Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
someone i follow on tumblr started getting into this recently and that piqued my curiosity enough to order a couple kits myself and oh no, now im completely hooked. this rules, actually. its scratching the itch ive had since bionicle stopped being made!!

ive never watched gundam 00 but i thought exio looked neat!! (i hosed up and missed that i was supposed to put stickers UNDER the clear parts, whoops.)

ive got HG aerial coming on tuesday and its really hard to not buy basically every other GWitch mech too. both because of the price but also because i need to find somewhere to put them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh no, new hyperfocus

(ive got FM Aerial MG coming next week and part of me really wants Darilbalde too...)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

oh no, new hyperfocus

(ive got FM Aerial MG coming next week and part of me really wants Darilbalde too...)

:toot:
this one went together really smooth. both because i have better tools now, but also because Demi Barding seems much less finicky than Gundam Exio. Also the back mounted cannons rule.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

currently building HG Aerial, and this is probably my favorite one yet in terms of both design (which is why i bought her) and sturdiness. she is loving rock solid and it's great.

also gonna try my hand at panel lining soon. two questions:

1: do i need a top coat to prevent it from smudging down the line
2: in the event that I DO use a top coat, what should I do about the stickers, or, in aerial's case, the clear pieces on the torso? do I need to cover them with painters tape or something?

e: page snipe, have a chuchu

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 8, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

do y'all have any suggestions for how to not accidentally slice your fingers when removing particularly stubborn runners with the hobby knife, or is it just a practice thing.

i ask, because my thumb is currently very sore.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Tergaso posted:

Do you have a pair of sprue cutters? When I was younger I only used a hobby knife but a pair of sprue/side cutters/nippers make getting parts off the sprue 95% painless. Even a very cheap pair will be a huge step up. You can then use the hobby knife to trim the little bit of plastic on the part (the nub). If you've got money, a pair of nice sprue cutters will make it even easier.

But regardless of quality, your fingers and thumbs will thank you.
im using side nippers to cut them out and a hobby knife to trim the nub off. the issue is, the parts are very tiny and some of the nubs decide to be stubborn and then the stabbing happens

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

thank you thread for the advice

in other news: Aerial!!

no backpack or weapons yet, but goddamn she looks so cool

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just on the topic of backpacks; get the flight pack now-ish if it's of interest to you, reprints on accessory sets are spotty at best.
part of me wants it but another part of me is concerned that its a backpack which costs more than aerial herself when shipped. you'd think accessory kits would be like. Five bucks.

Prof. Banks posted:

Seeming to just replace nub marks with glossy patches is why I abandoned my glass files after a couple of kits. So if this is true it'll be big.
i was actually considering picking up glass files next time i was out just because replacing my sandpaper files was getting annoying. are they not actually that good?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I swear i havent been just doing nothing but building gunpla. its just like an hour each night and in a week I get a nice kit at the end. :3
chuchu! :3:

i like the way you did the weathering, it looks really nice

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

aerial... so cool.........

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

how obvious is it that i currently have a lot of time on my hands?
darilbalde concensus: pretty neat
i really like that they got a lot of different mech artists to design each company's mechs for G-Witch, it gives tham a lot of character. Darilbalde is chunky, but he's a completely different kind of chunky from the Demi Barding

Iriscoral posted:

Quick question, y'all do Girlpla here? Stuff like Bandai's 30 Minutes Sisters, Kotobukiya Frame Arms Girls/Megami Device, and various others
My first model kit was actually a Frame Arms Girl!

I probably should've stared with gunpla first, I didn't do so good removing her nubs and I kinda broke the joint of one of her arms, but I'm still happy with how she turned out. I'd get more of the Frame Arms series, but tragically most of the ones i like the overall look of & are in stock also have their underwear on full display, which i don't really care for.

I do wanna get the hatsune miku model one day though, it looks super cool

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

picked up the HG barbatos today for two reasons

1: i heard it was a really well made kit and it looks kind of neat
2, the more important reason: so i can steal its club and give it to the demi barding, because chuchu deserves a giant blunt piece of metal to kill things with.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

barbatos: pretty neat, love the legs, kinda annoying about of stickers but not too bad. I like the extra arm option.

demi barding: Now has a weapon worthy of chuchu

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

question for the thread
i have some of these type of panel lining markers on the way

would it be better to panel line pieces while they're on the runners, or wait until everything's assembled? ditto for topcoating

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

"i need to stop buying G-Witch gunpla kits" i say, before clicking confirm on my Gundam Pharact order,

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I checked the gundam site on a whim to see if they have any new stuff coming out, and not only DO they have new stuff coming out, but one of those somethings is:

Black Aerial

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2698166001001

it looks rad as hell and i will be Upset if I cannot get a preorder in. Possibly two, because it's only $15 and i might want to kitbash with it in the future.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

free Trapt CD posted:

I thought you could order this already through the 'Metaverse Project' they had going, but fair warning that I logged in and it's a bit undercooked at present.

You may also want to know that the 'recirculation color' models are made with recycled plastic, which is cool but can be a little harder to work with. All the parts are the same otherwise, and you'll always have the option of picking up a standard HG and painting, so maybe FOMO doesn't need to be a huge factor.
this post made me hopeful that i could skip the line, but no, it was simply a 20GB download to show off a mostly empty 3D shopping mall, which, upon clicking on aerial, just sent me to the very store page i linked.

:thumbsup:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

explored the local mall today, and found three different toy/collectible stores. two of which did not have any gunpla, and while the third DID have some, they were approximately twice what they are online, which is outrageous

(ie: Lfrith Ur was $40, when you can get it for $22 on amazon)

in other news, i just checked out that suruga-ya site, and

whoops

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

action stands are silly things

(god demi barding's arms are finicky. must've been a dozen times the joints kept popping out of the sockets, or the bicep came apart. i love the look of it, but its definitely not the sturdiest kit at all.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

decided to bite the bullet and order a nice display case because im running out of desk room and my mental illness is showing no signs of stopping. (because i also bought the michaelis in the same order)

Diet Poison posted:

Well gently caress, Surugaya just cancelled my order, saying my credit card was not in my name, which is not at all true, so gently caress them I guess. I knew that poo poo was too good to be true.
I'll eat my hat if this isn't a case of "well poo poo, we're not gonna make any money sending one $40 HG to Canada for free shipping, cancel that".
:ohdear:
well now im worried

I bought 5 things, so maybe they'll deem it worth their while??

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i really doubt the person in charge of CC validation cares about their boss's boss's boss's profits
fwiw my order for less than 40bux went through just fine
yeah you might be an outlier

this message from them is also extremely loving rich considering i tried to use paypal first and it didn't work

edit: the free shipping is currently still a thing but after this i dont trust them to not cancel the order again, or charge me twice, or some other horse poo poo, so gently caress it. the order on the site isnt listed as cancelled so who the gently caress knows.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 16, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I bought that cool black and blue ariel. I make bad life choices.
thank you for mentioning this, i somehow completely loving forgot it was monday and my phone's alarm didn't go off

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

today is my one day off this week. was planning to spend it playing with gundams

the package containing my glass files and my next HG has been delayed until "maybe by 10pm, probably by tomorrow"

pain peko

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

been using glass files today

conclusion: these are great. a little awkward in curved spots, but aside from that, much better than the 400 grit emery board i was using

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

should be illegal to post that but not share the CAD files
i wanna make a 1/288 scale gundam for funsies

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

El Burbo posted:

P-bandai pages up tonight, including for that WfM expansion parts set.
im slightly annoyed at that set because while i have all three (even if only one is built) the only weapon that interests me is the Michaelis'. I can't imagine ever replacing the Cool As gently caress Laser Lance or the Ridiculously Large Sniper Rifle

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Leak is a big oops, but I dunno how damaging it really is. Sales lost to people printing their own kits are likely to be a blip if even that, and the bootleggers were gonna do their thing anyway, so this gives them a couple months head start on one or two things at best. It’s still hilariously stupid though, and a fantastic sign for the future of this very cool and necessary “Metaverse” thing.
i imagine the sales lost are going to be a big fat 0 because bandai's plastic quality is head and shoulders above whatever you can print at home. i reckon most people who try and print stuff are just going to be printing weird poo poo that bandai would never make, or pieces for kitbashing

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

oh good. i was annoyed because i saw it this morning on my phone, but by the time i'd gotten home bandai had killed the google drive link and any copies on drive.
now it's safely on my hard drive where i can put it on the to-do list and probably forget about it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Pharact status: pretty neat

c-clip feet are a little weird and i dont quite understand why they chose to use them, but thats okay, i have an action stand.

also i'm realizing that when i get around to panel lining i will need to actually get a black marker instead of a grey one for him, huh.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Prof. Banks posted:

Suruga-ya is running free shipping again and I'm a weak person when it comes to deals, so three more kits are en route. :cripes:

I didn't plan on building basically every WfM kit, but at these prices how could I not! I'm going to be set for the next two years.
god drat you :shepspends:

...well, this time im using paypal, so maybe they won't cancel my order. I got the Beguir Beu, Beguir Pente, Aerial Rebuild, Lfrith, and a Demi Trainer Options Set (because it works for multiple kits and because Big Chaingun). Tragically they don't seem to have Lfrith Ur??

(I also didnt originally plan on getting every WFM kit but like. they're all really cool and good quality and the box art is beautiful and-)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I was also bummed about this. calibarn was always a longshot lol. also the flight unit looks to be sold out :smith:

technically off topic but if it were like ten or fifteen bucks cheaper I'd throw in a cool char quattro figure
i checked again with out of stock toggled and i did find the listing for Calibarn, Schwartzette, and Lfrith Ur, they're just all sold out

...calibard and schwartzette weren't sold out when they cancelled my first order though :argh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

next model's here

oh dang, that was the first model kit i bought

...i've only completed the legs because i did a little bit and realized i needed more experience to make it look good, so i bought an easy gunpla. and then i bought like 5 more gunpla. whoops.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

The p bandai Gundam Rose is so much nicer than the ancient Gundam Rose kit.

im unfamiliar with many gundam series but is that a gundam that is also a pirate

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

wdarkk posted:

It’s a Napoleonic duelist.

The pirate Gundam is a different one.

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, a chivralic French fighter

The pirate gundam is the Crossbone

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

G Gundam has all the goofiest robot designs. It is also the home of the tequila gundam (sadly no kit)

and the nether gundam

BisbyWorl posted:

Don't forget the horse gundam, piloted by an actual horse.
:allears:
i knew about the windmill one, but still

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

amazon has decided to torture me by delaying not one, but two orders of gunpla. why, amazon. stop doing this to me on my days off.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

started panel lining some kits tonight with the pour-style markers

consensus: the filling in of lines is very fun and relaxing but wiping away the excess with the eraser pen + microfiber cloth is kind of annoying. it's hard to get a balance between enough to actually remove the excess, and NOT remove the panel lines that are on edges/in big open spots

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Are you using a fill pen or a micro pen? The fill pen ones are a bit easier to clean, IMO.

i am using the pen which came with the markers, dabbing it onto a microfiber cloth, and rubbing that on the marks. its really easy to use too much if using the pen directly, so i only use it in big problem areas.

e: this type

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Nuebot posted:

But what if I need them later!
i saw one video that was like "hey if your kits ever get a big crack in them, or if there's a really ugly seam line you want to fix, you can cut up part of the runner & mix it with tamiya cement to get a perfectly color-matched adhesive putty" and since then i have not thrown out any runners, because what if i need them later

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I made the michaelis!

and then I panel lined it!!

question for the thread: how do I avoid little hairline cracks like THESE happening?

im trying to go as light as possible, but sometimes this still happens anyways, which is kind of a bummer TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ah. Did you give your model a clear coat before you panel lined? If panel lining liquids pool they can cause cracks on bare plastic. Especially in places where two pieces join and if panel lining fluid gets between those. What panel liners are you using?
I did not because no one ever told me that was important or necessary
and I'm using these:

Blaziken386 posted:

i am using the pen which came with the markers, dabbing it onto a microfiber cloth, and rubbing that on the marks. its really easy to use too much if using the pen directly, so i only use it in big problem areas.

e: this type