Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Psychoframe's painted. Now I just need to prime and paint the regular plastic (or resin, in the XC's case) and this ridiculous build will finally be over.

...And then I can get to work on the details. :shepicide:

If you were going to paint it anyway, what was the point of getting the blue psycoframe? Or is that not for your Plan B?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Maybe you're confusing me with Aces because I didn't even get the Phenex.

I am. I thought you were the one making the MG Plan B.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Have they ever released a MG SD kit before? Because I'd totally shell out for a MG Winning, doubly so if it transforms into a giant fist for the MG Build Burning.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You already have one as a protagonist, what more do you want? :v:

Did I miss an announcement? Which G Gundam kit is in Build Fighters?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

John Carstairs posted:

See the goofy face at the end of that post for your answer.

I actually kind of thought he was referring to Domon's silhouette or that Sekai is the living embodiment of G Gundam.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i can't unsee a big red ninja turtle

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
That's really fuzzy. Did you shake the can properly? Is it really humid where you sprayed?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zodar posted:

The red coat was come out really thick and grainy, yeah, even after shaking it for four straight minutes. I actually liked the grainy "pointillist" texture I was getting by under-spraying and leaving the black primer exposed in the recesses of the mold, but in retrospect I over(under?)did it in a few places.

What you can do is stir the can instead of shaking it. Also, if you let it sit in warm water for a couple minutes before spraying.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Okay, thanks for the advice. :)

Are more recent kits generally better? Like, would it follow that the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Ver.2.0 A.E.U.G. is likely also pretty decent given that it just came out?

I'm actually pretty sure that the Mk-II is either the oldest or the second-oldest on your list, but yeah newer kits tend to be better. There's a cutoff point where kits go from "awesome" to "pretty good" and the 2.0 MGs are just newer than that point. The X is the newest on your list and also the best for many reasons both relating and not relating to its age.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For comparison, in Super Robot Wars, the Wing Zero's buster rifles are slightly stronger than any other beam weapon.

Meanwhile, the Satellite Cannon has the same stats as the Ideon Sword. The show begins by saying, "A bunch of satellite cannons were fired, and now the setting is post-apocalyptic."

Personally, I love the X because it's asymmetric, like the nu.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tenzarin posted:

You mean Amazing Exia Repair, they better not make plain Amazing Exia because it was never even used. But if they did make it they will have broken the record of making a gunpla from a gundam in a show with the least screen time. The current holder is trans-am reborn's gundam since it was only in the last episode for 10? seconds?

http://dalong.net/review/hg/bf16/bf16_p.htm

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/11/1100-rx-78-2-gundam-animation-color.html

OH MY GOD.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PoptartsNinja posted:

The figures look fine, and everything else looks great (I don't even spot that nub you're talking about, but I admit I don't know where to look)!

One of the tricks I like for painting little plastic men is that, even if your hands shake, your hands tend to shake the same way. If you hold the figure in one hand and paint with the other while resting your forearms on your chest (keep your hands as close to your body as you can), the movement of your chest will tend to equalize the movement of your hands, so even though you're a bit shaky your hands will both be moving the same way. That lets you paint very steadily even with shaky fingers (like mine! :D ).

You just need to wear a shirt you don't mind accidentally getting a little paint on.

Easier than that: Touch your wrists to each other like you're handcuffed. Your hands will be forced to shake at the same angle and frequency.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Monaghan posted:

All right guys.

I want something big and dumb for Christmas. I haven't done a pg in about ten years. So far I've whittled it down to:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

Give me your thoughts. Should I even risk getting the PG unicorn giving that the multitude of problems that could arise?

Get the Unicorn. Be the sacrifice.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

W.T. Fits posted:

Believe in the shrine to Zeta.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ActionZero posted:

The backpack he made for the Amazing Exia could turn into a bird, Yuuki has always been an enormous loving nerd.

The first time you see the 10-second Amazing Booster docking animation in Build Fighters, it should be absolutely clear what kind of person Yuuki is.

He's like if Ryusei Date was also the hot senior at the school.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
poo poo I did not expect for Christmas: The January 2015 issue of Dengeki Hobby that comes with the 1/48 scale Build Burning head display stand.

It's molded entirely in white, though. Gonna have to wait until money is better so I can paint it up all nice-like.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

tsuki posted:

I picked up my first Gundam model kits on a whim and Ikea furniture is my experience level. Do I need special tools? Some pieces are left with a little tab after I pop them out.
The kits I have are Fenice Rinascita 1/144 and Gundam Aegis 1/100 (it's pink).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyY1yfC8p4

get some sprue nippers and do what this episode says.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, a white with streaks and stuff would look nice, and appropriate for that fighter look. The alternative to the red would be to go for a more WW2 fighter camo paint, but I have no idea how well that would look in the end.

Where the hell would you start watching the show? There's like a million Gundams, right?

Start with the original Gundam movie trilogy. Then ask for advice in the Gundam thread.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If 2015 really gives us an RG Qubeley, I will die in an explosion of cum and plastic.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Is the HG O Gundam basically just a less flexible HG AGE-1? "Actual" designs aside, I mean.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
My money's on Tri Burning, Lightning's new backpack, and Star Winning.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
In fairness, the description fits perfectly for each and maybe there was like a week delay after the initial magazine announcement or something.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I haven't had a problem with the RG Mk-II, and while I don't own the RG Exia it looks really amazing and I haven't heard any complaints.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Seriously, the only bad RGs are the RX-78, Zaku 2, and Zeta. Why the bitching about the line?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
New kits are:
Shia's unit, Gundam Portent

Portriat Flier

SxDxG Gundam

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

holy poo poo. this thing has more weapons than the crossbone maoh WITH the crossbone x-1 stuff.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Cant catch you if you are on fire.

uuunnnfff i'm gonna LED the gently caress out of that kit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get him this.

The Kampfer Amazing is a nice chunky kit with fairly simple construction, and only some basic stickers to worry about that are very easy to place (the white stripes and the mono-eye, along with the big yellow stickers on the backpack pieces), plus it comes with a nice range of accessories. It's also from Build Fighters, so if you watch that with your kid he can watch it turn up onscreen.

The finished kit looks like this. It actually comes with a matched pair of rifles, and here's a link to the Dalong review with the full set of pictures taken. Pro-tip with the stickers though; The yellow ones for just inside the barrels of the backpack cannons are much easier to place before you assemble it.

The only downside of the Kampfer Amäzing is that they misspell the name of the kit on the box.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

If you want him to get hype for getting Kampfer Amazing, here's a video of it's crowning moment of glory.

man, don't spoil that episode. it's really good and the kid's gonna watch the show anyway.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Dregs posted:

We actually just tried to watch the show and he hated it. The robot parts were cool, but most of the show seems to be about teenage girls gushing over various things. So that link is very appreciated!
there's like... 1 girl in the first episode, and 15 out of 20 minutes are dedicated entirely to robots.

you're both loving idiots.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
no, seriously, what show did you actually watch? because the only teenage girl in build fighters episode 1 is the main character's classmate who gets a total of *checks* 9 seconds of screen time.

edit: oh, you apparently did the opposite of introducing him to the show and were suddenly surprised when you weren't invested in any of the characters. classic.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Man, why are you people so defensive of this "Avengers" stuff? I fast forwarded to like an hour into the movie and it was just some black guy in a room yelling at people. Are all comic book movies just big courtroom dramas?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Dregs posted:

I...I don't want to watch 17 episodes just so that I can appreciate squeeling teen girls. I really, really don't. I think I'll just drop it now and stick to talking about the actual factual plastic robots.

I guess you've never seen Avengers, either, so the point is that if you cherry pick a tiny fraction of any media wildly out of context, of course it might seem dumb and not nearly as good as it actually is.

You're obviously not interested in actually knowing about this stuff, so buy whatever kit you want. The "$15-$20 HG kits" advice on the last page is more than enough to get you by. Like 90% of kits are worthwhile. Do whatever.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Mega XLR doesn't have any kits though. :smith:

PoptartsNinja posted:

In the PSYCO XLR!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So, the humidity was finally low enough for the first time in like 2 or 3 months for me to paint. I finally finished my Mk-II.

What a nightmare.

The RG Gundam Mk-II? loving beautiful. It was my first RG, and while I'm not a fan of cutting mesh tubes and I lost a decal, the kit was a joy to put together and an absolutely wonderful thing to play with afterward. I'm kind of shocked and appalled that people talk so much poo poo about the Real Grades after working with this thing. The Mk-II is flexible, sturdy, pretty, and comes with a full complement of weapons. I absolutely love it, and I can't wait for my next RG (although I know to avoid the RX-78, Zeta, and Zaku II).

The Build Gundam conversion? gently caress. The HG Build Gundam Mk-II is a 12-year-old monstrosity I've bitched about in this thread before, but it can't be restated. Having to rush the paintjob for weather reasons didn't help, either. The Build Mk-II uses a G-Reco amount of stickers for really basic poo poo that could have been easily molded in a different color (the V-fins especially come to mind, but the chest fins are another huge offender). The Build Booster's detail matches the rest of its kit, which means that it's really plain for a 2013 backpack which I had to use about half the RG Mk-II's decals breaking up. The backpack is gigantic and heavy, too, and since I didn't glue the torso straight it weighs the whole thing backward.

The conversion itself was a bitch. I had to partially fabricate a new core block to accomodate the new chest pieces, and the V-fin is just held on by glue. In spite of the rest of the kit clearly being designed not to work with the RG Mk-II, the backpack has an alternate plug designed for the RG Mk-II. The arm rifles just needed some cuts to fit properly, and the rest is history.

Now that that's over with, I can finally get to the rest of my backlooooOOOH MY GOD

I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Monaghan posted:

Your right about working on old kits being a pain in the rear end but keep in mind that the MK II RG is widely considered to be the best RG ever made. Also you may want to consider thinning your paints a little more, as there's some noticeable brush strokes on the v-fin.

good luck with the backlog.

I usually do (ex-miniature player), that's from humidity ruining the previous coat > cleaning it off > fixing it with a Gundam Marker. Gundam Markers are really finicky about application, it turns out.

The backlog is mostly 2 people's worth of Christmas gifts, although I inherited all of my girlfriend's unfinished kits, as well.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh man, the Hi-Mock comes on only 2 runners? That's awesome! I'm gonna make like a dozen!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
You're understating it. The sky opened and Kawaguchi literally descended through on a rainbow of wish particles. He then chewed out the entire cast for not having enough fun, triggered all the mid-season upgrades, and then peeled off into the sunset on a motorcycle.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Soul of Chogokin Gaogaigar just came out. It's not a model kit, but holy poo poo. Get it if you can.

Unless you're asking if you should watch Gaogaigar, to which the answer is yes very much yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Kampfer Amäzing only comes with 1 pair of weapon binders when it has 2 in the show. It's functional out of the box but incomplete without being the Amazing Weapon Binder set.