Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Even if it was tackled legitimately, the community would've solved it pretty fast. They already figured out the puzzle, all that was left was to put it together. As another example, Valve made an ARG for TF2 that they thought would take a few weeks to solve. The community solved it in 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

So uh you dudes should watch this it's insane. http://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer

And he crashed it. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I tried finishing up the original game and go for the no damage achievements. I managed to get Dark Boy, but I missed out on Spelunker and Mama's Boy thanks to Greed. :argh:. Any tips for clearing those?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Any tips on Spelunker Boy? This is in Wrath of the Lamb Isaac, not Rebirth so I can't just cheese it with Azazel and some crazy item loadout. It feels like I'm doing well, and then the game decides to throw a room at me where I can't avoid taking any damage or a really awful boss is thrown at me. I had a much easier time with the other no damage achievements, but I have no idea why this one is giving me so much trouble.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh my god I just saw this on steam, did not know the game was programmed like this. This is retarded and awesome and I want to get brimstone now just to DBZ fight Monstro and The Fallen, etc

Sorry if this is well known, this thread moves too fast for me to keep up with.

Shielded Tears were probably involved. I don't think normal Brimstone can block that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Chumppell posted:

So, does anyone know what causes Breakfast to show up as a devil deal item? How about replace every devil deal item?

I just got a devil room with two breakfasts for one heart each and a breakfast in a red chest.

What

Breakfast is the item that spawns when the item pools run out to stop the game from crashing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The rooms with red poop surrounding the entrances should be removed because while they're not too much of an issue for normal tears, you can't avoid taking damage if you have Dr. Fetus or Ipecac.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

IDK, then maybe make it an option on the options menu if it'd really piss that many people off.

It could just be a special seed.

Apparently BASE MENT works as one of those. All floors are the basement. Same enemies, same bosses. There is no end to this. It just goes on. Forever.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

So I guess in Rebirth, if you have 12 heart containers, you can't pick up any soul- or black hearts?

That's really lovely. That just cost me a fight against Satan. That seems to me like it actively makes the game worse. Why would you make that change?

It was supposed to be that way in the original BOI, but a glitch caused Soul Hearts to go off the screen. Edmund liked the glitch enough to let it stay in WOTL Isaac, but he decided to get rid of it in Rebirth.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So why do people hate the Haunt? I haven't had too much trouble with it. Aside from his spread shot having no tell, the two ghosts that it sends after me gave me more trouble than the actual boss.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Dark bum is pretty much a run winner all on its own even after the nerf. The fact that it only costs 1 red heart is pretty absurd. Its less good on hard since heart drops aren't as common but still worth it in 99% of games.

Seriously. I had one of the worst Samson runs going, and all I had left was 2 hearts and Brimstone by the time I got to the womb. Then that thing showed up in a devil room. I became completely unkillable after that. There's no reason to keep any red heart containers after finding it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, so how are people getting through the game with The Lost? The farthest I've managed to get with him is the first floor of the Caves. It really doesn't help that there's just some rooms where it's near impossible to avoid taking damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

How are you supposed to do the Demo Man challenge? Dr. Fetus is such a bad item now. :barf: It takes ages to kill anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

As soon as I complained about it, the game dumped a bunch of damage up items on me on my next try. :v: So I guess Dr. Fetus can be a good item, you just can't pick it up early. What a shame, it was my favorite item in the original. Does Dr. Fetus not rig the item pool anymore?

I would be kind of fine with The Lost if the "gently caress you, here's some free damage" rooms didn't exist. Oh, and if bosses didn't have nearly untelegraphed attacks, like Mega Fatty's stomp and the Haunt. I see why everyone hates that thing now. Also, gently caress spiders. Especially those hopping ones. Also, what am I supposed to do in rooms where it's crowded and there's a bunch of Mullibooms and spiders? :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think the real secret to a successful Lost run isn't necessarily getting the Holy Mantle or Dead Cat, but to get so disgustingly powerful that nothing can touch you. Got Brimstone, Spoon Bender, several damage ups, and turned into Guppy. Nothing lasted for more than 3 seconds. Of course Holy Mantle and Dead Cat can help with covering up mistakes.

Now I just have to get the other 4. Would've gotten into the boss rush room if it weren't for Curse of the Lost wasting my time. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Stokes posted:

How are people avoiding unlocking the Cellar? It's one of the first things I unlocked, but if I can start completely over and intentionally avoid unlocking the reason I end 50% of my total runs via annoyance, then I would totally do that. Are you just severing runs if you run into Gemini?

Gemini has two ways to kill it. Either kill the big guy or the baby last. Not killing the big guy last is easier.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 7, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes he is. It being possible to be worse doesn't stop it from being garbage as is. That's the entire point of the character.

Yeah, The Lost isn't gonna be rebalanced. Aside from maybe nerfing the Holy Mantle, it's pretty clear that the devs are happy with The Lost as is. The unlocks are pretty neat at least. I wonder if the unlock condition is gonna be changed. Since the ARG is over, it's just kind of out of place. Getting all the no damage achievements or something would be a more sensible unlock condition.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Any tips on the Family Man challenge. I barely made it through It Lives. Then I realized it went on to the Cathedral. :negative: Rotten Baby is like the only useful familiar in that challenge.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

9L2C BBLN

This seed has lil Brimstone in the first devil room, and Humbling Bundle is in the shop on the second floor. Goat Head is in the first cave curse room too. Unfortunately The Haunt is the first boss. Good luck.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Azazel is pretty strong. He's pretty much easy mode. But if you don't find something like Brimstone, Tammy's Head, or something to deal with his short range, it becomes really annoying to deal with on the later floors. Aside from that he's pretty strong. Free flight is one of the strongest things about him.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Honestly if you want to make a challenge easy just use a seed that gives you dark bum on the second floor devil.

You can actually get it in a Treasure Room, it's just really rare.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there need to be more item sets that give forms

There's so many Bob/Sloth items at this point that there might as well be a Bob transformation. It would give his brain a use at least.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's no way The Lost is being buffed. He's like what the Blue Baby was supposed to be in the original, a bad character with some very specific advantages. If anything, he's more likely to get nerfed so that the Holy Mantle isn't as good on him.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Can't believe I managed to pull that off. I was getting tired of trying for a Holy Mantle or Dead Cat on the first floor so I decided to just try to make do with whatever I get. IPECAC was my first item. :getin: It felt so good to utterly demolish The Haunt with it. Right before the Mom fight I got Technology 2 and Spoon Bender. And the boss rush offered Infestation 2. The boss rush was demolished in 1 minute. I think this is the most powerful run I had. At that point the IPECAC shots were more of a threat than anything else. I had way too many close calls with those. Not even a double Adversary room stood a chance. It was ridiculous. Probably could've taken down Mega Satan easily, but I didn't want to risk it. You don't have to fight it as The Lost, right? I don't think I'll tackle the chest with him just yet, but at least the fun unlocks are in the pool now.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 10, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gently caress you too game. :bang:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's some known changes.

quote:

Improve Steam Cloud sync
Fix random disconnect for Sony controllers
Fix crash on trinket pool reset
Fix Gemini + BFFS
Fix Technology 2 + Chocolate Milk
Eden's start items are seeded more reliably
Fix collectible spawn position for There's Options and Negative
Fix Holy Mantle continue exploit
Fix seed exploit for challenge runs
Fix hard mode affecting room drops other than hearts

Fix P2 blood donation exploit
Fix P2 anti-gravity
Fix P2 being able to use bombs
Fix Devil Deal exploit with half soul heart
Fix invincible Carrion Queen
Fix Blue Baby restart issue
Fix Haunt not invincible for the first few frames
Fix 60fps interpolation for Cube of Meat 2
Fix picked up item disappearing when exiting during pickup animation
Limit Halo of Flies count to 10
Change Lil' Brimstone deal to 2 hearts
Change Ticking Spider collision damage to half a heart
Change Head of Krampus to 6 charges
Improve Dark Bum mechanics

Well I hope anyone that was trying to do The Lost wasn't reliant on the Holy Mantle.

^:argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dark Bum still "pays out" afterr 1.5 red hearts. But it now has a chance of giving you nothing, or throwing spiders in your face.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dark Bum can also give out friendly spiders as well as enemy spiders. So he's more like a beggar instead of a straight heart to soul heart converter. He still only costs one red heart, but the Mitre is a more reliable way of getting Soul Hearts now.

As for the Halo of Flies thing, I don't know what that's referring to. It's not referring to the blue flies at all. I tested it out, and I had way more than 10 of those things when I tried out Guppy. The only thing I can think of is that the Pretty Fly limit got increased from 3 to 10, but I'm not too sure on that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This didn't get mentioned in the PC notes, but the PS4 version mentions the telefragging being fixed.

RIP Dark Bum. For the record, it's still a great item, just slightly less run winning now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

About that, seed exploits still exist. They missed getting rid of one. Type in the seed on the character select screen, back out to the file select screen, go back to the character select screen and choose whoever. Your run will still be seeded, but the no unlockables and achievements restrictions no longer apply. Doesn't work for challenges anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

CaptainWinky posted:

Does anybody have a good Lost seed? (early Holy Mantle, brimstone, etc) I think I'm going to go ahead and cheese this while I can so I never have to think about the Lost again.

FT61 9M4F

Holy Mantle in the first Treasure Room, Dead Cat if you can kill Super Pride. Cursed Eye is in the 2nd Treasure room. Enjoy.

7HQH HVWV

Alternate seed. Holy Mantle in the Treasure Room, Stop Watch in the 2nd or 3rd shop.

The Alt + F4 exploit didn't get patched out either for some reason.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

e: Never mind.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What are the chances of a dollar dropping from the slot machine? I'm trying to get it, but it's like a lot more rare now. I used to get that thing all the time in WOTL Isaac.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Just a little warning for anyone that cares about achievements. Mods can still unlock the secrets, but that locks you out of the achievement. So if you got Platinum God or Real Platinum God on a modded game, you can't get the achievement unless you start a whole new save file. (Just use SAM.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

wocobob posted:

Does the no-achievements thing in challenges extend to items showing up? I haven't seen Black Lotus yet, and it seems like the easiest way to look for it would be to play Demo Man and bomb open the first secret room over and over.

Unfortunately it does. Best bet is probably Isaac with the D6 and hope an item shows up in the secret room.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Van Kraken posted:

Yep, that's the Lost. I had the dead cat too. I really wish you could see how many lives you have left.

If the cat head is gone, you're out of lives.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, how does the Chaos Card work? I keep trying to fire it at whatever and it fires in a completely different direction than where I was moving or firing. It's really aggravating because I lost a few runs this way.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You know what's great? Having a handful of extra coins you don't need, and having the donation machine jam on the first donation of each run. :bang:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Beans is such a terrible challenge. It's so boring, and you'll burn through your bomb supply fast if you want to get through it fast and keep running into damage sponge bosses. The Bean couldn't had a faster recharge time? Or you could've had the Battery to help with that? Or not be blindfolded?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

I just died as Azazel doing the last part to unlock The Lost. Do I have to start all over :negative:

Yes.

Krinkle posted:

If I want to do a boss rush most of all, but there's an angel room here, if I go to the angel room and come back will the boss rush door disappear? I would like some soul hearts or whatever but I absolutely do not want to lose the boss rush door.

e: the wiki was encouraging and I got... item martyr. My item is a portable blood bank. Yay? I got the boss rush, third time's the charm...

The boss rush door will stay open until it gets past 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ghost Head posted:

I mostly like the changes that have happened lately except for the inability to bomb into treasure rooms from adjacent rooms. that is loving idiotic. also, for fucks sake, put the seed on the death screen

It's a bug and it'll be fixed.

Just a warning, careful when using teleport items or a Moon card. If the secret room spawns next to unbombable rooms, you'll be trapped with no way out and will be forced to restart.