Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I know Steam releases new games at 10 AM, but what time does PSN update their releases? It'd be amazing if I could play it on the train to work at 7:40 AM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Is anyone still watching Northernlion's stream 'cause wow

I went to get something to eat before I sit in front of my computer for the next untold number of hours and missed what he did to fight them all like that, but god drat.

I had thought about taking off work today to play it and then decided that no, I like not being poor. But then I got the flu shot, which made me sick (still better than potentially getting the flu) and now I'm actually off sick today. Thanks, modern science!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Duggler posted:

I think Northernlion is the only person actually playing in the world

Bisnap is playing and so is someone named "skkf" who I never heard of before.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Why did Northernlion get an advance copy and Cobaltstreak didn't? Seems weird.

He did. When the game was supposed to be released, NL opted out of the beta and was able to play the full release version. Cobalt tried that, and got locked out of both the release (like us) and the beta.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Whatever item gave me cursed charged shots is horseshit. :( It gives you a charged shot that releases four shots at once in a straight line, BUT if you take ANY damage while charging, you teleport to a random room.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Random observations:

My game crashed the first time I got to The Womb, just after playing a Fortune Teller machine. Luckily it had autosaved when I entered the level.

The worst enemy is the map in the corner of the screen. I've taken so much dumb damage just from not seeing one hidden there.

Everything feels more floaty compared to the original game. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a reason why it's taken some getting used to and I'm taking stupid damage.

The new Brimstone sound sucks and I hope they patch it out. It's like knives in my ears.

Another new sound I hate is the sounds it makes when you kill an enemy. Give me back the splort noise; the noises now don't have the same satisfaction.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

The Head Trauma challenge is loving horrible. Aiming your shots is a bitch and you have neither dps nor single hit damage.

I beat Mom on that once, then died at the LAST POSSIBLE SECOND to an enemy. Took me three more tries to beat it. I finally got Brimstone on a Devil Deal, which was nearly a huge mistake. Ultra-low damage, immediate charging Brimstone. I ended up killing Mom with The Bible.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Internet posted:

Yeah, you need to fill it over multiple runs.

So there's an item that gives you a point of invincibility every time you enter a room. Combine that with shielded tears and uh,

Didn't get a change to go to Sheol or Cathedral unfortunately. Is there an achievement for doing those no-hit too?

I need something like this. The no damage achievements are hanging over my head, and I can't stop kicking myself when I take stupid damage and miss them. I think I'm going to try to farm them with Azazel before he's possibly nerfed.

I got the no damage achievements on the original game by accident. I remember getting Mama's Boy because I went down to The Womb, as Guppy, with half a heart, and got the achievement out of necessity, not due to trying for it specifically.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

It actually looks really good in game and I quickly stopped noticing, but I really hate the animation on the ending cutscenes and the style on the Steam cards.

The perspective on the golden chest in the end cutscenes is so off it has to be intentional.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I could be wrong, but I think the challenges incorporate everything you've unlocked, including unlocks that make the game harder such as the more difficult floors. Therefore it kind of makes sense to tackle the challenges early, because you don't want to get hosed by more challenge.

Though I could be wrong and they're independent of what you've unlocked.

Also, does anyone know how to tell what floor you're on in the Vita version? I know how to zoom in on the map by tapping it, but it doesn't tell you the floor name. I always forget if I'm on Depths I or II.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Flying is super important now. It used to be that I'd skip over taking Lord of the Pit if I saw it early because I knew I had a very good chance of getting a better flying item soon after, and a good chance of flying not mattering. Now there's so many more rooms with obstacles restricting my ability to dodge and so many consumables across gaps that I'll take anything that allows me to fly.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The first time I picked up Ludovico, it was on a giant room (the boss rush), and I lost instantly because I kept losing the loving thing. In the Community Remix mod for the first game, you could use your mouse to control it, which was a lot easier. Can you swap to using a controller mid-run? I might do that, an analog stick would make it more bearable.

The other disappointment was Tiny Planet. I got it as my first item on a floor and it sucks without any upgrades.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hope things aren't nerfed at all, but I really hope that things aren't nerfed before I have a chance to try them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I hope nothing cool gets its power nerfed, but anything "overpowered" gets its rarity nerfed. The existence of overpowered runs is a good thing in my book, but they seem way too common.

On the subject of rarity, I've gotten Sacred Heart twice now in the first 48 hours the game was out, as opposed to getting it like once every three months as in the original game.

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

Search for "Binding of Isaac Demo" and try the demo on Newgrounds or wherever it's hosted first, if you want. That'll give you a taste of what Isaac is all about. But yeah, get Rebirth.

Zoness posted:

Is Danny Baranowsky still the guy that does music for Rebirth? I feel like the soundtrack in Rebirth is conspicuously worse aside from the basement track - is there a way to splice the old Isaac soundtrack in?

The new music is definitely a downgrade, but it's more atmospheric/ambient music instead of the intense feel of the original game's music. I guess that's what Edmund wanted to go for. In some ways it fits the new game better, I think.

I turned the music off because I like to watch things on my other monitor, and even the ambient music is distracting. One thing I really miss though: in the original game, even if you had the music off, using something like the Unicorn Horn would play its special music. Since now it just speeds the music up, you don't get any kind of audio clue it's started. It's really jarring when using Taurus. There's also no audio cue when going into a boss room or finding a mini-boss.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Apparently there is a patch coming today for PC users. It'll hit the Playstation versions afterwards. I hope it's just bug fixes, changing the Brimstone sound, and no rebalancing.

Did anyone else notice that Lil' Brimstone uses a sound more like the old Brimstone? It's the only Brimstone-like effect in the game that doesn't use the ear-piercing new sound.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

The Purist is the worst because you don't even start with any items are there no treasure rooms.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think The Purist would be easier now because there are more opportunities to get items. Upgrade your shop before the challenge so you have more item choices there, for example. If you get a Goat's Head and get Devil Deals all the time, you have a much easier time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Shears are incredible now. I just had an Eden run where he had them to start off with. Most bosses didn't even get a chance to attack, and the boss rush took about two minutes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah you just need to get lucky, if you got something like the Holy Mantle early on it wouldn't even be super hard.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of how The Lost wouldn't be painful to play as, and that's basically the only way. Holy Mantle followed by ridiculous devil deals. It's not hard, just probably too tedious for me because I have to wait for the game to set up the perfect run.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thank god Rebirth came out when it did. The Isaac-likes such as Our Darker Purpose and A Wizard's Lizards were all terrible. I don't like how dark Rebirth is compared to the original Isaac, but at least it's not as dark as those games. It was like Curse of Darkness is in Rebirth, but all the time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

For challenges theres always that one item that completely takes all the challenge out. For Cursed? I came across the Holy Mantle which negates 1 instance of damage every room effectively making all doors passable without damage. For Waka Waka grabbing brimstone makes a little magnetic black(red) hole of death which then fires off a brimstone soon after. I also keep completing the Guppy transformation compared to maybe getting it once in my entire WotL career.

Some of the challenges have me praying for a die room that rerolls my items. They should probably make those not spawn in challenge runs, but they're rare enough, so whatever.

I got Guppy basically every single post-Platinum-God run in the original game, even without the D6.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

That's a relief. Guess the new Wiki is about as trustworthy as the old one.

I wonder if the fact about seeded runs working is bullshit as well.

I don't plan on unlocking The Lost for a while, but it feels like the seeded run thing is bullshit to me also. My reasoning is that if that were true, everyone would be sharing seeds that have a mulliboom on the room next to the start instead of banging their heads against the wall trying to find one.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

So do you all just immediately sever a run if you don't get a good damage up item in the first two levels? The starting damage is still entirely too low for it to be worth your time otherwise, at least in my opinion.

I got used to doing that in original Isaac, because I'd seen and done everything and was mostly playing it as time-filler until Rebirth. It's a hard habit to break, though to my credit I don't do it nearly as much. I really like Eden because it discourages you from just holding R when you don't like your first item room.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

Yea the meat boy/bandage girl thing is retarded because they can both drop from the horseman bosses.

Is there even a way to get this secret? Do you just NEED Book of Revelations on the first floor and then by a series of coinflips, have all four horsemen only drop cubes of meat? There's still only one horseman per set of floors, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Right after complaining about how impossible it was to get four cubes of meat for Super Meat Boy, I go home, run into a room, find it, and proceed to get it first try. Complaining about how hard things are in games often lets me do it right away. Same thing happened with Dark Souls.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I lost a boss challenge when I had rubber cement and like every damage up due to glare on my Vita screen. :( Do anti-glare screens for the Vita actually work?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

All invulnerability does. Hell, in the original game if you were in the womb the increased invulnerability time from being damaged for a heart instead of a half a heart let you use the machines twice - once being damaged, and then again invulnerable from the first hit.

I'm still not used to the reduced invulnerability time in general in Rebirth. I keep getting hit twice because I dodge into bullets thinking that I'll just absorb them in my invulnerability frame, and that doesn't go well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I accidentally found the best seed for the mulliboom death. You start with a curse room above you, and a champion mulliboom in the room to the left.

AHYS
SZWL

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I'm disappointed they nerfed the one-heart challenge rooms. It was cool having a guaranteed item in that room that could bail you out of trouble or just be a high-risk pickup.

It used to be balanced by the fact that sometimes you'd go in there and it'd just be Bob's Brain, The Shovel, or Dad's Key, but now it's balanced by there sometimes just being a gray chest. Which is often better than the other lovely items I mentioned.

The best is when you get three red chests and the first two have spiders or some pills in them and the last one takes you to the devil deal, so when you leave the devil room you don't have to fight the bosses that never spawned.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tracula posted:

It varies. Some things like the champ Monstro are nice since they can't jump. By the the easiest one though is the Carrion Queen since she just shits out mini-hearts instead of those goddamn red poops.

Champion Gurdy is the easiest champion. She stays motionless and spawns enemies you're used to dealing with on Caves I instead of shooting. So you stay on her left side and close your eyes while you fire to the right, then clean up the nubs and flies when she's dead.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I got Ipecac, then Soy Milk, and then picked up Proptosis. I went from a constant stream of exploding tears to the attack buttons making my face explode. Nothing shot out even a pixel; pressing the attack button just caused an explosion centered directly on Isaac's head.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Even though every secret the game has was leaked within days of the game's release, there were still some things I avoided getting spoiled on. I have to spoil the way I found the boss rush mode, and I'm not going to use spoiler tags because everyone knows how to get it now. I lost my first run due to Cursed Eye, then won my second run to Mom's Foot. My third run, I don't even remember what I had, but I killed Mom's Foot with like five minutes to spare. The wall crumbled, so I said, "poo poo man, they listened to my silent prayers and let us go back to the rest of the floor after killing Mom!" Then I went in and had some massive confusion that I wasn't in Depths II any longer.

The sudden rush of bosses and not knowing what was going on was incredible. I'd heard people talk about a boss rush while I read about it between the game's supposed release time and the actual release, but I thought it was something I'd have to choose from the start menu, not something that popped up during the game.

I also just killed the actual last boss of the game in a similar way. I knew that Mega Satan existed, and I knew how to get to it, but I hadn't even seen a screenshot of the fight yet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

Let me guess? One huge orbital going round and round?

You get one tear that you can half-control, half-fight with the game to stop from continuing its orbit around your head. Also it won't go past a certain distance from you.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I love Edmund's obsession with Magic.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
http://www.twitch.tv/northernlion/b/593167629

Northernlion talking to the Rebirth team about Rebirth's release and potential expansion ideas. Some interesting stuff, including more of them being coy about a 3DS release.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

SuicideSnowman posted:

They really need to do something with the automatic pickup of the polaroid/negative at the end of the mom fight. In a fight where your best option is to stay in the middle of the room and to have an item spawn immediately after killing Mom is pretty obnoxious. I don't know how many runs I've ruined where I'm wanting to go to the Lamb but I automatically pick up the polaroid.

Northernlion asked the developers about this, and they said they'd look into it.

It's strange there's no delay on boss item pickups (same goes for There's Options; I've often taken the wrong boss item by accident) while there is a delay on other stuff in the game. There's a delay between consumables spawning and when you can pick them up, leading to some annoying moving back and forth. There's also a delay, at least in 1.01 on the Vita, where your passive items don't proc right away until you move to another room. If you get Holy Mantle on Basement I, then go down to Basement II, see a curse room above you and move into it, you might take damage. I had a Blue Baby run almost ruined by that. Thank god it wasn't The Lost.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My addiction to reset-scumming makes me jealous of people who stream or put out YouTube videos who are incentivized to continue every run no matter what dogshit items they get, because people will rage at them if they don't. I need consequences for my bad behavior, dammit. On the plus side, I burnt through 25+ Eden tokens trying to get a powerful start, and now I'll have to be more careful with each Eden run.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain that in one of my games (I have this on PC and Vita), I unlocked the Cellar by accidentally killing small Gemini in the boss rush room when I was super overpowered and killing things without any control over what died when.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Because he counts as a Horseman but doesn't give a cube of meat or ball of bandages. Basically, he can screw you out of a level 4 Meat Boy or Bandage Girl.

And usually by the time you get to him, the white pony is not a good item to be taking.

Flight is the most useful thing until you get to the post-Mom's Heart levels and nearly irrelevant afterwards except for avoiding damage from enemy creep. The White Pony would be such a good item if it had more than one floor of relevance.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just had a run last night where I got a first floor Book of Revelations, used it every chance I got, and only saw one horseman. How does that happen? Doesn't using it guarantee a horseman?

There was some unsubstantiated rumor late in Isaac's life that using the Book of Revs an even number of times on a floor would negate the "there must be a horseman" effect, maybe that's what happened? I have no clue, I was pissed because the Ball of Bandages achievement is one of the only non-Lost ones I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A 6-Room just transformed me into Lord of the Flies, gave me Infestation 2, The Mulligan, Dry Baby, Infested Baby, and Holy Mantle, among other things not worth mentioning.