Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kurtofan posted:

Pre-load completed, but when will the game be playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

But the fourth of November is in one hour :(

Hey, I've been living in fourth of November for about five minutes already, if I can tough it out then so can you Mr. Yesterday. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Met posted:

It's been 5 minutes. Hardly a time to panic.

Delayed 'til 2015 confirmed

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I thought you were joking about this but there really actually are people threatening to kill themselves over this dead baby poop shooting game.

People are not going to actually kill themselves :ssh:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Only played ~25 hours of the original way back when but also "beat" the game on the first try with daddy's long leg stomping on everything. Also got 99 bombs which was pretty great.

Can someone remind me of the hidden room logic, assuming it hasn't changed? The super secret one was in a place that isn't adjacent to more than one room, right? What about the normal one?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I used a pair of scissors to sever my own head and my body destroyed the giant blob monstrosity that was the level boss in less than 10 seconds, that's pretty metal.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Seriously though, I don't know if it was in the original but Cut and Run is pretty ridiculous. So far it has soloed every boss without me having to do anything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Unless they renamed something, that's new.

Either way it's pretty absurd. I found it on the first floor and it practically solo-killed every boss including Mom's heart in less than 20 seconds with no input from me aside from dodging. The separated body just runs to the boss and sticks to them until they die while you float around as the head. There's no time limit to it either as far as I can tell.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just a random tip if you're new to the game or have been away for long, if a small rock has an "x" somewhere on its surface, blowing it up will net you a couple of goodies (often a soul heart or two).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Against my expectations my first attempt at Hard mode turned out to be a success as well, although I did actually die twice but was saved by being Lazarus and Guppy. :v: Hard mode seems a lot more interesting than normal, although the real late game might be pretty brutal. Didn't get any crazy combos or anything, just a cat man doing cat things and shooting max power tears while flying around.

I call him Catarus.

E: Oh right, Sheol is already available from there. Guess it's not over yet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

So what does hard mode actually change? Also do we know if there are unique rewards for it yet?

Seems to be more/harder enemies at least. And yeah, there are hardmode-exclusive unlocks afaik.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Who was I kidding, not even Hardmode Satan could stand against the power of pure cat. I never actually beat this guy in the original. :v:

Anyway, game's a lot of fun and has worked flawlessly for me. Seems to be a lot more variety this time around, and hardmode should keep it pretty challenging too. Can definitely see myself sinking a lot of hours into this one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Beating the cathedral is a cross and sheol is an upside-down cross.

And if you clear them on Hard, the icons are written in blood.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This game hasn't even been out for 24 hours yet and I've logged 15 hours of gametime.

Dear god.

McMillen is going to pretty happy I think.

For refence, Skyrim's all-time peak is 78,420. E: Although that data is only from july 2012 so the actual peak might be higher. Still, that's a ton of players.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 5, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Man, the Cellar is so rough on Hard mode. And The Haunt or whatever he's called is way trickier than the other starting bosses.

Still can't go back to Normal because I'm a masochist.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

-41 win streak, still haven't beaten mom's heart after 6 hours of playing, what am I doing wrong?

e: It seems like most people suck but get a broken combo and win.

Not really, broken combos just make people more likely to post about them. You don't need anything special to get to and beat the heart on Normal, maybe just need to work on dodging.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.

I said no such thing and there's no need to get so defensive, but it's kinda hard to say what you're doing wrong without seeing your actual play. And yeah, an experienced player can get to Mom's Heart on normal just fine but at that point it's probably not a "win" anymore since the game doesn't actually end there. On top of that the game gets harder when you beat it so the better you get at it the more challenging it gets. Obviously winstreaks are unlikely unless you're an exceptionally good player.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well the bit about no hearts from bosses is true

Hearts seem to be pretty scarce in general, although maybe I'm misremembering how common they were on Normal.

Magdalene seems quite useful on Hard since she retains her rechargable heal.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Died in hardmode Utero II after entering a room with a bunch of circles, stepped on one, and it reseted the entire level except with a Curse of the Unknown and I died while I couldn't see my health. :negative:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

gently caress

Now do it on Hard!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Just killed mom and a room popped up on the right, entered grab an item out of 4 and every single boss in the game attacked me in pairs. :psyduck:

What the gently caress just happened.

Must've been a pretty good run since you got there so quickly.

The boss rush comes up if you beat Mom's heart in less than 20 minutes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I keep finding the Monkey Paw but I'm always scared to keep it. :ohdear:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Have we figured out the difference between hard and normal yet, and also which one the game defaults to?

It defaults to normal but aside from not getting hearts from bosses and curses being more frequent I don't think there's a full list yet. I don't think you take more damage, but enemy arrangements do seem harsher and item drops might be more scarce.

Just got killed by hardmode Satan despite having Lord of the Flies. :negative:

E:

Also the cat's head that gives you a tear burst on 1-point charge is hilarious with Azazel and I'd guess Brimstone. It annihilated Mom's heart in approximately 0.3 seconds, and it's reusable in every single room because every room you clear recharges it again. I'm 80% sure I would've beaten Satan if Lord of the Flies hadn't taken it away from me.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Is there anything to be gained by playing Hard Mode or the challenges, or is it just a "because I can" sort of thing?

Unless things have changed since then, according to this both hard mode and the challenges have their own unlocks, and unlocking something in hard mode also unlocks the normal mode equivalent so you can ditch Normal altogether if you like.

E: Another thing I realized trying out Normal, coloured enemies are more frequent on Hard and they're around from the start.

E2: And yeah, item drops seem a ton more frequent on Normal, on Hard you can go entire floors without getting keys/bombs/hearts from clearing rooms.

E3: Apparently normal also brings me great luck, I've gone 25 runs or so with no broken combos on Hard and on my first try on Normal I got one of those rooms with six circles, stood in one and it just straight-up gave me a win in the form of all this:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

E3: Apparently normal also brings me great luck, I've gone 25 runs or so with no broken combos on Hard and on my first try on Normal I got one of those rooms with six circles, stood in one and it just straight-up gave me a win in the form of all this:

Quoting myself because that was hilarious, got every "Boy" achievement 'til Cathedral (and would've gotten them legitimately because nothing ever got even close to me) and beat Isaac without taking a single point of damage. Unlocked Satanic Bible, whatever that does.

Admittedly that was sort of satisfying after all the suffering on Hard. Maybe the most powerful items are rarer on Hard as well, but that's hard to say because the RNG is fickle.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Vengeful fly is very good, almost soloed Mom's Heart.

Cut and Run is basically like vengeful fly except it's rechargable, gives you flight, lasts 'til everything is dead and doesn't require you to take damage.

I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often, maybe it's just super rare. Looks like a pair of shears.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Well this is new for me, guess there's more than items in those hidden hatches.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

IMJack posted:

In the original game, the Shears didn't unlock until you had died 100 times. I figure not a lot of people have played that many games yet.

Must've been changed then since I got it on launch day and even I haven't managed to die a hundred times that quickly. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's time to :getin:

(Actually I'm utterly hosed now, I've only beaten a post-heart boss on Hard once and that was back when everything was still Just Peachy)

E:

Also judging from the fact that the first boss was a black Widow, I guess it affects Challenges too. Probably should've finished those first.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 6, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

HGH posted:

For the most part this just means way more Champions. Some bosses are easier but my biggest weakness after this is dark blue/black enemies, who explode on death and are an absolute pain.

At least on Hard those things are great because they drop bombs, and I always seem to be out of bombs. Might be a different story now of course.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Found the Satanic Bible I unlocked and it seems pretty powerful, specifically it acts as a rechargable source of black hearts (or whatever they're called) with a recharge time of 6.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

How does this game play with a PS3 controller with BetterDS3? I was always interested in the original, but I hated the keyboard controls and could never get JoyToKey working properly.

Works great for me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

HGH posted:

About the D6 rooms. I know for a fact that a D5 will basically apply a Forget Me Now to your current floor, meaning you'll start over at the start of it with the room gone.

Are you sure? It seems to vary depending on which one you step on from what I can tell. There's definitely some element of randomness in play in any case.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

e: also i swear it's way easier than the original game too. definitely easier than Wrath of the Lamb

Don't forget that the game gets harder as you beat it, Rebirth will obviously be easier until you reach the same level of difficulty as in WotL after beating it enough times.

And Hard mode exists now too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Got my second hardmode Satan win, on Samson this time. It was one of those runs where I didn't really get anything broken but my character was solid enough to somehow pull through anyway. I honestly expected to get wrecked but Samson was just too angry to die.

Got an ending I had already seen this time around so I guess now I need to keep beating up the heart a few more times. At least I got an unlock out of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Cryohazard posted:

"so what, this guy takes a few hearts and pops out a soul heart in exchange? that's a pretty swell- wait, every... every heart? really?"

The thing's not quite as crazy on hard mode since hearts drops are pretty drat rare, even with a Child's Heart I didn't have max hearts against Satan.

That said I wouldn't mind it getting nerfed a bit since it's not powerful in a way that's particularly fun or interesting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

You get the same ending every time you beat Satan, but you still unlock the next Mom's Heart ending in the sequence - it should be available for viewing under Stats in the main menu.

Yeah, I know. It's a bit of an awkward way to do it though, I wish the ending list at least showed which ending is which especially since most endings start the exact same way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

President Ark posted:

One of the floor curses hides your health bar.

Maze is the dumbest curse, it doesn't actually do much of anything but having to run through the same room thrice because you end up where you started from is the worst.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Somehow managed to do the Beans! challenge on the first try despite everything being terrible, getting a goddamn XL level in the final floor AND Mom being a coloured version instead of the normal one. :shepface: Finished with a single half-heart, I might've cried a little if I had died there. The final fight was basically me just unloading all my bombs and running around like a madman while the poison slowly whittled down the boss.

Here's a small tip that ultimately saved me and makes life a bit easier in general: If soul/black hearts drop in the middle of a level, don't pick them up immediately unless you think you're going to die before the boss fight. Instead leave them there and return to pick them up after you've cleared the floor but before engaging the boss. Normal hearts can be regenerated in many ways but those ones are lost forever, so you don't want to waste them on normal rooms if at all possible.

This'll not only leave you in better position against the boss and the following floor, but also unlike with normal health, taking soul/black heart damage from a boss does not decrease your chances for getting a devil/angel room. In the long run this'll lead to a fair bit more success with your attempts.

Obviously doesn't apply if you don't have normal hearts at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Sometimes I wonder where everyone gets all these cool items - I swear I just have endless chains of runs with mediocre to useless items one after the other. I don't think I've ever seen a brimstone, or a spoon bender, or anything. I get the devil rooms semi-regularly but 70% of the time he has red chests that have troll bombs and spiders in them and the rest of the time he has some poo poo like Dead Cat and Little Maggie and Guppy's Hairball (really? for max health? no thanks). I've beaten Mom's Heart on several characters by now, but ever since EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE unlocked that pretty much stopped completely. Often my attack power is so low it takes me 4-5 minutes of nonstop firing to kill some of the later bosses, and I just can't survive that long against the horrifying bullet hell that is Mom's Heart. I've gotten to Sheol a couple times, managed to get to Satan once, killed his first two forms and then died instantly from a giant goat hoof stepping on me, and never got to sheol again.

I swear this game hates me. Hell, I've never seen a single angel room in 75+ games and a lot of the time I don't buy anything from the devil because he's only selling garbage like usual or isn't even selling anything in the first place.

Most of my runs are without any crazy items as well, it's just that people like to talk about the unusual runs more than the plain ones. The lack of angel rooms is a bit unusual though, are you taking a lot of red heart damage in boss fights?

Speaking of angel rooms, the Prayer Card is pretty silly, it gives you half a sacred heart on every use with a 6 charge time. It nearly changes batteries into permanent health ups. I very nearly had max hp even though it was a Challenge run that only went up to the first Mom:

I was also a flying ghost firing zig-zagging spectral lasers homing on enemies so there's that.