Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to keep stuff like that in the game just for kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
A soul heart also can't be replenished like regular health can, so if you know you're not really in danger of actually dying (ie: if you have thousands of hours in the game and can beat most floors while only taking a hit or two) then it's better to beat the floor with your normal health, refill it if you need to with any hearts that are lying around, then grab the soul hearts before moving on.

That way any incidental damage you took doesn't really matter, rather than potentially wasting a soul heart if you walked into a room with a bad layout or something.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the pre-load seems to have gone live(~310MB).

\/\/ ~10am PST tomorrow

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 3, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mean you'll probably be able to do that with Cheat Engine after all the values get found in a week or two, although that obviously kind of defeat the entire purpose of achievements.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
No one threatened to kill Gabe on twitter again, did they?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jibo posted:

Playing this game. :woop:

:siren::toot::siren:

e: IT'S SO SMOOTH

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
First item blood of the martyr. Thank you based game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jibo posted:

Wait are there no resolution options? Looks kinda fuzzier than it should be on my big rear end tv.

You can manually resize the window by dragging a corner if you don't want to go full screen.

e: I keep finding batteries. They would recharge an item if I had one I take it?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Found Brimstone :woop:

e: Almost have max damage as well. Crazy first run so far.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

dis astranagant posted:

Rebirth music status: :getin:
Rebirth sound effect status: :frogout:

The sound effect and animation for firing off Brimstone is fantastic.

No brim-snapping though, rip broken OP glitch :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man, one of the new buddies follows you around and lays down a sticky trail that slows everything, while also apparently spitting out blue spiders at random(?) intervals which track and do damage. It's pretty awesome.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Disgusting Coward posted:

First run.
First mom kill.
Yes sir.

:):respek::)

Just got it as well. Brimstone + a bunch of damage upgrades + slowdown buddy was pretty easy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What do the black hearts do by the way? I got a bunch of them on my run but was too overwhelmed with new stuff to notice what the effect was whenever they occasionally "triggered".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man Mom's Heart is no joke now. Bullet hell combined with constant spawns. Was doing ok but not having any damage bonuses really hurt and eventually took too many hits and died.

/\/\ haha yuuup

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a way to transfer my save file/stats/unlocks over to another computer? I'm going to play this game on my PC and laptop and while I don't mind having two separate games going I'd rather just have one big file to make unlocking stuff faster/easier. I'm ok with having to copy stuff over every time, but I can't find any obvious SavedGame1.file anywhere and Steam doesn't seem to want to sync anything.

e: Nvm found it. There was just nothing in documents because I was checking on my PC where I haven't actually played yet, and thus haven't created the save files that are there on my laptop. Problem hopefully solved.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 4, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just got the super boss run room and loving crushed it. Max damage + max fire rate + the thing that splits your tears up, and one of the 4 options in the boss room was Poly. Don't think any boss lasted more than like 10 seconds. Game owns.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man Azazel is fun as hell, just a totally different game than running around with Isaac. Mini-brim is great in that it guarantees you already do enough damage to kill bosses/enemies quickly, but makes you work for it.

Best part, I managed to unlock Maggy with him :psyduck: Ended up getting like 5 heart container powerups from various judgment babies that I kept running into.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sorry if this has been mentioned (day 1 thread moves way too fast like always) but the awesome BoI site http://platinumgod.co.uk/ has started to fill out its visual item wiki with Rebirth stuff. Just check the little "Rebirth?" box/slider at the top right of the site.

Actually, http://platinumgod.co.uk/ should probably just :siren: go in the OP :siren: since it's useful as hell.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PostNouveau posted:

The challenge you unlock when you get a Guppy run is nuts. It's called Cat Got Your Tongue, and you play as Guppy, but blindfolded, so no tears. All you have the attack is Guppy's Hairball trailing you, the flies that spawn from you occasionally, and 1-4 attack flies each room from Guppy's Head.

Solar System's even harder. You're flying+blindfolded and have to kill everything with a bunch of orbiting attack flies.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ariong posted:

Could someone please tell me the name of the item that is teleporting me into a random room every time I get hit as Eve so that I can write its name down on a piece of paper and then throw that piece of paper into a volcano?? That poo poo is beyond irritating.

I know the cursed skull trinket teleports you back a room to save you from dying occasionally, but that doesn't sound like what you're experiencing.

Pause your game and look at what items you have on the left of the screen, then try to look what each one does on http://platinumgod.co.uk/ maybe?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Managed to get Mama's boy (beat womb without taking damage) before getting the ones for caves and depths lol. Such a fun feeling when you get a couple of really key items late and suddenly steamroll the game halfway through a run.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fancy Hat! posted:

Really wish the item collection screen told you what they did after collecting them instead just a picture. Was hoping they would have utilized some sort of in-game wiki knowing how the first went, but ah well, game's still pretty fun.

At least the item descriptions are actually helpful this time around and straight up say stuff like "HP+, -run speed" instead of being vague. Still, you can use http://platinumgod.co.uk/ until you learn what everything does.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Finally found IPECAC. Hello old friend :allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh man, they basically fixed IPECAC so it isn't a suicide machine anymore. It's so drat good now :stare:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man, do you guys have any tips for starting? Should I stick with Isaac or try to unlock someone else? I've been using Cain but it doesn't seem worthwhile if his Lucky Foot is nerfed.
Just stick with Isaac for now. Don't be afraid to just keep restarting (hold the R key) if your first item is bad until you get a decent damage boost or one of the better survival/defensive items. Past that it's mostly just about learning enemy patterns and getting used to the game. Just take it slow and focus on trying to not get hit, as obvious as that sounds.

Kuros posted:

Does Rebirth have Steam Cloud saves or will I have to transfer a save to my htpc?
Yeah there are cloud saves, works fine switching between my PC and laptop.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Your Computer posted:

Azazel in general seems to be the way to go if you want no-hit achievements. Not having to rely on RNG to give you flight in order to avoid certain guaranteed-damage-rooms really helps.

Yeah the only damage one I had trouble with was the caves, because that's soon enough that you don't have time to stack a bunch of really useful defensive items, so you have to go with mostly pure dodging ability. Kept choking and getting hit by the dumbest stuff like clearing out an entire room only to accidentally bump into a campfire in the corner.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Megasabin posted:

Just got into a devil room on a really good run, and don't recognize two of the items. Can anyone fill me in so I know what they do?

1. The item icon is the bloody torso of those regular zombie enemies that just leave behind their torso after you shoot their head off
2. Just a red piece of paper with black writing on it. Looks like the contract from the first game, but it's red.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/ is really helpful for that kind of stuff, shouldn't be more than another day or two before it's completely filled out as it's been getting updated regularly as (I'm assuming) whoever runs it unlocks all the stuff and confirms what it does.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SuicideSnowman posted:

Man I'm really starting to hate those enemies in the womb that hide underground, pop up in a random location and fire 3 shots at you. I've had a couple runs in a row ended by them.
Yeah those things can be real assholes. They have a real lovely tendency to pop up like a foot away from you, so if you're moving to dodge some other thing's shots you run into them before you can even react.

Your Computer posted:

Lumps. Am I right in that in the original game they wouldn't spawn directly underneath you? Not only that, they can also spawn right next you to and instantly shoot you now. Every room with them seems to be pure RNG up to whether you get hit or not :(
In the original they would spawn away from you and try to shoot you. Those guys are still in, there's just the annoying extra aggressive version now as well.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 6, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ghost Head posted:

Also does anyone know what happens if you have azazel with that ludovico thing and shielded tears?

You get a free win.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Logan 5 posted:

I've kept it a few times now.

I still have no idea what it does :v:

It's a co-op item apparently. Chance to get a black heart if your buddy takes damage.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kaethela posted:

I can't think of the name right now, but there's a boss that has a homing brimstone attack, it curves to hit you no matter where you are. Is there any way of dodging that, or are you just hosed if you don't have shielding of some sort?

You have to time your dodge right so that you're moving away from the beam as he shoots. As long as you're not directly in the Brimstone's path when he shoots then you can avoid it since it only curves so much.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kubla Khan posted:

Hi, I'm completely new and looking to get into this. Should I get the old Isaac or play Rebirth in its current state?

There is no reason to play the old Isaac games. Rebirth is, for all intents and purposes, the game BoI was always supposed to be. The old games were kind of just a pet project that managed to get popular enough to warrant a real, proper game, which is what Rebirth is.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zoness posted:

Is Danny Baranowsky still the guy that does music for Rebirth? I feel like the soundtrack in Rebirth is conspicuously worse aside from the basement track - is there a way to splice the old Isaac soundtrack in?

Mute the music in the game and play the soundtrack on your computer?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

drunken officeparty posted:

Can someone link me the somethingsomething.co.uk link that is supposedly a wiki or something? I've seen people linking it but can't find it now.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/

Platinum God, like the old 100% achievement. Hit the "Rebirth?" slider on the top right to switch to Rebirth items.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cobalt60 posted:

I unironically agree with this. Charge times actually make the game un-fun for me, regardless of the wow-factor post-shot.
:siren: SCRUB ALERT :siren:

Just kidding, plenty of people didn't like Brimstone in the original game either.

Speaking of which, Ludivico on Azazel is obviously super good, but I didn't realize that it would also make poison and freeze powerups actually useful on him since the brimstone ring counts as constantly hitting an enemy, rather than just the big shot it would normally be. Froze+poisoned every boss, although they weren't exactly going to last long anyway. Love the new combinations so god drat much :allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
OH MY GOD, the green leaf powerup that turns you into an invincible stone if you don't move for a second totally works even if you have a Ludivico brimstone ring. You can't move the circle without the rock breaking, but you can totally walk into a room, put the ring in the middle, and then stand there while everything dies and you're invincible.

This is in a run where I'm already full guppy, have frozen + poisoned effects on my Ludivico brimstone ring, have three orbitals, the buddy that lays down a slow path for enemies, and am Azazel. This is rivaling some of the original game's super broken "have literally every powerup in the game" runs. I literally can't lose.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Darth Windu posted:

What does this fortune telling machine do? Aside from give pointless-seeming fortunes.

It also gives tarot cards and trinkets.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anyone know what the Red Candle does? The unlock you get for donating 400 coins.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yay finally got the D6 for Isaac. Time to break the game every single run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Except sometimes they definitely don't do that so who knows.