Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Someone should convert a Mock into a Scopedog. A Mockdog. For my amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

The release poster hinted at them using the skeleton for the other ones.
I would murder a child for an RG Tallgeese.

I've never even built an MG or done panel lining, though, so I'd probably just gently caress it up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a strange question.

The gently caress does this say?

For context, it's on the Kotobukiya Alteisen, talking about two different possible parts to put inside the heavy claymore. One is hard plastic (H18), and one is polycap plastic (PCL), and I know it's saying about what the difference in using the two is, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

"Use H 18 if you're going to paint it, PC L for smoother motion."

More or less.
Rad, thanks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My first Gundam Marker arrived, a dark grey one. And oh my god, the difference is like night and day. And I found a nifty little corner-cutting use that saves me a lot of tedium. Once I clip a gray or black part free from the runner, instead of sanding, I can just cut off the nub with an x-acto, and then cover any stress lines with the marker. Now I just need to get colored ones, so I can do this with red and blue parts, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MJP posted:

Can we get some before/after pictures? I do mostly straight builds and while I'm all about painting some internal parts for detail, I'd love a shortcut to make stress marks less prevalent.

How flush are the nubs after you cut them free?
Since you're covering any damage, you can cut completely flush, or even take a little bit off, without worrying about the damage.

Here's a before (where I'd normally start sanding)

And after shaving it down, then covering it up with the marker.

At this angle and light, you can even see where I shaved a tiny bit too much off, but the stress graying is gone completely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MJP posted:

If you're cutting right at the part, though, wouldn't that possibly induce gouging like that cut you have?
Yeah. That's why you want to cut parallel to the surface. Shave off, rather than cutting off. I just got overeager and came at it at a bad angle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speaking of poseability, I just finished my Alteisen, and I've got to say, it has all the poseability of a brick. I mean, I'm glad I got it, because I've wanted one for literal years, and even with my crappy assembling skills, it looks pretty drat rad. But I wouldn't ever recommend the kit to anyone else who wasn't also super crazy about the mech. Even then, I'd probably recommend the Super Robot Chogokin instead. You're already spending $50 on what amounts to an HG, might as well spend the extra $30 and just get a figure that can actually move its arms enough to make an attack pose.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know someone's succeeded when you honestly can't tell which ones are photographs and which are stills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is GM's Counterattack still a thing that's happening?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Last time I actually bought Gunpla was during GBF Tri. I think it's about time my wallet started fearing me again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

asterioth posted:

The fact the Unicorn is actually aparently one of the most stable real grades and not a plastic shrapnel grenade is loving amazing to me.
Wait what

How long have I been away? Last time I checked, the Unicorn was, indeed, a plastic shrapnel grenade.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What kinds of technological advancements in the creation of Gunpla have I missed

Did we invent indestructible plastic

How close are we to the discovery of plavisky particles

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

asterioth posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmvaJDV9hcA

God drat looks really really good I'm think I'm going to end up picking one up. I wonder how long it'll be before the inevitable bennche and full armor versions come out
Holy poo poo :swoon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DKD posted:

"It would look more dignified without the tampons on its back."
:drat:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting result from topcoating my ground GM. I put on the panel lines a little thick because the base plastic wasn't taking thing lines very well. When I sprayed, it started to run and pool in places. I actually kind of like the look of it. Like grease or oil stains.
Yeah. I'd see if I couldn't cultivate it in one or two other good spots.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Welp just put down 90 bucks Canadian for the GaogaiGar kit. Here's hoping it's good...
Keep us posted. It looks amazing!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A One Year Wardrobe malfunction

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've never been a huge fan of the packs that're large enough to be their own mecha. Always remind me of poorly-designed Transformers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Booyah- posted:

Man I love the GM Custom, it's such a slick grunt design. I think I will add some decals to this guy before I topcoat.

That is a sexy-rear end robot.

Edit Looks like it'd be a spectacular base for a custom build, too. Fitting name, then! :j:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

You mean like the guides at the front of modern HG manuals?
That would kind of require buying a Gunpla to know about, wouldn't it?

TL;DR Guide:
Preparation
1. Buy an HG, that's High-Grade, it's the one a beginner wants to build. The HG Hi-Mock is a oft-recommended first kit and here's another one you might recognize, but any High-Grade you want to build will do. Just be aware that some of the older ones may not be in production any more, so could be more expensive.
2. Buy some nippers, an x-acto knife, and some sandpaper, some rough, some fine.
2b. Theoretically, you could get by with just using a pair of nail clippers and the little metal nail file on them, but it's probably gonna show. Bad clippers, in particular, are the #1 cause of stress marks, and can even result in breaking a piece off.
3. Buy a Gundam Marker, it's used for 'panel lining'. You don't really need to paint any these days unless you want to, but panel lining can make a world of difference.

Assembly
4. Try to only clip pieces as you need them, it's much easier than accidentally losing something because you cut it earlier. Make sure you're not cutting off some of the part itself. That can suck, and even ruin a kit if you gently caress up some really major pieces.
5. Clip a bit away from the part. Too close, and it's stress mark time. Then, cutting parallel to the plastic, shave the nub off with the x-acto knife, and sandpaper it with fine sandpaper until it's smooth. (Rough sandpaper is for when you're either not brave enough or it's too difficult to shave off the entire thing.
6. The instructions are usually pretty good, just follow them closely and make sure you don't mix up parts that are similar or mirrored.
7. Once you're finished, use your Gundam Marker to go through some of the recessed white plastic bits that would be metal panels on a 'real' Gundam. Take it slow, don't push too hard. Some people fill it out in every possible edge, give their gunpla a very hard-edge, well-defined look. Others go for only the more important parts, giving theirs a softer, slightly cartoonier look. Which you do is up to you.
7b. If you have colored Gundam markers, you can use them to cover up stress marks. Nice little trick for making your kits look a bit better.

Finished! Congratulations, you've made your first Gunpla and now have all the tools the next time you wanna drop $20 to kill a few hours.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 21, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yay, I did good! :sun:

Edit Added the Hi-Mock recommendation and messed with some of the formatting a bit. Should be OP-ready now.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 21, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm in the OP! :toot:

Edit Is the Astaroth any good as a kit? I've never even watched IBO, but oh my god that design is amazing. :swoon:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 21, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are there any other cool asymmetrical Gundam? I love that design aesthetic, for whatever reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Booyah- posted:

the is possibly the best mecha photograph ive ever seen

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

literally 2mm worth of peg holding the entire top of the kit up
:psyduck:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god, the entire little section of Bearguys :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Hello Gunpla people, I finished this today

Jesus Christ, that attention to detail. Unkempt, you're a loving wizard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I think repurposed for civilian use is a fun one to do.
Yeah, allows for a lot of creativity.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Keep in mind that it has a few flaws compared to other SOC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGlisk2ulU

It's still good, but has some of the issues you'd expect from a combiner toy.
I know this was supposed to be about the toys, but gently caress, this guy is hilarious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah he's a pretty fun reviewer. Goes a little overboard with memes sometimes but that's more because of his fanbase. He doesn't do a ton of gunpla reviews but he does cover plenty of model kits and high-end figures.
I've watched a couple more of his reviews now, and I agree, but also, his sense of comedic timing is flawless, and I'm already subscribed. So, if nothing else, that post did accomplish something? :confuoot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

ZOE2 coming to PC
what

Explain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Help, I can't stop cumming

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MR continues to be best mod. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't understand what's happening here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HG Transient Glacier + red Gundam Pen + my first time building a Gunpla in years = whatever the dick is going on here.

Edit: Raised to the power of my potato phone camera.

Edit 2: Progress report.

Edit 3: Mission complete!

The red was a good choice. This is about 12 hours of work, I'd say, counting a few times I took a break to let paint dry and then :effort:ed on putting on a second coat with a stubborn Gundam Marker.

It's a really fancy-looking kit, once I used some paint to break up the assault of gray/black/purple. Lots of translucent plastic, lots of swooshy pointy bits. Downside, this thing is really going to hog shelf real estate, especially since it can't really stand on its own feet, and it's hard to find good places to grip it where I don't feel like I'm about to break something.

But, with all that purple plastic, if you have an orange light...

Something something trans-am system.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 21, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Like a lighthouse but for weebs.

Am I just going to have to accept that using a Gundam Marker to lazy-paint like I did is going to leave it unevenly coated? I've never used a paint pen before and it's unruly as hell, but I don't have the apartment space for anything more involved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

That's an easy purchase of 5.
BRB, painting Leo Power Rangers versus Hi-Mock Psycho Rangers.

Fake Edit: Tallgeese as the white ranger!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

She's done! And I really hate working with stickers! ...But hey, she looks great and I loved working with such a simple design for once. :D Just a tiny, pleasing build~

That is a cute as gently caress robot and now I wanna build a team of magical girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Incredibly expensive 'limited time exclusive!' chasing.