Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Soul Glo posted:

It's only going to be harder.

:getin:

at least the difficulty won't be from wrestling with flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vargs posted:

When I first bought BoI, I was on a poo poo computer that went into a very smooth and playable slomo whenever things got hectic. Flash made the game significantly easier.

unfortunately, my flash lag wasn't exactly kind to me and at times it made trying to play the game akin to repeatedly ramming my foot into the wall

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait why are people uninstalling Wrath of the Lamb? Like, for ceremony, or for some specific Steam-based reason that I don't know about?

rebirth is legit just the first game but better in every single way so if you're not aiming for all the achievements still or something like that then there's no reason to have it installed

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of the reason it's pixelated now is because ed didn't like the old artstyle, which i can sympathize with. the new look helps to distance it from the whole 'newgrounds' aesthetic.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i usually tend to enjoy curse of the labyrinth and hate curse of darkness. even though they both extend the time you spend on a floor at least labyrinth is giving you more gameplay instead of just being aggravating and making me want to play less.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Clever Spambot posted:

I'm really sick of pixel retro art styles but boy does it look way loving better than the newgrounds artstyle.

yeah, i generally only like pixel stuff if it's done well and rebirth definitely fits the bill and is also up against the really generic newgrounds flash style which isn't much of a contest

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would have preferred a cubist style, to be honest

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a miserable pile of poop

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on a mildly unrelated note that's not meant to take a side in anything, don't starve has a pretty cool 2d art style

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the maps are much more complex so i doubt that secret rooms are going to be as braindead easy to find as they were before

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zeratanis posted:

Bob's Rotten Brain is the stupidest god drat thing ever. Oh yes, I'd love something that pops up and instantly blows me up when I'm near something. :tizzy:

at this point i just want to ignore it because more often than not you're going to get hit by the blast because there's really no controlling it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

explosive thoughts isn't entirely horrible but sometimes you don't have the luxury of hurling it off at some far-off enemy or in an unrelated direction when some creatures are more or less bumrushing you

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you have over 40 deaths in a row then the issue might not be the items

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Read posted:

I'm not sure how they thought it made sense to nerf Cain but add Azazel into the game.

it was less about nerfing cain and more about making the phd not useless because all it did was give a single effect that the lucky foot gave and that thing even came w/ a lot of other poo poo

also who cares

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Ah, yes, the PHD that allows you to get R U A Wizard. :psyduck:

it's been posted like 10 times but that wears off after a little bit so it's not like it's some run-ending poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

The light rays don't hit the corners as far as I can tell.

yeah, it ignored the top right and bottom left corners as far as i could tell. basically all i figured was run the way the lasers are going and hug the corner. i was a tad bit overpowered in that fight but i also never got hit by the lasers so there's that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a fair bit easier to get some really early wins compared to the first game but once it starts progressing you're going to get dunked hard if you don't bring your best. and yeah, hard mode also exists to layer on top of that all as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Motherfucker posted:

yes that frown he gets while he is in the process of smacking you in the face is a good tell. *blows bubbles from pipe*

it happens before it does any dashes, is distinct from every other distinct face that it makes (there's three), and if you start moving to the side the second you see it you'll never get hit. hope this helps out any people unable to connect 2 and 2 together out there

(by the way it's less a frown and more puffing out it's cheeks)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if the demon bum was changed to take two hearts for every soul heart it would still be really good without being 'you're never going to run out of health ever'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

Or the unfair advantages over the game's own difficulty curve??? I dunno maybe I'm just one of those weirdos who hates when a difficult game gets instantly trivialized.

sometimes i forget that there's people who enjoy using the boring one hit kill ultimate item or whatever in games and it weirds me out when i remember

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

Beans! is the worst loving thing and I'm glad I never have to touch it again.

every challenge that restricts your ability to shoot makes me want to die a little every time i attempt one. except maybe solar system which is kinda okay

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jibo posted:

I don't think this is necessarily the case anymore. I've gotten angel rooms after making devil deals. I'm assuming it has something to do with the whole "faith" stat.

yeah, i'm assuming that taking a devil deal usually gives you a shitload of sin, enough to effectively lock out angel rooms due to some weird interaction between the two that no one understands yet. i've definitely gotten both rooms in a run and taken advantage of both but i might have had some crazy luck with balancing myself out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eve is a big case of either drought or downpour because on average she'll be fairly generic but at times she can trash everything if things work out in your favor

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zoness posted:

But I mean Judas exists to be playable as a more consistent eve right? I mean, at least in the glass cannon department. Eve technically has more gimmicks than just a glass cannon though, which is why they're separate characters etc.

judas is technically more reliable but the time you can spend being powerful is also more strictly limited. but yeah, they're distinct enough. the different stats always help, too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

Why do people keep comparing the Dark Bum to damage boosters like Mom's Knife or Brimstone and not other soul heart generators? You know, like the Book of Revelations, which gives one soul heart per 6 charges.

also on top of that those items usually need other things to combo with them to make them really goddamn good instead of just alright and the dark bum is super amazing just by itself and only costs one heart

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so, i just trashed the suicide king challenge and it was pretty much all due to the fact that i got a round worm trinket in the first couple of rooms. sweet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

I am confused on whether the devil bum talk is about projected changes for the devil bum or if it actually did get changed but a downside to it is nice either way.

it got changed so it now requires like 1 and a half or 2 hearts. i'm guessing just two separate heart drops, maybe.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rocketlex posted:

The more I play Eve the more I like her. Sell all your hearts to the Devil -> Become Danger Mario -> Destroy everything.

she really does reward playing well, because if you're able to dodge fairly well you can safely sell every bit of yourself for cool demonic poo poo and also turn into a badass demon on top of that which lets you poo poo out damage

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Testekill posted:

So I got up to Isaac (barely beat him) thanks to the I AM ERROR room. Thing is, I haven't even unlocked It Lives yet so that shouldn't be possible.

i killed isaac a couple of times before i even got It Lives

it happens and is an accepted thing due to how the portals after beating the heart work

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you get leo and walk into the side of the truck parked by the dock where the s.s. isaac floats for 5 minutes then the lost pops out and you gotta use the shears to 'catch' it

you have the shears with you, right

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people out there have the skill, but they just need the rng to cooperate. it's entirely possible.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

Bets on if the speedrunning community is going to be masochistic enough to include The Lost runs for their standard format.

that would go against the speedrunner's creed of taking damage to save time, so i want to say 'no' for the sake of hilarity

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mom's voice had a much more 'natural' feel to it in the old game and the times when she sang out isaac's name actually added a fair bit of character to it because it came off like someone who's off their rocker calling out to someone who they're going to stab the second they turn the corner or something. newer voice isn't as good, but i usually don't pay much attention to those fights anymore so i guess it's a moot point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not an item, you just have a blindfold on. which is why it's bad to reroll your items, because it might leave you with no way to attack.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Alteisen posted:

Just did a power swap and I don't know what the gently caress I got.

I know one of them was Brimstone but I couldn't fire it normally, instead I'd create little brimstone portals that would then fire, I could have like 7 or 8 in any given room just blasting poo poo, it also changed colors every room, one of them was pink and would veer to hit things, it was pretty funky.

you got the antigravity tears powerup and the three dollar bill, which changes to a random shot effect every room

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NoUU posted:

Patch is coming Monday or Tuesday to fix that.

Does anyone have tips on the Suicide King challenge? I can't do it. :qq:

get lucky with a round worm trinket in like your second room and never have to worry about your shots hitting you again because they're too busy hurling themselves into other random poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think said cheesing is supposed to also include 'if you get this not that uncommon item then you can be immortal as the character that's supposed to die in one hit'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

whatever any dlc ideas are, i'd actually be really hype for any that come out. rebirth isn't a bloated piece of poo poo so it'll actually be able to handle anything tacked onto it unlike the first game which wouldn't have been able to handle anything past wrath of the lamb.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd really be genuinely surprised if they wouldn't want to do anything later on, because the market's there and there's probably a million ideas that could get thrown into it while still keeping the theme intact once they've had time to work out what exactly they want to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like you might be biased in some way or another if all you can say is 'LOL WHY ARE YOU SO UPSET ABOUT A VIDEOGAME' when all people said is 'it's pretty stupid that a single item can unintentionally make you actually unable to die as a character whose whole gimmick is dying easily'