Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does this sound like something worth doing?
This poll is closed.
Yes 53 94.64%
No 3 5.36%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

tuluk posted:

the reddit gip died extremely fast and won't be missed by anyone.

The reasons it died had very little to do with reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

The reasons it died had very little to do with reddit

agreed.
anyway, if shim doesn't step up i'll make the private google hangouts group tonight, and start inviting known people into it(godholio, AB, HDI, N4I, etc).
i'm the jackass in the steam gip group with the long-rear end name stolen from a danger 5 episode.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Just want to let everyone know that I am still programming away. It will still take a bit until I get to the point where I can present a demo. I figure I'll present the demos in stages to get peoples input and we can make some revisions before moving onto the next stage.

What I am gathering from everyone's input so far is that at least initially we'll make everything private and goon only. All members will have there military service validated by uploading a redacted DD-214. Once validated you will have access to the community.

I think the google hangouts is a great idea and should definitely be done as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

You really got my hopes up with this. :catstare:

Fart Sandwiches posted:

edit: DD-214 or most recent eval

DD-214 or most negative eval

I'm a bit late in the thread because I've been busy and didnt want to half-assed read this one. I'm on board with whatever and as a resource. No $ to help just yet but when that changes I'll be willing to support financially.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Whatever we end up doing, I would like to be a part of it. I would be willing to kick in a little cash to help out too.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
I will offer my assistance as well

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I will absolutely throw in some money for this.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'd like to get in in this as well

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

damnit, i'm ready to get the google hangout working.
pinging AB because I see him on steam,
anyone else want to help out my steam name is currently Massimiliano Importante

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How does google hangouts work exactly? I know it's kind of like a chat room where you can send pictures and stream webcam but is it always there even if no one is signed into it or?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

How does google hangouts work exactly? I know it's kind of like a chat room where you can send pictures and stream webcam but is it always there even if no one is signed into it or?

the chat room stays there forever basically, and it caches messages for you indefinitely.
u on steam chat?

e: and I love my new google email address.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry on mobile for the next couple days. Pretty sure there's an app though

You guys using throwaways for it? I mean, is it going to be somewhat private? Idgaf if you dudes know my deets but yeah

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

i'm using a secondary gmail account dedicated to this.
kinda overkill since my main gmail account exists to power my smartphone, but i'm stupid/paranoid that way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm pretty sure my google address is the same as my username here.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

my new email address is based on my favorite whiskey brands.
sadly, @gmail.com email addresses are needed to use google hangouts.
...unless you're using the business google email stuff.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The google hangouts gonna be strictly for "get help" or is it irc kk moker and friends party zone 2.0

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Christoff posted:

The google hangouts gonna be strictly for "get help" or is it irc kk moker and friends party zone 2.0

that poo poo is dead and gone, but don't let that stop you from still raging about getting drummed out

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

i'm treating google hangouts as a strictly "get help" thing, but if people want to make it the party zone, it's cool with me.
If people hate that idea, irc party zone 2.0 can be split off into another hangouts channel.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Christoff posted:

i got kicked out of kk a long time ago for not liking rrail enough br0

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
This isn't KoolKrew 2: Redacted Business Degree Bugaloo.

All are welcome.

Except the Bronies and E-9's, your suicides are anything but discouraged.

Not a loving shred of irony or humor in that, either.

REAL TALK

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

We're too dumb to survive outside of SA, and too vile to survive inside of it.

It's like some sort of metaphor for america's heroes (US Military Veterans)

Support the troops

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Tuluk if you wanna get google hangouts started invite me in. There's some other hosted solutions we need to look at too, but we need somewhere to start and I'm happy to start this thing there until the more robust get help version 2.0.1 is ready.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Obama Africanus posted:

Tuluk if you wanna get google hangouts started invite me in. There's some other hosted solutions we need to look at too, but we need somewhere to start and I'm happy to start this thing there until the more robust get help version 2.0.1 is ready.

Start looking for a final solution please

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

justice4trayvawn posted:

Start looking for a final solution please

Hey old friend how are u?

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Obama Africanus posted:

Hey old friend how are u?

I'm good just workin n stuff hehe

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ok you bastards.
i'm back online and logged into steam.
someone steamchat me and i'll get the hangouts channel setup.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

I am still making progress. Working on the registration and military service verification method right now. I think I've got a pretty decent setup that will be tough to fake through.

I wanted to see if there was interest in adding some additional utility where once you have had your service verified you could link it to SA account by temporarily putting a key in your SA profile, then it would generate a publicly viewable page that would just have your SA username and a statement that you are or have been a member of the military with no other info. Just a way to root out fakers. It would be very little work and would be optional. If there is an interest in it, I can throw it in.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Put in a question saying "are you thinking of enlisting with a degree?" And if they say yes they get redirected to a thread or hangout or whatever telling them why they shouldn't so that, in case this thing gets big, we won't be asked that question 500 times a year.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Cole thinks this guy is programming the automatic voice lady from the VA 800 number lol. I bet in Coles mind this job looks like a mad scientist doing judo with a brite-lite.

Lol

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Its gonna be cool to make 'rate my dick' posts right? jw

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Obama Africanus posted:

Cole thinks this guy is programming the automatic voice lady from the VA 800 number lol. I bet in Coles mind this job looks like a mad scientist doing judo with a brite-lite.

Lawnmower Man with it's crappy CGI is what Cole thinks is happening.

shim, google hangout message REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED so we can get the hangout created, and handed over to everyone else.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 8, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

tuluk posted:

Lawnmower Man with it's crappy CGI

would own if true

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cole posted:

would own if true

agreed. http://youtu.be/I33u7P-XokE

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I would love to help with this but I don't feel comfortable linking my SA account with my real name and details. I say dumb poo poo on the internet sometimes and I'd hate to make it easier to link me to this account.

Is there a way to verify that I am legit without linking my offsite info with this account?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Hekk posted:

I would love to help with this but I don't feel comfortable linking my SA account with my real name and details. I say dumb poo poo on the internet sometimes and I'd hate to make it easier to link me to this account.

Is there a way to verify that I am legit without linking my offsite info with this account?

Yes, linking will be optional, but the plan is to keep everyone as anonymous as they want to be. The way I am implementing this right now is that you provide a couple things to verify that your military and that is kept private and stored separately from your profile. As soon as an admin clicks on the verify button, all of that private info is permanently deleted along with anything you uploaded.

Email addresses are required, but there is an option if you want it viewable to other verified members. If you want to be able to send and receive mail without sharing your email address you still can with the server acting as a relay to keep email addresses anonymous.

Telephone numbers are optional and there is the option to make it viewable by verified members as well. If you want to keep telephone private then you just need to provide a google call widget public api key and there will be a google call widget on your profile page that people can click to connect with you.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 3, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

google hangout chat seems to work ok. message with different people history appears on multiple devices,and there is options to block/archive/forget message histories. the google hangouts plugin for the chrome browser kinda sucks rear end, so i suggest using the google hangouts app on your smartphone or tablet devices.

delizin website thing: it sounds very overkill/designed as more of a global get-help system than the lowkey Don't loving kill yourself/loving call someone in GiP to talk you down if you feel suicidal we need to avoid another Schneider event.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Obama Africanus posted:

Lol

to be fair this is also how i see it

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer
loving poo poo. I hate too much and don't trust farther than I can drool. Moving this poo poo is going to suck for me, but since I don't really talk to anyone I guess it doesn't really matter. As long as someone is able to get the help they need then that's what counts. Just don't make whatever it is too cumbersome.

I'm done. If I let myself write too much I might start saying things that need not be said.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the google hangouts room is created. bother christoff or zeris to get invited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

tuluk posted:

delizin website thing: it sounds very overkill/designed as more of a global get-help system than the lowkey Don't loving kill yourself/loving call someone in GiP to talk you down if you feel suicidal we need to avoid another Schneider event.

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking when I first started, but after looking into it more and trying to listen to what people want here, I've shifted direction into something that will be more of an extension for the GiP community to be able to connect with each other. Most of the planned features will require people to register to keep out the riff raff, but there will be stuff to help people such as links to crisis and suicide prevention hotlines and link to the Get Help forum post when it gets the PII removed and is unhidden.

I am getting closer to having a demo available then people can get a look at it and we can discuss what kind of things we want to be able to do with it. I've just finished the registration process and am working on user profiles now. After that I will post the demo and work on the Get Help functionality. Hopefully when the demo is posted I can get some good criticism and we can start refining what we all want from this thing.

• Locked thread