Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Bombs are pretty much the easiest way to win the game every playthrough (as long as you get 99 bombs :D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just got home from work and on the 2nd run. Thought this was cool

You can see the effects of the Toothpicks even behind the mask!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Anyone else having a glitch where if you are shooting when you move into another room, your character just wont stop moving in that direction. Keeps making my keyboard not work :/

Also made me lose an awesome run where I was 1 shotting everything in Depths. But I had just gotten that Item that makes your Tears orbit which really sucks.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Mom's Heart down :D

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

The new items are so awesome!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

So glad Red Chests are actually worth it in this game. What other things are people finding that they use now and didn't before??

Also, what are you guys using to record gameplay?

edit: So jealous of all you new people. Enjoy the only game that has held my attention over multiple years!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

technology and spoon bender as OP as promised, thank you based mcmillan

Also lol at how bullet hell the bosses now

The boss fights are really so much better now mechanically. Before Mom through her Heart were 100% easy wins. Now though...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Don't like that there's a new enemy type that you only know is there if you can hear it. This was never a factor in previous in the original or wrath as far as I can tell.

If you are talking about the hand, there is a shadow on the ground.

e: The new devil room % are awesome btw. 2nd win of the day

Boomerang is OP

notes from that game

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 5, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Lol @ anyone playing with the smooth filter on.

content wise, this is the first time I have played it with a controller since my keyboard has been having trouble with it. Really loving the change, only trouble I have is with charging shots and changing direction. You can't change >90 degrees without shooting the shot.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

LibbyM posted:

If someone enters the room with hearing, they are warned immediately by a laughing sound effect, and are prepared to look for it.

So you lose a TINY advantage because you turn the sound off. That is true for literally any game, sound lets you hear things that are important.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

So whats up with these Dice rooms? I went through one and suddenly I was overflowing with 10+ items I did not have before including 3 familiars.

Azazel is just lol

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

If you beat boss rush with Eden you get.

a spacebar item called undenified, it takes 6 rooms to recharge and transports you to the error rooms

This is actually just whenever you bomb it open on the floor. Its happened to me a couple times in random rooms.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

You can if you bind the shot to one of the thumbsticks, but the problem there is sometimes you'll be holding it one way and it'll release the other.

Speaking of charged shots, I finally got my first ever projectile-altering item that wasn't Technology! It was Monstro's Lung and then I died from getting stuck on a rock and had to restart. gently caress you, Rebirth.

That is what I am talking about. I have the shot bound to the thumbstick, but you cannot move it 180 without rotating or it will shoot out the wrong side. You have to rotate then stick all the way around.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Damo posted:

I don't think I could ever play this game on anything but my keyboard, but I'm really jealous of the fine movespeed control you get with analog sticks.

So play it on a controller then if you are jealous. I did not think it would be as good after playing all of the first game and expac with keyboard. Game owns on a controller.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Damo posted:

Well my point was that I can't really play on a controller because I like the way it plays/feels on a keyboard much better in general, even without the analog movement. Plus I have hundreds of hours of experience using the keyboard and it would be hard as hell to adapt.

Overall it's not a big deal, I'm not mad at video games or something. Even with the less move speed control you get on the keyboard, I still think playing on a keyboard is better and more precise overall and I'm happy with it. I'm just surprised they didn't make a walk/run toggle or something similar to compensate for the lack of analog sticks. Usually you don't see a game giving one specific control method a clear gameplay ability advantage, so I was just a little surprised.

Whatever, like I said, not a huge deal. Honestly I don't even really think a walk/run keyboard toggle would even be helpful anyway. So the controller gets a little bonus ability and that's fine. I was just thinking out loud about it all.

This game owns so loving hard. GOTY for me already, easily. I could play this game forever and probably will. Mad kudos to Edmund and team. I feel like this game was made specifically for me.

I had hundreds of hours on keyboard as well. Took 1 playthrough to get used to the controller.

Also, wtf is happening in this game. I don't even know anymore.

Infinite Flies 1 shotting every boss.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Zeron posted:

Oh god a magnetic tears item that affects enemies, that got me killed really fast.

Yep, never picking that one up again.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Substandard posted:

I am truly awful at this game. I've played a total of like 10 hours (between the old and new verisons) and I've made it to the depths maybe 4-5 times.

I tend to get destroyed by Frowning Gapers and Hosts. One day I think it's all going to click, but I'm right there with Turtlicious and his -41 kill streak. I'll have to check mine when I get home from work.

Should I just be picking up / trying everything? Should I be looking every potential item / card / etc. up on the wiki? There doesn't really appear to be any other way to know what stuff does.

I'm going to video some runs by me so you noobs can see how a decent amateur plays and can win.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

SuicideSnowman posted:

Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus trivialized the last game. I don't really see an issue with super powerful but rare items. If it's so powerful just make it extremely rare.

But then you still know that somewhere out there someone is still using it right now. And doesn't that just make you hate life?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Azazel is terrible, charged shots are terrible, brimstone is terrible.

He sure is terrible, being the most reliable way to Win streak right now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

President Ark posted:

It's not on the first floor, it's on like two or three.

I played through to the 5th. No Tammy's Head :( (unless it was in the Locked Treasure room on the 2nd floor for which there was no key)

Does anyone have an Azazel run with Tammy's Head actually?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Runcible Spoon posted:

So two things. First, does defeating Mega Satan count as a Chest clear for purposes of unlocks, because I have the most unholy bonkers build here.

Second, I'm saving that Azazel seed for your pleasure. By the end of the Chest, I was firing orbiting slowing homing quad-beam Tammy's Head brimstone bursts, with BFF Smart Fly, Distant Admiration, a Bandage Ball, Trinity Shield, and a Dark Bum. I am eagerly awaiting a boss fight with childlike glee.

EDIT: Just in case the screenshot breaks for whatever reason, it's:
B3DA
X77S

Is this on PC?

And also, does a curse room do dmg to your soul/sin hearts or only regular hearts?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Runcible Spoon posted:

So two things. First, does defeating Mega Satan count as a Chest clear for purposes of unlocks, because I have the most unholy bonkers build here.

Second, I'm saving that Azazel seed for your pleasure. By the end of the Chest, I was firing orbiting slowing homing quad-beam Tammy's Head brimstone bursts, with BFF Smart Fly, Distant Admiration, a Bandage Ball, Trinity Shield, and a Dark Bum. I am eagerly awaiting a boss fight with childlike glee.

EDIT: Just in case the screenshot breaks for whatever reason, it's:
B3DA
X77S

I don't know how you got the items you said you did, but I did not get any of them with that seed. (And yes I have them unlocked)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Is there anyway to get a copy of steam/rebirth on a USB to play portably?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Slime posted:

Just don't run over them if you have anything that gives lets you smash rocks/mushrooms/skulls.

Or do because they give you a ton of pills/items.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Got the Tanuuki Leaf as my first item on my EVE run. Pretty fun run, just alt-tabbing for boss fights as my fly slowly whittled them down.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

The Bee posted:

Anyone complaining about Dingle when Gurdy "No Telegraph No Animation Just Open Mouth and Ping-Pong Around Room" Jr. is in this game honestly confuses me.

Gurdy is one of the easier bosses. As soon as she dips her head in, just strafe to a different compass point. Never get hit again. Dingle is arguably harder than Gurdy.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I don't want to get Technology in this situation right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like that you circled it with the Ludovico laser. But no, don't get Technology 1 or 2 since they're nerf your damage a bit. I'm pretty sure they also overwrite Azazel's Brimstone, which is probably what you're actually worried about.

Yeah I just decided to play azazel and happened to get Ludovico as my first item. Never got it before so it's pretty cool.

Anything else to watch out for that will end the fun?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I like that you circled it with the Ludovico laser. But no, don't get Technology 1 or 2 since they're nerf your damage a bit. I'm pretty sure they also overwrite Azazel's Brimstone, which is probably what you're actually worried about.

I just found Mutant Spider. Will there be 4 Ludovico circles now?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not sure how those three combine since I've never had Brimstone, Ludovico, and Mutant Spider simultaneously. But I can tell you that there's zero reason to not pick it up, as the only negative to Mutant Spider is tears down and with Ludovico that never comes into effect. You do fire four lasers with Brimstone and quad shot usually though, so I'd assume it'd do the same here and boost your damage exponentially.

I'm quite enjoying sitting on a rock and destroying everything by moving the ring around.

But 1 shotting the bosses with 4 lasers would be pretty nice.

edit: Picked Up Mutant Spider, all that changed was it increased my damage. Woo

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 22, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think it's like a 300% increase, so even if it doesn't look cool it's still really good. Unless you find Polyphemus later in the run, in which case picking it up was a mistake as Polyphemus alone would be a much bigger damage buff but what can you do? :shrug:

Well it made my run pretty simple.

Used the Joker card in the Womb which took me straight to the Cathedral. Beat Isaac in about 2 sec.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

It's probably too late but ludovico + technology is actually really good. It damages everything in the circle instead of just what touches the edge. It will do less damage per hit, but it seemed worth it the one time I had it.

I retried and got the technology, but all it did was make the huge laser circle a tiny laser circle. Seemed to make it harder to hit things honestly.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Why can't I get a good Magdelene run :negative:

I have not got 1 tear "upgrade" besides technology in the 10+ times I have tried. And technology sucks anyway

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

So it turns out that the old burrowing white head worm dudes in Womb can now pop up directly under you, doing damage before you can do anything. I literally never had that happen in original BoI, and they seem to be coded to do it a % of the time. Unlocked Dad's Key at least, but I had a fun run up until I lost five hearts in two rooms to those, you know, non-boss enemies that have guaranteed damage. :bravo:

When are you ever standing still in this game? I have never had a problem getting hit by those enemies.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

First time having a good chance with ???. And then I find this, so hard to resist...What to do?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I think if you've got a shitload of items, the dice room usually makes you overpowered. I've never had a late reroll gently caress me up, only the early ones.

Well it took away my flying and awesome tears but gave me ipecac and metre. So I then went on to beat Isaac. Still hate ipecac though.

D6 time :D

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Finally had a run ruined by that stupid white ball charging shot item. Teleport on being hit is lame.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Well, today I figured out that the giant hole in the wall after beating Mom is not just the exit she smashed open but the Boss Rush. This whole time I just thought it was an exit back to the level if she happened to smash the door or something. Durr

Started an Eden game with Sacred Heart which pretty much got me my first Isaac kill on him. Woo

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Alkydere posted:

FTL is downright amazing honestly. Though it's a lot more deliberate, and pretty much requires and expects you to use the pause function to give orders unless you're a savant at the game like Lethalfrag. BOI is more twitch based, FTL is basically "dueling spreadsheets in the shape of spaceships" (which is a lot more fun than it sounds). Just remember that "Easy" is normal, "Normal" is hard, and "Hard" is "Welcome to the S.S. Dickpunch." Also, remember that unlike in BOI there's really no such thing as a "carry item" besides maybe the Zoltan Super Shield (which is hands down the best augment in the game).

Flak Cannon is the carry item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

So the closest flies in Solar System don't do damage. I could've sworn Pretty Flies do, but even after getting a third they don't. Makes the Gnawed Leaf I got on the Boss Rush in the challenge (I had Dead Cat and the Collar so whatever) much less useful, since the bullshit white burrowing worms can rush me and I can't move or else I take damage. Good job guys :bravo:

Yeah the only flies that do damage are the blue, red, yellow ones.