Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

New thread, and I'm just starting a project for the first time in ten years. When I was a child, I only did snap together. Now I'm doing a Thunderbolt Zaku II in a Build Fighters color scheme. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What do you guys use for stripping acrylics from plastic without hurting the plastic? I dorked up some of the painting on my Zaku, and want to start from scratch on that part (especially after doing things properly on another part).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh good, so it wasn't just me. I'm not happy unless it has enough guns to level a city block, or be classed as a war crime the moment it fires at something.

Now gimme an HGCE Buster Gundam, Bandai. :arghfist::sigh:

If you want warcrimes, you want the Duel, and a mockup of a civilian shuttle. But I'm with you here; I love big backpacks and I cannot lie. If it doesn't look :rice:, it needs some fins.

It's one of the reasons the Kampfer is on the list of must-buy kits. It's got boosters, spikes, and guns out the rear end. Its the Tokyo Drift of mobile suits. Which after I finish my Thunderbolt Zaku II (tomorrow I'll be dedicating a lot of time to this because I also have to do this 'unplug for a day' thing for my health class), Kampfer, Sinanju, and Kshatriya are up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

I should hope the Powered GM Cardigan is going on your list, then. That thing is made of guns and I can't wait for it to be released.

:ssh: I'm painting that Zaku in Cardigan colors. Or in my first-gunpla-in-ten-years impression of Cardigan colors. Also, it's out. Just on back order. Because its made of guns, presumably. Reminds me that I need to order the HG Powered arms.

:spergin: METEOR shouldn't even be considered in this because it's designed to allow the Freedom and the Justice to engage a large amount of targets simultaneously. And there's nothing to suggest the giant fuckoff beam sabers are any more powerful than what you'd expect for a beam saber scaled up to the size of a battleship cannon. :spergin:

edit: Oh man, the Ez-8 team from the last episode of Build Fighters is getting a kit, and it's got feddy radar dishes. http://www.gundamplanet.com/hgbf-ez-sr.html

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 18, 2014

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

muike posted:

oh my god the skull on the HG crossbone's head is molded individually and it's terrifyingly small

Summon your inner wargaming nerd.

Yesterday I knocked out a twofer; Holistic health "unplug for 24 hours" and put in some good time on my Thunderbolt Zaku II. I learned a valuable lesson; thou shalt not prime before snapbuilding. Putting the thruster pack together after getting it all primed up was awful. On the other hand, I'm on to painting acrylics, panel lining, and dullcoat, in that order.

There's going to be some dumb sprue marks that I wasn't able to or didn't notice to file off. :smith:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I didn't like the Papilion, I'd much rather build miss Sazabi, it looks more poseable.

Do me a favor: please give the Miss Sazabi funnels. It bugs me that every time I look at the model in pictures it lacks the special snowflake weapons. I think it's a rad looking suit, though. Shame it only saw action for half an episode.

edit: something related more to modeling; has anyone here experimented with using florescent clearcoats as a gimmick for their kits? What kind of results did you get?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 22, 2014

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

Blah, winter is here. My basement where I paint has dropped to around 50.

Paints are fine with the airbrush, but the top coat I use (Liquitex Matte) spits white blobs. Even warming it by the heat vents, and thinning doesn't help. I'm thinking the compressor air which is not heated is what causes this.

C'Monnnnnn spring time.

gently caress.

I feel your pain. I don't have an airbrush yet, but it's bad enough trying to keep a steady hand and be comfortable while working in a room that probably doubles as a refrigerator (unfinished attic space connected to my bedroom). And it's the only place to use rattlecans when it is winter in Michigan.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

madpanda posted:

I thought it was zeo zeong on the show.

That's how it was translated in the sub. Instead of a Sinanju core, it was an old-school Zeong.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have a classic red steel toolbox from my minis days. Organized it is not, but the metal sides are very convenient for taking my work on the go, since I'd put magnets in the bases of all my minis. Stick them to the bottoms and sides of the toolbox, and they don't move around when you transport them. Of course, I don't have a massive number of paints either, so this box mostly exists to keep the paints, brushes, and tools I need for a specific project, and that project itself, safe and mobile.

Now, I have a plastic paint caddy that holds brushes too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What are everyone's opinions of the RG Zeta? Is it well designed? Does the transformation gimmick work well?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Thanks. Got the Zaku II 2.0 since it was cheap, had Amazon Prime, and I adore that design.

I was just about to third the Jesta. As far as GM derivatives go, it owns bones even though I don't have the plastic kit yet.

The next thing on my list is to get an airbrush setup though. I want to make some crossover dioramas between Ace Combat and Gundam (Gundams with famous Ace paint jobs), but I need better tools and more practice before I give that a shot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I'm not even kidding when I say that buying an airbrush and compressor has saved me money in the long run. Painting a kit makes it so it takes a lot longer to finish, and I buy way less kits because of it.

This gets asked every three pages, but what is a good entry level airbrush setup? My backlog is a Kshatriya, and while my work room is too drat cold right now for me to work comfortably, I'd like to do it 'right' once I finish my first Zaku ever, which I'm brush painting. Compressors and wands are expensive though, so I want goons to do my thinking for me.

And also, it might do to put the tutorials and supply suggestions back in the OP. I reference the MK3 thread from time to time for those links.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'd try asking around in the miniature painting thread in TG but what I see recommended the most are the Badger Patriot and this cheap compressor that's sold by a million different people on Amazon.

There's a general resistance to talking about being in the same sort of hobby space as warhammer players around here but if you just want general advice about how to deal with acrylic paint either through regular brush or airbrush you can't beat that TG thread as a resource, at least on these forums.

It's less about working with pants and more about not knowing jack or poo poo about compressors, airbrushes, or airbrush accessories.

BlitzBlast posted:

What resistance? Closest I can think of is people not wanting to support Games Workshop, which is more of a "wow gently caress those guys".

Another airbrush to consider is the Iwata Revolution.

What I have right now is basically a bunch of Citadel paints. In retrospect, younger me should have bought pretty much anything else, but you work with what you have.

Incidentally, that muddy yellow on the GM looks exactly like one of the test bed yellow mixes I ended up with when loving around with mixing yellow paints a few weeks ago.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sure, but the Unicorn wasn't gundamjacked. It was a gift. Come to think of it, I think the only stolen PG is the Mk-II. I guess the Freedom counts too. Point being this person stole the wrong gundam.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

The Build Burning on the whole has excellent articulation and posing (I think I saw a photo of someone who was able to pose it into a one-armed handstand??). I'm a big fan of the way it's wrist joints are articulated too.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/10/hg-1144-build-burning-gundam-review-by.html

No handstands, but now I'm convinced that I need to recreate the meditation scene in Empire Strikes Back with the BBG and the God Gundam.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

You dig giant robots!
I dig giant robots!
We dig giant robots!
Chicks dig giant robots!

This is OP material right here. True gunpla spirit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No gunpla, but I should have enough money now to buy myself an airbrush and compressor. :toot:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

drat you and your healthy not-Canadian dollar. :argh:

Turns out oil production isn't the best measure of economic health right now. :smug:

Warmachine posted:

No gunpla, but I should have enough money now to buy myself an airbrush and compressor. :toot:

This post, though, was a lie, as one of my roommates got me an HG G-Self.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I bumped my new G-Self to the front of the line, partially because it was going to be an easier job to build and paint, and partially because it gave me an excuse to go out and buy new paints. Trying out Tamiya stuff for the first time, and boy do I now hate Citadel. No more Warhammer leftovers from now on. I'll deal with the risk of getting high off of the toxic, flammable paints.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Does anyone have any advice for making joints tighter? I finished the G-Self's body, and it has some serious problems with the shoulder and hand joints popping out. I... uh... also cracked one of the photon frames when I was trying to remove it. I'm guessing there's no way to get replacement parts in the States outside of buying another G-Self, huh?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

cover it in dried superglue

This was the first thing I thought of, but second opinions are nice.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Man, the Ez-SR is such a cool looking kit, especially since it's three designs in one, but the one thing that drives me up the wall about it is the colours.

It looks unpainted. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

This is a surprisingly easy fix. :v: But yeah, unless I was going about trying to make some prototype RX-78-3 style Ez-8, I'd slap traditional Ez-8 colors on it. Honestly, the parts in the Ez-SR kit could make some nifty OYW dioramas.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kibner posted:

You have no idea. I also have an Acguy, Gold Acguy, MG Acguy, Z'Gok, Gogg, and Clear Juaggu,

You and Sharkopath are going to be best friends.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My Newtype resolution is to finish the G-Self, get an airbrush setup, and start my Kshatriya. Bonus boss is getting myself an HG FA Unicorn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kibner posted:

I haven't gotten to that episode in the series, yet, but that was an amazing one.

Build fighters is a 26 episode toy commercial, and it's fantastic. But nippers are the only thing you really 'need,' especially if you have a good pair. Now, once you've had a taste, and follow this thread more, watch more episodes, and catch a glimpse of the highest of highs in model building, you'll want to look into that X-Acto knife (and lots of spare blades), sanding sticks, paint and paint accessories, gap fillers, tweezers and decal softener for putting those fiddly slide transfer decals on...

The journey of 1000 MG GX's starts with a single pair of nippers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, a white with streaks and stuff would look nice, and appropriate for that fighter look. The alternative to the red would be to go for a more WW2 fighter camo paint, but I have no idea how well that would look in the end.

Where the hell would you start watching the show? There's like a million Gundams, right?

I suggest snap building it first just to see where all the bits end up when in the two modes. It'll give you a better idea how you want to do the paint job. Nip and sand the nubs, but don't bother with paint or decals until you figure that out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I just grabbed some Mr. Surfacer with my plasma money (literally plastic crack...), any tips/tutorials on using it? I'm guessing brush it into cracks, swab with alcohol q tip to clean up any excess, dry and paint?

edit: You can never have enough jims. Get two more cold types for a full squad, and a second sniper so the first one has a spotter buddy. :yayclod:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Thanks. From just looking at all those moving parts and such I'm thinking it might be easiest to paint the armour plates and such separately, and then assemble them. Is that a reasonable way to go at it?

The reason I suggested what I did was on the off chance you were doing an asymmetrical paint job. Snap-building first helps eliminate some guesswork by showing you were each part will end up after transforming. If you wanted the best of both worlds, you can hollow out the holes a bit so that the parts come apart easier (at least for things like the thighs and forearms, head, that kind of thing that doesn't articulate) and then glue them together when you do the final build. I remember reading that tip in one of the old OP's guides.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Speaking of Tamiya and (inferring) airbrushing... any recommendations on hobby painting booths for spraying in? All the cheaper ones have a "Do not spray flammables..." in warning on them, and about 95% of the liquids on my hobby table right now are flammable as gently caress. I'm worried about singeing my eyebrows off or blowing up my bedroom if I try to airbrush things with Tamiya's solvent based acrylics. Is this a reasonable enough worry to invest in a more expensive painting booth, or is the risk minimal enough that a cheap booth/rubbermade tub with a bathroom fan and furnace filter is just fine?

I need to start planning for my tax money now.:shepspends:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The lightning illustrates the absolute power, of the snippers.

It's certainly doing its job and making me want to buy a pair. :stare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

I hate stickers more than I hate painting, and so I'm replicating the chest scar on my MG Turn X with Gundam Markers. I figure it's going under the transparent dark plastic, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but how long between coats would you recommend I wait to ensure I don't pick any of this silver paint up with my colored markers?

The stickers underneath the clear blue sections of the G-self have been my exception to the no sticker rule. I figure the panels are going to protect them from damage, so go hog wild.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

slightpirate posted:

Were you using a rusty pair of tin snips before? :gonk:

Those tin snips have been passed down in my family for generations!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

How well does acetone based nail polish remover work for cleaning up Tamiya putty? For cleaning a metal tool, not for anything involving the model itself (I know well enough that it can gently caress with the plastic something fierce).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Meanwhile, in Warmachine land, the G-Self's feet are stuck on coffee stirs with poster tack, waiting for me to fill in the bottoms before doing the final painting.

The rest of the G-Self is on an action base, waiting for me to finish with the feet for the rest of the model. I'm really good at talking about painting and not actually doing it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

FYI, the el cheapo harbor frieght kit is perfectly fine if all you are doing is painting pieces solid colors. You dont need anything better for gundams until you start shading and doing weathering.

It can also prime and topcoat just fine.

I was in my local Harbor Freight eyeing the compressor and an el cheapo air tank the other day. It didn't look terrible, so I may go in on it when I get the money ready.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ignore the plastic bag that probably had more supplies in it. Half the time I find buying supplies to be as fun as making the model. But yeah, my spartan fold-out table, paint carosel, and assorted other bits and bobs. Organization is for those whom's soul is weighed down by gravity.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

doesn't every model kit invariably end up sitting there and collecting dust?

Some have the potential to move. That's all they need, really.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My local hobby store had some coupons, so I picked up the HGUC Full Armor Unicorn today. 15 runners. :circlefap:

I really should finish the G-Self first.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Of course, it's really stupid and retarded to get miffed that someone who isn't used to watching anime goes diving into anime utterly blind and gets put off about it. Anime in general is pretty loving dumb, and while there's a big old exception in my book for the Gundam franchise, it still has stupid anime tropes like beach episodes and Mao's obsession with Misaki.

Buy plastic robots, build plastic robots, and play with plastic robots. Don't get sassy because some dude didn't like the anime the robot came from.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Or even something like Robot Damashii, which is Gundam designs, but as action figures, not models.

This is good advice. I had model kits as a kid, and they're not really meant for the kind of rough housing my friends and I got into with our robot action figures. Sadly, the Kampfer (and Amazing) aren't available in the line, but they do have some good chunky guys like the Leo and Zaku II. The Leo even has option parts, though they're expensive motherfuckers.

The hey-day of Gundam action figures was the early 2000s, when they were still airing Wing, G, and others on TV. You could find cheap but satisfying Gundam toys in pretty much every toy store. I think it was the Mobile Suits In Action series. Nowadays, ehh, good luck.

Literally The Worst posted:

Buy the Neo Zeong, it's the best move, year-round.

You continue to live up to your name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I... kinda want the Iron Kong now.

The Genosaurer is pretty sweet too. Zoids are pretty sweet. That's another collection of models that disappeared into the aether with my childhood. :(