Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

printed out some weapons for egg boi, still in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I removed all my hg zgok parts off the sprue to clean up and now I've a dozen nearly identical arm/leg segment parts with no way of telling them apart

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the last time i tried that i had to pry open parts to fit soft caps inside them again. not fun. :v

I really do want to make a Miorene's room diorama. Now I know how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwr88Oa1Baw

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 22, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just realized i can make a nice family unit with these so I went and picked up the demi-trainer since I already have a few egg boys.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gf found an Iwata compressor that someone had just tossed out in the roadside trash. She gave it to me because she didnt have time to try fix it, turns out there was just spilt paint gumming up the power switch and it works perfectly fine! I finally tried it out with an airbrush that I was previously running on a cheap ebay portable compressor tonight and blew the entire paint pot out the nozzle in 5 seconds so I could probably turn the pressure down a little. :v

works well tho.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do p-bandai kits ever just become regular kits? :|

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

If the Prodoros and Desultor become P-Bandai... :negative:

I reallt hope they show up as a later wave of regular kits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

god trying to hand paint a nice even white layer loving blows.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SD kits are so tiny. This was a gift from the gf, the 00 gundam. One of the biggest pains was the head. Couldnt glue it without embedding the face part first but that would make the face super hard to paint so I just didnt bother :v. Came out neat though despite the whites being such a pita.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zudah's a neat suit, even if it cant look directly ahead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cant wait to see that gundam

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

give me fatter Aerial thighs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the bandai date on the front of the box the year the model was last messed with?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cerebulon posted:

Front of the box is the year it was first released. They don't go back and revise old manuals with info like the Japan-only runner recycling scheme, and runners are stamped with the year they were first used (so for example the MG Titans Gundam Mk-II is mostly stamped 2005 because it's basically just the AEUG version from 2005 but in blue/black.) and the little circle dials tell you the month/year the individual runners were specifically manufactured. I'm not sure if they've ever gone back and revised a glaring error in a kit without it being a Version 2.0 or 1.5 years later?

Specific Design: 2006
Runner Design: 2005
Manufacture: December (Z) 00 (2002) + two triangles (10 each) = 2022.

Thanks. Thats very informative! Looks all pretty clear now I know what to look for, except that manufacture date symbol cluster looks like a nightmare

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats one hell of a knee joint

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's not glued together you could also putty up the interior so you have a more secure spot to put a pin in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats a decal setter actually do? I'm assuming a decal softener makes a decal softer and more likely to shape well to non flat surfaces?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that a 1/100 Acguy? chonky

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With Tamiya's panel liners you should seal anything under it to prevent plastic cracking. Does this also apply to gundam pour markers and felt liners?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks. I'm assembling an old rear end Zgok kit which has an abs inner skeleton thing which some ps parts go over. Can I just cement those together, they're kind of loose?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

God this 1999 zgok kit is rough going. So many joins and gaps I'm having to fill and sand back just to get them even and smooth.

And the chest section has a join but I'll have to paint the inset vent pieces first before I can assemble it, so I'm imagining I'm going to have to paint the insets, paint the piece, assemble the chest, then file back/fill the join and repaint it oh god D:

I want a lil domeheaded guy tho. And the abs articulated skeleton is solid as gently caress.

e: gently caress it I'll just mask the vents. whats the worst that could happen :v

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 7, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Nyuren is a pretty handsome suit from that line.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Came out decent. Joints love to loving pop out though. Should give this one final gloss coat. Also it taught me my seam finishes really need to be way better. Didnt realize it was a 1999 kit, lots of weird stuff when compared to modern kits.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 12, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying to edit this to be more color accurate, phone hates the lighting in here. its Mr Hobby Aqueous H89 Metallic green. The plain metal is gunmetal and silver drybrushing. Monoeye is from a craft store's gem sticker section. :3

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats Mr Weathering color based on? Is or more or less aggressive than Tamiya panel liner?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its more the design of the legs that causes it to easily lever the legs out if I try posing them. Will see if the added thickness will help or not!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No necked one eyed robot gang will grow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I only came across abs on an ancient 1999 kit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats what i meant. The Zgok is from 1999 and the only one ive seen with abs so far. Ive only recently gotten into gunpla

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats what surprised me about the abs runners, they were noticably heavier than the usual ones. The lack of heft to gunpla is one thing that bothers me about it. Wonder if I can load up parts with putty and shot for some heft.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If using oil paints for weathering, how long should they be left to dry? Oils do have a longer drying time on canvas but I imagine its much shorter for the smaller amounts weathering uses?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

24 hours is generally a good minimum time. They stay pretty pliable and oily for a while, even once most of your solvent evaporates out.

Thanks. Seems less than ideal if you want a one day build or something. Going to give enamel + thinner a try on a coated model and see, since mr weathering seems perpetually sold out of black and ground brown.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's also the egg boys.

I quite like the 30mm stuff. The builds are solid, the piece designs are really nice. All seams are hidden with panel lines, theres several different aesthetic groups that work well together.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh boy thats a nice one :3

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was thinking wait does the show have a goblin in it? Oh right it totally does.

Has anyone gotten the HG Daisy Ogre? What do you think? Its currently on sale at a local store and it looks pretty neat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I may just get it. Its such a weird bot :3

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ugh whys painting up stuff gotta make building a kit take way way longer i want my instant gratification noooooow

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The solution is to only buy the eggs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty neat. Spinatia Commando, gave it a paint, panel line, detail and drybrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those things do tend to pop out. I made a few replacements on a resin printer for mine