Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SunAndSpring posted:

What is the Godhead unlock, anyway? New item?

It's basically the last item you unlock and it's a really powerful tear upgrade. Damage, fire rate, and range Up, plus homing, plus a glowing bubble around each tear that also does damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alteisen posted:

What the gently caress is going, where did all those items come from?

He has a giant baby train and tears that block the entire screen.

That's what it looks like when you actually break the game. Not when you get a dark bum and get 12 hearts.

e: Explanation is that he's charging the D20 as many times as he wants by damaging himself thanks to the habit and some other items without having to clear rooms, which lets him re-roll garbage which turns into chests, which give him back the health he lost by damaging himself as well as creating more garbage that he can re-roll into chests with the D20, and so on and so forth.

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 12, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Thanks Patch 1.022!

I am the 1 0% :)

e:

VDay fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 12, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

wow and you even didn't even get compensated for your time through stream funds

I'm playing video games all wrong :negative:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Scorps posted:

How much time played/how many deaths did you end up with for your achievement?

Over 60 and apparently 278 deaths, although I bet that's off by at least like 200 because I wasn't shy about restarting to save some time when it was obvious that I was screwed and restarts don't count as deaths. I wasn't shy about restarting in general because I was just going for the 100% from day 1 so there are a whole lot of things that are easier to do if you just restart over and over until you get the right starting item or map layout or boss etc etc.

13/f/cali posted:

I have a handful of secrets not found, looks like I need a Meat Boy, a Bandage girl, to finish a couple of runs, etc.

It appears I also have a bugged secret because I have unlocked The Lost but secret #156 is not unlocked. What?

156 is Godhead, which you get for beating all the bosses (aside from Mega Satan) with the Lost, not just unlocking him.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alkydere posted:

Out of curiosity, can the D6 re-roll devil deal offers?

Yup, as well as Angel room items, shop items, and stuff like the blood bag from a blood machine or Skatole from a judgey.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ariong posted:

Can someone explain to me how people were supposed to discover the lost legitimately? because from the bits and pieces I've heard it sounds far too obtuse. Is there some sort of jingle when you die in a correct way?

It was actually only a day or two away from being figured out legitimately. Someone noticed that when you kill yourself in a sacrifice room holding the missing poster trinket, the game gives you a puzzle piece(as in, a literal piece of a jigsaw puzzle). People started collecting all the puzzle pieces and noticed that they had 4 symbols on them, to signify 4 different puzzles. All the puzzle pieces were of the death screen, so when all of them were eventually collected they would show 4 death screens. Replicating the deaths depicted in said screens is how you unlock the Lost.

The datamining skipped the "collect every puzzle piece" portion of the scavenger hunt by just looking at code and seeing what the correct death markers were. But it would've been figured out by now already anyway so while I feel bad for Edmund and anyone who was involved in making that puzzle, it really wasn't that difficult to figure out. That's kind of just how it is when you give The Internet a challenge, unless you just go completely nuts with it like Phil Fish did with Fez and do poo poo like invent your own encryption/alphabet.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Elman posted:

Does Mom's knife overwrite your attack upgrade the same way technology does? I had a really good Brimstone run that almost got ruined when I picked Technology by mistake, so I'm just avoiding the knife for now.
Yes mom's knife becomes your attack when you pick it up. I believe it simply overrides anything else you have so it would take over if you, for example, had Brimstone then picked it up, but don't quote me on that.

Also you should pick up the knife and learn how to use it, it's probably the most powerful weapon on the game besides Brimstone. It's pretty easy to get enough damage upgrades in a run to one or two-shot your way through every boss. It can also be used as a melee weapon so if you get something like the Holy Mantle or book of shadows then you can clear a room by just smashing into things before your invincibility wears out.

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm curious - how far are most people here along in achievements? I've been loving around but hit 50% after knocking out the Guppy challenge and the Total Darkness Eve challenge tonight.
I got 100% tonight when the newest patch hit that fixed the last two achievements but I had all of last week off basically and am a crazy person. Looking at my friend's list it seems like people are around anywhere between 20-50% done depending on how long they've been playing, ranging from a couple of hours to 40 or 50 hours. With the way achievements are unlocked, most of them could take quite a while if you're just playing normally or messing around and not systematically checking them off one-by-one.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pumpinglemma posted:

So is there any way to get a level 4 meat boy beyond a ridiculous amount of luck?

Restart until you get the book of revelations as your first item. Then get lucky.

e: Oops should've refreshed first.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 12, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ariong posted:

It would be nice if there were something you could do to force one or the otehr to drop. Like, Book of Revelations for Meat Cube and Satanic Bible for Bandage Ball. Say, does the Book of Revelations still force the floor you're on to have a horseman?

Yes but only on the first floor of a "level", ie: Basement I, caves I, etc.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cuntpunch posted:

Maggie is not the 'worst' character in a balance sense, but she's the most hideously boring character. Just endless "wander around slowly and pick up hearts" gameplay.

The trick to Maggie is that you don't use her hearts as a health buffer, but as currency to take a bunch of devil deals. Moving slowly isn't so bad when you have Brimstone and flight.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there even a way to get this secret? Do you just NEED Book of Revelations on the first floor and then by a series of coinflips, have all four horsemen only drop cubes of meat? There's still only one horseman per set of floors, right?

Yeah pretty much. It's not that bad if you just do it with Azazel. You spend most of your time just restarting until you get the book as your first item, then breeze through all the bosses until you either get it or don't. It's a bit annoying since it is just RNG, but so is most of the game. And to be fair if you're at the "I need to pick up every item" portion of your quest to 100% then you're going to spend plenty of time restarting or trying to get specific item combinations in order to do stuff like get every secret room item, or getting a certain rare item to drop from a rare boss, etc. It is what it is, I guess.

Van Kraken posted:

It'd be nice if they changed it so only one or the other would spawn in any given run.

Getting both is actually really nice if you're doing anything other than trying to complete the achievement. Two fairly big orbitals is much, much better than the fully completed meat boy/bandage girl.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only problem with Azazel is that a lot of cool gimmick stuff just doesn't work with his baby's first brimstone attack. Nothing is quite as broken as Ludovico Technique+Gnawed Leaf, though.

Doesn't moving the Ludo tear/beam/knife around knock you out of the rock state and counts as "moving"?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ArfJason posted:

just lost a completely bonkers Lost run with whore of babylon, the mark and lil brimstone to super peep (the one with loving instabrimstone). it was to one of his eyes though

He's the son of a bitch who almost hit me during my boss rush run with the Lost and pure and utter luck is the only reason he missed me. I was on one side of the arena just casually killing stuff when suddenly *BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*. Missed me by a pixel and only because I suddenly decided to stop flying up and go down.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

that would be terrible and Eden Tokens in general are kinda dumb and are a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Eh, I can kind of see the logic behind it. It's a character that can potentially start with some really powerful items, so they didn't want people to just restart over and over and over in order to use it to beat all the bosses and unlock everything. Kind of goofy, but not really a big deal I think.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

People would just startscum for a good combo, you're right. But people do that already for every other character who isn't limited by tokens. I just reset if I get something like beans on the first floor with anyone. I find it kind of odd that they chose to fix that kind of start scumming poo poo with just one character.

i mean I don't hate the idea I just find it kinda weird

That's just the line they decided to draw I guess. To be fair the couple of items that Eden starts with make a pretty huge difference compared to just restarting over and over again until you get quad shot or poly or something equally good in the first room. Considering that stuff is unlocked by beating all the bosses over and over, giving people a way to basically get free (as opposed to just very easy) wins/kills would kind of defeat the purpose. And let's be honest, at that point people would just complain that you have to beat the bosses to unlock stuff at all since they can just restart until they get some uber powerful combo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It removes the cost from items that cost something. There's nothing to "fix".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

CJacobs posted:

Explosions and brimstone shots are still a problem so perhaps 100% trivial was a bit of an overstatement. MOSTLY trivial. I disagree when it comes to shielded tears though, you can win the game very easily with them if you have a moderately fast firerate.

You're severely underestimating how easy it is to take some dumb hit on any floor no matter your loadout. Some of my dumbest/"cheapest" deaths were with my best builds because being able to kill things quickly still leaves you vulnerable to all kinds of damage. Shielded tears with a max fire rate still wouldn't prevent you from getting hit by a lobbed shot's splash damage, or from behind or the side while you're dodging something, or from a bomb that drops after you kill some mob, etc etc.

The only thing that makes the Lost easy is if you luck out and get something ludicrous like Brimstone + Tri/Quad shot + Holy Mantle/3 orbitals and can literally walk into a room, let go of the fire button while sweeping across and instantly clear the entire thing. And even then there are some rooms where you have to dodge some serious fire in order to not get hit twice.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yes items are locked behind challenges which are often hard and sometimes annoying to do. Welcome to video games.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The stop watch, the treasure map, the compass, and the humbling bundle are all ridiculously good items. Plus you get the occasional soul heart or battery to recharge your D6. The shop is really drat good in Rebirth compared to the original game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Axe is pretty decent if you have flight because it lets you destroy rocks in the early levels without making you do it in the womb, where they often hurt you, and lets you retain the ability to hide from melee mobs by flying over rocks. Something like Leo actually hurts if you also have flying because you're suddenly smashing everything and your flight advantage goes away unless the room has some pits on the edges.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alkydere posted:

Yes! I'm winning the boss rush! I'm on Death! I'm almost ther-*red poop*

Red poop being able to hurt you even if you have flying is secretly the worst part of the game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Mom's Knife or Brimstone with your usual jumble of the best damage ups can also one or two-shot isaac/lamb.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IMJack posted:

Brimstone + rubber cement + Tammy's head

:circlefap:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ludovico is super fun with certain combinations.

Speaking of goofy combinations, just had a run with triple shot, IPECAC, Guppy, and a super early Godhead. I don't think I've ever had an easier run of the game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's already the Humbleing Bundle which doubles all item drops.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sounds pretty good, can't wait.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Those all look hilarious and awesome. Can't wait to melt my laptop with some quad shot combos.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Keep restarting until you get the book of Revelation as your first item if you aren't doing that already.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there any particular reason to start over for Afterbirth (like from a new boss/item/feature standpoint)? Or do people just want to unlock stuff again and start "fresh"?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ddraig posted:

Haha, even with quad shot Brimstone Hush takes forever to kill.

Yeah Hush could probably use like a 25% nerf to his HP, it's kind of ludicrously high. I beat him as Guppy with Brimstone and it still took forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's a little bit of work but you can just use CheatEngine to do that now. Get one of the new/updated tables that has a pedestal script and just grab whatever items you want at the start of every run.