Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Volt Catfish posted:

They nerf Cain, buff Samson, and keep Eve the (same) shittiest character. Makes no drat sense.
Samson was actually worse than Eve because bloodlust was not only lovely, but a special item, so he had way lower chance of getting other special items. Makes a little sense.

Internet Kraken posted:

What the hell does this even do? It doesn't have any effect I can see.
You get golden chests all the drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's no achievement for beating cathedral/sheol/chest without taking damage, right?

dis astranagant posted:

Is Pyromaniac for player bombs only or does it work on things like trollbombs, exploding blocks and puke shots?
It definitely works for your own puke bombs, at the very least. Pyromania+ipecac is possibly the best thing in the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Flergatron 3000 posted:

Protip: if you use Judas' Shadow as ??? you actually don't get credit for killing Mom's Heart or Satan. Judas might get credit but I've already cleared both those bosses with him so I don't know.
It does give Judas the credit.

By the way, what happens if you get guilotine, and then use the Pinking Shears?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bluurrurhguh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2qQQ2tsdM

that's Lamb beaten with no damage upgrades whatsoever I suppose :downsgun:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alkydere posted:

Man, Ringworm is a horrid trinket to use when you don't have any other shot buffs. High speed shots, quad shots, lasers, brimstone, I imagine they work rather well with Ringworm (and I know high speed orbital shots work hilariously well with Ringworm) but it's horrible on the Basement/Cellar if you don't have anything fancy going on.
Luckily you can drop trinkets by holding control.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I fully explore every single floor (aside from womb) because there might be more items! Then of course I spend time looking at the map trying to figure out the best places to waste my bombs in hopes of finding secret rooms. Then if I have spare bombs I look at all the rocks to see if they have items hidden inside and...yeah :shepface:
Just play as azazel and don't bother with anything but rushing to the boss each floor

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also there's somehow people who dislike charge-shot items in this thread, so I submit for your consideration an under 3-minute chest run where everything gets shat on by polyphemus+whore of babylon+monstro's tooth, and ??? gets killed in 4 hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdwS-vxjOkY

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
with that build-up I was really hoping the spoiled text would just be 'im gay'

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Read posted:

Well, the super top secret character, "The Lost" is unlocked by doing something related to that. We're not sure what.
Hopefully it's doing it with every character :twisted:

Honestly it's a little hosed how it seemed that they'd learned their lesson with regards the polaroid originally being a rare drop, but still required for getting to the chest until they changed it to always spawn... and now they've basically gone back the other on the bullshit with how to fight mega-satan
where first you need to have beaten the chest, and then you need to
a). play through the game never taking devil deals so that you can still get into angel rooms
b). get lucky enough to get the angel rooms
c). get lucky enough to get one angel boss, and then the other, in the same run in those very limited angel rooms
d). finally make it to the chest

It's just so ridiculously situational and luck-based. It's exactly the same problem all over again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's also just the way PC gaming(and code between different kinds of computers in general) loving works. It sucks that it doesn't work for everyone, but, yeah, sometimes things literally just don't work on certain systems and there's not much you can do about it.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Edit: And check both the steam forums and people complaining in this thread. That's not counting those who keep silent and/or just mail the devs. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying hundreds of people are suffering from this issue. I keep saying this because there's assholes who keep claiming "only a handful" of people are having problems.
In the context of a game as popular as this, hundreds is indeed "only a handful".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carbon dioxide posted:

The whole problem is that Tyrone is now saying they might not be able to fix it.
That's probably because they might genuinely not be able to fix it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
anyways I think that Proptosis+mom's knife may be even more powerful than polyphemus/mom's knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukbxFaPfiE

I'd love to get all three at once sometime.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can be annoyed, obviously, but acting as if the game was just shat out in an awful state is just not true. Basically just-

dis astranagant posted:

Someone forgot that Intel Graphics still didn't support years old standards in the year of our lord two thousand ten. Probably forgot that Intel even does graphics because their first decent offering is barely 2 years old. Good luck getting someone to rewrite their graphics engine to accommodate one manufacturer's 4+ year old hardware in less than a week.
-and avoiding at least some weird problems like that when making a game is more or less impossible. At some point, lovely old hardware is gonna get left behind and it's just not worth it to try and make a game work on literally every system, it simply is not going to happen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
[spoilers ahead]

So, I've been filling out the completion cards for each character one by one. I'd been putting off Eve since she's my least favorite character, but once I got around to going for a chest run I ended up well-off enough to go for an attempt at Mega Satan. I didn't know anything at all about the boss beforehand, so it was kind of a wild ride.
I used a goofy Broken Remote+How to Jump combo to infinitely teleport right to Isaac, beat him easy, and then went right to Mega Satan. And then got creamed.

But, I respawned with Guppy's Collar, so then I went and cleared the rest of the chest to get some soul hearts as well as a lucky Sun card drop, and I was able to go back and try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsg760G2m6Q

My offense wasn't too strong, but I had the patterns mostly learned and had the Wafer. Didn't end up needing the Sun card at all, just finished him off by going Eve super-saiyan on my last heart. :black101:

This boss is the best boss. This is my favorite boss in the game. The patterns are great, the visuals are great, everything's great. It's everything that a final boss should be in this game. Apparently some builds(items that spawn things?) can crash it but I'm not even mad, it's super fun and I'm really glad I beat it the first time I went for it(albeit on a second life).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Einwand posted:

Mega Satan is cool and I'm kind of disappointed there was nothing locked behind killing him but an ending. I don't think you even get credit for the chest/dark room for killing him instead if you're trying to unlock stuff.
It does do one thing, though:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

NoUU posted:

Has anyone fought Mega Satan after the patch? Does it not crash anymore?
It worked absolutely fine for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it just me or is Cain garbage with the lucky foot changes? He and Samson both feel significantly worse in Rebirth.
Samson is way better because he doesn't have the special items problem, he has more HP, and his damage boost seems to be better as well.
Cain is somewhat worse but I like luck as a stat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cricket's body+the parasite+rubber bullets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnVQhjp_edg

:supaburn:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

something posted:

So I'm considering buying this game but I heard somewhere that it's absolutely poo poo with keyboard controls. Is that true in any way?
gently caress no. I like keyboard way more than controller.

drunken officeparty posted:

Are the stats bars in the pause menu just approximations? Like, is there a 3.5 damage or something, or is a 3 always the same exact 3?
They were in the first game and they almost certainly are in this one as well. Lots of things gave and probably still gives weird numbers, like +0.7 of a stat.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ChibiSoma posted:

That area's nuts. I ran into a big room that had like three Super Wraths and about a half dozen regular ones! That's way worse than the Chest!
I've actually ran into that exact room on the Chest as well. I think it's largely the same level of difficulty, and I'd say ??? is probably a little harder than the lamb.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Does soy milk work at all when you already have polyphemus, or does it still set damage to basically nothing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The Haunt is easy tho. You just move back and forth with it and switch directions before getting right near the wall so it can't box you in with brimstone

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah they just run at you and make creep. When the devil guys break free the room goes dark.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sokani posted:

Or if you find a dice room. Goodbye, lovely Eve items.
whore of babylon is pretty dang good tho and giving it up is giving up her only advantage
that's not worth getting rid of dead bird imo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Beat ??? and Mega-Satan in the same run :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c32OcF4Le8w
Hadn't seen that rainbow-fire attack before. Not too hard though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I dunno why people have had trouble with the Purist challenge, in my experience it's pretty easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCt0b22EXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044lMYoQSKY

e: this was literally my first try as well getting carried is a pretty good strategy

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 10, 2014

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
which, for the record, is stupid

stats screen should tell me how many times I've beaten postgame bosses

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

drunken officeparty posted:

What does "tears up/down" actually mean? Is it every tear related stat like range/damage/shot speed in one?

And what does faith up/down do?
'Tears' is firing speed.
Faith increases the chance of finding an Angel Room and also increases Soul Heart drops(pretty sure).
Evil/sin increases chance for Devil Rooms and Black Heart drops, decreases chance for Angel room or Soul Heart drops(pretty sure).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Only if you run into them, they're just meatshields/things to keep the bouncing skulls alive.

By the way apparently ipecac sets your tear damage stat really really high alongside making them explode, so if you get tech 2 afterwards you just shred enemies. Especially if you also become guppy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
In the original flies did double the damage of your tears and it's probably the same here. I'm not positive about spiders, they may be stronger.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There is one for chest/dark room but it's broken so you can't get it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I wasn't 100% clear on what was going on throughout a lot of this run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFs68yeizc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

In other news cursed eye is actually a really good item (as long as you don't get hit)
iirc it only tele's you if you get hit while charging so just, be smart

Alabaster White posted:

Warping you across the map is such a harsh penalty for such a minor boost, though. Especially when you're fighting a boss, get nicked, and have to redo the whole fight. It could do pretty much anything else and it would stop being such a catastrophically bad item.
it's loving baller with quad shot though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sacrifice rooms blow. Curse rooms rule.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I feel like it's basically always worth it pre-womb, to be honest. I never pass up curse rooms, you've got a pretty drat good chance of if not getting a devil item/getting tele'd to the devil room, just straight-up gaining health from spirit/sin hearts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno, I tend to go for the soul/evil heart batteries and treat my regular hearts as currency for the devil rooms. Demon buddy drops a soul heart with each regular heart he takes, and that's fantastic to me.
This is how you should always play the game. Damage is far more valuable and scarce than HP, and soul/sin hearts become more and more equal to heart containers in worth the later in the game you get(and also polaroid invincibility is still really strong!)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

maev posted:

Not flash-lagging into mobs occasionally certainly made it easier.
also that one character who starts with flight and an attack with high enough damage to one-shot most enemies and trivialize most bosses

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turpitude posted:

when I press space bar, blank card duplicates all of the hundreds of keys and batteries on the floor. since you can't pick up a battery when already full on energy, isaac gets flung around like a pinball between all the batteries as they jostle for position
there may have been a slight oversight in making an item that duplicates consumables when there's a consumable that recharges items fully :shepface:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

I just lost a Maggie run at Satan because I literally found zero speed ups the entire time and couldn't outrun all the bomb leeches in his third form :negative:
Outrun?
move diagonally bro why would you outrun them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Disgusting Coward posted:

They should totally put in a character whose "thing" is that they can choose their items. Not, like, from the entire pool, that'd be insane, but maybe a choice of 3 each item room?
Not that exactly but I'd love a "you get a bunch of money, can use that money to buy whatever items you want(until you run out of course), then survive as long as you can in an arena"-type mode. that'd be a dlc I'd shell out money for

Disgusting Coward posted:

EDIT: Also, Meat Boy is retarded now. Motherfucker just runs hither and yon like a dild.
that ain't different at all

Magres posted:

Yah the trick to beating Leg Day Satan is to never, ever stop moving diagonally.
Personally what I do is move slowly horizontally across the low wall shooting backwards as his legs come down, then move diagonally from that lower corner to an upper one once bomb worms come, move horizontally across the upper wall until leeches come, move diagonally back down to lower wall etc. etc.