Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Speaking of the danban astray pg, anyone have any opinions on it? I've been tempted to get it for a while now since its much cheaper than the Bandai version. Is the supposed lower quality worth the money saving?

I don't have it, but looking up reviews of it people seem to be impressed with it. Daban stated that they were using an improved method of casting so the quality is basically on par with Bandai's version, so you're not even really sacrificing quality for price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I'm doing exactly the same. What clear red did you use?

Tamiya Clear red.

Mecha Gojira posted:

What kind of gloss black base coat did you use for the Alclad? I know they recommend using enamel, but I hate working with enamels especially since the only ones I can get my hands on are Testors. I think I remember someone in the thread saying they used acrylics, though.

That was probably me! I used Tamiya Gloss Black. I've used it before and it always turned out nicely.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Speaking of Tamiya and (inferring) airbrushing... any recommendations on hobby painting booths for spraying in? All the cheaper ones have a "Do not spray flammables..." in warning on them, and about 95% of the liquids on my hobby table right now are flammable as gently caress. I'm worried about singeing my eyebrows off or blowing up my bedroom if I try to airbrush things with Tamiya's solvent based acrylics. Is this a reasonable enough worry to invest in a more expensive painting booth, or is the risk minimal enough that a cheap booth/rubbermade tub with a bathroom fan and furnace filter is just fine?

I need to start planning for my tax money now.:shepspends:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been using this and can attest that nothing has blown up, ignited, enflamed, or otherwise turned from not fire to fire or any fire-related byproducts, side effects, benefits, or detriments of fire. http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...ush+spray+booth

The exhaust hose is very stiff and hard to flex. If you want an easier life, I think it'll work with standard dryer exhaust line at Lowe's, but YMMV.

I think if you're going the DIY route, what you want is a bilge exhaust fan - something like http://www.amazon.com/Rule-240-Marine-Blower-4-Inch/dp/B000O8D0IC - although it's been a while since I checked out the DIY guides.

Also if you are doing this in your bedroom, get one of those office chair mats or something else to protect your carpet/hardwood from the inevitable spill.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

I thought Gundam names were supposed to be easier to remember than the ID numbers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I thought Gundam names were supposed to be easier to remember than the ID numbers.

Pretty sure trying to say that name out loud permits an Elder God entry into our mortal realm.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was going to say "it's just the hazenthlay II with the rah equipment" before i suddenly felt immensely broken as a human being

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't even figure out what's going on in that thing. The only thing I can really make out is that it apparently has a dick rifle. What are those giant pods supposed to be? How is it supposed to have any range of motion on its arms? Its long rifle that it's holding has a second gunport near the back that is pointed at an angle? That thing is a nightmare.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
all I can really see with that picture is over on the right what appears to be a Woundwort variant and now I'm reminded there is no woundwort kit.

E: also I noticed that Gundam Central site has a 1/100 Gerbera Tetra. Is that thing any good? would it be worth grabbing at all?

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 5, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Colon Semicolon posted:

all I can really see with that picture is over on the right what appears to be a Woundwort variant and now I'm reminded there is no woundwort kit.

People wanted one in Build Fighters Try, so maybe we'll still get lucky :shepface:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

E: also I noticed that Gundam Central site has a 1/100 Gerbera Tetra. Is that thing any good? would it be worth grabbing at all?

From what I hear it's an alright kit, it's just a fairly lovely version of the Gerbera Tetra. Try comparing it to the lineart; it gets a lot of stuff wrong.

Also no Sturm Booster.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I just moved into a new place and have a new shelves. Can I snag some posing ideas from you guys or critique on what I have? I'm not super pleased with what I have now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheManSeries posted:

So I just moved into a new place and have a new shelves. Can I snag some posing ideas from you guys or critique on what I have? I'm not super pleased with what I have now.

Break out the beam swords on some of them for variety.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Break out the beam swords on some of them for variety.

I wish the Leviatain could hold one. It'd give it one.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
Speaking of cool swords:

This was a fun birthday project. :toot: Gonna paint the sword details when I can. Super fun build.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

Can I snag some posing ideas from you guys or critique on what I have? I'm not super pleased with what I have now.

Here's a tip: watch Gundam Extreme VS videos. The quality can get awful, but you should still be able to make out the poses.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus H Christ, this thing's legs come up to just about the chest on a Unicorn, this thing is gonna dwarf everything I have that isn't 1/60.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gonna party like it's UC 0079 :getin:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hello Gunpla thread, I'm not really a huge fan of Gundams (I like 00 Season 1, and 8th MS, but hated SEED), but a friend teaching English in Japan sent me this HG RGM-96X Jesta about two years ago and I finally got around to making it. Could do a better job with more time, may well do one day, but this is where it's at now.

Last year my brother went there for a skiing trip with friends and came back with a HG Gundam F91 for me, so I guess I'll be doing that one as well some time in the next few months, given how easy the Jesta was

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Welcome to Gunpla. Now get to work on improving your posing. :v:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I didn't know SA had a gunpla thread! I'm putting the finishing touches on a RG Strike Freedom at the moment. I was glad to see Bandai vastly improved the wing unit from the touchy as hell RG Freedom wings. Just using some real touches for panel lining but it's looking great with the decals.

I took the plunge into getting an airbrush setup going and I want to go the fully painted route for my next kit. Lots of practicing on blank pieces of paper at the moment. Anyone have any tips for gunpla airbrushing? I was thinking of picking up some HGs to practice on before trying to paintruin a MG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Before we can help, you'll have to give a little more details. What kind of paint are you using? What kind of primer? What's the climate where you paint like? What do you want to do? And so on.

A generic tip is to always clean out your airbrush every time you finish or change paints. I'm serious, even the slightest bit of dried paint can clog your brush.

NTRabbit posted:

Hello Gunpla thread, I'm not really a huge fan of Gundams (I like 00 Season 1, and 8th MS, but hated SEED), but a friend teaching English in Japan sent me this HG RGM-96X Jesta about two years ago and I finally got around to making it. Could do a better job with more time, may well do one day, but this is where it's at now.

You might want to invest in an Action Base 2 or an Action Base 3; AB1 is too big for most 1/144s.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

orphean posted:

I didn't know SA had a gunpla thread!

BlitzBlast posted:

Before we can help, you'll have to give a little more details...

No... before we can help he needs to post his backlog of kits. Isn't that the way this thread really works?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I feel I may be falling to the curse of this thread.

Finished my Hygogg and want more amphibious Zeon suits, and also considering Gundam X.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Part of my new years resolution is to do another custom gunpla, so I'm going to have to figure out what. I'm thinking custom Turn A with a metallic paint job, but I think maybe I should try my hand at that color-change paint I didn't try before. I wish you could buy extra hardpoints for shoulder or hip mounted weapons in MG size.

I actually have a backlog right now! I'm going to start on my MG Turn X tonight. Then I might start on another shelving unit because the one I have now is NOT going to support more weight at the top.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Muffinlord posted:

Part of my new years resolution is to do another custom gunpla, so I'm going to have to figure out what. I'm thinking custom Turn A with a metallic paint job, but I think maybe I should try my hand at that color-change paint I didn't try before.

Isn't all paint colour change paint?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Finished my Hygogg and want more amphibious Zeon suits, and also considering Gundam X.

Get a Kapool. Hell, get five.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Isn't all paint colour change paint?

I suppose, yeah, but I mean paint that actively changes color. Usually it's auto body paint, but I'd love to have a color-shifting Gundam.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Get a Kapool. Hell, get five.

But Kapool doesn't have a HG :negative:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

BlitzBlast posted:

Before we can help, you'll have to give a little more details. What kind of paint are you using? What kind of primer? What's the climate where you paint like? What do you want to do? And so on.

A generic tip is to always clean out your airbrush every time you finish or change paints. I'm serious, even the slightest bit of dried paint can clog your brush.

Right now I'm using Vallejo's Model and Game Air line along with their Model Air Primer. To thin I've been using Model Air Thinner. By 'using' I mean 'this is what I bought to play with', am open to other options but the vallejo line seemed a good entry point with minimal faffing about. I haven't actually used any of this on a model yet.

I live in the pacific northwest so the climate is basically 'wet and cold' most of the time which makes priming outside a hassle. That was one of the appeals of using the Model Air Primer for me honestly. I really just want to start with doing simple and solid paintjobs and then work up into the areas where it seems airbrushing really shines like fades and gradients, etc. I've been super paranoid about cleaning the airbrush whenever I use it. I figure it's better to be too careful at the start, though it sounds like too careful maybe doesn't exist when it comes to these things :v:

Something I want to get sooner rather than later is some varnishes I could use with the airbrush. I was thinking a couple coats of gloss varnish to protect it and then end with a matte varnish. But yeah, really just want to eventually have nice fades and gradients and weathering all over the place but expect to work up to that level over time.

Blackchamber posted:

No... before we can help he needs to post his backlog of kits. Isn't that the way this thread really works?

I'm actually pretty new to the hobby. I've built RG Freedom, RG Aile Strike, RG Destiny, finishing up a RG Strike Freedom, HG Blade Burning, and HG Zaku I. I really, really dig the RG line. I want to step up to MG next and that's when these visions of airbrushing came to my head.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

But Kapool doesn't have a HG :negative:

Its 1/144, and well detailed and proportioned. Just a bit...fiddly, and not well articulated. Dirt cheap though.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Anyone tried Vallejo pigments for weathering?

http://www.thewarstore.com/VallejoPigments.html

They look like more product for the money compared to Tamiya weathering kits which seem to have the advantage of easier application.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't have it, but looking up reviews of it people seem to be impressed with it. Daban stated that they were using an improved method of casting so the quality is basically on par with Bandai's version, so you're not even really sacrificing quality for price.

It also comes with the diecast metal sword!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

No such thing as too many amphibious Zeon suits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dammit Bandai, why'd you have to go and put the one kit I actually want at the end of the month again? :negative:

I was hoping the Hi-Mock would be up first so I could pick it up as a birthday gift to myself. It's out on the 24th :sigh:.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Well, well, well, look what I found tucked away in some forgotten corner of my local comic story. A regular Astray.

Not a red frame. Not a blue frame. Not a Sengoku. Not even a Gold Frame. A regular goddamn Astray.

I didn't even know they still made these.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Well, well, well, look what I found tucked away in some forgotten corner of my local comic story. A regular Astray.

Not a red frame. Not a blue frame. Not a Sengoku. Not even a Gold Frame. A regular goddamn Astray.

I didn't even know they still made these.

The HG Astray was a new mold released a couple of years ago as part of the HD SEED promotion. The old NG 1/144 is still around too; this one is way better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bandai reprints all their stuff periodically. You can still get new versions of the old HGUC kits too. Besides, the M1 Astray's an HD Seed kit. The only bad thing about the M1 is it's based on the original Red Astray, rather than the new one built to modern HG standards (the one with the flight pack), so you're gonna get lots of detail stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Midjack posted:

The HG Astray was a new mold released a couple of years ago as part of the HD SEED promotion. The old NG 1/144 is still around too; this one is way better.

Yeah, I realized that when I found the bluefin sticker on the side.

I still like the M1 astray better because the chest intakes are larger. I'm not really a fan of Seed or Katanas, though, so I smell a bad kitbash coming. It's a good thing i never built that RG Destiny!