Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gripweed posted:

I think a proper G-Self, on top of lighting, would really benefit from some kind of pearlescent finish. It always seemed shiny to me, but not in a metallic way.

The moonlight butterfly version of turn a has that pearlescent finish. It’s subtle, but very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

brand engager posted:

Yeah I'm already doing two cuts, it doesn't completely get rid of marks

Are the marks a lighter or darker color than the surrounding plastic?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
gainax

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Worked on this off and on for a couple months but it is finally done.

a friend linked a fight scene it was in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nThDGwwrvXg

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Smoke posted:

Little heads-up from the scale modeling thread: Scalemates now also has Gundammates.

https://www.gundammates.com/

If you've got an existing Scalemates account you can log in with that and add the site to your profile, your stash will also be visible there.

Oh hell yeah! This will be useful for me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Big Bizness posted:

This is extremely clean, well done. Very polished. Did you panel line it with a light grey?

Thanks!

And, yeah, I used the Gundam Marker GM02 pen to do the panel lining for nearly everything. The gold parts were detailed with the GM03 brown pen.

The black GM01 pen I find is too dark for most things. I typically only use it when a part itself is gray or nearly black. I don't bother using it with actually black parts anymore. It still has an effect on black parts, but it is too subtle for even me to notice unless I'm specifically looking for it.

I also didn't polish it at all, despite having a polishing cloth that I could have used. I usually only break that or other sanding tools out if I left a noticeable finish when using the glass file to grind away the nubs. That only happened a couple times with this kit.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 19, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
MG Ball is done.

HG Gold Acguy from my trip to Japan a decade ago is next. This kit has been in my backlog the longest.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
All I did was panel line it, btw. The arms are made of a different plastic than the body. Really, it uses like 4 or 5 different kinds of plastic. Along with a couple metal rods and a couple lengths of wire (both used in the arms). It was a very nice mix of materials to work with and helped keep the cleaning and assembly interesting.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finished the gold Acguy I bought on a trip to Japan a decade ago:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Deviant posted:

i use gray because black looks too cel shaded

Yeah, I'm also a fan of gray on most cool tones. I don't like the high contrast you can get with a straight black. I usually save the black for particularly dark tones.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Iymarra posted:

Are there any gunpla which come with metal or metal coated parts? I have heard some kits have after market metal bits (which ones are recommended?) but are there any kits which have them by default?

The MG Ball has two metal rods for the arms. You can check my post a couple weeks ago for them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well, I've had it sitting in a box for uh, 4 moves, and before this week haven't worked on it since 2018 but finally at least got the main body done, and some real batteries for it.

maybe i'll even finish the rest of the kit this decade

Owns

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
man, the mg z'gok definitely shows it's age. limbs are weirdly unflexible, the claw/nail design is super weird and prone to falling out, have to take off two pieces to get access to the mono eye to turn it, spinning rotors on the backpack but you can't actually see them well and have to remove a part to turn them, cockpit door is very hard to open

and i haven't even gotten to the waist or legs, yet!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Mg char’s z’gok completed. It is an old kit (from 2003) and shows it. Limbs aren’t flexible, can’t bend legs too far or it topples over because poly caps, monoeye is difficult to get to when you want to change the position, rotor on bottom of feet don’t freely spin, the part with a leg that the nails slot into can easily pop out, sending the nails everywhere, and other things.

It looks cool, though, and I like the rubber parts (waist, shoulder & ankle joints, pipes going through arms and legs).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Synthbuttrange posted:

love the sassy claw on hip pose there

thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
da boiz

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

boz posted:

I wanna hang with them and their torso friend

Hopefully I can finish that Aerial within the next week or two. Those stickers are maddening. I’ll take my partner’s advice for the remaining stickers and use some dang tweezers.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was wondering where you got a black Acguy til I remembered mine's been painted bright yellow and they arent all like that, and the brown just looks black here. Black/grey's a great color scheme for it tho.

Hah, yeah. It’s mostly just bad lighting because I just took a random pic at my desk. It’s a dark brown.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finished the Recirculation version of the Aerial this weekend. My partner helped me out with this pose.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
acguy remains the best

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MechaX posted:

That’s not how you spell Gogg

gogg is great. but is not best.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
get the mg acguy. it is as close to perfection as we will find on this planet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bandai makes Star Wars models, too. I think they might also have released some models on other anime things like Space Battleship Yamato.

If you want to try a different manufacturer, Kotobukiya makes Zoids which are anime dinosaur robots, if that makes a difference.

You can also find Transfomers kits, Pokemon kits, some actual dinosaur kits, etc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Have the shield and rifle left but basically done. Will have to do another pose in a different configuration. Very fun, quick, and easy kit (other than the stickers being awful and there being so. much. panel. lining. to do).

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 6, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Buck Wildman posted:

noice I also just built this guy. he's hard to get stood up straight because of the back weight

yeah, i also have that problem. and then when actually wielding those lobster claws, he falls forward on them. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
One more pose

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This will be my next kit and will likely take me about a month to do.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
while building the Epyon, i think i have realized that my favorite color schemes are predominately earth tones with bold and/or gemstone accents

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gripweed posted:

I've never ordered anything from P-Bandai, theoretically if one were to get that Black Knight Squad 3-pack, which presumably comes in a quite large box, what would be the ballpark on expected shipping cost to the US?

I think it’s always a flat $10 per shipment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TheMightyBoops posted:

Edit: oh btw of the 3 SD kits I did the SD Wing and Strike seemed to be manufactured or ran around the same time. They had great instructions/paint guides and were both really great kits.

The SD Gundam X Arsene from SD Gundam worlds had slightly worse instructions, the kit doesn’t articulate well in any way and it didn’t even have a runner for rubber parts like most other kits will have, just all pvc.

If you want to look up things like that, this site is a godsend: https://www.gundammates.com