Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's coming out at 6pm GMT, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Pre-ordered this AM, and I'm totally psyched.

That said, am I the only one who thinks the new pixel-art style actually seems like a significant downgrade to the original's look? I mean, I love pixel-art as much as the next dude, and I get that BoI was always meant to be a retro game experience, but the crisp clean artwork is kinda part of what makes BoI BoI.

Not sure if this applies to you, but the look of the game has improved massively since the first few screenshots. I thought it was a downgrade originally as well, but now I'm a convert. (The dynamic lighting looks absolutely gorgeous...)

SuicideSnowman posted:

I never got why people hated the Curse of Darkness so much. Do you really rely on the minimap that much? I rarely look at it other than to see where a secret room might be. All that curse means to me is that I might not be getting the secret room on that floor.

If you're using the whole list of adjacency rules, finding the secret rooms becomes a massive pain without either a minimap or an excellent memory. Also backtracking for soul hearts at the end of the level, or regular hearts for a blood bank. Also for remembering there's something important on the level (like an arcade) that you were going to go back to after the boss. Basically, for various reasons it makes grabbing a pencil and paper the "optimal" thing to do. For the sort of player who feels like they have to sit in the arcade playing three skull monte for five minutes because that's the "optimal" thing to do, this makes it a kick in the balls.

Also, it's really high variance - 95% of the time it has no real effect at all except to add tedium, and 5% of the time it massively fucks you over in a way that no other curse could. (I swear I've had it in Chest when I had a map...) Oh, and when it does gently caress you over it doesn't really do it in an interesting way - it just invalidates one of your earlier finds.

Probably the limited curse pool doesn't help much either - at 1/15 to get it in any given level, you'll be seeing it in about half your successful runs. It gets old fast.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It's not like Valve haven't had a long time to learn how to do this poo poo by now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

So, Curse of the Blind sure is a breather huh? Nothing major that can go wrong with that Curse!

Unless you get it in Depths 2 with your massively tricked out 10 heart Lazarus.

And you then proceed to pick up the Dead Cat right before fighting Mom.

I subsequently lost each and every one of my new ten lives in a darkened womb level. I lost six of them to a single large room, each time mostly clearing it and then getting teleported back to the entrance.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The goat head gives you a devil room on every single floor from there on out.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wugga posted:

So, has anyone encountered a bug where Isaac just drops bombs on his own all of a sudden? Sometimes I'm so immersed in a boss fight I don't even notice and it ends up killing me. Happens with both keyboard and gamepad. It's not too common, but annoying as poo poo.

Had a darkness challenge run go bad because of this. Might've been for the best though, had minimum fire rate and pitiful damage and everything took forever to kill.

This was happening to me as well. I rebound bombs from Shift to 'E' on the keyboard and unplugged my gamepad from the computer, and one of those two things fixed it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh hey, the blue flames aren't just cosmetic! You can bomb them for what I'm fairly sure is a 50% chance of a soul heart. Just unlocked ???, so that should be useful. I wonder if the purple flames give you evil hearts...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Got my second hardmode Satan win, on Samson this time. It was one of those runs where I didn't really get anything broken but my character was solid enough to somehow pull through anyway. I honestly expected to get wrecked but Samson was just too angry to die.

Got an ending I had already seen this time around so I guess now I need to keep beating up the heart a few more times. At least I got an unlock out of it.

You get the same ending every time you beat Satan, but you still unlock the next Mom's Heart ending in the sequence - it should be available for viewing under Stats in the main menu.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

P.s, it is way too easy to gently caress up a promising run by eating a bad pill or picking up something that SHOULD have some cool effect with your current tears setup but instead gimps the poo poo out of you.

P.p.s, cain sucks now.

Sup, fellow Cain buddy. :( Is it just me or has basically everything good about the character been removed, making him a slightly worse version of non-D6 Isaac? He no longer has his increased attack power or his increased speed. He no longer gets guaranteed good pills. He no longer gets guaranteed payouts on the fortune teller machines. And his health is still reduced. What does the Lucky Foot even do now?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I'm not sure the Dark Bum is that much better than the old Mitre, actually. (Not sure what the new one does.) Looking at Color Printer's pastebin, the Mitre turns half your heart drops into soul hearts. On average, half the red heart drops you lose will be full hearts, and the other half will be half hearts. So on average you get 1 soul heart for every 1.5 red hearts, to the Dark Bum's 1 soul heart per 1 red heart. Also, in the old Binding of Isaac you could have as many soul hearts as you wanted and Hard Mode with its limited heart drops didn't exist. So I think it's a fair comparison.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

OK, I really hate the Guillotine. It sounds OK - it turns your head into a tear-firing orbital. Then you actually try it, and you realise that having the source of your tears circle around your hitbox is a complete and utter headfuck for very little benefit. It makes it almost impossible to dodge Mom's Heart or Isaac. Also, when you're pressed against a wall, half the time your head is buried in the wall and therefore not firing. I could probably have beaten Isaac with Blue Baby if I hadn't picked that up. :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Also, the seeds don't give you every possible permutation of items etc - just the ones the random number generator could conceivably spit out.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The other useful thing to know about the Haunt is that he has a tell for his brimstone attack - if he opens and closes his mouth really quickly, run the hell away. Now the Haunt in the Solar System challenge, that's a run-ender. No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It feels to me like curse rooms are worth it on average if you have flight or a teleport, or if you have no soul hearts. Otherwise it feels like you lose health on average, but the possible upside of a Guppy item or a devil room is high enough that it might be worth it anyway if either your run is going to poo poo or you've got soul hearts to burn.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

And today was the day I found out the Sharp Plug only works on a completely uncharged item. In particular, as Eve with the 9-Volt Battery and a billion soul hearts, you can't use it as a source of red heart damage. The more you know! :v:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

So is there any way to get a level 4 meat boy beyond a ridiculous amount of luck?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

OK, so I was able to beat Suicide King in the end by getting Brimstone, Lil' Brimstone, and Guppy's Paw. How the gently caress are you meant to do it otherwise? I can see how beating Mom's Heart would be feasible, but Isaac? :stare:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

Interesting, if incredibly minor note: Those Mulligan-like lumpy kids who drop troll bombs when they die don't actually hurt you if you touch them.

Now I wonder how many other enemies I've been avoiding don't actually deal damage on contact.

Surprisingly, Satan's foot does no contact damage (assuming it doesn't hit you). This means you can safely get a pretty significant amount of damage in with orbitals.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Pi Soup posted:

Has anyone else had a bug where Isaac randomly drops bombs? It makes it rather difficult to play since bombs don't make any sound when they get dropped, leading to my death on multiple occasions.
I fixed it by unplugging my controller and using keyboard only.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Cybershell posted:

This literally loving happened last night while I was streaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HTM2DMEv4

With your setup the Guillotine was actually a good item, though? It's a huge orbital that blocks enemy shots and does ridiculous damage as a melee weapon. The reason it's normally unusably bad is that it totally fucks up your aim, but with Ludovico Technique that's not an issue.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Chocolate Milk is a good item.
It gets better when you get the Mutant Spider for a quad shot.
It gets better when you become Guppy, and it's a nice bonus if this involves getting both Guppy's Tail and the Skeleton Key.
It gets better when you get Death's touch.
It gets better when you get a metric fuckton of tear ups and damage ups.
Everything gets better with Chocolate Milk! :haw:

Yeah, so that was a run where I cleared the entire Dark Room just because I could, killed the Lamb in seconds, and still finished with full health. Now why do I never get runs like that with Blue Baby?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I can't seem to unlock "it lives", even with ten completions. I've alternated killing satan and mom's heart the last four or so times, and have unlocked every character but the lost. Am I doing something wrong?

It takes 11 completions in Rebirth, so everything's OK. Killing Satan still counts as a normal completion for unlocks.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wow, that's kind of lovely. I just entered a devil room after the Mom fight, then came back out. The devil room door then shifted to the south wall, so that I picked up the Negative immediately on leaving. Welp, hope I can beat the Lamb!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, I've beaten the Lamb before, I just wasn't confident of my ability to do it on that particular Eve run since I'd picked up Tiny Planet earlier. I ended up managing it after having to clear the entire dark room, then beating Mega Satan for the first time to boot. Even though Three Dollar Bill decided to give me the vanishing tears effect from Apoptosis Proptosis for the entire fight. So I may have misjudged that slightly. :)

(It turns out that Tiny Planet is totally obscene if you have a source of homing, and I picked up Sacred Heart.)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 20, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

I do not understand how game devs think they can just ignore colorblindness. It was fine in base Isaac when everything was bright and cartoony but I can't tell what's going on half the loving time.

John Lee posted:

Not trying to be a dick here, but you might have some form of mild colorblindness; the orange is quite different from the green, and very obvious.
You don't say.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

So it turns out that if you have Mom's Knife and the Gnawed Leaf, the Lamb will kill himself on you before he even enters his second phase. And that's one run closer to never having to play ??? again! :) (I still feel I earned that one, though - the Gnawed Leaf only showed from to a key beggar in a secret room towards the end of the Dark Room...)

Genocyber posted:

Pin can also do this. Not too big of an issue for most characters, but the Lost...
I have literally never had this happen to me. I think you're guaranteed to be safe as long as you hug the edges of the room.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

I think the Eden Tokens could have been done better since its so easy to get a start that there is no point continuing on. Due to randomness Eden can be one of the characters that you will want to reload with the most unless you are hella determined to win no matter what. Which can be fun of course but if I start with 1 heart and 1 speed my will to continue is not strong. Plus if you are playing a lot and going for unlocks like me and the other crazy people in this thread then you'll essentially have an unlimited amount of them.

I think the point behind the token system is that if you're playing normally, you'll be able to afford to throw away the truly poo poo-tastic starts but not to just hold down the 'R' key until you start with Pyromania and IPECAC. It seems to be working well to me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wow. So I had a really good Samson run going - Quad Shot, Proptosis, and a bunch of range and damage ups. I hit the boss rush, and saw an item I'd never seen before, so obviously I grabbed it. It was IPECAC. I think from that point on in the run, the only thing that ever damaged me was my own tears (which admittedly they did on a regular basis). The Lamb died in four shots after I cleared out the entire Dark Room because I could.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Is there any item beside the goat head that will cause angel/Devil rooms to spawn on consecutive floors? This has happened to me on a number of runs now- getting a special room on basement II as well as Caves I, and so on.

If you use the Book of Belial you're guaranteed a devil or angel room on that floor.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

So, uh, my first Family Man run is turning out to be a good one I guess? Invalidating the challenge in three separate ways is pretty good. (Now watch me gently caress it up somehow.)

e: Nope, Chaos Carded Isaac with three and a half hearts left! (Because on top of everything else I had Placenta, which basically ensured I couldn't die outside boss fights.)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 26, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

GeneX posted:

I was so happy to find brimstone in the demo man challenge; I could kill things easily, you know?

Dr. Fetus overrides Brimstone. gently caress. Guess I'll have to hope for a dice room, because holy poo poo does it suck to have bombs blow up in your face without even killing many enemies.

For Demo Man, all you really need is one or two damage ups and/or Mr. Mega. The damage from Dr. Fetus starts out mediocre, but scales really well. High damage orbitals like the cube of meat are very useful too. Barring really unfortunate room layouts you should never really need to blow up bombs right next to yourself.

Also, you get infinite bombs. (Duh.) That means free access to every secret and super secret room, potential soul hearts from every tinted rock and blue fire, potential coins from every pot and shopkeeper, potential pills from every mushroom, and potential tarot cards or evil hearts from every skull. Oh, and probably the occasional trapdoor to a free item or black market from normal rocks. And this is all assuming you don't get the lucky rock, which essentially gives you infinite money. It helps if you've upgraded the shop a few times so you can take advantage of the extra money.

Oh, and you should drop the Match Stick instantly - it just gives you more bombs, which are the worst possible drop for you for obvious reasons.

Honestly I found Demo Man one of the easier challenges, even without finding anything particularly broken. I'd consider it far more pleasant than Beans, Solar System, Head Trauma, Cat Got Your Tongue, Suicide King, Family Man or The Tank, and that's just off the top of my head.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Leyburn posted:

Got to Satan last night for the first time and beat him. It was really lucky run. I had loads of red hearts and then picked up Guppy's Paw, so I had a crazy amount of health on tap.

I guess I should start doing runs with characters other than Isaac now?

You should definitely do some runs with ??? before you go back to Isaac. One of his unlocks gives Isaac a new starting item that makes him into one of the best characters in the game.

You should also do some runs with characters other than ???, since they're generally easier to play with than base Isaac and not horribly controller-throwingly frustrating like ???.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jibo posted:

Pick up the item you want before saving and quitting or entering the devil room. Don't stand in the middle of the room. These are two things that are easier to do than not do. I'd much rather them focus energy on tweaking rooms with required damage or that are literally unpassable with certain loadouts.

Let's be realistic here: this is not a change that's going to involve weeks of careful testing and debugging. They can do both.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Is there any way to increase joystick sensitivity in this game? Because using an Xbox 360 controller, I'm pushing fully down+left on the stick, but Isaac moves significantly slower than he does when I press down+left on the keyboard. I'd settle for a way to increase it outside the game, frankly - the only controller options I can find in Windows 7 are a useless turd of an automatic calibration tool.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Well that was disappointing. I submitted my refund request for whatever that's worth. If they weren't going to add anything of value in the process of adding mod support, it would have been nice if they'd at least refrained from actively making GBS threads on the game.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Holy crap, they actually paid $4000 for the soundtrack. That's... simultaneously really high and really low. Really high because it's obviously money out of their own pockets, and really low because it's a very good soundtrack that I would have expected to cost far more as a professional commission.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Dias posted:

Monstro has a stupid easy pattern to make up for it, Rag Man spawns very spastic spiders and shoots homing bullets at you. He really should have less health, a base damage Isaac can't kill his head before spawns if he takes even a half second to start shooting it.
The trick is that shooting his head damages both Rag Man and the as-yet-unspawned spider, so if you always just focus on the head as soon as he starts you'll normally get the spider within a couple of shots of death even if you're on base damage. I'd consider Rag Man easier than (say) Gurglings or Dingle, while still being an interesting fight unlike Monstro.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Wow, those gray marks are hard to spot. I couldn't even see them until I tilted my monitor, and I have this thing calibrated pretty well.
I think you might need to recalibrate it (unless it has really bad viewing angles). To me they look easily missable if you forget to check, but easy to see when you remember. God only knows what curse of darkness will do to it, though.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think a soul heart every floor is fine too - it feels less powerful than Gimpy, for example, since you can't abuse blood donation machines and it doesn't give you a whole bunch of soul hearts in the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I really don't think we should take the fact that it was shown at PAX to mean it's almost done. The AG&D update for Enter the Gungeon got shown off at Pax too, and that took almost a year to come out. And the Antibirth team probably haven't been working on it for that long - they only really went quiet at the start of this year. And Nicalis haven't exactly been stellar at releasing things on time in the past. I think we'll get it in mid-to-late 2019.