Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does this sound like something worth doing?
This poll is closed.
Yes 53 94.64%
No 3 5.36%
Total: 56 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Down to throw :20bux: if not more at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How does google hangouts work exactly? I know it's kind of like a chat room where you can send pictures and stream webcam but is it always there even if no one is signed into it or?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry on mobile for the next couple days. Pretty sure there's an app though

You guys using throwaways for it? I mean, is it going to be somewhat private? Idgaf if you dudes know my deets but yeah

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The google hangouts gonna be strictly for "get help" or is it irc kk moker and friends party zone 2.0

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok now I really don't know if this is a running joke or not

Must upload picture of you in dress uniform (even if they don't fit) holding sign with SA name

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cape?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah google hangouts is actually going pretty good and tons of people in it now. No crisis yet but still nice to vent there etc

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 12, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cleared pms try again

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

We still getting Dogge pics in the hangout?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gonna have to say it again but don't loving drink.

My experience is with USMC poo poo but I'll chime in my 2 cents as I'm sure it's applicable.
First off, I know you don't want people to know about any of your issues and if you're seeking treatment etc. I could only imagine the backlash if one of our platoon commanders was known to be at mental health. The rumors that would spread, trash talking, etc. That being said no one has to know and no one should know (Unless you want them to). For us mental health was pretty much walk-in and voluntarily (sometimes forced, of course) It was also at the RAS and not our BAS. You could go to the BAS and see one of the MOs about the issues and they'd just refer you to the RAS anyways and write down your name to keep tabs on you. So it'd be hard for anyone to really know unless they were doing mental health treatment too.

Also, please don't think seeking any kind of treatment will flag you and prevent you from ranger school, etc etc. That's an unfortunate misconception in the Military, especially infantry, that leads to the viscous cycle and poo poo spiraling out of control while some PTSD ridden Lance Corporal binges hard with alcohol to cope and inevitably hangs himself in his barracks room with a belt leaving behind a wife and kids (ask me how I know)

Lastly the unit I was in had an MFLC (Marine Family Life Counselor) and there's a pretty big emphasis on that more recently because of the above scenarios. Pretty much every battalion has one and I could only assume the Army does the same. They're licensed civilian counselors. They don't write anything down, which is the big difference, and don't tell anyone anything. They mostly handle family/marital issues but you should have something similar. Sometimes for people just talking to someone like that can help a lot and they'll work with you and are very flexible. Some people just need that disconnect from the Military altogether, talking to someone not in uniform, and lack of paper trail for reassurance and to get them to even seek out talking to someone.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 13, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well not drinking because of work is a good thing and means you at least have some self control. It sounds like you're just not compatible with the Military mindset and have the same complaints as any other active duty member, especially enlisted. That's why most of us get out. But you did sign a contract and you do have the play the game and go through the motions.

But relax dude. You do have a degree and are an officer. So you're doing pretty ok. Definitely look into hobbies, etc. I know you're on deployment and I don't know the circumstances surrounding but martial arts definitely helped me.

Seek out your MFLC type person and just have a quick chat with them man. (assuming you have one) You'll feel a lot of weight lifted off your chest. Sometimes you just need to vent. That's also largely what the google hangouts chat is. It's mostly just bs chat and dog pics but people also poke in and bitch/vent about work and life etc. Mental health is there also, use it. But if you've even had any SI (suicidal ideation) at all I'd definitely say you need to seek out one or the other. Possibly both. The latter will probably refer you to the counselor anyways.

I'm not here to preach but just want to say that alcohol has some pretty lasting effects on your brain/mental health even if you haven't drank for weeks or even months. I know it's easy to scoff that off as bullshit and "I haven't drank in like 3 weeks!" I know I denied it.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Most medical professionals say it takes 6 months for the effects to fully stop loving up your brain chemistry. Possibly longer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

if I'd just taken better care of myself and gotten help sooner.

anddd this x a million

iyaayas01 posted:

Also you probably won't have a MFLC on a deployment but when you get back definitely look them up (counseling through Military OneSource is another good option.) Both programs offer civilian counselors and everything is off the books. If you are legitimately suicidal they will probably try to eventually refer you towards military mental health both because medication will likely need to be part of the equation (MFLC/OneSource are only counselors and therefore can't prescribe meds) and because your treatment will likely need to be an on-going thing for at least a little while (both MFLC and OneSource are restricted on the amount of total visits you can have) but MFLC/OneSource are good ways to step up to full blown mental health treatment if you have reservations about just walking in the door to mental health and declaring that you need help.

Yeah also forgot to mention the counselors cannot diagnose anything (although they might hint at it) and don't deal with meds.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Creeping up on a year sober, and my head feels pretty clear. Still dream about drinking all the time though.

I still dream a lot about getting drunk and get random cravings. But all the minor withdraw symptoms are finally starting to fade (anxiety, lovely sleep, etc)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Added you guys you can edit out your emails now. Hekk remade it because the convo history was slowing it down or something but that was a while ago (month or two?)

But yeah come hang the channel is usually popping. Every now and again someone vents and about half the users are going through a divorce

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit got it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Talking to him in hangouts

Ya'll get in here

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wait, what? I don't know anything about you (where you, work, branch, etc) but at the most your CO and maybe one other brass should know as well as your most senior enlisted. Exactly for that reason. I mean unless it was work related somehow or something happened at work. But even if you're leaving work for an appointment no one should really know your business unless you're an active risk and even then not everyone.

• Locked thread