Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Guess I have to post this at least once per thread:

note: this photo is several years old, and the back wall is now almost totally obscured by a giant stack of HGs, MGs, and random miscellania. Also, my collection 20 years ago covered approximately five times the wall space it does here.

So please, tell me more about your loving backlogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The gunpla is blocking out the light.

This is true on a metaphysical level as well.

Most of my pre-1999 collection lives in stacking Rubbermaid drawers now. Got 23 of these things and they're all full:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Literally The Worst posted:

I call dibs on any dope MGs and also the shelving.

I may someday part with my models but you won't have my storage without a bloody fight to the death.

BlitzBlast posted:

I seem to recall asking about your 1/100 V2A and V2B last time. Or did I PM midjack?

Must have been him. Gonna be a while before I get back in any kind of sale mode though.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
FineScale Modeler has a nice little freebie guide on their site that covers the basics pretty well:

http://www.finescale.com/~/media/Files/PDF/How%20To/EasyScaleModeling.pdf

Their forums are also a good place to get info and advice on pretty much anything related to the hobby.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about partially built kits?

Abigor always was one step removed from a Digimon® so I approve of this. The 1/144 EW bits work a lot better than I thought they would.

It is a goddamn tragedy about those blinding green, non-black-backed interior bits though. That is something you can do with all but the shittiest of brush paints, but you generally have to do it before the parts go together. It is good practice to follow even if your chosen color scheme does not violently clash with the actual molded plastic.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

A thing to remember is that, except for limited kits, they never really leave production entirely with Bandai. They may not make any of a certain kit for a year or so but it will be back someday.

This seems less true now than it used to. Things will go out of production for extremely long stretches, some to the point where you might as well call them discontinued. If someone's asking $40 for a 1986 Gundam ZZ kit, that tells me it's been a good long time since any have been seen at retail, and I believe we're now a couple years into the 00 series being basically unavailable anywhere.

So, my advice would be "buy what you want when you can and backlogs be damned" unless you're comfortable with the idea of possibly waiting several years for your next shot at it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
From the other thread:

TaurusOxford posted:

Bandai cancelled five AGE Master Grades. AGE sucked THAT bad.

I know of the Garfran, AGE-3 and AGE-FX, but what were the other two?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Sanding isn't even an option with those kits. As to whether they're "worth it," that's ultimately a personal call. I think they're tacky as hell, myself.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Don't be fooled, it's pretty much straight grey.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Literally The Worst posted:

If I get a set of .20mm Microns, should I even bother getting that .10mm one on Dick Blick unless I'm like the most autistic dude alive?

edit: I don't see one offered in that size? The .20mm nib is still kind of thick IMO but I'm not a fan of Microns in general.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 7, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gundam Markers suit me fine for panel lining, though that's pretty much all they're good for. I also use thinned acrylics where appropriate and it works well enough.

Hadn't heard of the Tamiya stuff before: looks interesting but is apparently not recommended for use on bare plastic.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Suzaku posted:

Goddammit Bandai, loving give G Gundam the love it deserves.

I think they've tried, but the demand just isn't there.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
For what it's worth, G Gundam got a more or less complete showing in the Mobile Suit in Action! toy line about 12 years ago and they're still pretty cheap and easy to find on eBay. Not as high quality as RD obviously, but posability and accessories were consistently pretty good and filling in the panel lines improves the looks immensely.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
All X-Acto blade types can be viewed on their website, with the #10 being the cheapest curved blade by a good margin.

Also I cut towards myself pretty frequently, but never with enough pressure to actually break the skin. Learned that the hard way.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The #11 kind of sucks for nub removal because the steep angle and long cutting surface means they're more likely to damage the part and they're an awkward pain in the rear end to use, generally. Cheap, yes, but I find them a lot less useful than more specialized shapes.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seriously, one bad knife injury should be enough to clue you in that any cutting force strong enough to pierce flesh is Too drat Much. I bisected the tip of my index finger 25 years ago because I was being an idiot and you better believe I made sure it never happened again. poo poo is no laughing matter and it's certainly not some unavoidable part of the hobby.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure I still have that ol' blue dildo packed away in a box somewhere. It's the sort of thing that'll really make you appreciate the engineering of Japanese kits.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There was a time in the early '90s when I almost never looked at the instructions while building Gunpla, but things were a little different back then.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG ZZ doesn't look too bad if you can get all of its various folding, sliding and rotating parts to sit properly and behave while wrestling the thing into something like a natural pose (note: this is only theoretically possible). Conversely, the styling of the HGUC isn't all that much better on its own but is helped by the fact that it doesn't look like a half-collapsed barn, generally speaking.

The real problem is that, as originally visualized, the ZZ is a clunky piece of poo poo.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 16, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

(and the red elbow bits are in the right place!)

Never even noticed this before, that's pretty I guess.

Really though, the MG looks pretty nice in person in terms of general execution: its failing is that it's a floppy, leprotic, ever-shifting mess of not-quite-adequate mechanisms in service of an utterly ludicrous transformation system and is an absolute nightmare to pose, handle or deal with (I took mine out for a looksee and it shed no fewer than five parts in the first minute, two of which immediately disappeared into the sock dimension so I guess the joke's on me for saying nice things about this bad, bad kit.)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's doable with rattlecans too, provided the colors you're looking for are available.

I'm no authority on candy finishes, but they're basically accomplished by laying down lots of coats, sanding each coat to within an inch of its life and then hand-polishing the living poo poo out of the topcoat. Very labor-intensive, not for the meek.

edit: VVV oh, to be so innocent again.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 16, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fauxtool posted:

just sand normally, wet sanding is excessive. you can rinse in water after

Of course you wet sand, why wouldn't you?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

Gloss paint just matches the sheen, it doesn't keep the properties of a gloss coat.

There's a difference? I was under the impression that gloss is gloss. Washes don't work optimally on flat paint because the surface is rough and acts like a sponge; I assume any gloss paint wouldn't have that issue.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
If you give a single drat about what kits other people buy or don't buy you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Put another way, please don't poo poo up the thread with that sort of thing.

edit: not that we're there yet but it was getting dangerously close a couple of pages ago.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 18, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm not sure how you'd get an opaque yellow & red with a standard inkjet printer. I suppose you could either print a mirror image and paint the colors or use white paper, but either way yeesh.

I'd love to see a metal decal set for the CV emblems but I suppose that would require something like actual demand, and I'm not convinced we'll ever see anything more from the F91 era than we've already got.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also I'm surprised the 00 and Raiser are going to be a single RG kit. Considering the amount of equipment the 0-Raiser adds, I really thought they'd separate that out to its own kit like the Skygrasper and Striker Packs.

My guess would be that most people bought the robot and skipped the plane, so Bandai has "helpfully" removed that option.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The proportions of that Origin Zaku are all over the drat place, but I guess they're following the (ugly) CG animation model pretty exactly so what can ya do.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm not a Unicorn fan at all, but the pics of the full LED setup blazing away like some cheeseball Spencer Gifts novelty lamp have got me questioning my faith a little.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Might as well shut it down, folks, no one's ever going to top this.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Watching him struggle fruitlessly with that knee lock is borderline painful.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
re white Geara Doga: pure white paint will not work well over dark colors, so you'll need to lay down a light grey primer coat first.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ka0 posted:

I want a compressor that will outlive me. What are some good choices?

I have the equivalent of the Silentaire SuperSilent DR-150 that is still going strong after 35 years, but it costs as much as a rent payment.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm no expert on compressors: mine was a hand-me-down but I've always liked that it is almost completely dead silent.

Oil-bath compressors like this will sometimes blow out small bits of lubricant along the pressure line, which is obviously not good, but a moisture trap should keep this from becoming a real issue and you should have one of those installed anyway.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I had to drag this out of the closet to confirm I still had it:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They may release more G-Self packs down the road if the line does well enough. Right now they've got limited bandwidth to push out kits while the show is still running.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love that kit so much. It's better than anything that old has any right to be.

Anyway, a wire spice rack for storing paint is a pretty suboptimal solution. There are lots of better purpose-built types available in both rack and lazy-susan styles, check Micro-Mark or just google at will.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That's not a bad solution at all actually. Only drawback is that the bottles can be knocked off but it's not a deal-breaker.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
God is telling you to cut back a little, also God is a Gundam.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I was loving around with my Gundam 3.0 earlier and it really does not seem like the shoulder joint on that thing will last. Beautiful model but oddly fragile for an RX-78.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've never been a fan of the 2.0's looks, but it's sheer pleasure to just pick up and hold: fucker is solid.