Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I was all ready to blow my latest paycheck on a MG Tallgeese II and some more 1/100 X kits when I stopped, looked at the Gundam X shrine in the corner of my room, and realized I have enough kits.

It's like I'm learning!

I know what those words mean, but in that order they make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

They're... okay. I've ordered from them a few times with relative success (their cheapest delivery option uses low-rent couriers like Yodel and Hermes rather than Royal Mail which comes with a fair number of issues), but had a truly terrible experience with them the other week that has kinda sworn me off using them again.

Ordered a Build Burning Gundam and it was delivered by an absolute prick of a courier - he left it on the window ledge outside my ground-floor flat on a rainy day. That would be a fairly irritating incident on its own, but was compounded by the fact that Japan Cool had simply wrapped the kit's box in paper - no packaging box or padding/insulation. So once I got it inside, the kit box had basically been reduced to paper-mache and a couple of the runners were completely wrecked. I'll pull the photos off my phone later to show just how nightmareish the whole thing looked.

I got in touch with them to complain, and the owner was fairly apologetic and offered a free replacement with next-day delivery... Only it didn't show up for over a week. He gave me free delivery on my next order as compensation for that, but that's not much use when I'm probably never going to use them again.

As a UK Gunplar I generally find the best experience is just to order from Hong Kong eBay stores like tokyohobby and j3hobby and wait out the 10 day delivery rather than run the customs gamut from Japan or pay over-inflated UK store prices.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with their lovely packaging, and have moved to the Hong Kong eBay route. It's a pain in the arse, but it forces patience.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

Looks like I'll be finding out. I'm not going to pay eBay scalper prices for it, and the Yen's so far in the shitter that Gentei's price + shipping is a third less than the eBay listings.

Normally, someone like tokyo-hobby on eBay is my best bet in the UK since HLJ's prices are a bit better but the shipping eats the difference. Yen's weak against the pound and the dollar; I poked at HLJ and could get for £80 (inc shipping) what would be £120 on eBay. Then again, I'm buying mostly HGs (drat you, Build Fighters). Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but mostly because I don't have much space to store a backlog.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

For that much money you probably won't dodge customs so don't forget the 20% VAT and whatever Parcel Force decided to charge as a handling fee.

That's true for the big order, but I can ship it out in smaller batches with HLJ's personal warehouse thing. Hell, even if I do go nuts and get it in one big box, VAT + handling charge on top of the price is still going to be cheaper than eBay.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Not by much and it'll take a lot longer to get here. It's just generally worth keeping in mind that when you do pay a mark up for it already being in country even with relatively slow shipping/postage it'll get here a lot quicker than SAL or EMS, the latter because it sits in customs hell for around about two weeks.

I don't know where you're buying from that's shipping kits already in the UK, but pretty much everything I'm after doesn't have that option. The few that do are are priced ridiculously high. Tokyo-hobby or J3 have a significant markup over HLJ and still ship SAL or EMS. I don't give a poo poo about the wait because I'm already waiting a loving age.

Anyway...

BlitzBlast posted:

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

It's a mistake. I snagged one last night, got a refund this morning.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Jesus, I have like 10 unbuilt kits, 7 of which are master grades and I thought I had problems.

Current backlog:

Frame Arms Magatsuki (current project, but really needs the silver paint to pop)
Frame Arms Second Jive
HGBF Powered GM Cardigan
RG Strike Freedom

That's not a backlog for most people, I know, but I have a tiny flat with no space for more than that.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

This is from quite a while ago, but if anyone's after an RG Astraea, Gentei doesn't have the Type F but does still have the conversion parts available. You need an RG Exia, and it comes out white & blue rather than red & tan, but you end up with the same kit.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

To be fair I have one of the older kits but it has really poor colour separation. So be prepared to paint.

That said they could have gotten better since.

They're much better than they used to be, certainly (check out the Baselard on Dalong for an example). That's the Magatsuki with a new colour scheme, shoulder drapes, gun, outer leg thrusters, and bow-shield-thing. The Dalong review shows it unpainted so you can get an idea of the difference; it's mostly around the knees, the swords, and a couple of bits on the head. From the look of that image, it wouldn't surprise me if most of the gold (certainly all on the rifle and some on the shoulder drapes, possibly some on the leg thrusters) is paint rather than plastic. It's nowhere near as stark as some of the older kits, but it's more than the Wilbur Nine/Second Jive, which need little more than the shoulder tips painted.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Samba De Amigo posted:

That's good to know. I don't know too much about frame arms so originally when I was looking at the Doulger earlier this year I was kind of wary.

Considering the Baselard was released about a full year earlier then the Doulger shouldn't be too bad. I might consider grabbing it when I pre-order the new Magatsuki, the reviews I see of it don't look that bad.

That or maybe the Zelfikar.

The Doulger is the same base as the Magatsuki with different runners for the head/chest/weapon and a different default configuration of all the extra armour. As such, it wants about the same amount of paint if you want to make it look like the box-shots. If you don't mind that, the colour separation's great on its own.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MG DX.
HGUC V2AB
RG 00 Raiser

The Hi-Nu Brave and the MG Exia Dark Matter both look interesting too.

Ow, my wallet. This must be how backlogs happen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished the Powered GM Cardigan. It's a good, fun, solid build — much like the HGUC Jesta/Jesta Cannon. Apologies for the shite pictures.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

For anyone who's built a Gouf R35, what are parts H11, H12, and H13 for?

It's a rad as hell model, by the way. It's in a tie with Destiny for my favorite so far. It fits together really well, has a good range of motion, and feels solid.

Connectors for attaching the backpack thing to other models.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Looking at the manual, the Blue Frame D is literally something a kid would come up with.

Isn't that true of all the Astrays? Each one is one kid's attempt to one-up the others in the playground. "This one's got a katana!" "This one's got a giant sword that's also a flight pack and a gun!" "This one's flight pack is a giant sword, a bow, and a delta-triangle-thing!" "This one's gold and has the Blitz' combo-weapon and giant backpack hook-wings!" "This one's covered in knives and the knives are all Dragoons and they all do different things and it's got an Aile Striker but it's better than the Aile Striker!" "Well my dad works at Bandai and so mine's getting a Perfect Grade."

I don't think I'd mind so much if the basic frame weren't an over-detailed mess. I've panel-lined RGs in less time than it took to do the goddamn HG Blue Frame.

It's me, I hate fun. Also I woke up in a foul mood.

So as not just to bitch, I completed the Fenice Rinascita. It's a dream of a build. I think it pushes the X Maoh off the top-spot of "favourite HGBF kits".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

A good camera set-up really does go a long way.

In other news, Hi-Nu Gundoom is a bad kit with hilariously bad seams on the arms and gimmicks that were clearly added last minute. And I probably won't get around to fixing it until much, much later.

Yes. Yes it is. Worse, I got one of the second run where the white is actually a weird beige shade. It's currently my paint testbed where I can gently caress things up quite happily without worrying that I'm damaging a good kit. Also, the fuel tanks are weirdly fragile.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

What are everyone's opinions of the RG Zeta? Is it well designed? Does the transformation gimmick work well?

The clip things on the back of the hips are stretching the tolerances of the plastic when holding the MS legs in place. Transforming it can very easily over-stretch the clip, leaving you with one leg that you just can't pose.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Believe in the shrine to Zeta.

Zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta zeta Hyaku Shiki!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Today I learned that it's possible to build a MG V-Gundam with the cross-piece on the waist (F35) the wrong way around. Normally, parts with those flashes only really fit one way; this one fits quite happily both ways around. The only "symptom" was the hardpoints on the hips being the wrong way around for the VSBRs, which I never bothered with.

In entirely unrelated news, the torso of my MG V-Gundam is firmly attached to the waist for the first time in the nine months since I completed building it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We knew about the mocks hidden hardpoints but this is the first time we've seen them in action :allears:

Mock + two or three Powered Arms Powereders = Wuthering Mock, as piloted by Kate Bush.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nobody calls Yuuki uncrasamatic!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

GM Cardigan is a very good start choice in my opinion.

Hell yes. Built like a brick shithouse, plentiful weapons and shields, and a surprisingly good range of motion & poseability for something so bulky. My favourite of the Build Fighters Try kits so far (though I'm waiting on the Try Build Burning rather than the Build Burning).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This ZZ talk that was taking a while ago is very relevant given that Bandai is going to actually have a HG kit for the Trion.

Yesssss... :shepspends:

I mean, it's possible after watching the latest BFT that someone would not want the Trion, but it's one of those theoretical people that will never be observed in the real world.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Box art for the star winning, you can its HG transformation in the back.

:getin:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

RG 00 Raiser is up for pre-order: http://www.hlj.com/product/ban996427/Gun

HLJ must be anticipating a lot of demand considering they are limiting orders to 1 per person.

Y'know what I said earlier about not having a backlog?

Goddamnit.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

cool 2-pack frame arms for sale for people that like robots not always in the gundam aesthetic
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-SCL2-42910&page=top
comes with an anime short

I've been after a Hresvelgr Atelier for a while, and that deal is cheaper than anywhere else for that kit alone, even counting shipping and customs. That you get a recoloured Baselard with the Extend Arms is just gravy. The Baselard is a fun kit to put together, and those colours actually look better than the original. Anyone interested in non-Gundam models should jump at this one.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The Kampfer Amäzing only comes with 1 pair of weapon binders when it has 2 in the show. It's functional out of the box but incomplete without being the Amazing Weapon Binder set.

Only during its fight with the GM Sniper K9. In its earlier outings (e.g. the free-for-all) it only has the one pair.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So the MG Dark Matter does indeed come with a pilot figure. The Meijin, replete with over-dramatic coat, dorky scarf, and mind-control sunglasses.

I actually want the Dark Matter more now I've seen that.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Build Fighters added no less than three last-minute kits that got very little screentime - the Gouf R35, the Crossbone Maoh, and the Miss Sazabi.

Four: Fenice Rinascita

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Real Mode Star Winning, using stickers vs. painting.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Better shot of the painted Winning Real Mode.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

As if my avatar didn't make it quite clear: Want!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Has the Denial Gundam had an HG announcement before now? Because here it is, and it's out in March.

There's a display shot of the Tryon 3 as well, and I can't help but notice it's not being shown off alongside three robot animals. Bandai I demand a flimsy combiner, not this cheaped-out untransformable solidly-constructed HG robot :colbert:.

The SxDxG isn't being shown off in dragon form either.

Keep the faith. :shepspends:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dalong's review of the S-Gundam Booster Type has something that I didn't notice before.

That beam smartgun has a bipod. The S-Gundam is designed for space use. The Booster Type doesn't even have legs. What the gently caress is it going to rest on?

Why am I suddenly obsessed with this one tiny bit of nonsensical Gundam physics as opposed to all the rest? :confused:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zedd posted:

Its for resting it on an asteroid you are hiding behind while you play sniper. :sicknasty:

If an asteroid has enough gravity to rest a bipod on, you'd need legs to stand on it. :colbert:

e: poo poo, new page. How about that new MG Hyaku Shiki? GundamGuy has pics of it in release colours.

And the HGUC Guntank Early Type.

Can't wait to see a Revive Guntank based on this kit.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 27, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Finished the RG Astraea just now. Holy poo poo that's a fun build. It (and thus the RG Exia) feel incredibly solid. It's like the RG Strike before the backpacks gently caress with the balance.

Pics when I get some.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My MG Tallgeese I arrived with a declared value of ¥1000, so if you're in the UK, Sukiyaki Japan is also a retailer that "correctly" declares customs values. They weren't as fast as Toyshop Japan Hobbyone and didn't provide parcel tracking, but it still got here by the ETD.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to give them a shot once I've made a dent in this current backlog.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You're welcome. I got badly burned on HLJ (through no fault of theirs, obviously, since all they did was fulfil their legal obligation to declare things properly, but I still got hit with £26 customs/handling on a £50 parcel) the one time I ordered with them, so I'm not planning on buying anywhere except Amazon (where I've never had any issues) and have been keeping a list of the good Amazon Marketplace sellers.

Yeesh. I've kept an eye on what I've put in each shipment from the HLJ private warehouse, but not having to do that would be a great relief.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; dear Bandai: who do we have to murder to get you to release a RG Gouf that has all the weapons needed to make a regular Gouf/Gouf Custom/Gouf R35 in one kit? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

No RG Gouf Custom without an RG Ground Type for it to beat the poo poo out of. :colbert:

If they do, I bet the GM head and all the different backpack container weapons would end up being a web shop exclusive.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

There is a HG GX and a MG GX. Both scales are Good.

We now need an RG GX. If only so you've got to track down all the webshop exclusives.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I love HG Powered GM Cardigan to death, but it has a hard time standing up by itself. I always think, it's going to fall and hurt itself. I think its time to put it in the home.

Huh. Mine has been surprisingly stable, even balanced on the toes of one foot. You can do a lot for the balance by tinkering with the backpack arms to get the weight distribution just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

I just put the HG00 Astraea type F together and a few years has really made a huge difference in gunpla quality.

The RG Astraea (either the conversion, or the type-F whole kit) is glorious. I can't recommend it enough.