Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I seem to recall asking about your 1/100 V2A and V2B last time. Or did I PM midjack?

I'd wave my backlog dick, but I'm actually starting to work through it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Not gonna lie, I snickered when I saw the DANGER on the wrists.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was all ready to blow my latest paycheck on a MG Tallgeese II and some more 1/100 X kits when I stopped, looked at the Gundam X shrine in the corner of my room, and realized I have enough kits.

It's like I'm learning!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Suzaku posted:

By using the double satellite cannon from the old 1/100 Double X, of course! Also, G-Falcon

Uznare posted:

You should instead buy 8 1/144 X's and the resin kits to convert them into GX-Bits.

You two joke, but I've already gotten both 1/100 DXs as well as two extra HGAW GX's with accompanying resin G-Bit conversions.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was actually planning on giving the 1/100 X Divider's backpack to the MG X, painting it Rick Aller's colors (aka turn the purple into teal) and then replacing it with the 1/100 Double X's backpack since I hosed up that kit so hard.

everythingWasBees posted:

I've gotta ask, why the fascination with the Gundam X?

Because it is a Good Show with Cool Designs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I consider the fact I lugged both of these to and from a meeting without anything breaking to be me cheating physics.

EDIT: Holy poo poo this picture looks like crap.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 4, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The thread title reminded me of a neat service I found recently. Do you want a webshop exclusive but don't want to pay/wait for GG Infinite? I guess you could e-mail the guy running Gentei Kits and hope he picks it up, but you could also just use Yokatta Web.

These guys are basically the most convenient middleman around. For a measly 700 yen per every three items (with some restrictions based on if the item is in limited supply), these guys will place an order and then ship it to you. Service is fast, there's a bunch of extra bells and whistles, and shipping options are very flexible. Paypal and Western Union are both accepted.

Only weird thing about them is that the prices they list on their on-site list of available pre-orders are a little off. I think they're factoring in shipping?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AGE-3 O and F. It was never announced, but technically AGE-1 FG got canceled too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

5800 yen is $51. EMS should be about $20, so that's $71 total.

For comparison, GG Infinite is asking for $72 before shipping and the cheapest thing on ebay is like $90.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What am I even looking at.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Psychoframe's painted. Now I just need to prime and paint the regular plastic (or resin, in the XC's case) and this ridiculous build will finally be over.

...And then I can get to work on the details. :shepicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

If you were going to paint it anyway, what was the point of getting the blue psycoframe? Or is that not for your Plan B?

Huh? I had three different colors of clear plastic, had to get them all the same somehow.

Maybe you're confusing me with Aces because I didn't even get the Phenex.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We both are, actually. :v: He's sticking with the standard color scheme, I'm going with metallic green.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MJP posted:

As to Unicorn psychoframes, if I ever venture into one, Alclad Scarabeus for the inner parts is going down.

http://alclad2.com/finishes/prismatic-holomatic/alc-201-scarabeus/

SHIFTA PAINTJOB BRO

I actually tried this! It doesn't work.

At all. That's four coats of Scarabeus there if you're wondering. Under heavy light the effect worked, but otherwise it just looks black. I tried spraying it on top of metallic green to see if that would work better, but nope.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's perfect for that. Just make sure you put it all the way in.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

In what I can only assume to be a sign that my love of Gundam X is just, I just won a 1/100 Airmaster Burst on eBay for the entirely reasonable price of $17.50! :dance:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MJP posted:

With Alclad's stuff you gotta use the gloss black base and go light.

I did. :ssh: The only reason I did four coats was because it was just as dim at two.

Honestly the best results I've ever gotten from the holographic finishes is the spectral chrome on a metallic. And that didn't actually give me a rainbow, it just made the metallic shiny as gently caress.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm torn of I should paint the inner frame green or just leave it red. If I paint it green, it won't be transparent anymore.

Paint it. The transparent parts look way darker than they should be except under heavy light, and there's no way to fix it since the MG was made before Bandai realized you have to back transparent pieces with silver foil stickers to make them pop.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Two light coats of Alclad Gloss Black Base. I have friends who have also tried to use alclad's holographic finishes, and it's pretty much universally agreed that they don't show up at all except under sunlight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

GG Infinite's started its holiday sale. 10% off on some webshop exclusives and action figures, and a measly 5% off the PG Unicorn preorders. Everything's still overpriced as hell. :geno:

I guess if you want a MG Norn or a RG Astraea F, it's better than nothing?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mr Color GX 205 Metallic Green over a gloss black base.

Mr Crystal Color Tourmaline Green if you want something fancy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I painted every single kind of psychoframe runner and still had half the pot left over.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A picture of a MG Gundam X is more than enough to satisfy me.

If we're posting club photos, here's a random dump of photos my club members took of us screwing around during a tabling session.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A friend informed me that Origin Time is providing the entire MG FA Unicorn plan B accessory pack for only $32.

I think I just died inside.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I almost considered picking it up and turning my spare Banshee into a plan B as well, but that would just be stupid. Making a FA plan B Unicorn mode wouldn't work either, since it's not physically possible to have both the XC and the DE mount co-exist when they're folded up.

I'm not actually sure what to do with my Banshee honestly, so I just donated it to the club as a public domain kit. Maybe it can just be vanilla Destroy mode?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Waterslides need to be dunked in water to activate the decals. Then you just slide them off onto the plastic. There are two chemicals you can use afterwards, decal setter to speed up the drying process and improve the adhesion, and decal softener to slightly warp the decal so it conforms to nonstandard surfaces better. They're both basically the same chemical at different strengths, so just stick with setter.

Revitalized posted:

So I see there's the "Robot Damashii, The Robot Spirits" line of figures. What about Fix Figuration? Which one tends to have better quality?

It's complicated. Fix Figuration is a technically dead line now, but it was a bunch of nonscale figures of Gundams whose designs were based off of Katoki's drawings. Each toy usually had an absolute poo poo ton of accessories (GFF Gundam X came with the parts for the regular GX, GX Divider, and a G-bit), but they were also super fragile and not very posable. They're also hellishly expensive.

The Robot Spirits is essentially the successor line, which branched out from just plain Gundam into all sorts of mecha anime. They're a lot more durable (though sometimes poo poo won't stay on well), and in recent years the articulation has improved dramatically. At the same time the accessory count has dropped significantly though; just look at the original RD Crossbone X2 Kai (came with a cape, a beam pistol, a buster launcher, a beam zanber, a beam shield, brand markers, beam sabers, a cloak, and a shot lancer) to the recent RD Crossbone X2 Kai Full Action (beam sabers, buster launcher, a bunch of blade hilts). Unlike model kits, RDs aren't constantly in production so if you miss a sales window it's either scalpers or hoping Bandai decides to do a reprint.

Katoki also has a line of personally designed RDs, which are usually webshop exclusives. And GFF Metal Composite is a really weird thing that is in the case of the RX-78-02 an amazingly detailed and hilariously expensive masterpiece, and in the case of the Unicorns literally just the MGs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Ah I see. But why include both adhesive decals and water slide decals in the same set? Why not make them all one or the other?

In the case of MG Red Frame, it's because the decals on the Tactical Arms are so drat big that a rub-on wouldn't really be feasible. Or at least that's my best guess.

Speaking of that, I checked just to make sure and yep, MG Red Frame doesn't have waterslides. The green sheet you were presumably talking about is just a set of stickers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RDvKa Xi was released a while ago, the new RDvKa Penelope just comes with a missile pack for the Xi.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh neat,

RD God Gundam (on the right) is almost exactly 1/144 scale. Hell the only difference is due to a redesign, so it basically is. The rest of the RDs should also be close, so this is the closest we'll ever get to the HGFC line we all dream of.

poo poo, how did I go from buying model kits to buying action figures

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Master and Shining already have release dates, and Rising and Fuuinsaiki were shown last expo. Supposedly this is how they're celebrating G Gundam's 10th anniversary, so hopefully they won't all just vanish into the pit of forgotten prototypes like the GP-01 fb or the Airmaster Burst. And hey, maybe they'll release the full Shuffle Alliance.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A reminder that G Gundam bombed in Japan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, two weeks until the big gunpla expo. Here's hoping it'll blow the Tamashii Nations' showing out of the water!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Model paint is really thin. You should just be able to prime over it with gloss black and continue on your way.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, but it's an extra $40-50 and frankly I don't want to pay the extra in addition to which I don't have enough MGs with weapons I don't like that much to replace with the Full Armor pieces.

Get a System Base, stack the weapons on the racks, done.

EDIT: So I was looking up reviews to see how close to 1/144 the Wing RDs are, and first off they're in the same situation as G where it's close enough.

Second off, apparently while nobody was looking Bandai retconned the WZ to be the same height as the Wing. :v:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 9, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I actually went and crunched the numbers, and at 1/144 scale the difference in height between the WZ and the Wing is small enough to be insignificant. Proto Zero is totally busted, but hey that's what happens when you reuse inner frames.

The standing pilot figure for the MG Turn A is pretty explicitly not 1/100 though. Just compare it to the cow.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So does anyone have any advice/guides for a first time painter? Trying to make this picture into a real gunpla.

Let's see, that's the Shining's head/arms on the F91's chest on the the DX's bottom half with a different thruster on the dick, right? First things first you'll have to actually check if the F91's torso even looks alright on the DX's body. Luckily for you I actually have both, so let me just snap them together real fast and see.

It looks... alright, I guess? That odd black bit in the center of your lineart is presumably supposed to be the white piece on that connects the DX's torso to the waist, but that's incompatible with the F91.

As is, the connection between the the waist and the torso is a little weird from up close but serviceable from afar.

As for actual painting, you're lucky enough that all of the orange bits are actually separate pieces. Grab a spraycan of orange and just go nuts. The red, though, will actually require some detail work, so look up the handpainting posts from a while back. You are again lucky that it won't be very tough, as the HG DX's legs were designed to be easy to paint the details of while the F91's chest is also easy enough to paint. You'll have more trouble with the F91's vulcans and the two toning on the DX's front skirt armor, honestly.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I guess spamming forums is about as productive of a use of time as building plastic toys.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You know what?

My HG Turn A can suck it, the MG's keeping this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Calendars don't come out until the month actually starts, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That is it, yes. The Red Frame Kai has a different backpack.