Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Posting in this thread because I hate my wallet and I hate all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I call dibs on any dope MGs and also the shelving.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm experimenting with 00 Raiser to see if the main arm of the action base will sufficiently stabilize them without the little arm if you pose them flat-footed. I figure if his fat rear end doesn't tip over between now and when I get home, it'll be safe to use for when I do the Great Shelf of Tippy Bullshit (I want to do MG Unicorn and Sinanju to go with Nu and Sazabi, eventually).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TARDISman posted:

I like green psychoframe Unicorn more than the red frame, but Unicorn mode is a close second. Hell, if I get drunk and order a Master Grade Unicorn that'll be the mode it'll stay in since otherwise it'll fall apart at the drop of a hat.

Yeah this is what I'm planning on doing when I get around to that part of my "Look at these dope UC Gundams and their red space nazi counterparts" shelf, but I have a bit. At least two more kits before I get there, if not 4, depending on if I do the RX and Char's Zaku sooner or later.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

:siren:HLJ.com is advertising that the Japanese yen is currently in the shitter, so prices are now the cheapest they've been since 2007 if you want to save some cash.:siren:

Holy poo poo I can get the 2.0 RX and Char's Zaku for like sixty bucks with shipping. Put it in me. Put it. In me.

edit and it always works out the smae by the time I figure in the fact that I have prime and would have to wait on shipping. Curse you, Japan.

e2: Is there a way to get a more specific restock estimate than just "December"?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 4, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How's the stand that comes with Nu vKa in terms of being a decent stand that will holid up my plastic space man Jesus and not a "look at this fancy robot pose" thing because I am bad at posing and just want to display a model.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yosuke posted:

The Hi-Nu uses the exact same stand and is pretty good at holding it up, though if you mean for standing poses you're not going to get any out of it for that purpose.

As for putting it all the way in, yeah, you have to make sure its hooked up to the back and the backpack right or you will get frustration of it snapping out.

Dang, that's basically all I want to do beacuse I'm boring and hate posing and just want to put the models that I'm going to put the most work into on a Big Gay Shelf of robot poo poo, and looking at the instructions it doesn't look like there's a clip included for an AB.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I mean theoretically neither are ABs but still. I'll have to use one of the U-shaped clips from an AB kit I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

Well that explains why you bought Neo Zeong, cause it's also boring

gently caress your mother with a stolen dick, you don't talk bad about a dude who looms menacingly over my MGs. Or he would, if I stopped caring about scale and put them on that shelf.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gimme your Sinanju vKa I don't want to pay for one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

A friend informed me that Origin Time is providing the entire MG FA Unicorn plan B accessory pack for only $32.

I think I just died inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

Me IRL.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What the hell is the double snip

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey here's a question: What happens if a package I ordered from HLJ gets marked return to sender, because my mailman is a stupid idiot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mecha Gojira posted:

Call your post-office.

Already did that, but because I did it uhhh....SAL? The one with no tracking number, there's no way to find out if it came through. It was just a marker, I'm just trying to figure out if it'll get sent back and I'll get refunded, if I'm just straight up out five bucks, what's going on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I get a set of .20mm Microns, should I even bother getting that .10mm one on Dick Blick unless I'm like the most autistic dude alive?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bimmi posted:

edit: I don't see one offered in that size? The .20mm nib is still kind of thick IMO but I'm not a fan of Microns in general.

What do you recommend over Gundam Markers?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

I still think that the tamya panel line stuff is the best. Super small brush, lasts forever, easy cleanup.

Is it paint, because I can't paint. I don't have any space to do painting or anywhere to store paint right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh neat,

RD God Gundam (on the right) is almost exactly 1/144 scale. Hell the only difference is due to a redesign, so it basically is. The rest of the RDs should also be close, so this is the closest we'll ever get to the HGFC line we all dream of.

poo poo, how did I go from buying model kits to buying action figures

Now when you say "The rest"...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

Master and Shining already have release dates, and Rising and Fuuinsaiki were shown last expo. Supposedly this is how they're celebrating G Gundam's 10th anniversary, so hopefully they won't all just vanish into the pit of forgotten prototypes like the GP-01 fb or the Airmaster Burst. And hey, maybe they'll release the full Shuffle Alliance.

To quote a movie, Lord, I'm not a praying man, but please, give me a bunch of little plastic robot action figures.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe with the RG Wing Zero Custom coming next month they'll do the right thing and announce at least one of the other Endless Waltz RG's :pray:.

The release poster hinted at them using the skeleton for the other ones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

I would murder a child for an RG Tallgeese.

I've never even built an MG or done panel lining, though, so I'd probably just gently caress it up.

It was the five Project Dumb Anime Bullshit Gundams, more specifically.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
See I found a real good solution to wanting the green frame but not wanting the tippy nightmare of FA Unicorn:

Don't put the backpack and poo poo on him. Boom, no paint required, you're welcome, I accept cash and personal checks made out to Dickeye Tennyson.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, but it's an extra $40-50 and frankly I don't want to pay the extra in addition to which I don't have enough MGs with weapons I don't like that much to replace with the Full Armor pieces.

Right now it's about a ten dollar difference on Amazon. MG FA Unicorn vKa 2.0 Build Custom Amazing is 82 dollars to the regular MG Unicorn vKa's 70.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just ordered that 80 dollar FA Unicorn vKa fuuuuuck

Fuuuuuuuuck

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

lol u so wacky

I really shouldn't have ordered it but it's literally fifty dollars off and I want that green frame dammit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Now buy a neo zeong.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
All you all need is the Neo Zeong.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

Just because you have buyer's remorse doesn't mean you're allowed to try and stick that on the rest of us.

Who said I have buyer's remorse? It looks baller on my shelf.

Fauxtool posted:

I have spent a ton of money on plastic, but I can comfortably say I never wasted it on something terrible like a neo zeong. Even the dendrobium seems better since its not 50% hollow space.

would you rather have 1 neo zeong or 20 HG kits? Zeong only makes sense at a sub $150 pricepoint

One zeong, as evidenced by the fact that I don't have many HG kits and prefer building fewer MGs.

Now, if you asked me if I'd rather have a few MGs, that's a tougher call, because I do really enjoy buidling them, but the Zeong still looks dope.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 10, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mecha Gojira posted:

If the tips of your thumbs aren't mostly scartissue at this point, you haven't been in this hobby long enough.

I cut off the tip of my index finger the first time I used an xacto. And I mean the tip, a nice little hunk came out and I was all out of bandages so I had to wrap my hand in a towel and drive to the store with one hand and cannibalize a box of Band Aids in the aisle before I paid because I was bleeding hard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I trim all my nubs with a chainsaw and cut towards myself, with my eyes closed to keep plastic out of them. Y'all are bustas.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zodar posted:

First time painting a kit, so I'm pleased with how this is turning out. Finished priming, masking and painting the baby Sinanju today; tomorrow I'll be doing details in enamel brush (read: one hundred golden fleur-de-lis painted on a grain of rice) and topcoat.

I always thought the Neo Zeong's burgundy & white body clashed with the Sinanju, so I'm going to try painting it with the same cherry red & gold trim as its core suit.

It ends up not looking too bad because so little of it is visible, and it being a brighter red helps the Sinanju pop more. It looks like an actual separate robot thats piloting this giant one, and not just one big thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
People with a little more HLJ experience than me: Is there a way to tell the difference between "backordered" and "we will never get this back in, go find it somewhere else"?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

Also if it's more than 15 years old and isn't a MG you're probably poo poo out of luck.

Good thing all I want are MGs at this point. I was just checking because I'm looking at kits for Shelf Part Deux (old school Zeon suits) and a lot of them (Z'gok, Gelgoog 2.0, Zeong) are listed as backordered/out of stock, and I know the HG 00 kits are listed that way and have been for approximately Forever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't quote me on this but I believe backordered means they're waiting for a certain threshold of people to order the model before they go out and buy them. It's a real crapshoot to how long it'll take. I've ordered backordered stuff that's gotten payment requested in a week, but on the other hand I ordered the ESF GN-XIII last March and it's still sitting there pending.

Harumph. To eBay and Amazon I go, I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
People who have built the 00 Raiser, what's E16 for? I can't find it in the book, it's not crossed out, and I'm too lazy to comb through that book again. I'm thinking it's maybe a plug for his back?

Fauxtool posted:

Mandarake is a really good place to find kits way below retail
I get all my exclusives there

They also don't have the few I rattled off that I know are backordered on HLJ.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

It's the bit that connects the two GN Sword IIs. It's on the page talking about how you can use all the accessories so I guess you just skipped past it.

I didn't even think to look at that part, to be honest. I was just trying to finally do the last few things (extra hands, pieces like E16, making sure I'm not leaving anything on the sprues, etc) and assembling my spare AB1 before MG Unicorn gets here tomorrow, and the accessories page is one I skip past by default when I'm doing this poo poo because "Well poo poo I already made all the little doodads and they're finished so what could possibly be in there."

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 12, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fauxtool posted:

Just because you cant find them doesnt mean they dont have them.
The way to use it isnt to find what you want exactly when you want it. You check back every few days or every day if its popular until its in stock

That sounds like a bad way to shop as opposed to "This place has thing, the price difference, if any, is negligible (for whatever your definition of that word is), now I own it."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

everythingWasBees posted:

Nah, it's the same as checking craiglist or whatever for a good deal, except it's all in one spot and easy to deal with.
Seriously, mandarake is fantastic for getting cheap exclusives. especially if you don't care about whether your box is mint.

If I cared more about exclusives and not just "This is my list of kits to buy, I want them" I'd probably be all about it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Throw them all in the trash, get Build Burning and a Z'gok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

chumbler posted:

The Z'gok I'll give you, but Build Burning is dumb butt for butts. I'm sorry.

gently caress no, that kit's dope and a real fun build. One of the things Gunpla TV pointed out that I didn't realize somehow was the shoulders are constructed as hinges on the torso, so when you bring the arm forward it actually moves with it instead of the arm sort of pulling away from the torso. It looks really goddamn good.

edit and then buy a Neo Zeong.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 12, 2014