Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

dis astranagant posted:

Why do runners go out of their way to not pick up soul hearts til the end of the floor?

It also lets you have a buffer if you go into heart debt on a devil deal. If you go for a two heart deal when you only have one heart you can pick those up afterwards so you won't die instantly if you get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Sin hearts explode and do damage to the entire room when they are expended. At least I think those are sin hearts. The black ones.

I got an item called (I think) the charger, with the description (charge your soul). It had no item charge, apparently did nothing when I hit space, and couldn't be charged by the batteries that are dropped. I have no idea what this thing was supposed to do. I replaced it with a spider butt eventually and then forgot to use it during the mom fight.

Yeah, I can confirm this the black hearts hurt all enemies when they take their last hit. Just got a mom kill. If you get enough fly items you get an achievement called Lord of the Flies and it gives you flight. It's either 4 flies total or three special flies. I'm not sure which. Also, the revenge fly item owns. If you take damage the fly continuously attacks all of the enemies in the room until they're all dead.

Some of the new pill effects I found were one called Lemon Party which is like a full room Lemon Mishap, and one called "I'm a wizard" or something that made me shoot two diagonal shots instead of my regular straight ahead shots for a few rooms.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 4, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The brimstone wall spiders in the Womb are perhaps the worst new enemy in the game.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Loot posted:

I kept having my shield from that one rune activate just so I can take on a room full of them. They're pretty nasty.

It may just be me, but I swear the timing of their attacks are so awkward. It's bad enough I run into a room and they suddenly blast me, but when I try to take them out, they just go back and forth awkwardly and then I run into another of their attacks.

It would also help if they had something that made them stand out a lot more from the other spiders because their attack comes out so fast and it can be hard to tell what spider type they are at a first glance.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
There is some kinda nonsense going on in Ognos's stream over on twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/ognos
He had an Eve run where he picked up a knife and then went into one of those item reshuffle super secret rooms. He know has these semi homing fire shots that just go everywhere.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

PostNouveau posted:

Hahaha, I just picked up a gimp mask. What the gently caress

I'm not sure, but I think that might have a chance to drop soul hearts when you take damage. I got one on my last run and something was definitely dropping soul hearts. I was doing the Soy Milk/Small Planet challenge and I just don't know about the Soy Milk. It just seems so weak. I got guppy mode going and it was hilarious to see a solid line of flies attacking bosses, but even the flies did so little damage. I tried the boss rush room and that run and I think I almost got to the end but I died, and the second set of horseman. Fortunately, I had 9 lives so I was still able to complete the challenge.

Also, that demon looking boss with the curving brimstone lasers is a huge pain in the rear end.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Does anyone know what Gimpy does? The description is "sweet suffering" but it doesn't seem to have any activation effect when taking damage etc.

This is just a guess, but PostNouveau and I started getting random Soul Heart drops after we took damage after picking it up, but I don't know the exact rate.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Loot posted:

Yeah the hearts you can get in Boss Rush are something else, that's for sure.

I had the demon baby the first time I beat the boss rush outside of a challenge. There were almost 25 of the suckers once I was done not even counting any of the ones I picked up during the fight.

Slow roller is an amazing challenge. I got brimstone on the first devil deal and a guppy's head not too long after. One Brimstone shot could clear out the whole room and one shot every boss I encountered, and the flies could each take out like 3 enemies before dieing.

Then on my first Azazael run I got the Ludivico technique on the first treasure room, and the Demon baby on the first devil deal. That run was almost as broken.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Currently playing through this absolutely insane seed with judas
Q469
KQ02

Starts off pretty fun with rubber cement and strong damage. Then on the depths I got a devil deal for the scythe up grade. There's also a small planet which you can take or leave a bit later. Then I got to the boss rush room and saw that one of the items was Polyphemus. :getin: The small planet makes it unwieldy at times but then in the Womb there's a chest that gives Tammy's Head which just creates this huge black mass of scythes that instantly annihilates anything it touches that stays on screen long enough for you to move and cut through the larger rooms before they go away.

I think you can get guppy mode as well, but I skipped a Tail deal early on.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 7, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Had a great Maggie run this morning. First item was Money=Power and I got an arcade on the second floor. Soon after I got that item that makes your tears powerful but really short ranged and the pony boss and that was able to carry me for a while. Then it started to get pretty insane as I got Toothpicks, Mutant Spider, and 3 guppy items and really started to shred things (the left hand is pretty nice.) Boss rush item was infestation 2 so I had this sea of flies and spiders that would jump out and melt bosses health. I think I ended the run with about 90 coins so the damage was completely nuts.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 7, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ignite Memories posted:

P.p.s, cain sucks now.
Cain is really good if you get Guppy's Tail early on.

Also, I'm kinda curious. Do those enemies who are attached to the wall in the Womb and later levels break off or do anything threatening if you leave them alive for too long? From what I've seen from them they seem pretty harmless.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell does this even do? It doesn't have any effect I can see.

Assuming it works the same as the original game (which is in line with what I've seen so far) it has a chance to swap a pick up with a chest or gold chest. Since Cain has maxed luck he gets more from chests and is more likely to get keys to take advantage of the increased gold chest drops.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

kalonZombie posted:

Just did the boss rush. Playing as Azazel and had Mom's Knife. Went in with almost two full rows of explosive hearts. Came out with one and my single heart container.

Yeah, didn't last too long in Utero after that.

It seems like Mom's Knife doesn't have too many things it synergizes with. I had a brimstone/mom's knife run, and the flurry of knives didn't do that much damage. It feels like most of the damage from the knife comes from when you manage to hit it at the edge of its range so it hits multiple times. With Brim/Knife, each knife travels so fast that it's only going to hit once and do minimal damage.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Is it just a full heart when you're playing as Eve? I picked it up on Isaac during a run and it only triggered at half a heart on him.

I noticed the same thing on a Samson run. I agree that it might only trigger on a full heart for Eve.

Although, speaking of Samson, if you get the holy mantle, do the blocked hits increased Samson's Bloody Lust damage boost? I got that on a recent run, but I also had Brimstone and some other damage upgrades, so it was hard to tell.

Also I love how Tammy's Head has gone from being one of the most mediocre items to one of the best with the rebirth changes.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Just beat the Darkness Falls challenge. The run was looking pretty doomed when I entered the Womb until a 2 key room in the Womb 2 gave me Guppy's Paw and Dead Cat. This was all I needed for Guppy mode, and then the game decided to make the run obscene by dropping Cancer and giving me Cricket Head from a gold chest. Satan was destroyed in about 30 seconds.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One advantage of doing that God awful beans challenge is that I learned that while the Haunt is normally a huge main in the rear end, bombs take him out really easily. You can just lay them along the upper wall and duck down before he charges.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Oh gently caress you game. I was doing the cursed challenge and feeling pretty good going into the last floor since the boss drop on Depths one was <3 so I had full health with decent enough damage. Necropolis-Curse of the Loss.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I had a run where Little Chad ended up really helping. I was playing as Samson and didn't havy really specatcular items aside from the powerful short range tear item (popo whatever its called). Fortunately I had a bunch of health pick ups, one of the items that makes it so you only take half a heart in the womb onwards and overall solid stats. I would just face tank everything to get good damage and then rely on health pickups to maintain everything.

It wasn't as overpowering a synergy as some of the other item combos, but it was still very nice. I don't think Little Chad is one of the worst items in the game anymore since it really helps Samson and Devil Bum set ups.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 15, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I was working on finishing the dark room with Maggy. I got really mad when I found out that Judas's shadow changes who get credit for beating the dark room, but on the next Maggy run I got Proptosis, Magic Mushroon, the skinny Odd Mushroom along with some damage ups. In the Dark Room, I got Polyphemus and from there was able to easily get my revenge.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Cuntpunch posted:

loving Family Man is such a stupid challenge.

In fact a lot of the odds-and-ends challenges(Family Man, Cat..., Solar System, Head Trauma) are more about overcoming tedium than adding actual difficulty. Cursed at least means you need to plan routes and play safe. Tank requires a certain adapting of playstyle.

But Family Man(which hides the final challenge)? gently caress it. Unless you get good familiar drops from bosses/devil deals - it's just an exercise in frustration.

Also a fair warning about it: You can *seriously* gently caress yourself up if in Family Man(and maybe in general) if you:
1. Have a bunch of familiars.
2. Pick up Isaac's Head
3. Pick up more familiars
4. Drop/Swap Isaac's Head

It causes loss and reshuffling of familiars.

I was really mad when I found out that Mom's Knife did absolutely nothing in the Family Man challenge. I would have guessed it would have at least given me a knife that I could wave around like the sacrificial dagger.

Especially since I picked it up over Dark Bum.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Which patch was it that makes it so that you auto fire your Brimstone whenever you enter a room before enemies can be damaged? It's such a stupid change that serves no purpose aside from being a pain in the rear end.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dodecalypse posted:

I hate this game

combo is Proptosis + Ludovico

Proptosis always boosts damage even when the tear is far away. I think the min damage is still +30% what it would be without it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This dude just had insane luck throughout a 7 Character Speedrun to the Dark Room and finished in 1:38:54, where the old record was 2:17:31: http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl

Jesus, I heard he had gotten a new world record earlier today but I had no idea it was this nuts.I think Problems now holds most of the world records in the longer Rebirth runs. I think he also has the 7 characters to the chest run which is about 1:55 or so.

Although, I guess it kind of makes since that the Dark Room runs would be shorter because there are a lot of ways to skip Womb 2 that don't work for Chest runs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Codiekitty posted:

So in my quest to unlock the Polaroid, I thought I'd beat Isaac with five different characters. So far I've beaten him with Isaac, Samson, Eden, and Cain. But either I'm having terrible luck with Eve or I just suck with her (or "him", if you want to get technical). I got to the Cathedral with her once, didn't last long. Then I had a run get ruined by the Ludovico.

And the Cursed Eye can go gently caress itself, too.

My first win with the lost actually got started with a Cursed Eye. I think one of the patches changed it from 4 shots when charged to 6 because it's a pretty good damage buff. I got 20/20 on the next floor and those two items cleaned house for the next few floors,

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Beat the boss rush with the Lost on hard today. I got teleported to a Knife/Mom's Knife devil deal on the first floor and then got Spoon Bender from one of those item pedestals that requires flight to reach. Pentagram and Abaddon from the floor 2 devil deal and eventually got Brimstone on the later floors. Still need to beat the Chest/Dark Room on hard. After the boss rush I started playing like garbage and lost a couple lives because the knife curved in a way I wasn't prepared for a couple times. The two earlier deaths I got from stupidly running into blood donation machines didn't help either.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Codiekitty posted:

gently caress, I wish I'd known that last knight. I was playing as Azazal and bought the knife, which caused Azazel to stop firing mini-Brimstones. Then I was offered classic Brimstone, but passed it up because I thought it wouldn't do anything.

I actually like regular Brimstone a lot more than Brim+Knives. The extra knives travel too fast to deal that much damage. Unfortunately, the last couple times I've found Brimstone where after I had already picked up the knife.

Do shot speed downs affect the speed of the knife? If so it would be really helpful to make the knife hover over the enemy and do more damage.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

something posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a glorious synergy, but triple shot + fetus in a jar + ipecac = a triple explosion that gets set off immediately around me like kamikaze, and it isn't hurting me even though I don't have pyromaniac.

Edit: just got money = power on top of that (I have 99 coins due to lucky rock). Run is won.

Ipecac works extremely well with anything that multiplies your damage. Dr. Fetus just happens to shoot bombs that do triple your damage so each bomb is doing at least 120 damage a pop.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The cursed eye is pretty nice if you're playing as the lost.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SnoruntPyro posted:

On a side note, I loving unlocked Godhead. I'm free! I'm free!

I'm one run away from unlocking it and I'm vary much looking forward to never touching the lost or hardmode again. First item room was holy mantle and then I got a knife on the second floor devil deal after what was a surprisingly stressful red double monstro fight. Dead Cat in Womb one basically ensured that I was going to make it to the end, and a Resistance Rune in the Cathedral made Blue Baby a non factor.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One change I wish they would make to the lost would be to take all of the items that are worthless to him out of his pool.It makes you realize how many items there are that require you to take damage to activate when you're resetting to get a good start for the lost.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
gently caress

I accidentally took the polaroid instead of the negative on a lost run to the dark room that was almost certainly going to succeed. I had holy mantle, dead cat, a bunch of damage ups and chocolate milk. Then I go into the devil deal after the mom fight and it's Brimstone, Abaddon, and my third guppy piece in a red chest :suicide:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Been a long time since I played this game (The Lost really killed my enthusiasm), start playing again and right out the gate I get an unwinnable situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOpSaO3U5Mo

Oh well. At least I've already cut the items I was missing in half. And all but maybe one were in one run, that was really nice. Are SMB and Bandage Girl still as much of a pain to get? I gave up after a while when I was playing before.

You can get out of that room with the dead cat you just have to be a bit careful of how you do it. The trick is to make sure that it's the spikes inside the curse room that kill you that way you can spawn outside of it. If you rush through you'll leave the curse room and spawn back in it once the outside spikes kill you. Just slowly nudge up against them until you get hit.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

omeg posted:

E: I hate you Satan (I have Monstro's Lung and 2/3 Guppy).

It looks like you had the Goat Head so you could have picked one up and then exited and reentered and the other two would turn to soul heart deals.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Gibbo posted:

As a first floor item it gives you a significant damage boost and a limited form of piercing that combos well will pretty much anything that follows. Don't see how anyone would consider that an item not good for speed.

I can see where he's coming from. It's a bit more difficult to use than regular tears and while it's a damage up against most things, there are some instances where it can slow you down like against splitting enemies, enemies who can become invincible, or big rooms with lots of enemies that are either split up or aren't one shot by the piercing effect.

Although to be honest, I'm a bit more surprised at how willing Problems is to pass up flight.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Poonerman posted:

Accidentally went to Sheol over Cathedral on a Guppy run.

:shepicide:

I accidentally picked the Polaroid over the Negative when I only needed to beat the dark room with the lost on a 9 lives/Holy Mantle/Brim/Guppy run.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Are there any synergies that make Eve's Mascara not the worst item ever?

It's pretty nice with the knife.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

notoriousman posted:

Slafety Scissors look cool and all, but am I the only one mortified by the existence of troll bombs that explode into smaller troll bombs? :stonk:

If I had to guess Troll Bombs won't do that normally. There's probably some new item that gives the Cricket's Body effect to bombs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Goodness I just beat Blue Baby after the most intense fight with him I've ever had. I was playing through with Samson and picked up MissingNo fairly early on. Most of the set ups weren't too bad until I got to the chest (my favorite being what seemed to be a Polyphemus+Eve's eyeshadow build that would have been terrible but it had Infestation 2 and Rotten baby so it was amazing instead). In the chest I discover that I have Tiny Planet + Spoonbender and would later discover that I had Cursed Eye. Fortunately, one of the items in the chest was Techology 2 which was a huge pickup since otherwise the build would have been completely unusable. I tried to make progress but kept getting tapped and warped, eventually managing to get warped right by the boss room with 2 hearts left. I took a really stupid hit from a 2 chub room because I had bad speed so I had one heart going into the fight.

Somehow I managed to slowly whittle blue baby down while dodging his shots with my bad speed and not confusing his homing ones with my purple homing ones. I think one of the items might have been the Soul and I also had the Big Fan orbital and those two items probably saved me multiple times over in that fight,

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I think a Mom transformation could be cool. Could change your tears into a Mom foot stomp. Have it be like a High Priestess card you control like epic fetus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

asterioth posted:

http://i.imgur.com/AQcf6Tc.png

what the poo poo is this transformation, picked up the pact and now im black cthulu
It's gotta be related to devil deals somehow. I got it after picking up the mark. I think Whore of Babylon factors into it too.