. Every room is crafted to be beatable with a bare minimum of abilities (hence stuff like The Purist being a thing.) What this means is that every build is technically viable and can win the game, with the quality of the build only determining the difficulty of victory, not the possibility. BoI can't screw you over in the same way a game like FTL can, where you'll frequently find yourself losing simply because the game decided not to allow you to buy weapons that could kill the final boss.

Binding of Isaac is a great game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Iny posted:

Ring Worm + Tiny Planet = incredible bullshit, I'm laughing really hard at this

I don't care if Tiny Planet actually sucks, I want to combo it with everything just to see what happens.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Your Computer posted:

..and I couldn't disagree more with this. Well, the first part anyway. I've spent so many hundred hours in the original game that I couldn't possibly say it's a bad game, but it (and unfortunately this game too) has it's fair share of "HEY GUESS WHAT, HAVE SOME DAMAGE". There are so many rooms where you literally can't avoid taking damage, and that could easily either spell your doom or rob you of an achievment. Some may argue that most (not all!) rooms have some way of avoiding damage, whether that is having flight, massive damage or some way to damage the whole room.. but even still, getting the no-damage achievements etc. is a lot up to luck.

I'm finding this is more true in Rebirth than the original game, and that's unfortunate. The "explode on death" type of Champion enemies are really a bad idea in this regard. 90% of the time I take unexpected damage, it's from one of those.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Alteisen posted:

Hard mode seems like a waste of time, other than a few champ enemies and bigger rooms I don't notice a huge difference, what is pissing me off is the lack keys and bombs, no room seems to drop anything when I empty it.

That doesn't sound fun. "You're not allowed to have keys," is a pretty crappy way to raise the game's difficulty. How many, if any, unlocks are hidden behind Hard Mode?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Azazel is really interesting, but how viable it is depends on what you get in the long run. Having to get that close to mom's heart or something is a death sentence. Really nice for unlocking Eve or Samson, though. My first run with him I got so many different lasers, it was amazing.

Yeah, I used him on a suicide run for Eve and it only took a few minutes. I can't imagine going too deep with him, though. Do Range Ups actually increase his range? They don't seem to.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 7, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Okay, could someone explain to me how the hell Flaming Tears works? It seems like your tears have a random chance of exploding like a bomb on impact. Is it actually random or is there a method to it I'm not seeing. If it's random, that's a really terrible powerup, because it means you have to play russian roulette every time an enemy wanders close to you.

During a run yesterday I got Flaming Tears via a No. 1 dice room. I spent the rest of the run seemingly taking damage at random and having no clue what was going on.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Ahahaha. A dice room gave me Flaming Tears and Bob's Rotten Brain when I'd never seen either of those items before.

This build will be dubbed "You're taking damage and you don't know why."

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If you kill Mom's Heart as part of a challenge does it count towards your wins to get It Lives and stuff like that?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sweetroy posted:

I keep on starting up a game, not getting good upgrades and quitting out :(. All I want is crazy combos!

This is valid. It's how I played the last game and I'll probably reach that point with this one soon enough.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The more I play Eve the more I like her. Sell all your hearts to the Devil -> Become Danger Mario -> Destroy everything.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Read posted:

From what I remember of Ed's posts before-release, the token system is more to prevent scumming for OP starts than it is to act as a reward. I kind of agree though, I don't feel much impetus to play Eden other than to get unlocks.

Other ways to get Tokens would be nice. I'd pay 15 cents for one at a shop. Hell, I'd love to pay a heart to the Devil for one if I was playing as Eve.

EDIT: Actually, what'd be rad is if you got an Eden Token for every...say...30 coins you put in a Donation box. That way you'd also have a more steady reward system for the box.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Read posted:

Yeah, Eve gets really good later... it's just that I loathe playing potentially multiple floors with 1 damage stat :(

Slam your face into the first enemy you see. Twice.

Now you're all set for a proper Eve run.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Okay, so Range Ups do increase Azarel's range, just very slightly. On this last run I got a bunch of Range Up pills with him and there was a noticeable difference, though by the end he was still only going about 1/3 of the screen with his shot.

Also, getting the Three Dollar Bill with Azarel is quite an adventure. Sometimes the wheel lands on homing shots, in which case "Surprise! You Win!"

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Magres posted:

Eve owns yo. Just trade away your heart containers so you max at one heart and then crush the world with your like +3 damage and speed from Whore of Babylon. Seriously that item is so strong. It's like playing Judas except with significantly better stats in exchange for Book of Belial. Eve is legit one of my favorite characters, just get her down to one or zero max health and play her like you'd play Blue.

Yeah, this. She's a little dicey for the first couple floors, but make a couple smart trades with the Devil and you're in business. She plays like a hybrid of ??? and Samson, but better than both because she has hearts to trade unlike ??? and she doesn't reset every floor like Samson does.

Speaking of the Devil, I feel like I'm not seeing The Pact or The Pentagram in devil rooms as much as I used to. Those used to be my go-to bargains in the old game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Darth Windu posted:

What do those do?

You can unlock anything without spending a key, but only for the floor you collect it on.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The way co-op works is actually really cool, if you haven't tried it. The second player becomes a hovering baby who can fly but not pick up anything. The baby gets all the upgrades Isaac does but seems to gets its damage locked at slightly less than his. The trick is that, when the second player jumps in, they take a heart from Isaac, so a standard Isaac would go down to two maximum hearts while Baby has a single heart of its own. If Baby dies, the empty heart reverts back to Isaac. Baby always takes the "next heart in line" for Isaac, so if you have Sin or Soul hearts, Baby will take that instead (with all the associated properties.)

Baby also looks different every time he appears, and some rare forms have unique properties. One has its shot controls reversed. Others drop items when they die.

Nothing about the actual game changes, but the fact that you need to spend hearts to activate co-op is there to keep it from being overpowered. (It's still a little overpowered.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

flatluigi posted:

Generally with big puzzles like this people work together socially to try to solve them. No, one single person wasn't meant to do every part of the puzzle themselves and you're right that it'd be stupid to assume so -- and that's why it's dumb that someone hacked the game to do it themselves instead of people working together socially and naturally.

On the flip side, I don't like obtuse puzzles created with the express purpose of communal solving because I think a good game should communicate itself within itself, so I view this as circumventing bad design.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

flatluigi posted:

Goon doesn't see the appeal of working with other people socially, news at 11

The problem is more that...like...what's the experience going to be for someone coming to this game in ten years? They'll either just never find it or have to dig through an old wiki that may not exist anymore. Designing games just for the immediate playing experience just...isn't great from a game design perspective, especially for a single-player game like this that isn't actually built around an online community.

It's the Minecraft problem of games feeling like they don't need to explain themselves because players will do it for them. Generally speaking, Binding of Isaac is actually good about avoiding this and it's one of the reasons I love it. This just seems like a bit of a misstep.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

NoUU posted:

This isn't comparable to Minecraft at all. It's not tons of crafting recipes to find out, it's one super end game thing that only people really dedicated even care about.

Yeah, I'm probably being a dick about this. I just kinda bristle when "It's supposed to be figured out by the community." gets thrown around. It's fine here I guess, I just don't like that design mindset in general.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Unlucky7 posted:

Honestly, my only complaint about Rebirth is that the new artstyle does not suit the cutscenes (Not gameplay. Cutscenes). Everything else is pretty aces.

Yeah, the cutscenes look weirdly bad in comparison with the rest of the artwork. Something more "in-engine" as it were would probably suit the game better and give it a more cohesive look.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wish Brimstone paired with more things, like Cricket's Body. That'd be a hell of a thing.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Krampus' Head is just completely absurd.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Brother Entropy posted:

'Digital' isn't the word I'd use but I still see what you're getting at. It has a rehearsed quality to it that makes her sound less deranged.

Props to the new voice actress for making Mom's evil laugh just as corny-sounding as the original, though.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Choco1980 posted:

Goddammit, why oh why did I wait until AFTER Everything Is Terrible! to try to get my Eve runs in?! She's just so goddamn weak that even weak enemies eventually corner me.

Rub yourself against the first enemy you see until you're down to 1 heart, then never let yourself go above it. Sell all your heart containers to the Devil and play her like a superpowered version of ???. She's actually pretty amazing if you can keep her in Danger Mode the entire run.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Ror posted:

I'm surprised to see so many comments about Bob's Brain, is it just from blowing yourself up too much? I've gotten it on several runs and it's never really bothered me that much or seemed to change the way I'm playing. Definitely doesn't seem to be a potential run ender like something like Soy Milk could be.

It's not a run-ender, but it is annoying. It forces you to keep your distance from enemies in a way that not every room is laid out to allow. I think Flaming Tears are a lot worse for this because the explosion is random. Bob's Brain you can at least maneuver how you want.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
One character who might be interesting would be David, as in David and Goliath. David starts with all his stats at 1 and no items. However, he has a power-up called "Life Experience" that causes ALL his stats to go up by one every time he reaches a new floor. Life Experience would also be obtainable for other characters in God Rooms.

EDIT: You'd unlock David by full-clearing every floor on the way to killing Mom's Heart. (Secret rooms not required.)

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 10, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The first and only time I've seen Mama Gurdy was when I had a completely absurd Brimstone + Krampus' Head build as Eve. I assume she's difficult but I wouldn't know.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I had a Speed Down in my inventory when I picked up PHD, and it turned it into a Speed Up. :v:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
This game needs a Flak Jacket equivalent that makes you immune to all self-caused explosions. Actually, does that exist? I forget if the first game had that.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A downgraded version might make sense as a shop item though.

Exactly what I was thinking. Have an item called Flak Jacket that's less amazing but more common than Pyromania. In reality, what it would do is apply a "Can't Hurt You" effect to all your explosions, similar to how Poison Bombs affects all explosive attacks you perform. This means enemy explosions would still hurt you. It'd appear in shops and secret rooms fairly commonly, and could also be dropped by Wrath.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I thought of a good idea for an accessory. It would make it so that if you bomb (or otherwise destroy) a rock with a bomb in it, the rock drops a bomb rather than exploding. To fit the referential nature of the game, you could make it a pixely Minecraft diamond and call it "Miner's Charm."

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Nastyman posted:

Callus, How To Jump, The Ladder, Teleport, any kind of invulnerability, get lucky and find a treasure room next to it. It's a roguelike, sometimes you just get hosed.

I don't buy this. Maybe with some roguelikes this is true, but that's because generally roguelikes are badly-designed games that have tricked people into thinking their horrible lack of balance is a feature. Binding of Isaac is almost always good about avoiding no-win scenarios, and when it has them they're almost never baked directly into the generation or level design they way they are in that one room.

It's a clever, but bad idea for a room and doesn't need to be there.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Tears Up does reduce the charge time of charge shots. As for Monstro's Lung, it's good if you have power-ups that give a chance to inflict some sort of status effect on hit. You spit out so many bullets you're pretty much guaranteed to inflict a status on any boss or tough enemy strong enough to not be destroyed outright.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's a full heart that spawns in each of the corners of the room. Doesn't help much if you're the Blue Baby or only have a single heart container, but it's there.

Yeah. But again, something I admire about the game is that it almost never puts you in a no-win state that doesn't also kill you outright. So long as you have half a heart to your name, you can conceivably survive any encounter or room the game throws at you...except that one if you're not in a position to use hearts OR used that heart up somehow. I mean, yes, if you take the heart and waste it that's your fault, but the game doesn't usually punish things like that, at least not by making you walking-dead.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'd like Brimstone Spiders if they were more visually distinct from the other spiders. Like really, for the amount of time some rooms give you to recognize and dodge them, those drat things should be color-coded.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Oxxidation posted:

Between this and P.T. there's probably no secret too obscure for the miners to crack. Which I prefer, honestly. Maddeningly obtuse puzzles are one of those old-timey gaming trends I'm glad have fallen by the wayside, and in the case of The Lost it's still a significant challenge unlocking the drat thing.

So far as I know, P.T. wasn't solved by mining. I first heard about the solution here. It may have been confirmed by mining later, though.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Monstro's Lung and Spoon Bender don't combo as well as you'd hope. The shots do kinda home in a little, but it's not the Magic Missile Barrage I was hoping for.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Y'know, speaking of curses, I can think of more curses that would be interesting. You could even theme them after the Sins.

Curse of Gluttony - "So hungry!" You start at 1 Heart, no matter what your health was. If you have 1 or fewer red hearts, this can still trigger, but doesn't do anything.
Curse of Greed - "It'll cost you..." The floor's Treasure Room item will cost you 15 cents, like a shop item. Only appears on floors with Treasure Rooms.
Curse of Sloth - "Don't procrastinate!" Item pickups (bombs, hearts, keys) will disappear if you leave the room. Chests won't disappear.
Curse of Pride - "Bring 'em on!" More Champion monsters. Stacks with any other effects that might be causing this.
Curse of Lust - "You're a monster magnet!" Enemies will be pulled towards you.
Curse of Envy - "Time for a change of pace!" Certain enemies will be rerolled, as with the D10, and can become enemies from other floors.
Curse of Wrath - "Explosions!" All enemies have a chance to drop a Troll Bomb on death.

I don't know why we spoiler tag these things, but there you are.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Wow, getting Charcoal certainly turned that Head Trauma challenge right around. That one power-up turns the Head Trauma build from annoyingly weak to a room-clearing meat grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Interesting, if incredibly minor note: Those Mulligan-like lumpy kids who drop troll bombs when they die don't actually hurt you if you touch them.

Now I wonder how many other enemies I've been avoiding don't actually deal damage on contact.