Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Guys chill. Just turn on the flash graphical filter if you want the old Newgrounds style.

I doubt it's going to be the same as playing with things done in the original art style. It's probably just going to look like what happens if you play any older game on an emulator with a smoothing filter, i.e poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Brasseye posted:

look at the pictures of the smooth filter on the isaac dev blog. it looks a million times better the old game.

Do you have a link? Because that dev blog is like dozens of pages of unrelated poo poo that I'm not really too willing to filter through. I'd like to see how it actually looks since I'm not big on the pixel-art style either but filters in my experience usually just make it look like you're playing the normal game only it looks like someone rubbed vaseline on the camera lens.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ariong posted:

I don't know how to link directly to it, but it's on the second page, four posts down. Also, you should really skim through the blog at least because there are some amazing gifs in there.

I was on the wrong blog, whoops.

Thanks, but yeah I'm gonna say my initial assessment was on point, it looks basically the same. I'm still stoked for this game and all and it does have a lot of good visual tweaks to make it look better and more dynamic than the original but I just do not care for the artstyle at all. The filter isn't really the solution I wanted either.

i'll deal with it but blech I don't like it, this has been your regularly scheduled complaining about things I don't like, carry on.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 3, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

VideoGames posted:

looking at the gorgeous blue floor tiles, and watching that video with monstro's lung + extra items I honestly cannot understand why anyone would dislike this art style. its taken every last thing about the original and improved it.

It looks better than the original by virtue of better tech running under the hood, but I still don't like the artstyle.

The two things are somewhat divorced from one another.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

flatluigi posted:

If you liked the original and think the new art is better I don't understand how you don't like the new art.

It is technically a better looking game, this much is fact. I do not like the new style artistically, I just generally ain't that fond of the blockier style. I don't think this is a complicated opinion.

anyway the actual point was the saying of "anyone who liked the old artstyle can just use the filters!". This isn't actually true because a filter is a filter, and filters look like rear end. This isn't like a huge dealbreaker for me or anything, just saying.

Clever Spambot posted:

I didn't actually read and comprehend your post but i also strongly disagree with it.

lol

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 4, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Thanks for a great contribution to this discussion.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Scratch-O posted:

I am trying to have a deep and insightful debate about the mediocre art style of the hosed up crying baby game, DAD

all fun and games until someone has a minor quibble that you don't agree with, right

Logan 5 posted:

Can't you just say that the aesthetic doesnt feel the same to you? That seems more clear than whatever it is you are saying

No, because that doesn't actually properly convey my opinion. That's actually somehow even vaguer and less helpful, I don't dislike it because its not the same, I dislike it pretty much because I don't like the blocky pixel-art look. But on the technical end of things, the graphics look significantly better, I just don't dig the change of art style that went with these improvements. I submit that I'm grappling with concepts I definitely do not have the vocabulary to properly express to explain myself and that it's pretty petty poo poo anyway, so I think I we can stop.

HOW ABOUT THAT LIGHTING drat

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I loving hate dingle all the same, his charge attack may as well be teleportation directly on top of you regardless of the one or two frames of telegraph he gets.

I thought this to be so, because I was fighting him with Maggie whose speed is so bad that dodging it was hard if not impossible. The trick I discovered was to just not shoot him while he's charging. The physics are still hosed so smacking someone with a bullet mid-charge will still cause you to knock them forward somehow which makes dodging frustrating

tear discipline is required

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I realized when I said kill yourself, that might have been seen as me being an rear end.

No, you should kill yourself in the room, not real life.

Your character is the big dumb baby.

what he is trying to say in the most roundabout way possible is that those rooms with the single spikes in them occasionally grant you stuff if you hurt yourself on the spikes. Killing yourself on them will just make you die, don't do that.

i generally never humour those rooms unless I have spare heart pickups to burn because I've never ever gotten anything worth much of a poo poo from them. Also Darth Windu just hit the wiki if you're confused, gently caress what the creator thinks of it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Color Printer posted:

I haven't unlocked Azazel because the game hasn't been cooperating with the devil deals. :saddowns:

Same. I want him bad after seeing how everyone talks about him being broken as poo poo. I have in spite of this managed to unlock Samson who I will put off playing for as long as I possibly can because playing as Samson slowly drains my will to live.

I can see why everyone's so big on Azazel though, flying is absurdly powerful on its own and starting with it is a huge boon to clearing the no damage achievements.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dunno I just spent 30 minutes unable to get a run off the loving ground because the game deigned to give me the most boring milquetoast items possible so I'd say I'm quite down with the idea of broken and overpowered poo poo kicking around because if the entire game was balanced to be around the level of what I just got dealt I wouldn't play this game out of sheer tedium

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

All of you saying that the music is worse are crazy. If you don't think that this or this (or especially this) are great I don't even know what to say.

they're alright, I'd take it as a lateral move. Although I prefer My Innermost Apocalypse over that.

Unfortunately, none of us will get to hear the music that is actually good but from way late in the game because everyone will have muted the soundtrack earlier as a result of the migraine-inducing Depths track.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

How do you drop trinkets/cards while playing on an xbox 360 controller?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

So, would I VAC ban myself by using steam achievement manager to activate The Lost and the alt+f2 to import it to BOI?

VAC is on a per-game basis and only applies to multiplayer games. You will not get vac banned from a single-player game because that doesn't make any sense. SAM isn't a thing that would even earn you a VAC ban from even multiplayer games.

I find the big warning at the header of the reddit post hilarious, people still haven't twigged how VAC bans work?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It used to ban you for unlocking stuff in TF2, but that was a long time ago and I've never heard since of anyone getting banned.

I don't think it even banned you for that, think it just screwed you out of the Cheater's Lament item, made specifically to reward those who didn't cheat for their unlocks.

as far as I know nobody has ever actually been banned over SAM, I'm pretty sure VAC has bigger fish to fry than achievement fraud.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think McMillen probably wants The Lost to be a really difficult and mysterious unlock that forces the community to work together at first. Once people have worked it out he'll probably patch it to make it easier like he did with The Chest.

Wait, what was the original chest unlock criteria?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

flatluigi posted:

Generally with big puzzles like this people work together socially to try to solve them. No, one single person wasn't meant to do every part of the puzzle themselves and you're right that it'd be stupid to assume so -- and that's why it's dumb that someone hacked the game to do it themselves instead of people working together socially and naturally.

who cares

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Atomicated posted:

Someone earlier in the thread suggested you might need to kill the two halves of gemini in both orders (big guy then small and small guy then big) to get it to trigger. Seemed like that's what did it for me.

Can confirm it tripped for me as well when I killed small guy first, I usually always kill bug guy first.

That idea definitely seems to be it. On the other hand, the Cellar sucks and I hate it so maybe put off unlocking it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ghost Head posted:

Just got a Satan kill with Ipecac. Does anyone else think it's been buffed ever so slightly? It seems to hit you less and also fly over the heads of enemies less as well

It's been buffed in a highly substantial way in that if it overlaps an enemy on the x or y axis, it'll explode and deal damage to them, z-axis be damned. Where as in the original it would only hit them when it's actually on the way down, which sucked hard against enemies that like to stick close to you.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, getting no-hit achievements with it should be fixed (along with the second-floor only bug for those),

They're not "no-hit" achievements, they're "no-damage" achievements. It ain't a bug, it's working as intended.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dizz posted:

To unlock The Lost, Must I get the kills on the players in a row? or can I have deaths in between?

They must be consecutive, no deaths inbetween. I'm given to understand you can get away with holding "R" to reset to avoid dying to something that would gently caress the chain up.

And yes, the specific order is needed.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

What is that first item?

Pentagram? It's hard to tell with the filter blurring the poo poo out of everything.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

:toot:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

Do you know if seeds work? I'm going to kill myself if I have to keep resetting for Mullibooms :shepicide:

I don't, no. I did mine proper.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Alkydere posted:

It is.

Seeded runs specifically turn off unlocks and achievements. Therefore you cannot unlock a character in them.

Actually, no. As I'm given to understand, seeds do work for unlocking The Lost provided you don't use a seed on the last run you suicide to unlock him, because seeds do disable achievements and unlocks but it won't block your The Lost unlock progress.

Source: Random posts on the internet, I did my Lost unlock without seeds so I don't actually know.

basically save the azazel run for last and do it unseeded because that guy can get to satan regardless of what you give him, like drat.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

I just unlocked something thats not even on the http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth site called an "0" baby, what the hell is that?

It's the co-op baby unlocked for beating Mom's Heart on Hard with The Lost.

Good job!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

jesus christ

i'm amazed that run made it to sheol, let alone the loving dark room. only got hit once the entire time and that was in the boss rush cause of the loving bloat. guppy's collar saved my butt from that though.

Christ, that's pretty impressive. I filled in the runs using the Dead Cat bug prior to it being patched but somehow I'm surprised someone's already done all that poo poo legit.

Got any...advice for The Lost, I guess? If I ever attempted to do The Lost legit, I think I'd just re-roll the first room constantly until I got like Holy Mantle or something.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

rubber cement looks more like a jar of peanut butter, ipecac more like a jar of nutella.

I cannot tell the two apart which as led to a lot of "poo poo, I shouldn't have picked that up" moments. Ipecac is a lot better now but sometimes I'd rather just not risk the suicide potential.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

goddamnit I laughed

this joke is how loving old and I still find it funny

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Exactly.

It'd also be nice if The Lost consumed Eden Tokens.

that would be terrible and Eden Tokens in general are kinda dumb and are a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Without them people would just startscum for a good combo, the token system means that you want to take every Eden run seriously and try to make the best of what you're given.

People would just startscum for a good combo, you're right. But people do that already for every other character who isn't limited by tokens. I just reset if I get something like beans on the first floor with anyone. I find it kind of odd that they chose to fix that kind of start scumming poo poo with just one character.

i mean I don't hate the idea I just find it kinda weird

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CJacobs posted:

That sentence applies to all of the curses except maybe curse of the blind because there's no way to know what you're picking up until you do it, so I'm really not sure what you're getting at.

Curse of the Blind forces a strategy change. The strategy of either knowing what item pool you're pulling from and thus how likely it is to be an item that'll gently caress your run, or the strategy of deciding if blindly picking something up is worth the risk.

it's risk management I guess and much of the skill of Isaac is that so it's pretty fitting.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

what

WHAT!?

this changes everything, I hope they dont fix this

It's not a bug. The devil room is a shop of sorts, so it just makes sense that the credit card would work there.

just one of those things that you wouldn't think to try but makes total sense after the fact

e; I mean, I don't know maybe it is a bug but it doesn't sound like a bug at any rate

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

holy poo poo solar system is so slow and boring

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Magres posted:

E: Just found a really scummy trick with Holy Mantle. Any time you get hit and lose your Mantle protection, save and quit and hit continue. You'll start the room over with Mantle refreshed.

oh wow lol

Congratulations on discovering the easiest method to do The Lost and no-hit achievements.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Except The Lost dies if you try and continue a run in progress with him since the game considers him dead due to having no hearts.

That does not actually seem to be true anymore. I remember this definitely being true when I tried to pull the Infinite Curse Room bug with The Lost and summarily died for some mysterious reason.

but I tried to quit and continue just now and it worked just fine. Can't actually do the infinite curse room bug anymore mind you but still.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

the unlocks from the lost are only required for true platinum god. normal platinum god is everything but, so honestly people can probably just go for platinum if they want to and leave it at that if they really don't care to do lost-related junk.

yeah but one of his unlocks "The Mind" is super cool and I'd want to have that in my runs. The rest of his unlocks are ok but The Mind is worth having in your pool. Truth be told I'm not big on gating unlocks behind that character, I'm not really sold on a forced no-hit run in a game where certain bosses, enemies and room layouts are just "Hey, here's some free damage!"

i abused the dead cat bug while it was still a thing and I don't regret poo poo

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Genocyber posted:

The lack of drops on Hard is something I really like as a good + interesting way of making it harder as opposed to something like enemy damage being multiplied.

I don't find this to be either good or interesting, it usually just forces me to restart on Basement 2 for lack of keys to open the item room more frequently.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Genocyber posted:

I'm not saying to "git gud," I'm saying to not be a big baby and quit when the RNG in a game based on random generation deals you a bad hand. Otherwise there's no point in playing.

I'm not quitting, I'm re-rolling the RNG for a better hand. gently caress, it's not even a better hand. Getting no key drops is like being dealt no cards in the first place. Like, I can't work with that. I'd rather just shitcan the run and try again.

also lol at this "if you don't play the game my way why are you even playing the game" logic. It's a game based on random generation sure but normally that just means a great variety of things to see and do, said randomness can and will just gently caress you sometimes. I'm not even mad when it does this, it's the nature of the beast, just try again and go for a better roll this time.

the reason why I dislike hard mode is it just makes it more likely for the rng to work against you in the most boring way possible by just denying you the opportunity to powerup. That just isn't interesting.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I got the negative in a challenge, am I going to have to beat the dark room after beating Sheol? This is Darkness Falls challenge.

I don't think any of the challenges go further than either Cathedral or Sheol, so no.