Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
looking at the gorgeous blue floor tiles, and watching that video with monstro's lung + extra items I honestly cannot understand why anyone would dislike this art style. its taken every last thing about the original and improved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It looks better than the original by virtue of better tech running under the hood, but I still don't like the artstyle.

The two things are somewhat divorced from one another.

See I don't understand because it looks just like the original only dressed up. Everything is the same. Its not like its now multicoloured and set in a luscious rainforest. Its the same looking Isaac just with a better engine. The art style hasn't changed.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
it is everything i wanted in a sequel/remake. it is perfect.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
so i just picked up the explosive diarrhea pill and nearly blew myself to high heaven

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
got soy milk, chocolate milk, pentagram and crown of thorns. a steady, fast stream, of damaging shots. i think chocolate milk doesnt have any effect if you already use soy milk

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jivjov posted:

BoI could run on my PC, and never crashed. BoI:R will not even start. I think BoI is the clear winner here.

EDIT: I'd rather have a fun buggy game with some weird item interactions and flash slowdown than a functionally useless piece of software.

you need to calm down. i am sure it will be fixed. right now you're being petulant and unreasonable. sometimes bugs happen but it shall be fixed without this level of hyperbole.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jivjov posted:

Do we even have an official stance on the "you only ever get one refund" thing? I've seen the "one-time customer service gesture" thing, but I read that more as 'it is not a guarantee' more than 'You only ever get one'. If you do only truly get a single refund ever, then that is unbelievable horseshit and would actually put me off using Steam forever. Why penalize consumers for developers putting out a completely non-functional product?

steam are very generous when it comes to a product that does not work for the very near majority of consumers. The War Z springs to mind.

In this case, your bug is currently the only one in this thread being reported/experienced, and I am sure it will be fixed.

complaining about digital rights resale on the PC after at least a decade of steam is crazy to me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

jivjov posted:

If you pop your head into the old BoI thread, someone else just posted that they can't get Rebirth to load either. So despite your assertion, this issue is not unique to me.

apologies.

2 people.

two.

out of thousands.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jibo posted:

Yep. It also doesn't do this if you are playing as Azazel or possibly if you have Brimstone. I got it with him and couldn't tell if it actually did anything.

plus its cursed. id expect cursed items to not be too great.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the design of the rooms is phenomenal. i love how gorgeous everything looks.

the chest, the depths, the cathedral - they really outdid themselves with the graphics. everything is coloured so beautifully dark.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
why do we need to nerf items? its rng. sometimes you'll get something amazing, sometimes you wont. if this was an MMO or something, yeah. but its single player.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The fact that you have a random chance of getting it does not change the fact that it pretty much means any run will be successful once you pick it up. There are some items, like in the original game, that should be changed not because they are very powerful (because you're right, there should be items like that), but because they make a hard game piss easy. When the game is not challenging anymore, the item is too powerful.

Of course none of this matters because they're not going to balance anything that actually needs it just like in the original game anyway.

dont pick it up then? this just seems like a silly thing to even want. what about those people who've not unlocked them yet and would like some fun? not every last thing needs balance.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

"Then don't pick it up" is not an applicable argument because this is not a game where you know what items do before you pick them up. In order to know what it does you have to pick it up and use it and if it's crazy OP then you will pick it up every time you see it which will affect your playstyle to the point where, if you can make the game incredibly easy, you will do so because this is a difficult game otherwise. Balancing the items in question won't make the game less fun, they'll make the game more varied.

so you pick it up, remember what it is, then dont. this is not rocket science.

the rng has something like 450 items. sometimes it will be there, sometimes not. you need items that have great effects alongside items that dont. if you HAVE to pick it up each time you see it then you need to realise you have will power issues.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I get the feeling that no matter what I say, my earlier point of "it does not matter if it appears randomly, overpowered is overpowered" is just not going to be addressed.

because it's retarded. that is why.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
why do people hate conquest so much? i dont think ive unlocked him yet. (im really bad at the game)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
could they be seeds for the new expansion?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
for the very first time I got to the chest and beat the blue baby! I had a nice run as cain.
proptosis, shielded, rubber tears with about four damage up items made it doable.

im really glad I took the shielded tears item in the boss rush as that properly allowed me to stand next to Isaac and the baby and ignore their own tears. I took the polaroid with me. what happens if you take the negative? do you get a different chest? or a different ending after the chest? (I know I am massively behind everyone else but I am very bad at this game. I was on a -140 something losing streak before this)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

IUG posted:

If you take the negative you can go to Sheol and continue after beating Satan. If you take the poloroid you can go to the Chest after beating Isaac. If you grab the wrong one for the path, then the fights stop at Satan/Isaac. You won't go to The Chest/The Dark Room.

oh thanks! that makes a lot of sense. maybe I had never got to the chest before because I was always taking the wrong one (or died)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love binding of Isaac but I am so bad at it. I have many hours but it's just not something that I do well at.

I was up to -150 streak at one point.

Something I wish they would stop doing is nerfing over powered items. I don't understand why a game involving randomness needs great items to be lowered when so many lacklustre items exist. Surely it's part of the run to get a run where everything just works to balance out those that don't.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The daily run doesn't count mods, basically. I've got a few mods loaded up (better room layouts, more item room choice and so forth) and the daily run will include them. It's why I stopped doing the daily run because it didn't seem fair.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is an iPhone more powerful than a WiiU, 3DS and PS Vita?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Oh hell yeah!

But only if you're not a game developer

I'm frustrated Nicalis aren't bringing the expansion to anything else than PC currently.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
When is the ps vita getting afterbirth is all I care about.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That makes me very sad :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I've sort of given up on Isaac because I'm irritated that they're not bringing the updates to the Vita version. By far it is my favourite version of the game, and going from the PC with all the extras back to the Vita makes it feel empty. I wish nicalis were a better developer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There was a boss on level 3 I think which is nuts! The Reap Spider or something. It moves back and forth like the Haunt but it is ridiculously tough if you get a bad floor plan like I did.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At least now we can mod everything ourselves and change all the odd stuff that happens. I'm still confused about the dark bum changes! I always thought because it was so RNG based that some runs you'd get a stupidly good item and sometimes you wouldn't.

People complained that the game was too easy once you took it but I always felt that it balanced out some of the really, really bad items. Plus you could always not take it.

I think it will be fun to make 'The Binding of Isaac Vis a Vis '.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Permanent half soul hearts?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh wow. That's baffling!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I gave the April Fools challenge a go and got exceptionally lucky. First treasure room was tiny planet, found a cricket's head in a chest, then got the pact and book of belial from the devil room after getting there via a joker card. Stage 1 bloat was so easy due to rock formations and tiny planet with huge tears. Next level I got homing tears and another damage up and proceeded to get favourable rock formations for every bloat then on.

Did it first time! Thanks RNG :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If the modding tools get better I think I might make Diplopia work with Void again. I don't get some of the nerfs in this game sometimes when all they do is create mad fun things and considering how many items just don't really do anything positive.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'll be getting BOI for the Switch if it contains both expansions. The vita version is my favourite version and I am mad that Nicalis is such a poor developer that it's not getting the expansions. It feels like such a perfect on the go game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh my god it is a radio tower labeled "Store"

...what the gently caress, that dude's a goon, maybe he reads this, how could you possibly think that was good design for the literal only button anyone ever wants to be labelled "STORE"?

ALSO THANK YOU :shobon:

To store the achievements? :shobon:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Crackbone posted:

How about you just say what's interesting about it instead of linking two hours of bullshit?

Let's be relaxed friend, this is the BOI thread :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Nicalis can't even get it out in the switch in time for Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I wish someone at Nicalis would say when the switch version is coming to the UK. How are they this incompetent so much??