Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Always be in the middle of the pack for literally everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I was not in shape before going to boot camp. I wasn't in shape when I left boot camp.

I would go so far as to state that the best shape I was in was after I got out and had time to go running and biking every day.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Hekk posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've got the macbook and an external hard drive full of movies, an ereader, and a 3DS to mess around with. So I am hoping that'll help cure boredom.

Next question: Over the years I've seen the shellback certificates and hear there is a hazing ritual/ceremony for those who have never crossed the equator. Is this something worth going through? I have heard stories from dudes that have been on ship before about crawling around in food slop and grease and having to eat something out of some fat chief's bellybutton or whatever. Just trying to figure out if this is a thing that people actually do or if it's just a way to gently caress with the new guys.

11 years in and never crossed the equator

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Christoff posted:

Almost every reservist I talk to loving hates it and is trying to go AD and I never understood why. Always seemed like a decent gig especially if you caught any deployments/IAs (assuming you were making a poo poo wage if you even worked) which is probably true for most

Ehh... It's not that bad. I've found that it's been a pretty good way to get affordable healthcare while being a college student. I couldn't imagine doing it if you had a regular job though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Zotix posted:

What was the mistake? Aecf, the reserves, or both?

I would be willing to bet a small sum of cash that your assignment after bootcamp/a/c school has nothing at all to do with the AECF field. The Reserves severely misrepresents how important your rate is to what you actually get assigned to do.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

squarerandom posted:

Its actually not all that bad, it's just super annoying how dumb it is just for me to check emails and do 'training exercises' to try and want to do cool poo poo but ultimately not able to, and it's a string of dumb-dumb stuff going on at one drill week without me knowing.

The part I dislike the most about the Reserves is how much of my non-military time they expect me to spend on things. I don't mind writing awards and eval stuff in my free time (especially since I'm one of the only people in my unit that's ever done either since most are not prior active duty)... but I do dislike the constant email, text message, voicemail, phonecall bombardment. About 20% of my inbox is related to the Reserves at any given time.

I might just buy COBRA healthcare after my next internship ends and say to hell with it. Ride that out until graduation then get a ~real job~

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

theAcidQueen posted:

Get hosed, Navy Medicine.

You force me to hobble on a sprained ankle for 2 WEEKS while you pretend that i'm limping all over the ship for no goddamn reason, then wait until i'm brought back from the emergency room on crutches before you ask me

"Well, you can't be on crutches forever, when are you coming back"?

I'm done.

I literally hope I fail this PRT, AND the next one, and finally get my discharge papers. There has to be life beyond the Navy, there has to be.

The Navy will cripple you for life if you let them. No one gives a poo poo about you other than yourself. Get an MRI done, document everyfuckingthing.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Not to break up lazy corpsman chat but can anyone get on NSIPS from an NMCI computer?
Trying to decide if it's worth it to drive to base to try to log in from something other than my laptop.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I cant log on from my laptop due to CONNECTIVITY ISSUES DUE TO RECENT MAINTENANCE according to the main site and help desk. I want to put in a reschedule request for drill and need to do so relatively soon.

I am wondering if it is currently working for people on NMCI computers.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

So it looks like the quarterdeck watch has pissed off enough departments that they're going back to it being staffed by those stuck in holding. This was pretty much the best news and now I can't use "gently caress duty days" as an excuse for getting out of the Navy. But seriously, gently caress duty days, they have no point at an intel command.

i wish i could compress the thousand+ hours i've spent on duty writing down unchanging specs every hour, put it into a syringe, and inject it into you

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I just want you all to know I have one test, one lab, and one homework assignment until I'm off for a week to celebrate conquering turkeys or something

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

havent stood duty since 2012. graduate college in 18 months. routing reserves irr paperwork the day my corporate healthcare kicks in after this next summer intern session assuming i stay where im at.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

I guess I just bought into their whole Honor Courage and Commitment bullshit, and the fact that they are always spouting poo poo that is pretty much propaganda is another thing I hate. A civilian job is just a job, if a coworker on the outside tried to sell working in a lab or working on a patient ward as a lifestyle I'd just push them away.

I take it you have never worked for a major corporation before. I have the GOOD ENGINEERING PRINCIPLES card of virtue that I have to wear on my security badge. We have company picnics that you are expected to attend. We have a PRIDE STORE where you can spend cash or company scrip. There are company posters everywhere. We have MECHANIC OF THE WEEK and ENGINEER OF THE MONTH awards.

Sound familiar?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

I was interviewing at a large company in the DFW area here and they had some people from the tech group take two of us around to see the data center and other stuff afterward. When they said, "the company story is next to the cafeteria," I might have not stifled the laugh thinking of paying with script for polos and lanyards.

In all fairness, our cafeterias are all pretty good. We have a cafe, standard cafeteria area, and a food court setup with 6 different themes stations. Kind of rocks.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

My favorite CO had a framed picture of Guile from Street Fighter on his wall. They looked very similar.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Abolish probating. Bring back bans for low content/effort posts. :10bux: for Lowtax.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

incoming weiner

do a barrel roll

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

happy turkey shitlords

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Null Integer posted:

So, I may be looking at being Submarine DQ'd due to medical issues, and need to start investigating possible rates. Any suggestions?

Just in case, write up a resume and make plans just in case your rate conversion ends in an early out. It's happened to more than one friend of mine recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

If it goes that way, you don't get much of a choice. I don't think it's likely to happen but you always want a backup plan.

• Locked thread