Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Demicol posted:

I haven't built or bought any gunpla since RG were becoming popular but I kind of want this. I don't even know what it is.
Will it be fully colored like gunpla usually is or would it require paint?

Looked it up online and everything points to the kit... Im also curious what the heck this thing IS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

It's as close as we're ever gonna get to a kit of the Rk-92 from Full Metal Panic.

Oh MJP I think you might be my soul mate.

What could have been :( http://www.gundammodelkits.com/alter-almecha-160-rk-92-savage-preview.html

EDIT: Went on eBay to see what the robot spirits one was going for. $100+

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 5, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If anyone was looking for one of those PERVY anime statues of Rinko Iori from Build Fighters I saw it was only $40/50 or so on HLJ while browsing the 'sale', down from $80 elsewhere.

Edit: I think the preorder is for February? I can't remember without looking in my order history.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Apparently Plamoya has the Robot Damashii Rk-92: http://plamoya.com/en/robot-spirits-side-as-savage-sand-color-bandai-robot-spirits-ful-p-11583.html?cPath=143_1019

Someone please tell me that it's as dumb an idea to plunk down $90 on a six-inch metal robot toy as it would be to plunk down $300ish on the Konig Monster from Macross Frontier :-(

I struggle with plunking down that kind of cash too. When I was in Hong Kong I remember seeing a bunch of Damashii for sale near ladies market (the 3 story building of toy stores with the official hot toys store in it) and they were all like 40 or less. Not bootlegs or anything. I should have loaded up (I only grabbed a second Arbalest) instead of going crazy with Hot Toys. They had Gunpla in the Toysrus too and they were dirt cheap. So even though I have no immediate plans to be there again, in the back of my head it bothers me that I pay such a large markup and I've sort of limited myself to what I'm willing to plunk down in one go.

Strangely enough though I think you should buy it... then sell it to me later for much less when you need some quick cash :P

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

I've been doing nothing but curved blades on Metal Gear Rex, which is now complete.

So uh... wheres the pics?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Man that thing looks good. Can't wait til I get mine and it sits on my backlog forever. I really want to rig mine up with LEDs though.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

So I finally finished Metal Gear Rex!

I'm pretty sure that the figures are going to end up in the hall of shame part of Traditional Games but for my first time out, I'm satisfied.

Album is here: http://imgur.com/a/wfC2w

Hey man thanks for sharing your build here. I'm looking forward to mine so I have to live vicariously right now.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

neo zeong has a brief cameo in build fighters, as a pile of broken plastic of course.

On a show designed to help sell model kits why would showing the Neo Zeong only as a pile of broken plastic be a matter 'of course'?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Get it while prices are reasonable at $80ish on Amazon for the black version, $72 to pre-order the gray version (GET THE GRAY ONE)

I just got an email from HLJ that they've taken payment so mine should be shipped soon. All said getting in earlier than Amazon' s March ship date cost me only $20.00 more.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I want a compressor that will outlive me. What are some good choices?

Also, is an Iwata Neo a good idea too? http://www.amazon.com/NEO-Gravity-Feed-Action-Airbrush/dp/B004INERK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405872753&sr=8-1&keywords=Iwata+Neo

It's not a 'real' Iwata airbrush, rather it's made by a different company FOR Iwata. I don't know how much the Iwata name matters to you personally.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Not the name, just convenience. I know any dingy compressor will do the job, just been saving for something that doesn't require high maintenance regularly. This thing for instance http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iwata-Sprint-Jet-IS-800-Airbrush-Compressor-/390434860741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7bb2ec5

If the Neo isn't a proper Iwata isn't important. Is it as good as one? If not, I can cough up for a HP-S, it's not that far off.

Here's a good review. https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/neo-for-iwata

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

use a credit card like an adult or admit you have a problem.

Don't do that, slippery slope.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Can anyone tell me when the model kits from Buddy Complex will be out? Need to achieve NICE COUPLING. All I ever find when I google them are the pictures from dengenki via gundamguy blogspot.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

orphean posted:

I didn't know SA had a gunpla thread!

BlitzBlast posted:

Before we can help, you'll have to give a little more details...

No... before we can help he needs to post his backlog of kits. Isn't that the way this thread really works?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Time to enable even greater laziness in non-painted kit building!

Muthafukka I'm on hlj backorder for a pair for a million years. Where'd you order that from?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

runwiled posted:

I hope you realise that a Tekkaman kit already exists? I own it.

And all the good ones are over 70 bucks.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kibner posted:

At the risk of sounding dumb, what makes the Godhand snipping tool so much better than a quality Tamiya snipper?

Yeah I dunno how much is hype, but I've read that it cuts so cleanly that it greatly reduces having to go back and clean up nubs. For people who want to go from cut and trim with exacto knife to just cut and move on.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Add replacement O rings and replacement needle springs to that list.

It can be tough determining when those kind of replacements are truly needed, so you should always ask a close friend or loved one to regularly check your O-ring for excessive wear and tear. Hey guys wanna come over and check my O-ring?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Dregs posted:

I looked around a bit on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-06F-2-Zaku-Zeon-Scale/dp/B0032ZD5P2/ref=pd_sim_t_46?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SQ5HVZP2CH2HGCSDDDP . He likes the beefier looking ones like as opposed to the skinny ones with huge guns and fins errywhere. Can you perhaps point me towards some more affordable models in this vein that would be approriate for a 10 year old.

How much are you looking to spend on the models? Cause 15-20 bucks for a kit is pretty baseline unless you are getting some really old kits that might have issues.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Dregs posted:

Agreed. I didn't want to open that can of worms though. I did like the Watchmen.

The robots actually look like awesome toys for an older kid. He is pretty excited to play with the Kampfer. Cheaper and cooler than Legos, IMO.

That Reconguista is awesome!

I think your kid is going to be a little disappointed since these aren't really toys to 'play with' the way action figures or legos are. Its a model kit, its poseable (usually), but meant mostly for display. If I knew a kid who wanted to play with toy planes I would look at matchbox or something, not a model kit.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Or even something like Robot Damashii, which is Gundam designs, but as action figures, not models.

Yeah I really like the RD stuff, but they start off at like 60 bucks and hes looking to stay on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

What we need here is another opinion. Peoples personal taste isn't what people should be focusing on. Let him like or dislike whatever he wants.

What people should be focusing on is where you spread your opinion. I like cars as much as the next guy but I wouldn't go into the Automotive Insanity subforum, ask for advice, and then thumb my nose and belittle people sharing their pet car passions with me, and you can always be gracious and be like 'thanks but it wasnt for us' and leave it at that.

Yakisoba!

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 20, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Reiji's Beginning G, Lady's Zero gundam, the turn-A from the guy at the fashion race and Aila's own BB Command gundam. Now I'm going to try and locate a Talgeese to paint it in Logan Greco's colors.

You are truly doing god's work here.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Suzaku posted:

The wire core of twist ties can also work. So can pipe cleaners, but they're harder to strip.

They also break with repeated use. They sell all kinds of wire for jewelry making at Michaels and other craft stores that might do the job.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

yet none of you guys bid...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm not paying 26 dollars shipping+customs for that trash.

You are going to regret that, we all will, when he gets crowned the new Meijin and it appears on build fighters where it one-shots the Tryon.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Good news is its been relisted!
http://tinyurl.com/lblkwxd

Edit: also I dig the weathering effect he did on it. Its like they built a giant ashtray and kept it in there instead of a hanger.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ka0 posted:

Are we still pretending the first half of Try wasn't as good as the rest thingie. I have trolling detection turned off.

Uh, no trolling from me, but I agree the start wasn't that awesome. To be fair though I'm comparing that to 1st season.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's finally a picture of the Star Winning in Real Mode, and it has a shot of the Snibal Drago Gira as well.

I'm linking it rather than pasting the picture, because I want to save the surprise of the Snibal. Just keep the image of that big badass dragon in your mind before you click the link.

I like the real version of the dragon more than the cartoon one.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

It's weird that I'm going to own way more kits from BFT than I do from the first season considering that I like the actual episodes way less.

I am the opposite. It felt like at the end of every episode of the first I was like 'got to buy that kit now too' a couple of which I got x2. I even bought kits of gunpla that were chumped or just in the background. This season I bought a couple kits, and none of them were from past the 4th or 5th episodes? And none of them the main characters suits.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Out loving standing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm not watching an hour an a half video to find the spot where he uses that

Yeah what the gently caress.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

So I finally found out the difference between Crossbone X1 FC verBFT and the inevitable regular one: its white runners will glow under UV light.

Kind of like the HG SBS RG Mode, though the X1's white seems more opaque.

Want this kit also, and I'm looking at uv leds... I just cant justify the purchase right now given my ever growing backlog.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

3D print chat: I had (its acting up) a ABS printer and have a resin printer I'm toying around with. That said, thinking 3D printing is going to "go a long way to killing Bandai's gunpla division" and other insane fear mongering is laughable. Its really cost prohibitive (non hobbyist printers) and production per unit is just too high to be worth while. Mecha Gojira has got the right of it, economy of scale vs. what basically would be garage kits in limited production. 3D printing hasn't killed the Lego anymore than any other lego knock offs have and they aren't terrible complex for that matter.

I also am amused to think someone is going to create a Bandai quality 3D model and just upload it for everyone to use. Usually when someone makes something really worth having they aren't giving it away, they are selling the prints not the model files.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Grimoire is a fantastic kit.

I was surprised by how few runners and parts there are vs. how nice the Grimoire looks. I'm going to paint mine this Monday.

Also got started on the RX-78 7-11 gold injected color kit and while I knew it would look gawdy (reason I wanted it), the ugliest thing about it is where the nubs are removed. Even if you cut high then file and sand there are always slightly discolored marks left behind, and I was really hoping to avoid having to dab paint on it because I don't think the color will match well. Oh well.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

An Angry Bug posted:

Seconding what boom boom boom said. GW gouges on price with most products, but their washes and effect paints are absurdly good.

I started experimenting with their paints too. One thing I gotta say that really makes it stand out to me is how forgiving it is. If you decide something looks like poo poo you can soak it in isopropyl alcohol and it comes right off, whereas Tamiya really need to soak for a long time.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So... you finish the whole kit, and prime the whole thing in one shot? Wouldn't that stick the joints, or I guess you just tape that up?

drat, this is a lot harder than I thought... I want to pick the right method :ohdear:

you can finish the model, then part it back into its major pieces, arms, legs, torso, etc. Also you can scrape paint off the parts where they connect thus removing the primer/paint/whatever so they dont become too thick.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mine is still on the backlog, but every time I see the Zaku Amazing I think its a sexy beast.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Got an email/charge from HLJ, some add-ons to the Valkyria Chronicles Edelweiss Model I have rotting on my backlog. Eh, might as well pick up the Giant Gatling to make the shipping worth it.

Not Gunpla/Plamo strictly speaking, but gently caress you HLJ for putting this on the front page right under the gatling you evil evil fucks:

I'm justifying the purchase in that I have a lot of robots and I need someone around who will make sure they behave themselves or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MJP posted:

Unrelated
HOLY loving poo poo, WE'RE GETTING AN RK-92 SAVAGE AGAIN http://amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-012810

I jumped on that preorder too, because the Tamashii ones are more than I want to pay for what they are... and this thing is amazing. It opens up for the pilot to enter the cockpit and comes with a ton of accessories. And I knew if I didnt order one I'd regret it forever.