Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does this sound like something worth doing?
This poll is closed.
Yes 53 94.64%
No 3 5.36%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

tuluk posted:

people wanting a invite to the hangouts chat should pm godholio, hekk, or cole for vetting.

Mod Edit: To prevent the abuse of personal information by idiots, I moved the old thread to a place where it cannot be viewed. That said, the presences of a get help thread is very much a necessity in our community. I recommend anyone who needs to talk join the Google hangout.

I started spitballing about this idea in the Vet thread, but thought it might deserve more attention and discussion.

The idea is that we would create a web resource for vets that would be similar to the Get Help megathread that would link up vets who are thinking about hurting themselves with another vet to talk to. Setting it up offsite would allow us to keep email addresses and phone numbers private, but easily accessible to those in need with little danger of assholes being able to copy and paste them all over the internet.

We could have searchable profiles for the individuals willing to talk with info like branch of service, location, times available, a short blurb about issues they have dealt with in their personal life, etc. We could have an email server that acts as a relay between messages so both parties are kept anonymous. The same thing can be done for phone numbers using a service like google voice.

Hopefully this would encourage more people to post their info and be a willing ear since they wouldn't have to worry about some rear end in a top hat doxing them or some bullshit.

I have been doing django websites professionally for a little bit, so I'd be willing to program the site, setup the database and a VPS to host it on.

What I could really use help on is creating content, giving the site a name/logos/etc, and getting volunteers to sign up as people to talk to.

Some issues worth discussing:
Should we require registration prior to sending an email / making a call for help?
Pro: Helps prevent abuse
Con: Delays or could prevent someone from getting help

Should we require some sort of military service verification for people who register as someone to talk to?
Pro: Help to prevent fakes/abuse
Con: Cumbersome, not sure of a good method of implementing, could prevent people from signing up to help others

Are there people interested in collaborating on the programming and should the site be open source in a public git repo?
Pro: Possibility of faster development and more secure code
Con: Could expose security vulnerabilities to those interested in exploiting it

I've started work and will post more topics as they come up.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I'm in 100% to collaborate on this, I'll be back in this thread in a few hours to discuss further.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Delizin posted:

Some issues worth discussing:
Should we require registration prior to sending an email / making a call for help?
Pro: Helps prevent abuse
Con: Delays or could prevent someone from getting help

Should we require some sort of military service verification for people who register as someone to talk to?
Pro: Help to prevent fakes/abuse
Con: Cumbersome, not sure of a good method of implementing, could prevent people from signing up to help others

Are there people interested in collaborating on the programming and should the site be open source in a public git repo?
Pro: Possibility of faster development and more secure code
Con: Could expose security vulnerabilities to those interested in exploiting it

Yes.
Yes.
I don;t know what this means.

Voted "No" because I read the thread title as getting rid of the Prophet thread. I think that would be a bad idea.

edit: .. oh, the Get Help thread IS gone. Well that seems unnecessary. Were people getting prank calls?

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 1, 2014

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

easiest thing would be setting up a private google chat group.
people only added after authenication by a known trusted person.
aka no grover, no D&D counter-invaders, no trolls besides the homegrown gip trolls.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GG please out the no voters for their shame.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I think we better decide whether this is purely to link up and matchmake folks to chat offline however they like, or if it's going to house its own discussion so others can weigh in and offer advice.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

I think we better decide whether this is purely to link up and matchmake folks to chat offline however they like, or if it's going to house its own discussion so others can weigh in and offer advice.

whatever happens there's still the irc gip channel. having a hosted site is nice but gently caress it i prefer the cloud...using burner social media ids & email addresses in case personal info accidently gets leaked again.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I don't know who moved that thread but it wasn't me, what the gently caress.

E: we're on the case

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I see what happened, some poo poo head rear end in a top hat was posting a bunch of information from the thread in gbs, so an admin probably moved it for protection. I'll make sure that idiot is banned and I imagine that N4I will handle getting it back here. It's not gone, just hidden for the time being.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yes that would be noted worthless idiot hitlers gay secret. if you could get a permaban for him we will love you lots :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Tuluk, wanna help with making this thing both useful, and secure?

This thing almost 100% must have a handful of fully trusted agents, or absolute anonymity. One is hard to do right, the other has proved impossible when smarter folks have tried.

IRC is good, and I take your approach to security- but to get max participation and minimal sad brains dying we need to make this poo poo accessible while still somewhat secure, with a degree of anonymity while allowing for user to user authentication or at least make user re-connections easy despite a degree of anonymity.

Difficult. But doable, and worth doing.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I already own web hosting. I'll start up a forum for us if you guys want. It'll just be a basic phpbb or simple machines forum. And I have no idea how to customize anything.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

What I'm thinking for anonymity is to have the server relay all email messages back and forth. That will allow for 100% anonymity for emails unless the server gets hacked. Messages would not be retained in the database or on the server for longer than it takes to send the message. As for phone calls I'm not sure of a way to get 100% anonymity, but using the google voice method will at least protect the volunteer's telephone number from ever being revealed. I believe it will let the helper know the caller's number though, but I need to verify that to be sure. It might just give the volunteer google's number in the caller id.

If you aren't familiar with how google voice widget works it is as follows:
Visitor click an adobe flash link on your website that says Call Me Now.
It prompts them to input their telephone number, then google calls them.
Once they have the visitor on the line, google then calls whatever number is connected to your google voice account.

That way the visitor never gets the actual phone number connected to the call me widget.

As far as verifying prior military service, I am open to suggestions for methods. The only thing I can think of would be to verify .mil email addresses and for people that don't have them anymore they would have to upload a DD-214 and driver's license and be manually verified.

I think this would be a good service to have open to the general vet population, but we could have a goon exclusive group that would just match goons up with each other inside it as well if people want. Potentially we could have custom groups so other smaller vet communities like ours could have their own exclusive groups.

The way I am envisioning it now is someone who needs someone to talk to would visit the page, and could either get matched up immediately with someone or could search the database for someone with a similar background.

Each of the volunteers could create a short profile like what branch of service, whether they are still in, some personal issues they might have went through if they want to post it, and what times they are available to talk or if they are only available via email. No one could see their name or contact info, just a username or first initial. Also by putting in times they are available to talk we can make it so if someone isn't available at a specific time they won't show up in a search for someone who needs to speak to someone right now. That will hopefully help people get connected immediately instead of trying someone and giving up when they don't get an answer.

I am building the database models for volunteers right now. What information do you think we should require or allow people to provide?

So far I am thinking:
First Name/Initial/Pseudonym <-- Public
Telephone Number <--- Hidden from other users
Email Address <--- Hidden
Zip Code <--- Maybe. If we did this it would be optional and could be used if people want to be matched up to another person nearby
Gender? <--- Maybe some people only want to talk to someone of the same gender? FYI I am not putting in a slider. Perhaps Male, Female, Other? ;)

Then the following would all be public viewable and used to help match make people who might have had similar experiences:
Branch of Service
Current Status - Active, Retired, ETS
Been Deployed
Combat Action
Personal Background/Story
Days of the Week Available
Office/Enlisted?
Grade?

How does this sound? Are there other fields or criteria we should add to this?

Delizin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 1, 2014

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.gippers.beer lets make this happen

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If people are willing to throw hosting and servers at this, we can do something good here. I'll match dollar to dollar any other Gippers donations to make this project succeed up to it cutting into my weed budget. Once it touches my bud budget I'm tapped out. Plus, you don't want my help dealing with people if I'm not skunked outta my mind in the first place.

We need to ensure we have a minimum level of support always there and available, even if it risks D&D or muds to abuse / harrass / attack the service.

For now IRC has that but that's Busch league for accessibility, visibility, and security. But it's obviously got to be part of the communication modes available, I'm just saying we can and should do better than just the QP thread and IRC.. And I'm in to help make it work.

More communication modalities and more communications means less suicides generally in my opinion. Which is worth poo poo here, but I'm willing to back my bullshit retard opinion with some of my time and Disney dollars.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

As far as hosting, I am planning on putting it up on a Virtual Private Server on Digital Ocean. That is quite a bit better than some shared host. It also will give us much higher performance for less money.

I am thinking a $10/month plan should keep us fast even if it gets a bit of traffic. The domain name will be about $15-$20 a year and the SSL cert will be about $50 a year.

I'll go out of pocket on these expenses to get us up and running. Maybe after deployment we can add a paypal donate link or something to help with expenses down the line.

Here is a link to Digital Ocean and the server specs for interested parties:
https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
1GBMemory
1 CoreProcessor
30GBSSD Disk
2TBTransfer

I have a few VPSes on there already and it has worked great for me in the past. Linode is also a good choice, but I've been preferring DO lately.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 1, 2014

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

while on the subject whats the GIP irc?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Reverand maynard posted:

If you were cool enough for the Irc crew you'd know already ;) (it's in the synirc Chan directory)

But this brings up a separate point: We def 100% want to support a truly GiPper owned/controlled IRC servers/channels for counter suicide operations. We could benefit from having both accessible versions and secured channels for counter suicide operations.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
(#KoolKrew #Milgoons :ssh:)

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

Used to be #milgoons, but MOTD there says it was moved to #koolkrew on Synirc.

Anyone got some photos they wouldn't mind sharing for the website? I am looking for stuff that is free/public use and acceptable for the general public to put on the front page to get across the message of helping vets.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 2, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
the long and short of #milgoons is that it died a bad death due to a couple of people loving it up w/ pilot chat all the time. #koolkrew is defunct, make your own channel.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Delizin posted:

Used to be #milgoons, but MOTD there says it was moved to #koolkrew on Synirc.

Anyone got some photos they wouldn't mind sharing for the website? I am looking for stuff that is free/public use and acceptable for the general public to put on the front page to get across the message of helping vets.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I'll toss in $5/month for the fund; but I also think as long as we have a secure&anonymous way to link up, there doesn't need to be NSA proof encrypted 9304-bit secured transmissions or whatever. I mean, I would (for myself) just want to look up someone and dial his google voice number (for example) and connect to him. Or text, really. I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone's science project; all I have to contribute is a token dollar amount coming straight from my disability paycheck. Seems to me like all we really need is a way to find each other. Once two people agree to speak, they don't need private means beyond what already exists in daily life. Am I missing something?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Zeris posted:

...I also think as long as we have a secure&anonymous way to link up, there doesn't need to be NSA proof encrypted 9304-bit secured transmissions or whatever. I mean, I would (for myself) just want to look up someone and dial his google voice number (for example) and connect to him.
....... Seems to me like all we really need is a way to find each other. Once two people agree to speak, they don't need private means beyond what already exists in daily life. Am I missing something?

i'm a big fan of keeping things simple when trying to future proof things involving a large group of people.
thats why i keep mentioning google hangouts & a dedicated Gip Hangouts group, to be used in addition to whatever GetHelp website or GetHelp forums get created or shared.

plus-side: Hangouts is better than IRC, and isn't facebook. people can always use Google Voice #'s if they don't want to share their personal #'s.
Google Hangout's message history feature is good for our types of issues.
downside: you need to be logged into google hangouts app. this may mess with peoples preferred SMS/texting app. Hangouts isn't facebook.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3111943?hl=en

quote:

When you leave a group Hangout a few things will happen:

You’ll no longer be notified about new messages or video calls in the Hangout.
You’ll no longer have access to the Hangout’s history.
Other people in the Hangout will still be able to see the Hangout’s history including the messages you sent.

If you’d like to rejoin a group Hangout, someone who is still in the Hangout must add you back. Once you re-join, you’ll have access to the Hangout’s history including the messages sent after you left the Hangout.

I vote Shim as the proposed Google Hangouts admin/creator.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I'm all for supporting anonymoussinglechristiansoldiermahreenmeet.com as posting from a non-paywall protected forum has gotten a few of us in trouble in the past. Will this be an exclusive GIP resource or will it be open to the outside world as long as they're willing to be vetted as well?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

McSpatula posted:

I'm all for supporting anonymoussinglechristiansoldiermahreenmeet.com as posting from a non-paywall protected forum has gotten a few of us in trouble in the past. Will this be an exclusive GIP resource or will it be open to the outside world as long as they're willing to be vetted as well?

My hatred of all things mission creep compel me to insist this remain a GIP thing

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Summation of my fears:

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
please require everyone to put their ribbon stacks in forums signature (verified first of course)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
#koolkrew is dead, long live #koolkrew

I'd be down to help. I'm a programmer type with a C and Python background. Not too useful with web stuff but I can figure things out pretty good (except the english language)

edit: DD-214 or most recent eval

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Zeris posted:

My hatred of all things mission creep compel me to insist this remain a GIP thing

I feel like anything more complicated than Google Hangouts would get bikeshedded into oblivion.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MancXVI posted:

I feel like anything more complicated than Google Hangouts would get bikeshedded into oblivion.

Seriously, google hangouts. best way to go. plus you can do it on your phone and poo poo.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Keep it simple, then it will be fine. Google hangouts seems like it would work.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mike-o posted:

Keep it simple, then it will be fine. Google hangouts seems like it would work.

agreed. Shimazu: fire up your imagination & create a bizzare Google Hangouts group name.
suggsted group names:
Group Shame, wtf is a sadbrain?, DD-214 required

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 2, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They banned Hitler's Gay Secret. Thanks GG!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

They banned Hitler's Gay Secret. Thanks GG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Down to throw :20bux: if not more at this

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I asked the old thread to be shadow moved so it wouldn't be accessible any more. I support this idea and if someone wants to type up an OP for a referral thread pointing folks to this location I will stick it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I agree with this and want to help in any way possible. If we're going to grow this into something larger, we should do it proper. There are definitely security concerns regarding pii, but this is a pretty outstanding resource and should be preserved.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Let's just move GiP off site completely. I don't really even post anywhere else but to troll anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

the reddit gip died extremely fast and won't be missed by anyone.

• Locked thread