Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Jesus, I have like 10 unbuilt kits, 7 of which are master grades and I thought I had problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Current backlog:

Frame Arms Magatsuki (current project, but really needs the silver paint to pop)
Frame Arms Second Jive
HGBF Powered GM Cardigan
RG Strike Freedom

That's not a backlog for most people, I know, but I have a tiny flat with no space for more than that.

Mine is the MG Unicorn, MG RX-78 3.0, MG Geara Doga, MG Heavy Arms, MG GP01fb, MG Sazabi ver. Ka, HG GM Sniper II, HG Geara Zulu, and a couple old Zoids kits I found at a con. I'm currently working on the MG Gundam X and I have it mostly assembled.

The local store also has an RE 1/100 Nightengale and a bunch of perfect grades and I'm tempted. I might ask for a PG Zaku II or RX-78 just to have a perfect grade.

I've also thought of getting the Mega Size Models just to have an enormous loving Zaku or Gundam.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Oh if we're counting incoming stuff I've got MG Unicorn and Red Frame Kai.

Speaking about that, I'm going to be running my first Gundam club meeting today and I'm gonna work on the MG Unicorn as I stole the idea from Blitz Blast. Hopefully people actually show up.

I got the Unicorn on sale for $40 and I mostly got it so I wouldn't feel like I was the only person on earth not to have a Unicorn.

I like the look of the green frame way better than the red, but I didn't want to pay for the Full Armor which has a bunch of poo poo bolted on that I'll never want to use. I'm torn of I should paint the inner frame green or just leave it red. If I paint it green, it won't be transparent anymore.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Should have got the FA and just used the extra weapons as bonus equipment for your other models :eng101:

Yeaaaahh... but for $40 on Amazon, I was like "that's so cheap I can't say no!"

Like a part of me wants to paint the psychoframe silver then clear green, but then it won't match my Nu ver. ka and that would bug me. Then again, some of my models are weathered and some are not so they don't match anyway...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A Republican majority got me pretty depressed but hey my first Gundam club meet was a success! Thanks Blitz Blast or whoever the gently caress was doing it for giving me the idea so I could shamelessly steal it

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The MG Gundam X's satellite cannon is so cool. It's really shiny and rainbow-y and the transformation is fun. First time I've ever said Ive enjoyed a gundam's transformation. Plus, after doing the Turn X and Nu ver Ka back to back, I needed a break from big, complicated kits. Had I done the Unicorn or Sazabi ver Ka next I would burn myself out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sorry for the political chat.

For my Unicorn, I wonder if I should use testor's metallic green, or just silver and spray clear green over it. I also wonder what would happen if you sprayed clear green over the clear pink plastic.

I also might just do the Heavyarms after the X too, because I'm doing a Wing watch through and I'm in Wing mode.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I used clear blue over silver for my custom paintjob, and it worked really well so green should go great. But that said, clear green over the pink might just work. I tried spraying clear blue over an extra set of beam sabers I had, and you couldn't even tell they were ever pink.

If you decide to try it on a runner, take a picture, because I might actually do the clear green over pink for the PG Unicorn I'll get eventually.

Yeah, I think I might experiment with clear green over the clear pink\red and see what happens. If it winds up being some horrible abomination, I can always just strip the paint off.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Is the Extra Finish line even remotely worth bothering with? They look pretty neat, but the markup is pretty drat steep, and I can imagine hiding nubs/sanding marks is a right pain in the rear end.

Basically, please talk me out of preordering the RG Exia Extra Finish from Genteikits.

e: some pictures Dalong has up of them make the nubs very prominent in comparison to their normal counterparts.

If you want a metallic finish so bad, you're honestly better off painting it yourself in my book. Not only do you not spend a fuckton of money on the kit, the nubs won't nearly be as visible.

Now the chrome and clear kits you can't exactly make on your own, but I'm not really into those, anyway.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oh jeez... so I might have a teensy Robot Damashii problem...

I also got this cabinet for my MGs for $10!

I need a better camera than an iphone.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

My Turn A is weird in that it came with some game and when you flip it upside down, it beeps and flashes colors. Dunno what series it's from, I just randomly picked it up off a guy. Same with the Zaku, I just stumbled upon it in a comic shop like 13 years ago.

Also the MG Gouf 2.0 is great.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, I am a dumb mother fucker.

Instead of clear green... I now have clear black.

Yes, I know I just sprayed the runner. I'm lazy and I figured I could paint over any nubs that are exposed.

Soooo... now I'm gonna have to strip all of this off and do silver + clear green like I should have in the first place.

Uh... any suggestions for taking off testor's enamel on an entire loving runner?

If it's any consolation, I only got the kid for half price :smithicide:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

*Kit. Model kit. Goddamn auto correct. That one's really bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I wonder if I could just spray silver on top then clear green and hopefully it won't be too tight. I did like 2 coats. I plan on leaving it in Destroy Mode forever and never using the unicorn mode.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Model paint is really thin. You should just be able to prime over it with gloss black and continue on your way.

Thank god. I thought I was hosed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Look, if you can afford to blow money on a Neo zeong model like its nothing, you must be part of the earthbound elite and your soul is weighed down by earth's gravity. In that case we the space proletariat may drop a space colony on your house. You have been warned.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TARDISman posted:

He raises a good point. Dress it up like Santa in 3 weeks in the spirit of the holiday season.

I have the transformers metroplex that is 2 ft tall and I kinda want to dress him up in osh kosh b'gosh and stick him in a carseat and drive around

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Neo Zeong in my hobby stories gonna rot on that shelf forever because none of us Gundam nerds actually want one lol

Also I was thinking about putting Eva-01 on top of the tree in a jesus pose but I got the look of death when I suggested it so probably not

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I said it earlier but stop hating on big red. I haven't heard any complaints about it's engineering.

I just hate on big red because it's $300 and looks really ugly.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

It's more that he recommends it constantly, to the point where he almost seems like a spambot.
I don't think BlitzBlast even talks about the Gundam X as much as he does the Neo Zeong.

I'm actually gonna back BlitzBlast up here by saying that the MG Gundam X is baller as gently caress because the satellite cannon is loving sweet. And I've only seen like 10 episodes of Gundam X, too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What's fuckin' bonkers about that is AFAIK, there's a HG Gundam X, Double X and Airmaster, and a MG Gundam X. I don't know of any others besides the vintage ones.

At least I'm not one of those guys with a million unicorns. I swear to never do that. Why do you people have like 10 versions of the unicorn? Is one not enough? I'm gonna have 1 Unicorn, then never get the Banshee, Phenex or Full Armor and actually get different models.

I do have a Zaku 2.0 in both green and char flavors as well as a Gouf which is 70% the same kit but Zakus rule, man. I'm trying to avoid the Shin Matsunaga, Johnny Ridden and Zaku cannon because I've already built that kit thrice.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I... I literally just said.

How are you going to do the heads? Take them off GMs or something?

Also, how'd you wind up with that title, anyway?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Uznare posted:

You seem to have missed the resin conversion kits that are also in that picture. They're $$$$$$$$$$$ of course. But hey G-Bits.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice those. Goddamn.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm not too happy with how this is turning out. This is the Gundam build from hell.

I broke the part the holds the head together and the paint makes it so most things won't close all the way (namely the chest). Also, should have waited and topcoated it instead of being lazy because man that poo poo scratches off easy. I think I might see if I can spray some into a cup at point blank range and see if I can use that to hand paint some areas where it scratched for touch ups.

I should have just been like "you know, I'm happy with the clear pink."

That, or paid the extra $40 for the full armor and not have been a cheapass.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

welcome to my life circa 2013 when I tried to do the same thing. I got so frustrated that I've put the project on hold. Not sure If I'll ever go back to it.

Man, I wish people would have told me not to do it instead of "yeah man, just paint it!"

I've heard you can order replacement runners from Bandai for free. Has anyone tried that? Maybe I can get the A and B psychoframe runners replaced. Maybe I could even get them in green if I can give them the ID to the full armor.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, I guess what I'll have to do is soldier on, finish the thing and figure out a way to touch up whatever gets scratched off when I side the pieces together.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I wanna get the RE 1/100 Dijeh and Gundam MK III. I'm really hoping we get some designs from 0080 and ZZ in this like, as they're really are many MGs for either series.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Which suits were in 0080 that don't already have MGs?

Everything that isn't either the Alex or Kampfer.

GM Sniper II, Hygogg, Zaku FZ, Gelgoog Jaeger, GM Cold District Type, Mass Produced Guncannon and so on.

Not only are they really cool designs, I'd like a Sniper II, MP Guncannon and GM Cannon so I can make the White Dingo team.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So, they're doing this for the PG...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152826403231897.1073741904.382602901896&type=1

Anybody know where I can get these for the MG?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So a friend of mine is like "hey, uh I'm doing a panel about gunpla at an anime con and I signed you up to present, too."

Huh, this is gonna be interesting.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

Take pics of the weirdos for us to laugh at.

If I took pictures of weirdos, that would make me a weirdo.

I went to an anime con for the first time last year and it was a total shock to me. Before I had only gone to Transformers conventions and toy shows. Surprisingly, cons where grown rear end men buy kids toys are a lot more normal than anime cons. And also a lot less smelly. I got some DBZ figuarts for reasonable prices though so it was worth it.

I don't understand how people can go without showering. I feel disgusting if I don't shower ever day.

There was one in my hometown last month and I figured I'd check it out just to see the dealer room. It was bad. Luckily a friend of mine was there so I could borrow his badge and not waste $15 to get in. I was there for like an hour and a half before I was like "lol I'm out". I went up into an elevator and two large furries making weird noises and blaring j-pop from their iphones followed me into it. Needless to say, on the way out, I took the stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_bYePrGpIg

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can't possibly fit enough :flashfap:s into this post, so I'm not even gonna try.

Jesus H. Christ. That gives new meaning to the word "excess."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

This isn't model talk, but I'm kind of on an Eva kick because a friend of mine just saw it for the first time.

I have the SoC SPEC figures of the TV versions of 00, 01 and 02. They are awesome and I love them.

I've considered getting 00 (Rebuild orange) and the 400% sync 01. And maybe the Rebuild 01.

My question is, what is the difference between TV 01 and Rebuild 01? Are they basically just the same figure, but the rebuild has some more green on it?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, after like 2 years of not building kits, I'm finally in a semi-permanent location and can do it again. I think I'm going to do primarily HGs now instead of MGs just due to time requirements and selection.

It looks like a lot of stuff is expensive web exclusives now, huh? That kinda sucks. Like, the MG GM Command and GM II are web exclusives as far as I know.

They actually did answer my prayers and made a MG GM Sniper II, something I never thought would happen. Now they need to make a RE 1/100 Hygogg.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

These new GMs might get me to buy an MG at last. Love me some grunt suits.

Me too, but all my MG grunt suits are monoeyes, either Zeon or Titans. Now that the GM Sniper II, GM Sniper Custom and GM Command are a thing, it's time to change that.

I guess I just like snipers. The Zaku I Sniper is also cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I’m trying something really stupid and spraying on the runners before cutting them and assembling my MG Kampfer. I had decent luck with an HG Exia before, so I’ll try to cross my fingers. I just don’t know a good method to keep all my parts organized so I don’t mix them up when I disassemble+paint+put back together.

Don't do that. Cut 'em off the runner and sand down the nubs first.

The worst Gundam build experience I ever had was then I did that. To make matters worse, it was the inner frame of the Unicorn Gundam and I was trying to do a candy coat of silver then clear green. Just... don't. Don't do that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Omg just put a matte topcoat on for the first time

Matte topcoat is the best idea anyone has ever had

Yeah. People will look at it and think it's painted, even though it's not painted. Dogs think it's bacon!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

To be fair I usually just do straight matte coat and I haven't really screwed up decals or linework afterwards. That said I kind of just put them on the shelf after I'm done and don't touch them. I don't really "play" with Gundam model kids because they really aren't toys and can be kind of fragile. I mean, I've broken plenty of bits off of them anyway without even doing that.

I also usually just give a kit one particular weapon and never bother using the extra ones ever. Like, let's say you have a GM Sniper. You are always going to give him the sniper rifle. You're not ever gonna use that machine gun or beam sabers. Or let's say you have a Dom. You're going to have it hold a bazooka. 98% of the time they're onscreen, Doms have a bazooka.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Dry rubs look way better than stickers but yes, they are a pain and are easy to screw up. Well, dry rubs look much better provided you don't mess them up lol

I mean, waterslides are by far the best, but everybody knows that. That said, I have never fully decked out a Ver. Ka kit with all the provided waterslides because that's just nuts. It would take me a month just to do all the decals haha

I'm fine with stickers on like, HGUC kits because I usually just straight build those and don't bother putting a lot of effort into them. If it's a MG then I'll put some more effort into it because I want them to look nice.

asterioth posted:

Finished building the RG Unicorn, good god do I love this kit:

That action base with the explosions is freakin' sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/35gSN

Words fail to describe how glad I am that this project is finally finished. They also fail to describe how bad I am at camera settings.

The Hygogg is such a cool MS. Typically I really don't like aquatic MS, but I really do love the Hygogg and Kapool. The Z'Gok is okay.

Yeah, that's right. You heard me. I don't like Acguys. They look so dumb. Yes, I hate fun.