Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Took a tour of the refinished place courtesy of AI and wanted to share with you guys.

http://youtu.be/M-bHtceKg5U

Sled driver AND a book that makes fart noises? SPEED AND CLASS sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bennyfactor posted:

Sled driver AND a book that makes fart noises? SPEED AND CLASS sir.
They're actually a package deal, relating to a cold-war programme that he can't talk about on the public forum.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Moving to my grandmas house due to my housemates not being especially helpful with sobriety.
Go to pick up my stuff and its all smashed up in a dumpster. the only valuable things i possess (fender custom shop guitar and a pair of very expensive acoustic research bookshelf speakers) are now missing. made a police report looks like my housemates werent paying rent.

gently caress 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat. He died in recovery after yet another surgery (his health was kicking his rear end this year) with no friends or family around. He'd been in a rehab facility just a few miles away and I hadn't found the time to go see him.

gently caress.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 238 days!)

lovely month to be a buddy of a goon. Sorry to hear that, Rhyno.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Im gonna be picking up the crew on steam p00pmaster is my id. Since its an mmo im gonna rp as myself and drive nothing but chryco products.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

You have more of a Texas accent than I do.

You're from California. I'm from Texas. I don't eve:psyduck:

My brain has an especially flexible part of it when it comes to the natural tendency to learn regional accents to blend in. My buddy grew up in Galveston, and I've had people ask me where in Texas I'm from but usually only when drunk. And it sounds completely different than Texan to my ears hearing myself on audio :v:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Sorry Rhyno. :smith:

Kicked off the holidays with the news that my mom is laying the groundwork for an intervention with my dad.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
This was my day:

:can:

Amazingly I have identified the last wire hanging loose and I think it's all working property.

meltie fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 30, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Changing the water outlet on the back of the motor in my friends brothers A4. I already removed some stuff and I still cant even see it. Gonna be shitfuck cuntrocket to change the drat thing. gently caress you Audi.

Sorry about your friend Ryhno, that really sucks :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Took a tour of the refinished place courtesy of AI and wanted to share with you guys.

http://youtu.be/M-bHtceKg5U
drat I need to hang up some of the posters and car parts I've bought over the past years. My walls are completely blank.

Time for rust removal. Have naval jelly (2 types) , wire wheel, some strange plastic rust remover wheel, rusty preventative primer, enamel primer, heavy duty gloves and safety glasses. Wonder how many wires will be imbedded in my face by the time I'm done.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat I need to hang up some of the posters and car parts I've bought over the past years. My walls are completely blank.

Time for rust removal. Have naval jelly (2 types) , wire wheel, some strange plastic rust remover wheel, rusty preventative primer, enamel primer, heavy duty gloves and safety glasses. Wonder how many wires will be imbedded in my face by the time I'm done.

Grab some Eastwood internal frame coating if you can get access to the backside of any of those panels. No sense in only fixing one side of the metal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

And also yes Ive seen the one at the Boeing air museum 3 times now. it's loving huge.

I got to put gas on one when I was a fuel jockey in the AF on a TDY to kadena AFB :smug:

But I didn't really see it because it got fueled through the door of the hangar :smith:

Saw it take off though :unsmith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also I think the ZF 4hp24 can be bump started but again its only a few years. It uses an output shaft pump, but there was only very very select few that were hydraulically controlled.

my 86 325es has one, I should try pop starting it some day

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Anyone have an idea what this is? It looks like a ~1938 Packard 12 to me, but the grille is wrong, and the hood ornament looks more like a Pontiac. The person who made it does not exist on the internet- and this print is over 20 years old. :v:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 30, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Viggen posted:

Anyone have an idea what this is? It looks like a ~1938 Packard 12 to me, but the grille is wrong, and the hood ornament looks more like a Pontiac. The person who made it does not exist on the internet- and this print is over 20 years old. :v:
Mid-Thirties Cadillac?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Mid-Thirties Cadillac?

Cadillac 90 I believe, but the mirrors are wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V-16#mediaviewer/File:1934_Cadillac_V-16_(3829317298).jpg

E: \/\/\/\/ Yeah, that looks more like it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 30, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Viggen posted:

Looks like a 34 Pontiac, but I don't know much about them. It looks just like this, though:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1934_Pontiac_Chief_Sedan.jpg

E: nope, it's a Cadillac 90.
http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=FL13&ID=r356&Order=alphabetical&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Horse Divorce posted:

Looks like a 34 Pontiac, but I don't know much about them. It looks just like this, though:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1934_Pontiac_Chief_Sedan.jpg

Its like a mix of the two. Someone's imaginative drawing of one maybe?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Its like a mix of the two. Someone's imaginative drawing of one maybe?

Yeah it looks like a combo. The thing that instantly threw me off about it being a Caddy was the exposed wheel. They'd never do that at least for a few more years.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I've never really given two shits about my weight/activity since I've always been a small guy but man this year even I noticed the weight gain.

5'6" and I clocked in at 175. WHERE THE gently caress DID THIS COME FROM?!

I know I started eating like a god drat slob after I switched from smoking to vaping but I didn't think it was that much. gently caress getting older. Bought a fitbit Zip, looked at my BMI and wept. Too many anxiety problems for the gym (can't even begin to count the tries/failures in that) so I think just keeping up and active around the neighborhood is going to help me the best.

Giving up soda is going to be a bitch. A complete and utter bitch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can do it man. Today marks 8 months pop and fast food free for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Grab some Eastwood internal frame coating if you can get access to the backside of any of those panels. No sense in only fixing one side of the metal.
Never heard of it but I'll look into it. The longer I can go without having to do this again or try to track down clean parts the better. My biggest issue with something like this would be cleaning the inside good enough to make this worth while, that's some tough old grease.

So a couple questions that came up today while working on the car. First is above, what's the best way to clean the grime and crap out from the inside of something like a subframe with a long enclosed channel? Second, I used rust remover on the differential which worked great for the bad stuff but the whole thing is still a big orange mass. Do I use a rust 'converter' on it to get a paintable surface or do I spend a day with a wire wheel and see if I can find fresh metal?

I remember a few threads ago someone went on a very informative rant about powder coating versus painting something. I could use a review of that rant for the subframes. I'm guessing powder coat is a stupid overkill but if it means I don't have to worry about them again it may be worth it. Would be considering the same for the trailing arm.

Don't think I've ever had a long holiday weekend this productive. Usually it's a lot of Netflix and gaming. Feels good to make progress on that car after all these years of it sitting neglected. My wallet is crying but what the hell...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

You can do it man. Today marks 8 months pop and fast food free for me.

But it's so delicious...

Actually its not and all it does is make me feel tired. Time to start making tea by the gallon!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Actually its not and all it does is make me feel tired. Time to start making tea by the gallon!

Fruit juice and seltzer water is a pretty good replacement too, as long as you get one that has less sugar than soda.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

But it's so delicious...

How old are you again? All I drink is water. Water water water. As much as three gallons a day.

Six months ago I started a supplement program from Complete Nutrition. It's helped me eliminate the need for sugar and caffeine to be functional every day.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

How old are you again? All I drink is water. Water water water. As much as three gallons a day.

Six months ago I started a supplement program from Complete Nutrition. It's helped me eliminate the need for sugar and caffeine to be functional every day.

31. It's a ritual more than anything. I've had the same job/route for 12 years so most of it is just automatic. Really old habits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

31. It's a ritual more than anything. I've had the same job/route for 12 years so most of it is just automatic. Really old habits.

I'm 34 and 8 months ago I was 220 lbs at 5'8". Currently sitting at 190 and it was all diet change, no exercise. Pop, beer and fast food man. Cut them and drink water.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I'm 34 and 8 months ago I was 220 lbs at 5'8". Currently sitting at 190 and it was all diet change, no exercise. Pop, beer and fast food man. Cut them and drink water.

From my cold, dead hands.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress cutting beer and alcohol. I can kill fast food....I have cut my pop consumption lately though. I can't drink coffee or else I just want to smoke. Bad.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh yeah, you're 100% right. Thankfully I was never big on fast food and I cut most of the beer (like maybe like 1 or two a week). The soda has to go and I just need to get up more.

The beer was super hard but I got front row seats to watch liver cirrhosis in a family member last year and it quite literally scared the booze out of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

gently caress cutting beer and alcohol. I can kill fast food....I have cut my pop consumption lately though. I can't drink coffee or else I just want to smoke. Bad.

I never said poo poo about cutting booze man! I'd probably die!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Id seriously consider killing myself if I was forced to be sober for the rest of my life

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Id seriously consider killing myself if I was forced to be sober for the rest of my life

I'm pretty sure I need it to live at this point.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some of you goons cycle right? Any reason not to get a cheap cycle trainer? I can pick one up for £50 and it means I'll be doing precisely 100% more cycling, which is good because booze and food are delicious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, at work, our CEO got sold on a Soncwall setup with Sonicpoint Access Points, and its been a disaster. The Access points drop client regularly, hate legacy wireless, and are in general a pain in the rear end.

So I purchased a couple Ubiquity Unifi APs to try for less than one of the Sonicpoint APs.

Its been a dream. Cheap, rugged, and excellent throughput.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I cut out drinking regularly almost 2 years ago. Back in September, I pretty much swore if off entirely.

I feel like this is obvious but when you're starting out to lose weight, you don't need to cut everything out at once. If you do, you'll be miserable. I just started adding fruits and vegetables to what I was eating and gradually cut back on anything fried or fast food. It worked out pretty well for me.

I've been putting off buying a new computer for awhile now. I think I'm going to keep track of how many times I go to the gym and if I can hit ~15 or so for a few months I'll finally splurge and get one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I had to quit drinking when i went on liver killing meds that left nothing for the alcohol to play with.

It's been over 6 months now, and it doesn't really bother me to not be able to drink. I've had to use other stuff for pain or insomnia when they come up, but a couple pills are cheaper than a bottle of whiskey anyways.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

So, at work, our CEO got sold on a Soncwall setup with Sonicpoint Access Points, and its been a disaster.

SonicWall products are just godawful. So glad I don't support them anymore.

--

My neurologist suggested that I give up all caffeine. I'm not getting the daily shakes and aggression without it. Life just doesn't seem to exist anymore. Just. So. Dull. I spent the last couple hours putting my X in one RatShack toys on eBay. Hopefully someone will love them. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
once i switched my mental crutch from booze to weed and stopped drinking soda (because mixed drinks) i lost like 80 lbs and my appetite actually seems to have objectively decreased, i highly recommend it

• Locked thread