Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I see there's the "Robot Damashii, The Robot Spirits" line of figures. What about Fix Figuration? Which one tends to have better quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah and while I'm finishing up my Red Astray (I found his swords at last! They were across my room somehow...), what's the difference between adhesive decals and water slide? It comes with both I think, and it's not immediately obvious to me why they come in the two forms.

Also I was watching a tutorial and it mentions something about a decal softener or something?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlitzBlast posted:

Waterslides need to be dunked in water to activate the decals. Then you just slide them off onto the plastic. There are two chemicals you can use afterwards, decal setter to speed up the drying process and improve the adhesion, and decal softener to slightly warp the decal so it conforms to nonstandard surfaces better. They're both basically the same chemical at different strengths, so just stick with setter.

Ah I see. But why include both adhesive decals and water slide decals in the same set? Why not make them all one or the other?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex was already a thing. Why is this a preorder? http://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Metal-Solid-Plastic-Model/dp/B00911UQAS/ref=pd_sbs_t_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=155NN8CTZ7HR46PNGNG2

and it's cheaper than the currently existing one on the market?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

You got it, and speaking as the most recent builder of the black Rex in this thread, the gray one is the one you want to build.

Is there a difference in build quality?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

I don't think there would be.

Then why was the gray one suggested over the black one? Just curious!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Have there been any relatively recent releases of anything from 08th MS Team?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Why did they never release a master grade Jesta Cannon :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Droyer posted:

They did.

It's P-Bandai

I... I... :negative:

They're all $100 on ebay now.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Droyer posted:

try nippon-yasan. it was cheaper there than amazon in any case

Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems that shipping on the site makes it ~$100 again, so it's about the same. :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Revitalized posted:

I... I... :negative:

They're all $100 on ebay now.

The dream is alive!

Visited Taiwan for the first time in 22 years. Hit up the MRT underground mall and checked every single drat store in there. I had just about given up hope and was about to crumble upon my aching feet when I saw it: The MG Jesta Cannon for 1888 NTD. (About 60usd)

Nabbed that poo poo asap.

I'm really tempted to go back and stock up on MG and some HG models. They are all cheaper than in the states... But I'll need to figure out a way to get them back home without negating the savings... Anyone else buy gunpla overseas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

You still in Taipei? Go to this builiding:

http://www.perfectdesignsense.com/martinwandering/various/ximen/wannian.html

There were a ton of hobby stores there last time I was on the island (actually, me buying a HG Strike Noir from a store in Taipei 101 is what put me onto Gunpla several years ago).

I've bought a fair number of kits overseas. The advice given earlier to get the biggest suitcase you can and stuff it with kits works; you can line the suitcase with your clothes or similar items to pad them in the plane's cargo hold. Collapsing boxes is a good strategy if you have so many that you need to, but avoid it unless you are a box collector.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I didn't come back to this thread in time to see your post while I was still in Taipei, buuuuut I did go to the Wainian building and find those shops!

Tons of good stuff in there, but I only left with some clear HG Jestas and some Gundam Converge figurines. The bigger suitcase thing is something I'll note for the next time I go, and Wannian will be one of my stops.

Also, are there plans for an MG Knight Gundam, same as how there have been MG Musha Gundams?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So if I want to get into painting my models decently, I'm going to have to get an airbrush and compressor it seems? Which from my first glance at Amazon, looks like it'll cost like $200 to $300?

Also while I'm in the middle of contemplating life choices, how are those cool city dioramas made? Like a war torn office building or urban backdrop for a gunpla?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

Don't know if this helps, but if you already have an air compressor in your garage designed for running air ratchets and poo poo you can hook an airbrush up to that. When I decided to get my feet wet airbrushing, I hooked a $20 dual-action Harbor Freight airbrush to my 8 gallon oiled shop compressor with the intention of upgrading down the road (or at least getting a water/oil filter) but the setup has worked well enough I just haven't bothered over the past few years.

Uhhh we used to have an air compressor for bike tires? I think it's long gone though, so I'm still gonna need to invest from scratch.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Monaghan posted:

... getting a mg Blue Destiny would be awesome though.

I would pop the biggest nerd boner in the world if they did.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So airbrushing is pretty much the only way to paint gunpla huh?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Andy Waltfeld posted:

I guess Gundam M.S.War is also a thing, if you're cool with a US-only, out-of-print card game that's primarily a Wing tie-in and has basically no compatibility whatsoever with Gundam War and its Japanborn ilk?

I remember playing that in Elementary school and thinking that game was way too simple.

From what I understand, they purposely dumbed down the rules when bringing it over to the west. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but I dropped it really quick because it wasn't fun. A year later I discovered MTG and that game made so much more sense to me. I wonder how the actual Gundam card game plays?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever found a missing piece on their runner despite being in the plastic wrap?

I started building this HG Gundam Astaroth and it's missing a single piece. I didn't inspect all the runners and I just got started. When I got to the certain piece, it was just missing from the runner and I have no idea what to do. I've looked around, I don't think I see it anywhere, and I'm 99.99% sure I didn't clip it. (Because why would I, I just started this kit and only cut what I needed)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Droyer posted:

did you check the bottom of the box and all the plastic wraps?

I tried, but I don't see anything :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Having just finished the HG Gundam Astaroth, I think a more articulate and detailed MG version of it would be pretty dope.

The demolition knife would be a bitch to balance at MG size though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Are chrome colors more difficult to paint? Thinking about my first color scheme and some chrome blue pieces mixed in would be neat.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:negative: P-Bandai whyyyyy
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2016/08/p-bandai-exclusive-mg-1100-heavy-arms.html
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2016/08/p-bandai-exclusive-mg-1100-heavy-arms_9.html

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is cool, and makes me want more Overwatch-themed gunpla:

http://imgur.com/gallery/KC4Yg

Where does one get/make custom decals?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wanna buy P-Bandai stuff? Samueldecal. Want to order waterslides? Samueldecal. Want to order third party stuff that's the size of a small child? Samueldecal. Want custom decals made just for you? Samueldecal. Want to get gouged to hell by hilariously inflated prices? GGInfinite.

I did a quick google search.... is this Samueldecal a shop running through... Facebook???

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes, he's pretty much never getting his website up at this point.

Just e-mail him and he'll respond pretty quick.

Cool. Is his facebook shop indicative of everything he's got or do I just inquire and be like "Got an MG Heavyarms (or insert whatever crazy stuff here) by chance?"

also, side question: Has anyone here built that MG Star Build Strike RG System ver? The MG sized clear sparkly one. Any criticisms about that one?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just inherited a bunch of pre-built gunpla.

Is there any tip for painting prebuilt stuff besides attempting to take it apart?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, I had no idea that there was a special linkin park collab gunpla kit.

Also had no idea gunpla appeared in one of their music videos.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are some unusual Linkin Park toys

Whoa what on earth is that?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Meanwhile the box art for the GM Guards Type mocks us with the HGUC P-Bandai GM Sniper Custom

Goddamn I haven't followed Gundam The Origin very much but I've loved all their Federation mobile suits. :swoon:

Paper Kaiju posted:

Behold, this year's winner of the Bluefin's Choice award at GBWC Expo 2018...

I cracked a smile when I saw that on display. It gives me hope that maybe I can win something some day.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Say I don't wanna spend a grand on this and I'd want to give another model kit this sort of treatment.

Could I achieve that by simply painting something black and spraying a gloss top coat over it?

Or is there a little more to it than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was looking at this kitbash between schwarzette and barbatos:
https://twitter.com/Nirlet_/status/1685954700787716097

Does anyone know what he's using to extend the limbs? And also what that middle piece is connecting the torso frame with the hips?