Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Oxyclean posted:

The expansion boss (or one of them) should be God himself. After all he is the one who told mom to kill Isaac. :v:

The thing is I feel like it should be a hopeless fight, since God being omnipotent and poo poo is kind of a central tenet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm sorry, I'm just laughing my rear end off at the idea of entering a boss fight, discovering that you're going up against God, and promptly being killed in an empty room by a white beam from heaven.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Fortis posted:

All the holy bosses would have to be crazy poo poo like the Ophanim, the angel that's a pair of nested chariot wheels covered in eyes.

Fistula/Teratoma descendant that ultimately decays into the white bomb worms. Bam, done.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Idea for balancing The Lost: start him with Breath Of Life and permanent Curse Of The Cursed. :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Eschatos posted:

The habit + Book of Revelations is a pretty much broken combo, giving half a soul heart every time you're hit.

:confused: This was true in the original game, but not in Rebirth. In Rebirth, with The Habit and Book Of Revelations and no other Spacebar-item-modifying items, it should give you a sixth of a soul heart every time you're hit. The 9-Volt and the AAA Battery on top of that would only bring that up to a quarter of a soul heart every time you're hit.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Eschatos posted:

I don't have Rebirth.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - jesus loves you, can't you see

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

I'm honestly surprised that in a game with as many poop jokes, items, even animated poop as enemies/bosses there's no item called the shart. For a nice pun have it give extra hearts and/or soul heart drops from breaking breaking poop tiles, maybe rename it to "sheart" to make the pun more obvious.

"The Shart" sounds more like a boss name.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

13/f/cali posted:

I would love a trinket called Greed Repellent for people who would like to shop ever.

Indulgence. :D

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's no way The Lost is being buffed. He's like what the Blue Baby was supposed to be in the original, a bad character with some very specific advantages. If anything, he's more likely to get nerfed so that the Holy Mantle isn't as good on him.

How about "if The Lost gets hit, but the hit is negated by some form of damage reduction like Holy Mantle or Infamy, he gets the paralysis effect"? :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Ariong posted:

As someone who does not play many rougelikes, I don't understand your argument. You have adequately explained that having winning runs ruined through factors out of your control is a staple of the genre, but you haven't explained why that makes it okay.

At the core of a roguelike is a slot machine. Your skill plays into it to some extent, but sooner or later in the end you're always at the mercy of the game, pushing the button over and over in eager anticipation of getting randomly rewarded or hosed over.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Playing as The Lost should always change your first floor treasure room to be either Kamikaze or Blood Rights.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

RiskyChris posted:

Every time you die as the lost, the game should lock him again, forcing you to do the unlock process over.

You see it's a very common roguelike trope therefore :smug:

Ooh, this is great! I honestly dislike the whole The Lost unlocking process, though. He should just be unlocked by defeating Mega Satan. Then give him tokens like Eden, which you acquire by defeating Mega Satan again. :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Reddit was getting pretty close, we would have had it unlocked for nearly the same amount of time. People who make these kinds of things always underestimate how obsessive people on the internet are.

He should've done it by having it unlocked by a trillion popped poops worldwide, or something like that. Something that brings the community together, but isn't vulnerable to datamining.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

omeg posted:

I wish there was some way to actually make the lovely familiars useful. Someone suggested an item that would apply tear effects to them, that would be fun.

Ipecac+Any Tear-Shooting Familiar :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

CJacobs posted:

A new character called The Shlost that dies in one hit and starts with no items. If you beat everything on hard mode with him you unlock a picture of Edmund pooping on your game's install folder.

A new character called Job that dies in one hit and starts with magnetic tears and body

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Only change I disapprove of here is the fly mechanic change. Infinite flies was one of the things I was most looking forward to in Rebirth. As for everything else: bring it on! :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
According to someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, the "halo of flies" being capped in this context are the pink enemy flies that form circles. :)

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

nah he's still alright but he's gone from "run definingly powerful" --nerf #1-> "still pretty good" --nerf #2--> "meh" for absolutely no good reason on the second nerf.

He only costs one heart which is still probably worth it, just goddamn is that a completely uncalled for nerf on an item that got soundly knocked out of insta-win tier with the initial nerf.

Eh, he still seemed to be in the insta-win tier to me, pretty much. My recommended fix would have been "3 hearts = 1 black heart", but eh.

Can we have a familiar that eats soul hearts and shits heart-masks?

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 10, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, Dark Bum is still one of the most powerful items in this game. Just not quite as ridiculous as he used to be, which suits me just fine.

Speaking of ridiculous, getting the I Am Error room in the Chest or Dark Room is kind of silly.

Where does the hole take you? If I were Edmund it'd take you to Basement/Cellar 1.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Cursed Eye needs to be buffed somehow

How about it has a 50% chance to teleport you whenever you fire, instead of 100% if you get hit while charging?

Your opinions on what needs balancing are terrible, btw.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
It'd be kinda neat if homing effects stacked, so having more of them caused stronger homing.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Trilin posted:

I modded the lost to always start with a holy mantle, so I'm kinda glad I cleaned that up before this was implemented. :shobon:

This is the lamest kind of mod, hands down.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Hahaha, according to dataminers, Experimental Treatment isn't actually "All Stats Up, Then Shuffled". It's "Random Change To All Stats Which Is Equally Likely To Be Positive Or Negative".

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Van Kraken posted:

gently caress you, game. I died to ???.

Are you playing as The Lost, or do you have Curse Of The Blind?

It occurs to me that there should be a curse that causes you to die in one hit if you're hit on that floor. In a sense, it'd balance The Lost, because whenever you got that curse, you would laugh at the game for its redundancy and its failure to inconvenience you.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

I know it's probably been mentioned a million times in this thread so far, but it bears repeating every time someone discovers this synergy.

Brimstone + Mom's Knife = HOLY loving poo poo:

You fire the knife normally, and then a moment later you fire a giant fuckoff fan of knives. Admittedly the secondary knives are weaker but you're shooting a fan of knives.

This is exactly what I think Brimstone + Dr. Fetus should do, but with bombs instead of knives. Instead I think it doesn't do anything.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Just to be evil (on top of, you know, it making sense), defeating an angel statue should substantially decrease your odds of getting an angel room instead of a devil room.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

AnonSpore posted:

Why is every suggestion you make in this thread so bad

After a point I decided people weren't appreciating my good ideas and it'd be funnier to just post my really bad ones.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Alabaster White posted:

So, to create a Monster Manuel loop for Meat Boy, you need the Manuel, the Sharp Plug, and some way of generating infinite life? Are Pyromaniac + Dr. Fetus or 2 Jera Runes with Lovers/Heirophant the only sensible combos?

Placenta's the easiest. :getin:

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I hope the next patch takes the R key out. Maybe it could even add a ten-minute cooldown after you start a new game during which you can't start another new game.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Bloody Pom posted:

Don't suppose there's a way to get a 100% save file that works with the latest patch? I am done with the Lost's bullshit.

"Dealing with bullshit to complete a goal" is otherwise known as "achieving things".

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

IUG posted:

That item would be much better if the light effect never stopped until you left the room. And less of a charge.

Maybe if it had a candle-style charge.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
NorthernLion won his first recorded Lost run, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
You shouldn't get Real Platinum God until you've seen every synergy Ed hardcoded. :unsmigghh: