Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So, I know we all talked about the Ipecac-Fetus synergy, but I found some items that can make it even more deadly. Fire Mind, Halo of Flies, Inner Eye, and Mom's Eye left me shooting giant masses of Bob's Heads that, nine times out of ten, detonated on my person and left a bunch of harmless (to me) flames behind. It did enough damage to one-shot both Adversaries in a double Adversary room, and I never took damage unless the explosions launched me into something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

ChibiSoma posted:

Nothin' like losing a Brimstone/Holy Mantle run because you drew Red Mom and her inconsistent loving stomps. PS4 version doesn't have a quick restart feature, either, so Lost runs are even more fun! They claimed it was because they ran out of buttons, but I don't see anything mapped to L3/R3 so :iiam:

Godspeed. I haven't hit the right combination of items to go for them myself. Getting those and finding Godhead are all that's keeping me from RPG.

Putting reset and primary movement / firing so close to each other strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Similarly, non-red chests in the Dark Room also guarantee spawns. Guppy's Tail got me some very nice last minute bonuses.

If only there was some sort of Right Hand trinket to undo the red chests in the Dark Room.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've had Soy Milk and Brimstone and it is utter garbage, though you could salvage it with Ludovico and the Mulligan/Guppy mode.

If Soy Milk interacted with Dr. Fetus by making you poo poo out a stream of tiny bombs that would be kind of funny, even if it would end up in your death 99/100 times.

It does with Ipecac from what I remember, so doing the same for Fetus would be incredible albeit terrifying.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Do people typically pick up 9 Lives or leave it unless it's cat item #3? I almost always skip it because I am a big dumb babby that hates having only one heart.

Usually I either have a disgustingly high soul heart barrier or use it to routinely scam Satan. If I'm not planning on doing either of those, I aggressively ignore it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You can pick up Libra before Soy Milk for the same effect? I always assumed you had to pick up soy milk and then libra would balance it later.

Libra doesn't just balance on pickup, but balances all throughout the game as well. Its part of why its controversial, since it can make a string of bad stat-ups workable or a string of good stat-ups much worse.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Sebbe posted:

Are you sure about this? I do believe the ones I bolded give specific heart drops, and not non-specific ones, and thus shouldn't depend on the room they're used in.

By specific heart drops, I mean, they'll always give one precise type of heart. You won't pop a Lovers card and have a chance for one of the hearts to be a half red heart, or soul heart; they're always two full red hearts. Much like how The Hierophant always produces soul hearts.

When you shoot a poop, however, you can get a half red heart, a full red heart, a soul heart, etc... That's a non-specific heart drop.

The room simply forces every non-specific heart drop to be an eternal heart drop.

(The same trick works on the super secret room that contains a black heart; any non-specific heart spawn in that room becomes a black heart.)

I'd love to be proven wrong, though, but that's just my understanding of the situation.

Oh, yeah. I was just doing it for science, really. Blank Card + A Card Against Humanity + Petrified used in large rooms is a good source of soul hearts.

I'm thinking it could be useful in another run, though.

I think the specific flags for room heart drops override the specific flags for cards and items.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Having optional Superbosses seems like an interesting idea and fits this head's complaints of not having an actual hard mode, imo. Duke of Flies could use a bit of balancing but The Hollow seemed okay enough.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kurtofan posted:

Is this really what Vanilla Isaac looked like? I played a lot of it and never realized how ugly it was.

I used to be very against the sprites. Now I'm seeing the uneven lines, lifeless levels, dissonance between levels and characters, and suddenly realizing what people meant by lovely newgrounds flash game look.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
If you guys thought the Duke of Flies was was bad, check The Husk. He's got two sets of eternal flies guarding him!

Also double-jumping double-firing crossshot Widow, gattling gun fat flies, four flies conjoined at once, clots that fire Monstro-style shot patterns, and an absolutely terrible 6-eyed Peep. Some of these are just obscene. Although at least this version of Peep apparently has destroyable eyes.

I can't tell if I want stuff like this incorporated into Isaac's hard mode or not. Some of it seems legitimately like a fun challenge, others just seem brutal for brutal's sake.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Codiekitty posted:

Also awesome is the splitting Monstro. Because getting Envy on the first floor isn't enough of a "gently caress you".

If the Monstro has the same HP as usual, or even reduced, it isn't too bad. Its basically a new dimension of challenge that makes you rethink how you fight Monstro. Same with the Widow, or the Hollow, or even the Peep if its eyes can be destroyed.

poo poo like the Duke of Flies, though, doesn't change anything about how the fight flows. It just slows the game down.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Skaw posted:

Agreed, but containers aren't required to be full until you need them to be for their required gambles and soul/sin hearts can be used to split the difference for full health challenge rooms. It's pretty simple to skip over dropped red hearts, and avoid items that passively recover them.

But then you just have currency and no health to show for it. Its better for devil deals, but worse for practically anything else.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Soho Joe posted:

Savior Mod is a thing. It adds/replaces a lot of stuff; new characters, new rooms, mini-shops, new places to take devil deals, boss rooms have hazards. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty fun until the real expansion drops.

The redesigned boss in the Dark Room is now a double room with The Lamb, Mom, and Mom's Heart :magical:

Edit: New characters own, they feel like Challenge runs but with item rooms, and the replacement for The Lost is amazing. He starts with Lord of the Pit, Holy Mantle, Dad's Key, and Stigmata i.e. actual compensation for the whole 0 HP thing.

That'd be interesting to check out, but I might wait on a fully up-to-date feature list first so I'd know what I'm getting into. Anyone know where one could be found?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

IMJack posted:

Much more likely to get that weird double Pentagram bonus for Devil/Angel Room spawns.

Imagine finding Diplopia in the first room of the Chest when you have a D6.

The main trick is that you can't use D6 before Dilpopia simultaneously, because if you reroll the Diplopia will also be rerolled.

But while you can't re-roll until you get items you want to double, you can turn 3 mediocre items into 6 great pieces of reroll fuel. Throw in the Jera and profit!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Manatee Cannon posted:

All you'd have to do is pick up Diplopia first. Then you'd have two of everything else, including twin D6.

I hope Hive Mind stacks because Guppy mode would be even more hilarious

Exactly. Up to 3 rerolls before Diplopia, 7 with Dilpopia (gotta pick that dice up first), and like 14 if you Jera the chests before opening them.

It's kind of terrifying how much power that is.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That'd work even better with the hood you get with Ceremonial Robes

That would be an interesting, thematic challenge. ???, Robes, Scythe, Knife. Risky weapon on a character with no permanent HP.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Anyone else have problems importing? The note when you start a new run is only displaying half of what I actually accomplished, and I'm not sure if this means my secrets and unlocks will be importing weirdly as well.

I might just start brand-new if this is the case.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

CJacobs posted:

Aww lame, Lilith's starting companion shoots tears at a normal firerate with nothing special (that I can see anyway). They really may as well have just made her able to shoot tears.

I think she does. I picked up Soy Milk during the daily challenge and they started shooting soy milk.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, the companion takes on whatever tear abilities you would normally have. It's functionally the same, which is disappointing.

Oh, you meant its a shame that's all the companion does.

I mean, she also has the Friend Box, right? Being able to double your tear output is a very interesting element to her gameplay.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

CJacobs posted:

She doesn't have the friend box. I guess they went back on that decision because she doesn't start with any items at all.

edit: Or maybe you have to unlock it so that she starts with it, I dunno.

She did for the daily challenge, at least. Hopefully its an unlock because otherwise she just seems kind of like Slightly Different Isaac.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
So what do the new slots on the card represent? I'm guessing Ultra Greed and Hush are two, but I haven't seen thing about a third. Did they finally make Mega Satan count, or are there just more secrets to be found?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Do bosses just not drop hearts anymore on hard? Its kind of demoralizing fighting an even tougher version of Dingle on the first floor and getting jack-poo poo to heal with after.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
After playing this for a while, I've decided its Wrath of the Lamb style difficulty ramp-up without Wrath of the Lamb style ridiculous item additions. Also Burning Basement is way more irritating than The Cellar, if only because at least The Cellar didn't have such annoying floor length.

Really, I'd be fine with the expansion with a few nerfs. Like throwing Dangle and Rag Man the hell out of the Basement boss pool. Even as someone who didn't mind Dingle, gently caress Dangle.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Nerfing the Box of Friends works in Greed Mode but is still kinda broken AND basically makes Lilith one of the worst characters in normal play, it didn't fix any problems and made more of them instead.

I maintain a better way to nerf lilith would have been to just tweak her stats a bit, maybe start her with less damage, and negative luck like Lazarus - less pickups like money and hearts to force smarter play with familiars.

Making the Box of Friends not stack could be one method of balancing it out in Greed Mode but not breaking it in regular play, but honestly I'd rather not lose easier Boss Rush clears and Meat Boy completions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Oxyclean posted:

So now he's underpowered and always the same regardless of what you get. This feels like the worst place you can put a character because now they're totally reliant on getting something worthwhile.

I guess Cain is really the only remaining character that starts with decent offense?

Nah, Cain's been weak for a while. It's always felt like Judas, Azazel, or bust for tough guy starts.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I just beat Mom's Heart in under 30 minutes as Lilith, and the Blue Womb door didn't open. I'm kind of confused and annoyed, especially because I was on a really good run with her so far.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Was it Mom's Heart or It Lives!? Because you needed to have unlocked the Blue Baby, which also unlocks the Blue Womb.

Is that what they changed it to? drat, if I knew that I would've just taken the devil room door to Sheol.

I may have went in and out of the Devil Room to see if that was messing with the Blue Room flag first, and in the process closed it. So I kinda messed myself up there.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Rorus Raz posted:

99 coins and greed machine spawns on the loving chest

I am so over this.

Try exiting and re-opening.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Anchors posted:

Not entirely true. If Eden herself starts with Diplopia, you could still get another copy in the store.

So you need Eden's blessings to get Diplopia to get many copies of Eden's Blessing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think the black skeletons are better than the white ones because they at least stand still for long periods of time and blow up nearby enemies when dying.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

HenryEx posted:

You don't always have that, sadly

On that note, i am honestly amazed how the two starting items for the Lost are actually directly working against each other - since the addition of the D4 did a lot to make the Lost play interesting and give you solid chances to turn these useless HP Up and other items into stuff that actually does work for you, giving you a real incentive to tough out slow starts, take (currently) useless items and actually use that D4 you will never use on any other character instad of holding R until Mantle or Dead Cat
And then you can unlock Holy Mantle, which makes the D4 not only useless, but YOUR BIGGEST ENEMY and every game from now on is a race to find another Active item to replace it with before you accidentally use it and irredeemably gently caress your run. So now you're stuck with the slow starts again, no more last-ditch rerolls if you got 3 HP up items in a row to get something usable out of it. It makes the character simultaneously better and worse.

It's kinda genius, and by genius i mean gently caress

These days, it feels like the point is to go Super Saiyan during a final boss fight after getting hit once.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

JVNO posted:

I personally think the filter looks awful. My only critique about the new art style is the inconsistency in ending cutscenes. I'd be happy if they actually updated the last few holdovers from the flash version (the chest ending I think? With the Polaroids stacked one after another? It looks really bad.) but they really ought to have kept it all in the faux GBA style, even endings.

I'm pretty sure the ending cutscene art changed again for the new Hush and Greed Mode endings, right?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheModernAmerican posted:

What does this do other than flip your heart containers into soul hearts and back? Maybe with an IV bag you could get infinite money?

Guppy's Paw turns 1 heart into 3 souls, and Soul Converter converts 2 souls into 1 heart. Its basically a free ticket to max life.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

VineST posted:

you can already modify character starting items, but yeah, you have to replace an existing character

Is the official mod support going to allow inserting instead of replacing? If so I can only imagine the huge, MUGEN-esque abominations the roster turns into.

And I can't wait.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Gromit posted:

I've only just noticed that platinumgod has an item list for Antibirth now.

Once they get it compatible with Afterbirth it's basically officially endorsed freeLC, isn't it?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

FPzero posted:

And yet the Pong challenge is super easy to clear as long as you're careful with your shots. Man, I've only played a little of the new dlc so far but it feels like a major step back from Afterbirth normal's balance.

Heck, maybe its just me, but Afterbirth felt like a bit of a step back from Rebirth too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I kinda wish Samson just used a version of his original Bloody Lust that persisted through floors. It'd be more interesting than just being Eve V2, IMO.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
They could change it again so if used 5 times in a single room it breaks. That's probably more fair, but even then would prevent stuff like redos against Hush.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

IUG posted:

I keep on hoping for a Binding Of Isaac: Redemption expansion that ends with Issac escaping the house, and making it to his father's house. The father calls child protective services on the wife, gets her arrested, and Isaac gets help from his father/therapy. Seeing as the father left because his wife went crazy, and the father items in the game seem to be helpful, I kept expecting him to finally get saved in that way.

Let's be honest. Knowing how dark and messed up Isaac is, that ending would be the dad not giving a crap about any of it. Or turning out to be merely negligent instead of flat-out malicious like the mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Carpator Diei posted:

Also a blog post, but it doesn't really mention anything new. It does have this nice sentence, though:
"we just want all of its features to be perfect and testing to be a bit more in-depth than our last little release that will go unnamed."

Man, I'm kinda sad Bum-bo got thrown under the bus so hard. I know it ended up kind of very flabby and half baked, but I still wish a gem could be polished out of it with some TLC.